Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    yes

D2 was always better than d3 and PoE

It was nostalgic for me. I had fun.

Now that it’s been remastered visually, id like to see them update everything else.

Keep a LOD and classic mode for people that want it and a new mode with QOL updates and new stuff.

Also allow the controller UI for mouse and keyboard. It’s dramatically better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Being forced to go back to town every 2minutes to sell stuff ruined it for me. I don’t understand that design. Completely immersion breaking
    You don't have to. You can just pickup high value items like the ones with +skill affixes and you get a shit load of gold. Unless of course you find them every two minutes.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I joined to read everyone saying D3 is king on the ARPG genre and i slowly started walking back and closing the door silently. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalocy Jim View Post
    Even though its a remaster of a classic, i'd say its one of the best if not the best ARPG in the last 10 years or so.

Everything about the game is for lack of a better term, amazing.

I did not think i'd be playing as much D2R as I have. Really good investment for the money imho.

Blizzard and Vicarious Visions really outdid themselves on this one.
    Nope. Love it to death though. It beats others like PoE due to PoE's own LOOK AT THIS LOOK AT THIS LOOK AT THIS systems, over complicated tree, and stupid currency, which is an issue i have with D2. Grim dawn would deck them all if they provided good online support. But you can just cheat the game. Play it legit, its super fun. I love it. However... it gets old because it feels like there is no point with no online with you can just cheat.

D2 probably has me on nostalgia. I still played D2 from time to time. The old d2 is still on this PC. I can see how people who didnt play it growing up dont like it. I dont like baulders gate. However, lots of friends slightly older than me love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though its a remaster of a classic, i'd say its one of the best if not the best ARPG in the last 10 years or so.

I did not think i'd be playing as much D2R as I have. Really good investment for the money imho.

In a separate universe where Path of Exile didn't exist yes , D2R would be the best ARPG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You mean D3 in 2012? Cause that one was far better than D2.
    D3 is trash compared to D2R or Path of Exile.

D2R is fun. I've been enjoying it, more than I expected to. But PoE is an objectively better game, including if literally the only thing you do is run through the campaign. If D2 and PoE's content were represented in a venn diagram, D2 would be a circle directly in the centre of PoE and roughly 10% of the size.

Maybe, maybe not, but the servers are like burning turds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, doesn't even come close to getting into the top 10 ARPGs of the past decade. Now if you narrowed it down to isometric ARPGs...I still don't think it would get into the top 10.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2021-10-11 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

D2 goes back to its old numbers as soon as the new PoE league launches. So there goes that..

LOL D3 can't even touch D2

Nah, I found D3 to be better, Grim Dawn to be better. I found PoE to be better despite never really getting into it, but the draw to do so is still there.

D2 > D3 is pretty much every single way possible

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    D2 goes back to its old numbers as soon as the new PoE league launches. So there goes that..
    More like as soon as most beat it on normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    D3, Grim Dawn, Last Epoch are all way better than a horribly outdated game. Not to mention any ARPG's biggest competitor, Path of Exile.

Maybe if they actually went the Median XL route of actually making real endgame content, instead of just making the graphics improved (and even then it's kinda meh). As it stands, even fucking Torchlight 3 is better.
    Most ARPGs made in the last 10 years are going to be better by default just due to better movement and feel of combat, plus the addition of QoL improvements created or added since D2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree. D2 gameplay is still so much worse, that I can't play it. Luckily they had the demo weekend, so no need to buy and see if is any better than the original. I also still don't understand how farming one boss 10000 times is better endgame than grinding Greater Rifts (which I don't see as good endgame either).

Grim Dawn is worlds better than D2R.

Path of diablo, Path of exile, grim dawn, hell even chronicon is better than D2R

diablo 3 is complete and utter garbage. gamers fled it years ago. no one plays it. it was so awful they cancelled the second xpac. dont let d3 fans fool you.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    PoE only instagibs when you dont know the fight mechanics or your char isnt built properly. D2 was a ton of the same thing. And complaining about the economy in HC SSF???? that doesnt even make sense since all currency in the game is also crafting reagents. Playing d2r HC SSF would feel probably worse due to know gear crafting systems.
    PoE instagibs people all the fucking time. There's whole threads in this very forum about it (well, in the megathread), by people who play it for years now. One of the major complaints is that the right way to build is only one way to build. Diversity in the top tier builds is limited to a few and those builds all share a great deal of the requirements among each other. PoE offers the Illusion of great creativity and diversity, but fell for its own trap, by making characters faster and stronger than anything in the game, so they had to counter with inevitable spike damage and by inevitable I do not mean you can't negate it, I'm talking about being in a situation you cannot get out of, because it will happen so fast, you won't have time to react. That's why everything in PoE is about passives. It used to be great design, now it's just lame design.

In D2, my decisions in that moment matter. Even though I can die fast, it's never faster than your reaction timer and when you die, you know what killed you. PoE has unreadable affixes and suffixes on monsters, doesn't properly convey danger, like D2 would with Conviction Aura, it just smacks you right in the middle and throws it all at you at once and you either shrug it off, or you die.

D2R HC SSF actually doesn't feel bad, because I'm in control of my own fate. Until I get smacked by mana burn and drop dead in the middle of a champion pack, but that has yet to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    diablo 3 is complete and utter garbage. gamers fled it years ago. no one plays it. it was so awful they cancelled the second xpac. dont let d3 fans fool you.
    There's just a super huge gap between D3 players and D2 players. They are not the same game, so the fans of 3 hate D2 and the fans of D2 hate D3. Mostly for being such a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Agree. D2 gameplay is still so much worse, that I can't play it. Luckily they had the demo weekend, so no need to buy and see if is any better than the original. I also still don't understand how farming one boss 10000 times is better endgame than grinding Greater Rifts (which I don't see as good endgame either).
    One aspect of D3 I loved (and still love) is how fluid the gameplay really is. D2 cannot hold a candle to it, as it's super clunky. For all the faults of D3, gameplay is not one of them, being insanely smooth compared to most other ARPG's out there. I still think it's better than PoE in this regard, even if I like the endgame of PoE much more.

In terms of everything else, I liked D3 more at the start when it was similar to D2. Even though I didn't use it much, I loved the AH at the start. Furthermore, I felt the itemization issues were less of a problem overall in terms of being able to choose from a variety of yellows (and sometimes blues in niche cases) for endgame gear in D3 at the start, unlike being locked into sets and legendary items in every slot. Some of the individual stats were kinda busted, but overall the mantra of "any item can be good" versus "non-set/legendary items are all trash" was way better at the start. It's akin to D2 and PoE in this regard, where sets and unique items complement your build but don't lock out any gearing choice in other slots.

Overall D3 was certainly an upgrade over D2 in many respects, but that doesn't mean fun can't be had in D2R. Although, I have no idea why Blizz didn't offer the option of direct casting of abilities a la D3/PoE/<insert any current day game>... of all the things to update, that would've been a great option. Due to hand injuries, I have issues using mouse buttons all the time, and it kills me having to be forced to use a mouse button to cast everything.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville