Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The game says that, it's the way it's been designed lol

Also, does the game have an "utter lack" of max level content, or does it have "so much stuff" locked behind max level? You seem to be arguing both.
    "So much" related to the small amount of different activities, to the variety.

"Utter lack" related to the amount of actual content.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Again, how do you come to this conclusion? Just because the endgame doesn't offer any variety compared to the content during the leveling process, it doesn't automatically make the "journey" the real game as you suppose.
    That's literally the design and the point of it. If they wanted to have a traditional "different" endgame they could have, they chose an endgame that more closely reflects what you do while leveling (similar to GW2, which is a common reference point at this point). That's the point of designing it that way, to break "endgame" away from being its own sectioned off, very different thing that opens up once you hit max level.

If you're looking for some explicit statement from Amazon, you're probably not gonna find it.

For me this very much sounds like a strawman argument to defend the utter lack of endgame content by just making "everything" from start to finish endgame content.
    Again, compare this with GW2 at launch. All that happened at level 80 was you had access to more content, not that the content you were doing was really any different from what you did while leveling. Also, keeping the whole world, including lower level zones, fairly relevant so that they don't lose all their value once you've out-leveled them (similar to New World, though New World doesn't have player level scaling).

"Lack of endgame content" needs context because again, your reference point seems to be "traditional theme park MMO raids/dungeon grinds is endgame content" which it is, but that's not the only endgame content.

And again, a bunch of folks looking for that and being disappointed it doesn't exist isn't a fault of Amazon, it's a fault of those players for not informing themselves about the game they purchased. Amazon has made the type of game this is clear, and have never pretended that NW is a traditional theme park MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are no genre police that will show up at my door to issue a citation for this or that aspect of my game being whatever I choose to make of it. Developers don't have to do anything in one particular style. They can blend aspects of other games, or not. Add certain aspects in part or whole, or not at all. No genre police are showing up to tell you how to make your game.
    It's totally your decision as a developer how your game is build. But if you want to make a living with your product, you better cater to your playerbase and not solely to your own needs and vision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "Lack of endgame content" needs context because again, your reference point seems to be "traditional theme park MMO raids/dungeon grinds is endgame content" which it is, but that's not the only endgame content.
    Oh come on, y'all act like it's just me who's complaining about the lack of endgame content when this was always a well-known issue not just during alpha, but even during beta and now at launch. This issue was one of the reasons why Amazon delayed the game to give us more "mid to end game content":

The link isn't working, it's in the fourth picture liked in that Reddit thread (Scott Lane's first comment):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgam...ng_over_plans/
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If you are making things like bags or tools then if you don't add Azoth to get as many perks as you can you are wasting value/mats. You also don't get gobs of azoth if no rifts or quests are in your area. If you are on a high pop server you might have tons always up on the market but you can still run out. You just aren't traveling or crafting much if you haven't.
    You do get gobs of Azoth. Every time I go out in the world I completely fill up Azoth just from gathering, fighting, and closing rifts. I fast travel everywhere, I loathe running everywhere.

Maybe you are not collecting azoth well if running out? Even killing a few level 30 mobs in an area I was farming for pelts netted me about 600 azoth when I teleported from Reek to Ebonscale and back over to Mightnight Den and then to back to Morningdale.

I was just killing lynx and crocodiles while gathering mushrooms. When I went back to farming Dryads, I was so maxed on Azoth I had hit about 400 azoth again after leaving Morningdale.

I cleared like, one farm and one rift solo in that time? Abouts. So that is a total fill-up.

I have several of those azoth vials unopened in almost every shed.

Yea, sure if you are bag crafting at a high level using the azoth is worth it. But why would you waste azoth on the low-tier bags that sell for less than the cost of the rune?

Though I am on a high pop server (Olympus and Valhalla) It's wild out here.

It's totally your decision as a developer how your game is build. But if you want to make a living with your product, you better cater to your playerbase and not solely to your own needs and vision.
    I don't know about that, WoW was pretty successful in the beginning because the developers stayed true to their design philosophy. Could argue that catering to their ever changing player base was the cause (or at least a cause) of their downward trend.
    Last edited by Takure; 2021-10-12 at 09:50 PM.

Oh come on, y'all act like it's just me who's complaining about the lack of endgame content when this was always a well-known issue not just during alpha, but even during beta and now at launch.
    No, not "just" you, but you're complaining about it here so we're responding. If others are making similar complaints, I'd respond to them the same way.

This issue was one of the reasons why Amazon delayed the game to give us more "mid to end game content":

https://preview.redd.it/0dpy6qdh8gf6...=webp&301a3b11
    Link doesn't work but...have they not done this? The PvE content we have is in part because of the delays, even if you and others may not think it's "enough".

I assume it's from this interview - https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgam...ng_over_plans/

And he specified a new endgame one that they added and...yeah, that was a late addition as of Nov. 2020 (months before the interview) so that's delivering on what he said.

Well, that is assuming all the players or even the majority of players are needing the same thing. Or if is that audience you are trying to cultivate.

I am not sure that is the case. I can't know for sure any more than the other guy, of course. But that being said, I am certain the developers do know. Whether they add mounts, frisbees or a 120 man raid to the game- time will tell. Though they don't have to add any of that and a game is not faulty for it (or lack thereof).

As I said earlier in the thread, there are gameplay issues with just the basic functions and those are the things IN THE GAME. I am empathizing that because it is not sensible to judge a work, game or otherwise, by our own notions of how we would like a work to be.

We have to judge something based on our engagement with what is presented. A work is not faulty for presenting what we do or do not like in something.

Just think of movies or books. You can not offer a take of a book by how you would have written it. Or how you would have directed the action in a film. It's a matter of if the book or film engaged you with the content as presented. The book isn't "bad" because it didn't have the scene you would have liked or the film faulty because you thought there should have been a two-shot in that one scene.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-10-12 at 10:28 PM. Reason: On my phone, cleaned it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Honeymooners always talk about "the journey" and such. It's practically in the manual.
    Man, some folks really just seem like y'all can't handle different opinions and think that everyone's got some ulterior motive or they're paid shills or something.

But it's fairly useless when discussing the long term health of a game since wandering the world, staring at sunbeams, and taking mental pictures of swamps only lasts so long.
    None of that is what I think most of us are talking about with "enjoy the journey". I mean, I'll stop and admire a view every once in a while, but for the most part I'm just spending time clearing out side quests and stopping to harvest materials I need to level shit up. And that's enjoyable for me, and knowing that that's also gonna be most of what I'm doing at max level is fine with me.

I mean, the "journey" stuff largely started because people were lecturing others on "playing too much" or "rushing to endgame". So on the topic of different opinions...
    The point was to contrast folks that just rushed to max level thinking that it was a traditional second gen MMO theme park where suddenly this whole new game with raids and other content not available at all while leveling would open up, and were disappointed that it wasn't there. The point being that you're not missing out on anything big by leveling up more slowly, and that the kind of, "Play 100+ hours a week!" play style isn't conducive to having a good time in any MMO. No MMO on the market can have enough "to do" for folks that are playing that much, and trying to cater to that crowd is silly.

so I'm still not quite sold on the game but I saw that housing IS a thing in and furniture can be crafted and here is the question I have. just how flexible is decorating system? can i resize my decorations, what are the placement limits beyond number of light fixtures apparently being limited based on a size of my home? do I learn recipes as I level furniture crafting, or do I have to find them out in a wild? do largest homes have outdoor areas or are balconies as far as it goes? can other players visit your home and if yes - how does that work? I did google NW housing, but just about everything I found just talks about weekly taxes, storage and that you should wait to buy a home because only first home gets you 50% off so you might want to spend it on a higher value home.

or in short - does housing in new world give me anything that I cannot already get in ESO? I can be perfectly happy playing home decorating as my end game, but I already do that in ESO, so what does NW offer in that regard that I cannot already get elsewhere?

thanks

P.S. lack of structured multiplayer PVE endgame is what almost killed SWTOR on release, and that game has been playing catch up ever since, so... lets hope it doesn't happen to new world.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2021-10-13 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    just how flexible is the decorating system?
    Not very. It's basic like most of the game.

can I resize my decorations
    No. It's just picked from a menu w/ rotation and grid placement options. If you can, I have no idea how to. I live in a shack.

what are the placement limits beyond a number of light fixtures apparently being limited based on the size of my home?
    Every house has a total number of items you can place including maximum pets and the lights which you already know about.

do I learn recipes as I level furniture crafting, or do I have to find them out in a wild?
    Both.

do the largest homes have outdoor areas or are balconies as far as it goes?
    Balconies is the limit really. There was one with a little like yard if you can call it that, that my guildmate had but it was like the entranceway basically.

Can other players visit your home and if yes - how does that work?
    Yes. You can bring friends into your house.

I did google NW housing, but just about everything I found just talks about weekly taxes, storage and that you should wait to buy a home because only first home gets you 50% off so you might want to spend it on a higher value home.
    It's really more of a utility thing is why most guides are like that. You have to be strategic with the houses you buy and how you use the CDs to get around. Also, the fact it all kinda ties into the PVP too.

or in short - does housing in new world give me anything that I cannot already get in ESO?
    Gooodnes, no. Barebones, like most of the game, as I already said.

I can be perfectly happy playing home decorating as my end game, but I already do that in ESO, so what does NW offer in that regard that I cannot already get elsewhere?
    Taxes that change based on the attitude of the controlling guild and PVP war?

I like the way housing works in FF14 and dimensions back in Rift's old days. But again, I live in a shack by the sea in New World.

15+ Year Old Account
    The small patch notes has me worried about the future of the game. They aren't fixing enough fast enough. With the place holder icons for some housing items it seems like this is more of a early access or "launch" beta. If it was a small indie company I could understand. But even for a "new studio" with backing by Amazon they should be doing better.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-10-13 at 02:26 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The small patch notes has me worried about the future of the game. They aren't fixing enough fast enough. With the place holder icons for some housing items it seems like this is more of a early access or "launch" beta. If it was a small indie company I could understand. But even for a "new studio" with backing by Amazon they should be doing better.
    https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/...s/update-1-0-1

? That's one week into launch, plus they've been working on the AFK solution (honestly should have already been in the game, but whatever) and transfers (also should have been set up already). Sure it's not a massive list, but it's a pretty decent group of fixes and tweaks. Seems like they're more focused on the actual bugs and issues affecting gameplay over something cosmetic like a single (best I can tell just one) housing item with a placeholder icon. Those are lower priority fixes that can wait.

snip
    goodness... thank you for the detailed responses. that last one especially was just.... nope. nopenopenope.

well, I guess it will be a no for me then, for now at least.

Wildstar had a lot of issues, but dear god do I miss its housing system....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Sure it's not a massive list, but it's a pretty decent group of fixes and tweaks. Seems like they're more focused on the actual bugs and issues affecting gameplay over something cosmetic like a single (best I can tell just one) housing item with a placeholder icon. Those are lower priority fixes that can wait.
    https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/...s/update-1-0-2

I wouldn't call either any of them "decent" compared to fixes that other companies push out. Is it nice those things are fixed? Sure. There are 19 place holders by my count. An "easy" fix. Yes a low priority one but still indicates all the things slipping through on top of all the bigger problems that are not getting fixed yet.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-10-13 at 03:31 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    goodness... thank you for the detailed responses. that last one especially was just.... nope. nopenopenope.

well, I guess it will be a no for me then, for now at least.

Wildstar had a lot of issues, but dear god do I miss its housing system....
    The game is kinda more of a "vibe" as I tell friends. It's somewhat sparse and unpolished in many areas, yet oddly compelling. The act of running around the areas (which are terrific) and the setting/themes have a certain appeal. You kinda dig it or nah.

There are better MMOs with more developed & robust systems out there for sure.

Don't get the point of this game tbh... everything is just garbage versions of other games.

If you are a player that wants the best combat/end game > wow

If you are a player that wants the best of anything else an mmorpg has to offer > ff14, eso, swtor.

NW is just hilariously bad, no clue how they said "yup this is ready to ship".

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    NW is just hilariously bad, no clue how they said "yup this is ready to ship".
    Games are more than their systems for people. NW isn't my cup of tea and I know it's chances of ever evolving into a raid sim are slim to none, but just because other games offer the same systems (but better versions) doesn't mean they offer the same mix or total experience.

At least NW seems unique in this regard.

Not familiar with any other swashbuckler era "fantasy" mmo with (slow ass, basic ass) action combat, the ability to (fucking mindlessly grind metric tons of mats so you can) craft the most powerful gear in the game, with a focus on (the dumbest possible type, aka zerg rushing) world pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do get gobs of Azoth. Every time I go out in the world I completely fill up Azoth just from gathering, fighting, and closing rifts. I fast travel everywhere, I loathe running everywhere.

Maybe you are not collecting azoth well if running out? Even killing a few level 30 mobs in an area I was farming for pelts netted me about 600 azoth when I teleported from Reek to Ebonscale and back over to Mightnight Den and then to back to Morningdale.

I was just killing lynx and crocodiles while gathering mushrooms. When I went back to farming Dryads, I was so maxed on Azoth I had hit about 400 azoth again after leaving Morningdale.

I cleared like, one farm and one rift solo in that time? Abouts. So that is a total fill-up.

I have several of those azoth vials unopened in almost every shed.

Yea, sure if you are bag crafting at a high level using the azoth is worth it. But why would you waste azoth on the low-tier bags that sell for less than the cost of the rune?

Though I am on a high pop server (Olympus and Valhalla) It's wild out here.
    what you describe here is far from normal, the chances of getting an Azoth drop from killing enemies is pretty low (~20% imho), and while doing rifts gives a guaranteed 20 per rift you would need to do a full map worth of rifts to get the Azoth you claimed above, also the Azoth vials are extremely rare to get, u have had a total of 3 in my ~90 hours play time, so you're well above average i would say on drops, you also don't state if you're using tools with the perk on it that has a chance to grant Azoth when gathering with them, so just gonna assume you do based on how you describe your gameplay session, which obviously the person you are quoting doesn't have that.

i personally run out of Azoth regularly, the other day i was forced to move all of my crafting mats from one town to another due to the fact the company in control of the zone i was in weren't doing the upgrade missions and the crafting stations were stagnating, so i moved to a new town where everything is lvl3/4+, that took a huge amount of Azoth going back and forth constantly until i had moved everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Games are more than their systems for people. NW isn't my cup of tea and I know it's chances of ever evolving into a raid sim are slim to none, but just because other games offer the same systems (but better versions) doesn't mean they offer the same mix or total experience.

At least NW seems unique in this regard.

Not familiar with any other swashbuckler era "fantasy" mmo with (slow ass, basic ass) action combat, the ability to (fucking mindlessly grind metric tons of mats so you can) craft the most powerful gear in the game, with a focus on (the dumbest possible type, aka zerg rushing) world pvp.
    but it's not unique
    it's just bad version of albion online