Quote Originally Posted by Osperand View Post
    Everything you point out as a flaw, could be said the same for WoW.
    The best part about wow is the raids. Large group end-game pve content that takes a lot of coordination and has various difficulties you can either slowly climb through or blast through and enjoy a vacation till next content patch (if your team is skilled enough).

While they're slow at releasing them and they also have a metric ton of chores in the current iterations, at least you KNOW the raids are coming and can take solace in that.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    The best part about wow is the raids. Large group end-game pve content that takes a lot of coordination and has various difficulties you can either slowly climb through or blast through and enjoy a vacation till next content patch (if your team is skilled enough).

While they're slow at releasing them and they also have a metric ton of chores in the current iterations, at least you KNOW the raids are coming and can take solace in that.
    The raids are part of the repetitive grind. Wiping hundreds or even thousands of times each raid tier will eventually become boring. Just like doing the same quest or dungeon. If you enjoy raiding aka wiping dozen times because bob doesn't understand what he has to do with the fire that's fine but don't think that this is the ultimate endgame that every game should aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    Except it's far more efficient in NW PVE to just use some health buffs and mindlessly click until the target dies.
    Maybe fighting one thing at a time. You'll also go through potions really fast. Try fighting 3+ at a time or two elites and see how long it takes to land a hit as you're chain staggered.

New world has plenty of flaws, but the combat is one of the best action combat systems I've seen in an MMO and the enemy AI is a big part of that.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Maybe fighting one thing at a time. You'll also go through potions really fast. Try fighting 3+ at a time or two elites and see how long it takes to land a hit as you're chain staggered.

New world has plenty of flaws, but the combat is one of the best action combat systems I've seen in an MMO and the enemy AI is a big part of that.
    I personally thought the combat in Black Desert and Guild Wars 2 was a lot of fun compared to New World. I don't hate NW combat, it's average in my opinion. However, the game has many issues other than "AI" and "Combat" nonsense bandied about here.

Fundamental things such as achievements being broke since launch. UI elements that won't go away; even skirting by a rift cause ABANDODONED EVENT notification plastered on your screen till relog (and re-queue potentially), quests being broken routinely, falling through the world while mining being common, etc. Like the very basic way the game communicates to the player is often, busted or actually nonfunctioning.

I do find NW a lot of fun to play despite its many flaws, granted. Though giving a flying shit about the city layout or random wolves/zombies following you is misguided when other elements don't even work.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    The raids are part of the repetitive grind. Wiping hundreds or even thousands of times each raid tier will eventually become boring.
    I'm fine with them becoming boring eventually after we beat them some amount of times. I don't mind taking a brake from a game and waiting for more new and novel content to come out. On the contrary, I'd rather video game devs fuck off with their "perpetual grind" bullshit so they HAVE to keep developing new and novel content to keep me coming back, but we all know why they don't want to do that.

Game tiers work like this for me:

1) Lots of content [x] Hard to master [x] high reward agency [x]
    2) Lots of content [x] Hard to master [x] high reward agency [ ]
    3) Lots of content [ ] Hard to master [x] high reward agency [x]
    4) Lots of content [x] Hard to master [ ] high reward agency [x]
    -
    5) Lots of content [ ] Hard to master [x] high reward agency [ ]

and I basically don't play games of any other combo.

NW existing as it currently does seems to just have high reward agency and nothing else. Appreciable in a sea of games with endless grind fuck fests, but not my primary concern when playing games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Though giving a flying shit about the city layout or random wolves/zombies following you is misguided when other elements don't even work.
    It isn't misguided to offer critiques of things they don't like just because it isn't something you find to be a big deal. The reused animals and buildings does add up with how reptitive stuff gets. There are some differences outside of the starter zones like Weaver's Fen is a stilt city. But when the animals are all the same. Turkeys, felines, rabbits, etc are all the same with small color variation.

It really wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't so repetitive to grind the stuff. Heck you don't even need to leave the starter zones and can level just off of town board or faction quests. The problem with New World is that it doesn't really excel on anything so it will be a death by a thousand cuts type of thing. You can't even see a log of who withdraws or deposits gold with a company.

It will also be interesting how many of the PvP players stick around when bans are happening all the time do to smack talk. And if they will take action against some of the exploits out there for leveling and stuff. There are even "placeholder" icons still in-game. The fishing trophies for the house have two displaying such on the tooltip/item icon.

It is a mediocre game with a lot of little issues that should have been resolved but it came out at the right time so it gained a lot of upfront players. A win for AGS because it is buy to play. But not really a win for gaming imo.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    A bit of a rhetorical question for you, personally: does it make you happy making other people unhappy? Or when you trash a game and it turns out you were right about it... does it make your world a better place?!
    This lol.
    When people come together to talk about something the like for tips and advice etc and share things they've found, it's an echo chamber and we don't realize we don't like it yet.

When they come to a place to gather to do as you described above it's somehow not an echo chamber or about them just wanting to hate on something or whatever.
    It fucking weird logic.

No one cares what they think lol.
    It was said long ago in the thread:
    Some will like it.
    Some won't.
    Even if xpsync does LOVE it and whatever messiah nonsense you are so worried about , that's his fucking prerogative lol

It's that fucking simple.

Coming to a thread where people who do like it are looking to trade advice and tips what have you, solely to bash it or try and maybe do as you described is weirdly pathetic.

It was never about "our love" for the game.
    It's the act itself and what a waste of time it is in a thread where they've stated that opinion more than once.
    Find something else to do with your time.

Like I said earlier, it's a weird fucking hard on to have to come to any thread and do this lol.
    But they keep twisting it into weird reasons why we blah blah blah.
    Nope.
    Their shtick is old.
    It's been done to death on forums.
    It has no effect other than clogging up the thread.
    We get it.
    YOU don't like it.
    MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE.
    Once you don't like something, how weird is it to hang around to bitch at others who do?
    Then accuse them of "blank" when they don't agree
    lol holy god it's hilariously sad

I'm guessing any responses will be:

A. Why we don't like the game for more of your reasons.
    B. This will be called rage or something and we are fangirl/boying the game.
    C. Your life is so devoid of any meaning this is all you have.
    D. Chimp sounds.

Pick one.

P.S.
    Stuff like this kills the thread for any meaningful discussion players want to have here.
    I've been checking it less and less because of it.

P.P.S
    Ricky Gervais has this bit about social media and people who don't like him, then find him on FB etc., just so they can complain to him about not liking him.
    His analogy is a guy going into a town square where flyers are hung up, finding one for guitar lessons and getting mad at it.
    Screaming "I don't want fucking guitar lessons!"
    This is what you're doing.
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2021-10-08 at 08:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are definitely things that need to be worked on, some less important than others, but that said I try to focus on the things I enjoy about the game (obviously). I still have loads of things to discover and do, and while people are slowly leaving the game so we have shorter to no queues, I can just pop in when I feel like it, decide what I feel like doing and enjoy a few hours of what to me does not feel like a chore. That alone makes me feel like it's money well spent, especially with no sub fee.

That said for a game that is classed as an AAA game (afaik?) and was delayed 3(?) times, some of the critique is definitely valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    It fucking weird logic.
    Speaking of weird logic, having an attitude of "someone can be super positive because that's their prerogative" while also "but you can't be this negative! It's counter-productive to what *I* want to see out of a thread and I'm getting tired of it!" is fucking weird indeed.

Sorry, my life is that boring, or maybe I just enjoy discussing things with people of the opposite opinions?

This isn't the official game forum for new world. Go there or hit up any one of a number of other resources if you want something useful. That, or do what you're telling people you dislike to do: shut up and let people do what they want, even if you don't like it.

Your viewpoint that positivity is inherently more valuable, more desired, and/or more acceptable is ridiculous. Get over yourself.

In addition, you don't seem to have much imagination for why people complain about things. I personally complain about things because I haven't had a good MMO come out that I find appealing in a LONG fucking time and I'm getting impatient. Anything that comes close to something that *might* evolve into something I DO like... is something I'm going to weigh in on.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2021-10-08 at 08:51 PM.

Your viewpoint that positivity is inherently more valuable, more desired, and/or more acceptable is ridiculous. Get over yourself.
    This.is.priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Osperand View Post
    I think I hit a nerve with some die hard WoW fans. Of course WoW was a great game, but it's time has passed it is rehashed over and over again. The only reason most people still play is due to the time and money investment. I played vanilla and i have bought every expansion, but i won't be buying anymore. I am just really bored of WoW.

The "End game" of new world is far different that WoW, and i think too many here are just trying to fit the game into what their idea of it should be. There is lots of proper PvP to get involved in that is far more skillful than WoW. The crafting and PvE systems take a long time, but PvE players don't mind that as long as they see progress and in this game you are always progressing. No subscription either, i hated that WoW bled us dry for years after buying the game.

Is this game for everyone? hell no. But they have Millions of people playing and they are opening up more and more servers. I am sure they will announce how successful it has been at some point but i expect they have sold a ton of titles. Looking at Steam only, the new world game is 3rd and at peak has 913,027 players, thats nearly a million on steam alone.

Game has gone huge which kind of shows that people have had enough of the current crop of MMO's and want something different. I hope the game stays the way it is. The only thing that may pull me back would be D4, so i have plenty of fun lined up till then playing New World.
    Whats the endgame in NW? The endgame really starts at lvl 1. The stuff you do while leveling is the same you do at 60, there nothing else except that bg you can do(That for some reason is not open for lvl 1-59). I like NW and I play it alot these days, but it clearly shows amazon has been undecided on what they wanted this game to be. With years in development you would imagine they would give us more.

All we can hope now is quality content coming in the future.

BTW - people flock to this game cause its the recent hype. In a few weeks time its over and people will wait for the next thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow i need to get this off my chest. as much as gathering and refining is well done in this game and i enjoy it, crafting is actually stupid.

Say you want to make a legendary sword, it requires 10 orichalcum bars, one orichalcum bar requires 8 ore and 2 starmetal bars, every starmetal bars require 6 starmetal ore and 2 steel bars so 12 ore and 4 steel bars, to make 4 steel bars you need 12 iron bars that require 4 ore each to craft.

So in total, for 1 orichalcum bar you need
    8 orichalcum ore
    12 starmetal ore
    and a whopping 48 iron ore

And since Orichalcum and Starmetal both drop in equal quantities when mined as Iron does from their respective ore there is always going to be RIDICULOUS surplus of high tier materials since you need 1/8th the amount to craft the high tier materials.

It's so assbackwards i don't understand how anyone could have thought this system through.

Why not make a ''refining'' specific ore, like Runescape has Coal, you need 2 coal and one iron to make iron, 6 coal 1 mithril for mithril, 8 coal 1 rune for rune etc.

Instead they went this this fucking RETARDED triangle crafting system that just fucks the economy in its ass over and over.
    Last edited by Proskill; 2021-10-08 at 09:19 PM.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

15+ Year Old Account
    This is signature worthy stuff! You don't honestly think like this, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It isn't misguided to offer critiques of things they don't like just because it isn't something you find to be a big deal.
    You are misunderstanding my comment. Critique all you want, but the aim of the critique is misguided when the fundamental methods of interaction and play are legitimately faulty or not working. Whether or not you find something repetitive or dislike the color of turkeys is at best secondary to the gameplay not functioning consistently or otherwise broken elements of interaction.

For example, I upgraded my weapon in NW earlier today. I unsheathed the weapon to look at it, the animation got stuck. When I tried to swap the weapon or cancel it, nothing worked. If it was the animation, whatever. That is unimportant. ButI could not attack anymore, that breaks the gameplay. That IS a big deal.

Games are about gameplay. Being concerned about anything else is always, and without exception, secondary. Games can not function without gameplay; the method in which you interact with the rules of the game.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-10-08 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    They are paying me with the pleasure of playing thier legendary mmorpg!

I know you all can't understand this at this point but, lets talk in a year, 2 years, 5 years and beyond, at some point you'll all get it.

This is so far from another failed wow clone, Amazon is doing right by us, the listen, they communicate, they have a major hit on their hands, they are doing everything the community has been screaming at companies to do for decades, put us and the game first!!!

It's comical peeps complaint hat i'm just letting fellow gamers/people/mmorpg'ers know the water is more than fine, it's near perfect in fact and come on in to this welcoming community! Welcome to your New World!
    The games been out for a little over a week and people are still figuring out the game. I don't see how this game will have any longevity. I enjoy it for now for what it is, but j can easily see myself getting really bored of this game.

- - - Updated - - -

You are misunderstanding my comment. Critique all you want, but the aim of the critique is misguided when the fundamental methods of interaction and play are legitimately faulty or not working. Whether or not you find something repetitive or dislike the color of turkeys is at best secondary to the gameplay not functioning consistently or otherwise broken elements of interaction.

For example, I upgraded my weapon in NW earlier today. I unsheathed the weapon to look at it, the animation got stuck. When I tried to swap the weapon or cancel it, nothing worked. If it was the animation, whatever. That is unimportant. ButI could not attack anymore, that breaks the gameplay. That IS a big deal.

Games are about gameplay. Being concerned about anything else is always, and without exception, secondary. Games can not function without gameplay; the method in which you interact with the rules of the game.
    When I equip an ice gauntlet is my left arm supposed to dissapear?

15+ Year Old Account

I am not misunderstanding you. I am saying you are wrong in your assessment. Just because you see something as unimportant doesn't mean it isn't an important part of enjoying a game to another person. You can certainly critique everything. Gatekeeping what you can complain about because it isn't as important as the issue you are complaining about or other major problems is silly. There is no reason to do so.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I am not misunderstanding you. I am saying you are wrong in your assessment. Just because you see something as unimportant doesn't mean it isn't an important part of enjoying a game to another person. You can certainly critique everything. Gatekeeping what you can complain about because it isn't as important as the issue you are complaining about or other major problems is silly. There is no reason to do so.
    It's not a matter of feeling.

game looks great. enemies look real. good detail. world is huge. i love everything about it but one thing. the combat is horrible. doing one of two moves all time followed by choosing between one of three CDs that are pretty much on use as soon as its off CD. enemies need to be harder with such a mundane combat system. the skills you talent into your weapon should be stronger. the gathering system is fantastic. questing is like any other mmo. gather this, kill this many things, scout here, search there, etc.., basically everyones bitch. but i like that design, its simple. makes you explore and learn the world you are in. man that combat tho. revamp it and make it more involving and this game would be a dream of mine. having fun so far. done the same light and heavy attacks prob 100k times so far. level 47.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not a matter of feeling.
    Then stop using them. I keep saying that all problems can be brought up. You are the one that is bringing feelings into this by deciding if something is major or "unimportant".

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i'm guessing you don't keep up with current affairs, but there's a CATESTROPHIC GLOBAL SILICON SHORTAGE right now that's only getting worse as chip manufacturers are working at capacity and cannot produce any more chips than they already are, not to mention the sheer amount of shut downs and outages due to power issues in china and other issues affecting TSMC, literally nobody can get server hardware right now, doesn't matter if amazon put up a blank cheque they ain't getting shit, really wish people would stop bitching about server capacity issues in light of current world events and be thankful they have any kind of server capacity to host the game to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

as stated above your 'estimate' on the companies value is comically off, and they could quite literally say to any chip manufacturer 'here's $50 billion make me some hardware' and they wouldn't get it because all chip makers are working at capacity and will continue to be stuck that way for months potentially years to come until the new fabs being built are up and running somewhere between 3-5 years from now, so to your point, while it's not a sound business decision, amazon if they felt like it could quite literally buy out any and all competition with the resources at their disposal and not need to worry about the balance sheet too much.
    I hope you ever heard about AWS..No? Let me help you out: https://aws.amazon.com/