Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything that doesn't give you an advantage in combat. Except WoW tokens which do that in a roundabout way.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

nothing. 10 chars

Cosmetic items like mounts and transmogs and toys are fine. And if Blizzard expanded on that and put things like... I dunno, different dance emotes or something on the shop... hell, or even shop-exclusive character customization options... that would be fine. I probably wouldn't buy stuff like that, but it'd be fine.

Basically, anything short of placing raw power into player hands. And there's only so many ways that Blizzard could meaningfully do this. Fastpassing your way to flight before anyone else can in-game is one of them, so no, I'd rather that not be a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mounts, Armor Sets and other Tmogs, Pets.

Character services such as transfers and race changes, Boosts to 50 I really don't care either way.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Always amazes me how people here have hard-leaning right tendencies yet simultaneously hate the idea of monetization and don't connect the dots between these practices and capitalism.
    Can we leave politics out of the gaming forum, please?

Man, we have come a long way from the Horse Armour riot days. Now we got consumers making excuses for multi-billion dollar companies to sell more things to them (That should be in game) despite the fact that this is a sub game. I guess years of slowly boiling the water when it comes to this shit eventually worked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Any non-power related item that is already accessible in game.

I think purely cosmetic stuff, and ONLY if we're not seeing a decline in 'cosmetic' content in the normal game. This has been kind of my problem with the cash shop stuff becoming more frequent: less armor variety, seems like there aren't nearly as many mounts or pets to chase around and acquire.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    My honest opinion? NO CASH SHOP WHATSOEVER would be my choice. But since the topic's question predicates on the existence of a cash shop, I'd say the only acceptable cash shop items would be cosmetic...

... WITH A FEW CAVEATS:
    • No transmog armor/weapon sets.
    • No race customization options. (New hair styles/colors, faces, skin colors, etc).
    • No class customization options. (Quivers, librams, different looks for pets/abilities, etc).

All of the above should be fully available in-game at no rea-life money cost.
    We don't agree on much, but man I can't deny this, this 100%.

All these items and especially cosmetic are REASONS to wander in the world to collect or find items like that. Add it in the cash shop and what else is left to find? We need more reasons to go out not less.. why isn't this obvious for people?

just remove the damn cashshop.. no one would care honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with the majority on this one.
    -Transmog/Cosmetic; armor, weapons and accesories
    -Mounts & Toy items
    -Character services...and I honestly don't care about the character boost, as long as it doesn't boost to current lvl cap.
    Cthulhu 2024, why vote for a lesser evil

I think the answer to this is going to vary from community to community and how happy they are with the current group of people in charge. A good example is the WoW shop versus the FFXIV shop. The WoW shop is treated like a blight on the game and should be removed entirely, whereas, FFXIV has a far more robust shop that easily dwarfs WoW's shop and yet the players are far more seemingly okay with the shop.

In principle and my own opinion. Every last thing on both shops should be dissolved in accessible in the game in some way that involves playing the game except for the boosts which shouldn't exist at all. However, I don't care enough to die on that hill as long as player power isn't for sale on the shop.

I don't play FFXIV but I looked at its cash shop and you're right, it's worse than WoW's. They sell money directly, as opposed to exchanging it between players. They also sell weapons and armor, although it's unclear if they're so weak they're really just cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I don't play FFXIV but I looked at its cash shop and you're right, it's worse than WoW's. They sell money directly, as opposed to exchanging it between players. They also sell weapons and armor, although it's unclear if they're so weak they're really just cosmetics.
    They sell money directly? What does that mean? They don't sell gil unless something changed a lot recently.

The armor and weapons are all cosmetic only. I feel like there isn't the same feeling that the good stuff goes to the cash shop like there is for mounts in wow. Frankly the whole thing feels less predatory, I can't really point to why.

The worst cash shop aspect about FFXIV to me is the retainers; in a game with such a terrible inventory system they shouldn't be selling inventory space.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2021-10-12 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always felt like having a cash shop for anything continues to open that door wider for more and more. You start with something small like cosmetic appearances, which itself should be harmless, but you see the potential for more $$$ so yeah let's add purchasable mounts and leveling boosts and character transfers and etc etc etc.

Hard to say what is acceptable.

Some of the packages I saw include "platinum coins" that can be sold for 10,000 gil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the packages I saw include "platinum coins" that can be sold for 10,000 gil.
    I believe those are the Story Skip packages that let you skip the Main Story Quests, that plat coin is what you'd make in Gil doing those quests.

The MSQ skips don't grant levels unless im mistaken
    Last edited by SinR; 2021-10-12 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Sure, but the end result is you're buying in-game money for cash being generated from nothing, not traded from another player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalocy Jim View Post
    There are those who enjoy the cash shop, and then there are those who don't.

If we were to break it down into what is acceptable and what isn't in a cash shop, what would be acceptable to you to be in a cash shop?

For me the list would be:

• The current mounts, pets, toys
    • Transmog options
    • Character Services
    • Single level boosts (think 5-10$ each)
    • Early access flying (think 20-30$ per character to unlock it before the patch its released in)

I would absolutely not want ANY power upgrades to be sold in the cash shop. None. If they were to introduce direct power upgrades (ie, selling raid gear or the like) I would unsub immediately.
    So you don't feel flying offers an advantage at all. Interesting.

Sure, but the end result is you're buying in-game money for cash being generated from nothing, not traded from another player.
    10,000 gill is about same buying power as 10 gold.
    Msq skip and lvl boost net you 600000gill. So you have netted about 600g worth of ingame currency in wow standard.
    Crafted high end gear goes for about 250k-500k gill on AH, dependant on slot, class and server. You still have to socket it with 2 materia sockets that both dependant on materia can be from 20kgill to 100kgill + socketing cost and all this is compareable to 230 crafted item in wow.
    Last edited by Deneios; 2021-10-12 at 09:40 PM.

You're already buying a $50 expansion every other year and pay $180 a year to play the game, averaging out to $225 a year. Why should you have to pay even more money? You should have access to everything.