Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Well there's also the fact that the GOP idolize Reagan and his (and that cunt Nancy's) response to the AIDS epidemic was "it only affects gay people so let them die! lol" so Trump or anyone else from the GOP have no leg to stand on there.
    Grrr don't get me started on her Just Say No to Drugs whilst being a junkie herself.
    The Gipper too can fuck off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's also the fact that the GOP idolize Reagan and his (and that cunt Nancy's) response to the AIDS epidemic was "it only affects gay people so let them die! lol" so Trump or anyone else from the GOP have no leg to stand on there.
    They idolize Saint Ronald of Reagan. Patron Saint of Conservative Perfection.
    Not Ronald Reagan who really existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    They idolize Saint Ronald of Reagan. Patron Saint of Conservative Perfection.
    Not Ronald Reagan who really existed.
    Reagan was basically Trump before Trump. I considered making a post about the vast similarities between the two a few months ago before I realized it was going to take too long to type all of that and my time is in short supply these days. Cognitive problems, narcissism, credible/confirmed rape accusations (yep), demonizing minorities/the poor ("ketchup is a vegetable!"), downplaying a deadly virus resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands, etc., etc., etc..

But hey, Nancy apparently gave epic blowjobs around Hollywood so at least she contributed something positive in her lifetime...

"ketchup is a vegetable!"
    Haha I forgot about this.
    The 80's were awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump spent a lot of time in the Oval Office reducing national/federal landmarks so he could sell the hunting, fishing, and drilling rights.

Biden spent today putting them back.

- - - Updated - - -

So we've been talking a while about "doctors and hospitals will just prioritize treatment to people who get the vaccine" and I keep saying "no, no, they can't really do that".

*ahem*

A Colorado woman was kicked off the transplant recipient list and won't get a kidney because she didn't get the vaccine.

The up-until-recently patient said she wouldn't get the vaccine because

As a Christian, I can’t support anything that has to do with abortion of babies
    So, out the door she went.

"Well, I guess you were wrong, then."

More or less, yes. The hospital did back up their move with an objective statement to cover their legal asses:

One broad study found kidney transplant patients who contracted COVID-19 had a 21% mortality rate. Other studies found mortality rates ranging from 18% to 32% for transplant recipients who acquired COVID-19. For comparison, the CDC says the current mortality rate for everyone who has tested positive is 1.6%. This is why it is essential that both the recipient and the living donor be vaccinated and take other precautions prior to undergoing transplant surgery.
    "Wait, can they even do this?"

They've been doing it for a while.

Transplant centers across the nation, including the UCHealth Transplant Center, have specific requirements in place to protect patients both during and after surgery. For example, patients may be required to receive vaccinations including hepatitis B, MMR and others
    Granted, this case is kind of extreme, but it's a step in that direction. "We have to pick who gets treatment and you're just flat-out more likely to die" sounds like a legally-protected reason to pick a vaccinated person over a crazy motherfucker.

- - - Updated - - -

The governor of Iowa signs an executive order to prevent schools from mandating masks, the latest in nevermind a federal judge blocked it.

- - - Updated - - -

So this article explains why Trump losing $70 million on his DC hotel isn't just funny for us/humiliating for Trump. It's a security risk.

Here's the thing: Trump said it earned $150 million when it lost $70 million. Lying on income disclosures is bad enough as it is. But Trump help from, you guessed it, Deutsche Bank in the world's most publicly-visible Sunk Costs Fallacy. Yeah, a foreign bank gave Trump a fiscal benefit. That's a giant red flag.

Oh, and he lied about loans at other properties, too. Trump lies all the time about everything.

I don't know why Deustche Bank thinks they'll get paid by Trump. Yes, Trump could (and as I linked, has been) restructuring by getting loans on lesser properties to get the liquidity needed to pay off other loans. But they have to know this is a lost cause. Trump's going to default.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump spent a lot of time in the Oval Office reducing national/federal landmarks so he could sell the hunting, fishing, and drilling rights.

Biden spent today putting them back.

- - - Updated - - -

So we've been talking a while about "doctors and hospitals will just prioritize treatment to people who get the vaccine" and I keep saying "no, no, they can't really do that".

*ahem*

A Colorado woman was kicked off the transplant recipient list and won't get a kidney because she didn't get the vaccine.

More or less, yes. The hospital did back up their move with an objective statement to cover their legal asses:

Granted, this case is kind of extreme, but it's a step in that direction. "We have to pick who gets treatment and you're just flat-out more likely to die" sounds like a legally-protected reason to pick a vaccinated person over a crazy motherfucker.

- - - Updated - - -

The governor of Iowa signs an executive order to prevent schools from mandating masks, the latest in nevermind a federal judge blocked it.

- - - Updated - - -

So this article explains why Trump losing $70 million on his DC hotel isn't just funny for us/humiliating for Trump. It's a security risk.

Here's the thing: Trump said it earned $150 million when it lost $70 million. Lying on income disclosures is bad enough as it is. But Trump help from, you guessed it, Deutsche Bank in the world's most publicly-visible Sunk Costs Fallacy. Yeah, a foreign bank gave Trump a fiscal benefit. That's a giant red flag.

Oh, and he lied about loans at other properties, too. Trump lies all the time about everything.

I don't know why Deustche Bank thinks they'll get paid by Trump. Yes, Trump could (and as I linked, has been) restructuring by getting loans on lesser properties to get the liquidity needed to pay off other loans. But they have to know this is a lost cause. Trump's going to default.
    Deustche Bank knows exactly who underwrote those loans for Trump and they would really like to not fall out of a window onto some polonium laced bullets.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    @cubby, if they were using AT&T's funds to bankroll what is essentially a political propaganda organ that was losing money, would stockholders have a case for a class action lawsuit for failing their fiduciary duty?
    They absolutely would. I would not be surprised if something is already in the works. Of course, it works both ways - some of AT&T shareholders will agree with funding OAN.

I'm pretty sure not long ago I posted something along the lines of:
    Never underestimate how Kanye Trump is.
    I give you:

"our Make America Great Again movement, the greatest such achievement of all time'
    Trump said in a Friday afternoon statement.

Multiverse brothers they are.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They absolutely would. I would not be surprised if something is already in the works. Of course, it works both ways - some of AT&T shareholders will agree with funding OAN.
    Even minority shareholders can be harmed by the irresponsibility of the majority and claim damages IIRC. I wouldn't think it would matter if some shareholders agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

*ahem*

I see the transplant vaccine issue as no different from how smokers can get denied for lung transplants.

Those transplant committees basically decide who lives or dies because of shortages. Its their ethical responsibility to chose those with the greatest need and highest chance of healthy life post-transplant.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Yep, there are a lot of things someone can do to get kicked off the transplant list. Those organs are rare and valuable so they don't give them to people who will squander them. I remember a story about a Dad who was due to receive new liver, and had a glass of wine to celebrate his daughters marriage or something like that. They denied him the liver due to alcohol ingestion and he later died. Harsh, but they can't take any chances. I admit that I do admire this woman's resolve in that she's willing to die for something she believes strongly in. I don't know many people who would ACTUALLY do that beyond just empty words, though I think it's a terribly dumb hill to die on... uhh, poor choice of words I guess? She said she's doing it because she believes in the sanctity of life. Cool, lady... but what about your own life? Surely that counts too. Either way, I agree with the hospitals decision - give the kidney to someone who won't waste it. Though maybe someone can donate a brain to her. I believe Trump has a pristine and unused one he has lying around somewhere up his bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    She said she's doing it because she believes in the sanctity of life. Cool, lady... but what about your own life? Surely that counts too.
    Putting your family through grief and emotional trauma by dying to own the libs. Truly a strange world we live in.

10+ Year Old Account
    As expected, a Texas court re-instated the Texas abortion ban while the appeal continues.

I suspect that providers will continue providing. By the time the lawsuits get filed, the ban will be unConstitutional again. And there aren't that many appeals levels left.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That “story” is a TV trope on medical dramas.
    It's a trope for good reason. Many hospitals institute a 6 month "sober" time period for liver transplant recipients who destroyed their liver due to alcohol abuse. They are tested regularly and if it's been shown they were drinking, the waiting period resets. There was a recent case of a woman who kept being denied a liver transplant because her urine was always full of alcohol. She denied drinking and her doctors didn't believe her. Further investigation showed that she had "urinary auto-brewery syndrome" which basically means her bladder was a keg full of yeast and sugar that were the perfect ingredients for fermentation. Ha, what do you wanna bet there are way too many people out there that would willingly drink pee beer brewed inside a woman?

Hmm, getting off track a bit here. What do festering rotten diseases, dying because you don't want the vaccine, and lady pee have to do with Donald Trump? Actually, quite a lot now that I think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a recent case of a woman who kept being denied a liver transplant because her urine was always full of alcohol. She denied drinking and her doctors didn't believe her. Further investigation showed that she had "urinary auto-brewery syndrome" which basically means her bladder was a keg full of yeast and sugar that were the perfect ingredients for fermentation.
    Yeah, it was in an episode of Grey's Anatomy, too.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    "Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia."

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Further investigation showed that she had "urinary auto-brewery syndrome" which basically means her bladder was a keg full of yeast and sugar that were the perfect ingredients for fermentation. Ha, what do you wanna bet there are way too many people out there that would willingly drink pee beer brewed inside a woman?
    Oh, that's interesting. I remember reading about a similar case, where some dude kept getting drunk, as well. Turns out, heavy usage of antibiotics prior had destroyed his bacterial flora in his gastrointestinal tract, which gave room for yeast to grow... in his butt. Doctors didn't believe him either, and he eventually ended in police custody, where he still kept getting drunk, which lead to the investigation. So, yeah, butt beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I've been wondering about this for a while, and with Steve Bannon back in the news, now is a good time to ask. Does he really go weeks without showering or does he just always look that way for some reason? Has anyone ever gotten within a hundred yards of him in person to be able to tell?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I've been wondering about this for a while, and with Steve Bannon back in the news, now is a good time to ask. Does he really go weeks without showering or does he just always look that way for some reason? Has anyone ever gotten within a hundred yards of him in person to be able to tell?

Showers are the work of Big Soap, Big Water, and Big Shampoo. I thought you hippy liberals wanted shit natural.
    /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post

Bourbon chic? I don't know but I wince every time I see him--he's like if tree gall manifested into a person.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit