Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

When is a good time to buy WoW SL and play?

I have played Warcraft before but a long long time ago.

I have fund memories, but recently heard you can play high elves and that SL is a very fantastical place to experience.

This will happen from patch 9.1.5 so I’m thinking of purchasing the game.

I’m not sure it is worth the price tag though plus a monthly subscription. Does this game ver go on sale?

Is it worth trying this out even if for a month or two? I couldn’t find anywhere that sold
    It cheaply but here maybe in winter?

I don’t think I’m attracted enough to pay for game +sub, but maybe a half price or 75% discount.

Is it worth it?

No, it isn't worth it at all.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you are patient, wait for Black Friday, SL very likely will have discount and 9.1.5 will be already here. Also I think anniversary event with 17% exp/reputation boost will be active around that time.

Either patch 11.0 or never would be my guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirale View Post

I have fund memories, but recently heard you can play high elves and that SL is a very fantastical place to experience.

I’m not sure it is worth the price tag though plus a monthly subscription. Does this game ver go on sale?

Is it worth trying this out even if for a month or two? I couldn’t find anywhere that sold

I don’t think I’m attracted enough to pay for game +sub, but maybe a half price or 75% discount.

Is it worth it?
    We can't tell you if it is worth it, honestly, that is up to you. The game will most likely be on sale around the anniversary in November.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Tirale View Post

Is it worth it?
    SL is a really, really bad expansion and wow is in the worst state it has ever been.
    That being said, if you just play everything that is not SL or BfA, you will have a great time with thousands of hours of fun.
    Just don't touch the last 2 expansions.

When it's on sale. Obviously no one can tell you if you'll like it or not, but buying it on sale and then sub for 1-2 months after the final patch goes live may work.

Honestly never as the game sucks donkey balls right now and supporting blizzard is also a no no atm.

Don't believe the doomsayers without trying it yourself. SL is fine and fun to play. I came back in BFA after quitting in Cataclysm. BFA had big problems with getting essences after starting so late though especially before the account wide thing. I did still enjoy it too and SL even more. I got KSM on my main for the first time a few weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting 9.1.5 to start playing more alts.

SL has its issues but I'll take it over Wotlk, Cata and WoD honestly.

Can't say whether you'll enjoy it or not, just try it out now.

The current expansion tends to go on sale near it's end on the last patch. So i'd say in probably a year, if you care to wait that much to save a few dozens.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it worth it, yes. As someone who has let their sub lapse several times the game is fine. From a neutral standpoint WOW is still one of the top MMOs on the market.

Look for a sale around Christmas or Blizzcon if they have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on what you like.

For me - I play WoW for raiding and guild social, everything else I either don't care about or just do the minimum necessary upkeep.

I think that WoW makes a pretty poor single player game, so if you don't intend to guild up and tackle raiding, in my opinion, it's not worth it. However if you do intend to get into a guild and do more challenging stuff - it is worth it. WoW raiding is second to none and M+ is solid too, it really depends on whether you like that or not.

I'd buy it this coming holiday season when it will most likely go on sale, but I wouldn't play it. I always suggest to people to wait till the last patch to play for the best value if you don't care about missing stuff (AOTC, KSM, PvP titles, etc). The final patch of wow has historically always been the one with the most fixes, catchup and you have access to the entire story minus whatever Blizz removed for whatever bonehead reason.

Play from the start of the final patch to when the next xpac launches and cancel your sub after that and play something else you enjoy and see you again in the next final patch
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this is a troll post, but i'll contribute.

I would recommend waiting until patch 9.1.5, as others have mentioned, but I think the game will still be in a kind of poor state then, and you'll be jumping in late-patch already, so most people will already be fully geared and you will be considerably behind.

So, if you have the patience, i think the best bet would be waiting on 9.2. Which will probably be somewhere around December-February. This way, you won't be all that far behind the other players, and you'll have some fresh content to try to progress into.
    I 3d print stuff

As others have said, literally never. Wait for 10.0 and see if they manage to salvage this turd called WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you ask this website, lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Why would you ask this website, lol
    Yeah this for sure, Don't you know the game is always crap here and nothing positive or realistic gets mentioned?

Kinda like people who talk about about PvP balance but don't even have over 1k rating in arena.

Kinda like people could call the game P2W yet they are gold broke and cant take take advantage of the Token system that is seriously glorious.

Kinda like people who expect Blizzard to listen to them when they submit " feedback " in the format of trolling, harassment and calling teams members out to get fired or killed and expect to be taken seriously

Or the people that talk about lack of content yet only have 15k max on achievement points and have never cleared a full zone in quests.

I'd say that's the perfect summary.
    On-topic? If you are legit willing to spend time invested in an MMO, WoW is a good home. There is tons of new and old content to keep you hooked and if alts are your thing, Shadowlands is one of the best expacs for leveling them. On top of .5 adding more QoL. Heck, I play one toon and find plenty to do between helping out friends/guildies, playing old content and making gold so i can keep adding to my balance. Wish the cap wasn't 350$ lol
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Yeah this for sure, Don't you know the game is always crap here and nothing positive or realistic gets mentioned?

Kinda like people who talk about about PvP balance but don't even have over 1k rating in arena.

Kinda like people could call the game P2W yet they are gold broke and cant take take advantage of the Token system that is seriously glorious.

Kinda like people who expect Blizzard to listen to them when they submit " feedback " in the format of trolling, harassment and calling teams members out to get fired or killed and expect to be taken seriously

Or the people that talk about lack of content yet only have 15k max on achievement points and have never cleared a full zone in quests.

I'd say that's the perfect summary.
    On-topic? If you are legit willing to spend time invested in an MMO, WoW is a good home. There is tons of new and old content to keep you hooked and if alts are your thing, Shadowlands is one of the best expacs for leveling them. On top of .5 adding more QoL. Heck, I play one toon and find plenty to do between helping out friends/guildies, playing old content and making gold so i can keep adding to my balance. Wish the cap wasn't 350$ lol
    Edit: Your cynicism is misplaced.

yeaaahhh... it sort of depends what you wanna do? I quit in january so my info isnt exactly up to date, but thinking this through rationally, here's whats available (i think).

1. The main story beats. Thats nice. You get all of 9.0 and 9.1.
    2. The covenant campaigns (4 separate storylines).
    3. Korthia campaign and story. (not sure what this is, but im sure its at least something).

Thats pretty neat. I mean it can be blasted through of course, but why? Unless you're in a hurry to catch up, its probably more fun to just take in the atmosphere and enjoy it at your own pace?

Okay, other world stuff.
    1. The covenant systems. This is sort of the meat and potatoes of the world game. You grind renown which unlocks available things in your covenant (soulbinds, cosmetics, covenant systems). You then grind anima to pay for them (well, not the soulbinds, but the other stuff). Thats pretty extensive and will keep a new/returning player moderately busy for a while.
    2. Whatever is going on in Korthia with the upgrade system (ive honestly no idea, theres some rank 6 thing that people are mad about, so i suppose its probably a bit of a grind).
    3. Gearing in general. You should easily hit ilvl200 fairly soon after you level cap (with the renown catchup). 197 gear is dished out by your covenant vendor for a few thousand anima, i think heroic dungeons and lfr were also boosted a bit - correct me if im wrong, i didnt really keep up with things). Now go back to point 2. 'Apparently its a bit of a grind'. Either way, you have a gearing process that beats the living hell out of 'thanks for buying the game and paying for a few months of subs, heres your "free!" 197 gear!"
    4. But once youre about 200ilvl and if youre on a nice solo class, you can start hitting up torghast for your legendary. Which is now rank... 6? And will massively boost your ilvl even as a casual player. I reckon 200ilvl puts you in a decent spot to at least clear floor 6 or so. Plus, i think they boosted the soul ash in 9.1, so likely you can have a few rank 4 legos in like a week or so (since 9.1.5 apparently adds the ability to run dailys (instead of 2 runs per week)).
    5. LFR and dungeons. Lots of renown drops. Likely some decent boosts in SoD once you leap over the ilvl lock (not sure what it is - but it wont be much more than 200, if even that high)

Putting all that together and playing at the most absolute casual level... thats a few months of stuff to do with reasonable, sustained progression.

Now lets add the actual competitive game. I mean, its basically the core gameplay experience and if you do it, i cant see why you'd not enjoy playing the game.

At the heart of it is your weekly vault. Do some raids, do some competitive pvp and do some mythic plus, and you've got SO much you can every week that you'll honestly feel overwhelmed... or you would if that gear didnt just leapfrog all the world stuff youre doing and make it redundant (to an extent... you still need the renown, and if you want all the cosmetics and portals etc, you're gonna be farming anima - but i heard korthia made this less of a pita).

Basically if you just want 2-3 months... You're fine. Four covenants to farm with all their stuff... A gearing process thats a bit of a grind... All the other side stuff you can just dip in and out of... and then if you add in the actual end game stuff... well, you'll have a decent time of it. You're not gonna get to the ilevel cap wall for at least a month or so playing casually (you'll have EIGHTY RENOWN to farm at the absolute base requirement), and well, even then...

Other stuff binge and purge!

1. Legion stuffs. Timewalking et al.
    2. Legion stuff: TRANSMOG farming.
    3. PVP ilvl boost/changes coming in 9.1.5.
    4. Alt improvements in 9.1.5.

9.1.5 is going to be pretty cool. I'd be happy to jump back in for a month or so once it drops. I just hope they dont pit it against endwalker because im gonna be kinda busy. A very early November release and they've got another month from me (im in 5.4 msq and stalling like my names rich campbell), but if they try and shut out the competition, i guess i'll pop back in 9.2.