Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I've heard good things about Elite Dangerous. Space game, customize your ship, etc. Haven't played it yet myself though, my scifi backlog is pretty full =/

Someone mentioned Subnautica on game pass though and I will never not recommend that game. I run through it once every few months I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    A good space 4x game turn based is Endless Space 2. Give it a look if you feel like it.
    I want to second this nomination for Endless Space 2. Not only is it closer to "Civilization in Space" than Stellaris, but the unique mechanics of each race/faction really adds a lot of flavor to game, greatly increasing replay-ability.

Also, the music is absolutely gorgeous.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Did you ever play Eve Online? And if so, how did that compare with Stellaris?

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the offer - I'm finally sitting down with some free time to take up one of these. I jumped on Eve Online for a few hours. The start is a bit brutal. Did you ever play it?
    I don't have any experience with EVE, I'd love to try it.

Eve have very high learning curve tho, something like:

If you don't put some time into learning the game you will just "bounce"and leave. It offers alot of different carriers. Some people just pvp all the time while others dont even leave stations and play the market. I played for few years but it was way too time consuming for me so I just quit.

It really depends on what type of game you want. Both are very different types of games.
    Steam says I only got 67 minutes in Stellaris. I don't remember much about it so not sure if I hated it or just got another game around the same time I liked better.
    Galactic Civ 3 was pretty fun I think. Pretty sure you can build your own spaceships in it. I got 60+ hrs in that.

Other games I got atleast 40 hours in up to 500 hours: Evil Genius 2(strategy/building game), Temtem (pokemon like game), Minion Masters(pvp game idk any other way to describe it), Age of Wonders Planetfall, Prime world Defenders 2, No Man's Sky, Shadowverse, Paladins, Smite, Path of Exile, X-Com games.

1,000+ hr games: Warframe

Didn't go through my whole steam list just some of the ones I remembered offhand, played recently, or didn't uninstall after I played em. I also tried to not recommend any single player rpgs since even if I get hundreds of hours in them I tend not to replay them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Hm.. there are some other games that are better time wasters.
    18+*A game that should not be named, but it last for hours and doesnt need online*
    Name the game coward! is it Subverse?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Age of Wonders Planetfall
    Now there's a game with a space-theme that is very similar to Civilization, but with some light RPG-mechanics where your heroes level up and gear up with equipment (similar to the Heroes of Might and Magic games).

But I could never get into it, even though I loved the previous ones. I think it was something about the theme or art direction that didn't work for me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Now there's a game with a space-theme that is very similar to Civilization, but with some light RPG-mechanics where your heroes level up and gear up with equipment (similar to the Heroes of Might and Magic games).

But I could never get into it, even though I loved the previous ones. I think it was something about the theme or art direction that didn't work for me.
    I feel like the customization was really lacking especially when you can control your units the way you do in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Looking to pick up a new game to sink some time into. Previous large-chunks-of-time sinks include:
    World of Warcraft (years)
    Civilization V (thousands of hours)
    Don't Starve (hundreds of hours)

Looking for advice/suggestions on which one to grab. I know the obvious answer is "both" - but I'd rather deep dive into one.
    Stellaris.
    Best game i have ever played. Hundreds of hours.
    Every game is different

No mans sky is also fun... but doesn't really keep me that long. a few hours every few month maybe

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Stellaris.
    Best game i have ever played. Hundreds of hours.
    Every game is different

No mans sky is also fun... but doesn't really keep me that long. a few hours every few month maybe
    Excellent, thank you. And everyone here, thanks - Stellaris is where I'm headed, god help me.

(and wow, Eve Online is really difficult to get into - 20+ hours and it's still confusing, even the Agency starter tasks)

No Man's Sky is a great value per dollar but besides that aspect, NMS is also a great game.

Stellaris is pretty good too. Different than NMS, not sure the comparison here, but ENdless Space 2 is a more satisfying game than Stelarris IMO.

I prefer Endless Space 2 over Stellaris. I have both with all DLCs and nearly 1k hours combined. Both games eventually become menu clickers, but I feel like ES2 has more soul, whereas Stellaris has more sandbox options. Getting Stellaris with all DLC can be quite expensive. I consider both staples in the genre.

No Man's Sky, I have my grinds in my MMO, it bores me to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.