Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Im early in but wow I really dislike the EMMI sections and find them frustrating as hell.

Metroid has never ever been a GOTCHA 1 shot game.

Visually something feels off too. Im hoping as I play more it will click with me but so far im not enjoying myself.
    Exactly how I felt and probably still do; The emmi sucks and artistically something's off. That said, I am enjoying it, just not as much as the previous 2D Metroids.

I tried Hollow Knight once, but the graphics really put me off. Maybe I should give it another shot.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-10-10 at 05:46 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Trying to get all the shinespark items and man I am reminded how much I hate the switch (pro) controller, it's so unresponsive. Half the time I can't even get the shine to start because hitting down does nothing. The only challenge here is fighting the controls.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought Hollow Knight was a little overrated. It's quite good, but not the god tier game people describe it as. I thought Ori and the Blind Forest was better than it, and I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I always thought Hollow Knight was a little overrated. It's quite good, but not the god tier game people describe it as. I thought Ori and the Blind Forest was better than it, and I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps is way better.
    Ori was good, but it was too short and linear, and it's also too easy (wisps, didn't play the first one).

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Ori is just gorgeous too look at but really easy and my god it gets you in feels with the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Trying to get all the shinespark items and man I am reminded how much I hate the switch (pro) controller, it's so unresponsive. Half the time I can't even get the shine to start because hitting down does nothing. The only challenge here is fighting the controls.
    Not having issues. Everything is smooth and responsive including shinespark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of pro controllers, my xenoblade 2 controller started getting bumps on the left stick ;_;

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't once failed to activate Shinespark.
    Using it after activation is different story, but activating it is no problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Im early in but wow I really dislike the EMMI sections and find them frustrating as hell.

Metroid has never ever been a GOTCHA 1 shot game.

Visually something feels off too. Im hoping as I play more it will click with me but so far im not enjoying myself.
    I actually don't mind the EMMI's...it's not much different from the SA-X (except the SA-X was much more limited due to the hardware Fusion ran on, so it could only follow you in scripted sequences), or running from the Diggernaut in Samus returns. The only part of the game that's seriously pissing me off are a couple of the ridiculous shinespark puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I really don't know why people think so highly of hk and call it genre defining. Ive played dozens of metroidvanias and i cant get more than a few hours in hk because its so slow and ultra boring. I've played god awful hentai metroidvanias that were more fun. Sotn is still the pinnacle of the genre in every way
    I don't hate Hollow Knight, it's a good game that I can tell a lot of passion went into. And it IS a Metroidvania, but I don't think it's "genre defining" or anything like that. It just came out during a time when Metroidvanias were few and far between, and gave people that like the genre something to play again *finally*. Keep in mind that the last real Metroid game that wasn't a remake of an older game on a dead handheld system was Metroid Prime 3 in 2007. I really like Samus Returns, but the 3DS was already dead when it came out, and it has control issues because of the touch screen missiles/bombs. And the last new 2D Metroid (that wasn't a remake) was Metroid Fusion in 2002. Metroid effectively died for a long time and left a huge hole that had to be filled by other developers...HK and Ori were in the right place at the right time.

I think the Ori games are much better than HK though. As I said, I don't consider HK a bad game, but it didn't grab me the way most Metroidvanias do, and I haven't finished it yet. Dread finally brought 2D Metroid up to the level of the Ori games (well almost, the Ori soundtrack is better than Dread, and the environments are more immersive).

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I really don't know why people think so highly of hk and call it genre defining. Ive played dozens of metroidvanias and i cant get more than a few hours in hk because its so slow and ultra boring. I've played god awful hentai metroidvanias that were more fun. Sotn is still the pinnacle of the genre in every way
    I personally don't think it actually is genre defining (probably because I consider that term completely worthless). It's a great game, with immense value for the price and certainly one of the most fun combat and boss fights in the genre if nothing else. I can see why people like even if I don't necessarily agree that it's one of the best games of all time or whatever. But saying those people's opinions is wrong as some try to do is just daft IMO.

Anyway, bit the bullet and got Dread. So far so very good. Gameplay is hella fun and familiar without feeling old, the controls are smooth and responsive even if aiming at enemies below knee level can be annoying, the one boss fought so far was great, and I like the EMMI sections a lot, they force you to think on your feet and adapt. Just learn their patterns and they're not very hard, plus parrying the instakill is really cool.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I personally don't think it actually is genre defining (probably because I consider that term completely worthless). It's a great game, with immense value for the price and certainly one of the most fun combat and boss fights in the genre if nothing else. I can see why people like even if I don't necessarily agree that it's one of the best games of all time or whatever. But saying those people's opinions is wrong as some try to do is just daft IMO.

Anyway, bit the bullet and got Dread. So far so very good. Gameplay is hella fun and familiar without feeling old, the controls are smooth and responsive even if aiming at enemies below knee level can be annoying, the one boss fought so far was great, and I like the EMMI sections a lot, they force you to think on your feet and adapt. Just learn their patterns and they're not very hard, plus parrying the instakill is really cool.
    Dread needs its own thread at this point. This is going to be huge...it's apparently selling really well, even in Japan. It doesn't QUITE top Prime and Prime 2 for me, but it's definitely the best 2D Metroid.

The EMMI zones are not bad at all once you get used to them and know where you need to go. They are mostly "run and GTFO as quick as possible". I've been able to parry them about...8 times. It's very difficult and there is an element of randomness to it to keep you from being able to do it consistently, but damn it's satisfying when you pull it off. Thankfully I just got to the point where I'm done with EMMI, so now I'm in the classic endgame Metroid "go find all the stuff" before I go on, since I just got power bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Biggest criticism toward Hollow Knight is its slow start. It takes a couple of hours before things start speeding up, though once you know what you're doing it's alot faster on repeat playthroughs.

Main reason people praise it so much is the sheer amount of content you get for the low price. Rare case of not charging enough for a game.
    "it gets good 40 hours in"
    fuck off.

Are you sure there's like, no minor interference? Only time I've ever had issues was with a blanket in the way, or the Switch docked behind my TV. More of a flaw of the Switch itself than the controller too I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    "it gets good 40 hours in"
    fuck off.
    Considering that's how long on average it takes to beat the entire game and DLC, try again.

It's one of those games you play that you can tell the devs loved creating it. And I wouldn't even say it has a slow start, it just feels a bit restrictive in what you can do but that's really no different than any game in similar style. Hollow Knight deserves the praise it gets in my opinion.

Im starting to enjoy Dread the more I play it but I still groan when I encounter a new EMMI section.

I beat Kraid and have arrived at the water zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im starting to enjoy Dread the more I play it but I still groan when I encounter a new EMMI section.

I beat Kraid and have arrived at the water zone.
    I didn't mind few first EMMIs.

Later they get bullshit abilities like Ice Beam and zonewide active scan and stun that make them truly miserable to encounter.

No one should be having any trouble with the EMMIs after the first 2-3.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only wish luck for Dread speedrunners, because we know this will be part of the strat

Idk if I’m behind on this but BD/SP will have exp share on by default again. That might just be what keeps me from buying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    Idk if I’m behind on this but BD/SP will have exp share on by default again. That might just be what keeps me from buying.
    No game will ever again have an option to turn the damn thing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    I've never understand what people hate about this. What is the big deal?