Thread: Metroid Dread

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    nah you are doing it wrong

Is Metroids gun stronger then Zeldas sword!
    Ahhh got you, I'm new, so I really appreciate it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on the fence about getting it sooner than later. Might not get a chance until next month, don't have too much fun without me.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMango View Post
    Ahhh got you, I'm new, so I really appreciate it!
    Well... technically.... Samus is a Metroid at the end and does some cool shit with the gun.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Finally got a chance to sit down with it. Two issues stand out so far:

- Manual targeting just doesn’t feel good.
    - EMMI zones are god awful. They aren’t adding tension, they’re annoying. They’re not fun, they feel shoehorned in to try and add difficulty(and they really don’t).

15+ Year Old Account
    Beat it. Easily my favorite metroid. Great bosses, movement and speed. Honestly wouldn't change much except stop using the same powers as upgrades every game

Finally got my CE and played it a bit.

Not a fan of the EMMI bits at all. If they gave you slightly more time to counter it wouldn't be a big deal but as is its just annoying.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Just finished Dread and really enjoyed it! The gameplay is smooth as butter and Samus feels terrific to control. I even enjoyed the bonkers ending. Sadly, the music is trash. Real bummer.

Too bad though, this could've been as good as Super Metroid if they would've been more creative with level aesthetics, monster aesthetics, music and completely removed the bullshit EMMI and lackluster counter.

Nevertheless, a good game. Last in the line of 2D Metroids, but still decent.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope it sells well, this is a franchise with infinite potential due to the aesthetics and setting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I really hope it sells well, this is a franchise with infinite potential due to the aesthetics and setting.
    So far it seems to be the best selling game in the series, if early results are anything to show. It's even topping the Eshop in Japan, which is surprising but in a good way. It's definitely the best game to come out this year.

I'm almost done myself...I'm circling back and getting all the upgrades I missed (while learning what I need to get them so I can get a lot of them earlier next time). This game is definitely a challenge on the first play, the bosses really wreck you before you learn them. The E.M.M.I. zones are not that bad once you know their layout, it's basically just run through as quick as you can, until you can destroy it. Once the E.M.M.I.'s are destroyed, their zones become almost like "fast travel" zones, they're almost empty and very quick to navigate, and they make the huge maps a bit more convenient to get around.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2021-10-12 at 06:36 PM.

I kike the game very much, im somewhat 75% done, i guess.

Emmis are kinda good, kinda bad.

What i like about emmis: if you able to successfully play them out its super fun. Like you use cloack, hide in a corner, or on the wall, they stopping right in front of you and leave... Thats fun. But most emmi parts are "wellll thats a dead and aaaand im dead". And that sucks.

I like the somewhat more lineal leveldesigne, so i dont run around with no clue for hours... These days i dont have time for that. Even its more lineal it gives you enough space to explore and find secrets.

And i really love how smooth it feels to play.

7+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of "linearity" it's the same as Super Metroid. There aren't any locked doors to keep you from exploring, just environmental obstacles you have to have the right item to get by. Super Metroid "railroads" you for the first bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Speaking of "linearity" it's the same as Super Metroid. There aren't any locked doors to keep you from exploring, just environmental obstacles you have to have the right item to get by. Super Metroid "railroads" you for the first bit too.
    Its not the same or you are really misremembering. Super Metroids terrain dosnt change constantly to stop you backtracking like Dread does. Having locked doors and the like isnt what we are talking about.

Super Metroid blocks progress purely from requiring powers while dread blocks progress with powers AND by altering terrain to funnel you to where the game wants you to go.

Got the special edition. Was not expecting it to be so big. Really enjoying the game so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    More I play the less I like the bullet spongie boss fights. I entered a boss that is underwater and with no gravity suit. No thanks. Ill pass on this guy for now. The parry shit is also starting to get annoying too. I am just too old for that shit.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2021-10-13 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Finally got my CE and played it a bit.

Not a fan of the EMMI bits at all. If they gave you slightly more time to counter it wouldn't be a big deal but as is its just annoying.
    That's kind of the point. You are not supposed to be caught.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought the bosses were the best in the series because they had actual mechanics that hurt a lot that you need to learn and you can't just spam super missiles and win in 20 seconds. The final boss, despite having a bit too much hp in phase 2, was spectacular

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just finished my 100% Hard playthrough and I gotta say, I absolutely adore this game. Samus controls better than any other entry and the sequence breaks you can do are a ton of fun. I’m nowhere near the people putting up ~1:30 any%, but I can see myself playing this until I can beat it in around 2 hours. Some of the puzzles to acquire items/expansions are so difficult that when you get them it’s incredibly satisfying. The speed boosting puzzles that have you pinballing across 3+ rooms are like magic tricks.
    I was on my way to finally 100% a Metroid game and saw one or two of the speed boosting puzzles and said fuck it. I'll take a 90% run.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I finally completed normal...18 hours. I think my completion times for the Prime games were less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I finally completed normal...18 hours. I think my completion times for the Prime games were less than that.
    Game time or actual time? The game timer is somewhat misleading as it resets the time whenever you reload back to where it was, and watching your map pauses the timer.