Should the game go buy to play?

If it wants to compete with current and upcoming competition, I believe it would be in its best interest to change its current revenue model.

I think the game, now more than ever, needs to go the buy to play route with an optional premium sub. The argument that this would increase botters doesn't really hold water considering botters are already very active and it means nothing for gold farming/selling, money making machines to pay 15 bucks a month, not that they need go considering botters can easily make the amount of gold needed for the token anyway.

Definitely no f2p though. I think annual expansion releases would bring in more money than they currently make besides profits made via the cash shop and indirect pay2win by selling gold/tokens...etc.

Currently, FF14 is basically free to play up to level 60 which is the only reason it's able to steal so many players from WoW. What are your thoughts?

I mean we can always say NO to this and let the game die in hopes of getting something completely new instead. Also, most players are now very jaded and wont get hyped easily no matter what they release next.

Everyone, at best, will likely simply wait for the last patch to experience things albeit at a tourist level, completely skipping buying the expansion and simply just paying 15 bucks for 1 month. THIS would be a massive loss, bigger than any other potential way to lose money.

I personally think it is no longer worth subbing to and this has now become my only way, if I ever decide to play WoW again that is, and if my time is not taken by another game, going forward.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2021-10-08 at 11:49 AM.

Have you ever played an MMO without a sub fee? Fuck that.

There's no good business reason to, in my opinion. WoW will always have a constant base of ~2-3 million or so subs paying every month regardless plus the transitory spikes in subs each patch cycle.

It's still excellent value for money as a form of entertainment as is. Sustained populations are unlikely to increase in general as MMOs of this type are more out of fashion compared to other genres.

Why exactly does it need to do that? It's still doing super good in terms of subs.

Just to have it filled with asshats who don't care if they get banned? And have everyone run around logged in on 5-10 accounts at a time?

No thanks.

You would have to provide Blizzard's bean counters with compelling evidence that suddenly depriving themselves of hundreds of thousands (or millions, no-one knows these days) of monthly subscription payments would increase their revenue, and I can't really see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    If it wants to compete with current and upcoming competition, I believe it would be in its best interest to change its current model.
    The exact opposite.
    The competition is the one still playing catch-up even after what, almost 2 decades?

If you don't want to play WoW, don't.

You are projecting so hard in this post, my god.
    I like the sub fee cuz it keeps away people like you. It's a net positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    The exact opposite.
    The competition is the one still playing catch-up even after what, almost 2 decades?

If you don't want to play WoW, don't.

You are projecting so hard in this post, my god.
    I like the sub fee cuz it keeps away people like you. It's a net positive.
    lol.

10/char

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not think for a moment that something like that would not be accompanied by a huge expansion of the store. I spend a lot of time in a B2P MMO (Guild Wars II) and love the revenue model but it would be a huge issue for those accustomed to how it is now in WoW.

I can easily imagine that 1-50 might go F2P before too long.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    lol.

10/char
    Intelligent comment.

You don't have to like WoW to know that it is still far the most profitable MMO on the market period.

No, Blizzard should release more content instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks. B2P is a huge invitation for increasing the store, and prices. The subscription plan is quite fine as it is.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I can easily imagine that 1-50 might go F2P before too long.
    This would be very good course of action. New people could test and explore game before deciding if they want to buy it. (I just came to realization how much I miss times when each game had it's own demo version).

I personally think it is no longer worth subbing to and this has now become my only way, if I ever decide to play WoW again that is, and my time is not taken by another game, going forward.
    Blizzard's job as a part of a publicly listed stock company is to maximize its profits.
    That you and others like you don't like the current business model does not equal that it is bad for the company profit-wise.

But you are a rational person and have stopped subscribing to a game which business-model doesn't suit you.
    On the other hand it seems quite irrational to try to make Blizzard change its business-model by posting here...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRik View Post
    There's no good business reason to, in my opinion. WoW will always have a constant base of ~2-3 million or so subs paying every month regardless plus the transitory spikes in subs each patch cycle.

It's still excellent value for money as a form of entertainment as is. Sustained populations are unlikely to increase in general as MMOs of this type are more out of fashion compared to other genres.
    I think current subs are around 60 to 70 thousand.

Clicked thread.
    Saw who made the thread.
    Immediately thought, "I'm sure this thread is going to be shitty and worthless."
    Read the OP.
    Got proven right literally before the first sentence was even done.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

I think current subs are around 60 to 70 thousand.
    Okay...
    So Blizzard as whole had a net revenue of 869 mio. US dollars in the first 6 months of 2021, which by the way is a whole 1 mio. US dollars less than the first 6 months of 2020, with only 60.000 subscribers for WoW.
    If we follow your logic then all the other Blizzard products have started to making a crapload of more dollars to compensate for this historic crash in subscribers...

You can check out the official earnings report here:
    https://investor.activision.com/stat...d-d709cdcd48a0

And you want Blizzard to listen to you...

The thing is: With the amount of immense content draughts we had in the past and especially in the current expansion its really hard to justify a sub fee tbh.
    Then again you can cancel any time.
    On the other hand you have the shop that now also offers transmog sets and you have the Token, which is an obvious p2w mechanic.

So yeah, the sub fee should really fall at this point. I hate it, I would 100% prefer to have sub fee only, but they will not go away from the token and the shop, so the fee hast to go, its that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Game vs. Game" and "I Quit" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead