Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgunn View Post
    There were even reviewers complaining it was too hard and that the difficulty was a fault of the game.
    Games journalists are the problems. They don't sit down and relax and enjoy a game or take the time to learn and get better. They're not playing games. They're trying to rush out a review as fast as possible, sometimes not even finishing the game, and they have to review several games per week. They're also not picking games that fits their tastes or think they might enjoy; they're often reviewing games that they would dislike, simply for the sake of getting a review on it.

Because Dread really ia bad at signposting where to go at points. Like not being able to advance until I find the two squares of floor that are destructible but identical to the rest of the floor. That's never been the case in past games. At least when it comes to critical path.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I will say from what I've noticed is that earlier installments of Metroid did give you a little more on-the-nose direction in some cases. For example, in the Prime series, you'd get a prompt that your sensors detected some issue or anomaly, giving you a very rough idea of where you should head next. Other M was similar in this regard, highlighting a section of the map to go search for or visit.
    Those are not 2D Metroids. Only 2D Metroid to give explicit waypoints is Fusion and that was somewhat story justified.

- - - Updated - - -

There's probably a reason this is the first new 2d metroid in a while. It's a game that lies outside most modern gamers sensibilities.

There were even reviewers complaining it was too hard and that the difficulty was a fault of the game.

From: https://mashable.com/article/metroid...intendo-switch
    A journo complaining about difficult game is almost as tired meme as "X is Dark Souls of Y".

People voted for Trump and Biden... do you really think they do a research for a game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    A journo complaining about difficult game is almost as tired meme as "X is Dark Souls of Y".
    Or "Why all games should have difficulty settings."

If the artist intended you to experience the work in a certain way, don't diminish it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    People voted for Trump and Biden... do you really think they do a research for a game?
    Every circus needs a ringmaster (or head clown).
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Femininity View Post
    Or "Why all games should have difficulty settings."

If the artist intended you to experience the work in a certain way, don't diminish it.
    Ironically, Dread does have a difficulty setting. It is just not the one journos want.

There's probably a reason this is the first new 2d metroid in a while. It's a game that lies outside most modern gamers sensibilities.

From: https://mashable.com/article/metroid...intendo-switch
    I haven't played the new one, but its hard for me to imagine that this person "loves Metroid" but can't play this one without being frustrated on a fundamental level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Are we really expecting people to do actual research when it comes to buying games now? Fuck me.

Do you research a movie before you pay to see it so you know every detail before you sit down and watch? Or do you just watch a trailer and think it looks like something you might enjoy?

You're complaining that random nobodies on the internet aren't super well-versed in everything they should expect from a game and thus voicing displeasure when they find something they don't like about a game you clearly love. I'm not so sure those people are the issue.

Learn to accept that not everyone will like what you like. And they certainly won't "research" a game. The majority of people aren't arseholes like us on a gaming forum that know a bit more about things. They're just people that like games and will buy what they like the look of.
    I mean, the difference is a 2 hour, 15$ movie compared to a 60$ 20+ hour video game? I mean, yes, it would be smart to research something you plan to put a significant amount of time into. No, its their fault for looking at something and saying "ooooh pretty!" and then buying it. Not everyone will like all genres, and thats not the fault of the genre. I don't enjoy bullethell games, so I don't play them. It would be stupid of me to buy them and then whine and complain about how terrible they are all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I haven't played the new one, but its hard for me to imagine that this person "loves Metroid" but can't play this one without being frustrated on a fundamental level.
    It's not out of the realm of possibility though. Metroid Prime is almost 20 years old so someone who loves Metroid possibly only played the Prime series, Fusion, Other M, and Zero Mission which is quite hand holdy in comparison. Also of note by today's standards Metroid 1 and 2 haven't aged well and Super has been played to death so there is no shortage of guides

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    It's not out of the realm of possibility though. Metroid Prime is almost 20 years old so someone who loves Metroid possibly only played the Prime series, Fusion, Other M, and Zero Mission which is quite hand holdy in comparison. Also of note by today's standards Metroid 1 and 2 haven't aged well and Super has been played to death so there is no shortage of guides
    To be fair, I have only played the first three games. ./shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Games journalists are the problems. They don't sit down and relax and enjoy a game or take the time to learn and get better. They're not playing games. They're trying to rush out a review as fast as possible, sometimes not even finishing the game, and they have to review several games per week. They're also not picking games that fits their tastes or think they might enjoy; they're often reviewing games that they would dislike, simply for the sake of getting a review on it.
    I don't think having a reviewer, review a game that doesn't necessarily fit their tastes, is a bad thing. It might help them be more objective than someone who is deeply knowledgable about the chosen genre. Afterall, games are sold to everyone, not just people who "know" it's a game they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Never happens to me. I never pre-order anything and wait for 1-3 months postlaunch reviews. Saves a lot of money and frustration.
    Also, avoids most of the game crashing bugs in many AAA games(but Nintendo games probably aren't affected by this one much).

Going back on topic, I LOVE that Dread is difficult by default. That makes it much better, honestly. So many games are trivialized walks in the park that I force myself through because of one good aspect. Rarely does a game feel like the total package of gameplay and immersion. IMO, some strife is needed to create a sense of accomplishment, and without that sense of accomplishment, a game will never be the total package.

The difficulty doesn't have to be in combat, it can be in the choices you make(and deciding to live with them, or save scum around them), like with Planescape: Torment or Disco Elysium, or even in the challenges that are available but that one doesn't attempt, like in early WoW or Destiny 2. Some barriers to absolute winning are needed. Without strife there is no harmony.

Difficulty isn't the right word. The best games have friction that can slowly be loosened by the player. Not just in their learning curve(though much of the heavy lifting can be accomplished here) but actually baked into the mechanics. The Souls series is a great example of how to create and use a long learning curve to support and synergize with in game mechanics, designed to create both a short term and long term sense of progression. It often creates very endearing memories for those who stick it out.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-10-14 at 06:01 PM.

Dread has difficult moments that force you to learn but it's not punishing at all. You fail to an emmi you respawn right outside emmi zone and try a different path until you get it. You die to a boss you respawn right outside boss room and just learn the patterns. For people that don't want to be stuck or explore there are plenty of guides online to keep them on correct progression paths.

Difficult moments in the game, not punishing at all and facilitates fast learning. My faith in gaming is going down hill if any fully able adult thinks the game is too hard.

Not nowadays, no.

Sometimes been guilty of buying something that I really like the look of, and want to enjoy but ultimately know the genre isn't for me.
    JRPGs being the main guilty party.

Depends on the game. Sometimes you pretty much know what to expect and take a leap. Other times it looks interesting, but you dont quite know what the game is and research. I often stay away from atricles as a lot of people actively look for spoilers and trailers often enough spoil a bit too much also.

People are shockingly stupid but think they are not because they get along in life for the most part. Spend some time doing or reading product testing reports of basic things like toilet paper or turning on a coffee pot and then reflect on how much "research" or just thought people actually put toward things. Even things they claim to love or be deeply invested in.

even when i

- also love the classical metroid games.
    - also think, that ppl are rather stupid (complaining about that things) that OP has memtioned.
    - also can not understand, how dumb ppl can be, when buying a game.
    - also can understand and share everything OP said (and i do).

… and if all above is true for me (and it is), i nonetheless really have to ask the people in this thread just one question:

are you really discussing the mindlessness and stupidity of 14 year old kids in a mmoc thread?

REAAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY ?

i mean, come on. yes, many ppl out there are stupid AF. they are stupid as a piece of wood. yes. and yes, 14 years old kids buy games because „its new and cool and friends have it too“. but: so what? you wanna discuss this ??? you wanna discuss that the sky is blue and why the sky is blue and not purple??? come on. tbh, imo you must be REALLY bored, when discussing that ppl mindlessly buy a Nintendo game. i mean Nintendo. Kids Nintendo. Mass market Nintendo. WTF.

yes, many ppls are stupid. yes, 14 year old kids do stupid things. news at 11.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-10-14 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    On friday Metroid Dread released, and it's glorious. I'm so happy to finally, after 19 years, have a NEW Metroid game in 2D to play and it's fantastic.
    It's a bit railroady compared to earlier titles, with how you reach an area and a door locks behind you locking out half the map at times, but overall it's fantastic.

I've seen so many people complain about the game though. Complaints that make it obvious it's their first Metroid game, such as "There are no waypoints!", "I have no idea where to go!" and the usual "It's too difficult!".

Do people not do their research when buying a game, so they know what to expect? If not, why don't they? Do they just see a cool cover and buy the pig in the sack and then get mad when the pig doesn't meet their expectations? Complaining about how a Metroidvania doesn't tell you where to go is like complaining about how you need to do hard jumps on a platformer. I honestly don't understand how these people reason.
    I hate the locking down section thing in games. I enjoy exploring everything and i get really pissed off if trying ledt instead of right brutally ends my exploration

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    even when i

- also love the classical metroid games.
    - also think, that ppl are rather stupid (complaining about that things) that OP has memtioned.
    - also can not understand, how dumb ppl can be, when buying a game.
    - also can understand and share everything OP said (and i do).

… and if all above is true for me (and it is), i nonetheless really have to ask the people in this thread just one question:

are you really discussing the mindlessness and stupidity of 14 year old kids in a mmoc thread?

REAAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY ?

i mean, come on. yes, many ppl out there are stupid AF. they are stupid as a piece of wood. yes. and yes, 14 years old kids buy games because „its new and cool and friends have it too“. but: so what? you wanna discuss this ??? you wanna discuss that the sky is blue and why the sky is blue and not purple??? come on. tbh, imo you must be REALLY bored, when discussing that ppl mindlessly buy a Nintendo game. i mean Nintendo. Kids Nintendo. Mass market Nintendo. WTF.

yes, many ppls are stupid. yes, 14 year old kids do stupid things. news at 11.
    Pretty sure 14 year olds aren't the target metroid audience even if the game is rated T for T. It's a core gamer franchise with it's last main 2D entry being released before any 14 year was born. They also weren't born when Prime 3 was released, and they where 3 when Other M came out. Metroid is too rare of a series to be attracting an age group like that. The target audience is probably in their late 20s to mid 30s, you know the people who have actually played Metroid games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I mean, the difference is a 2 hour, 15$ movie compared to a 60$ 20+ hour video game? I mean, yes, it would be smart to research something you plan to put a significant amount of time into. No, its their fault for looking at something and saying "ooooh pretty!" and then buying it. Not everyone will like all genres, and thats not the fault of the genre. I don't enjoy bullethell games, so I don't play them. It would be stupid of me to buy them and then whine and complain about how terrible they are all the time.
    You're not exactly describing "research" though. A game present itself as the genre it is. You normally don't have to look up anything about the game to find out what kind of game it is. If you have to, that's probably a failing on the company for advertising the game incorrectly.

The only time I look into games past the trailers honestly is if it's a game that I don't think I would normally enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Pretty sure 14 year olds aren't the target metroid audience even if the game is rated T for T. It's a core gamer franchise with it's last main 2D entry being released before any 14 year was born. They also weren't born when Prime 3 was released, and they where 3 when Other M came out. Metroid is too rare of a series to be attracting an age group like that. The target audience is probably in their late 20s to mid 30s, you know the people who have actually played Metroid games.
    why shouldnt a 14 year old buy some new game ppl call „good“ and thats on the news and have some nice cover? its like sayin 14 year old never will watch star wars. and besides that: to „know“ they are not the target audience they should exactly do what OP said ppl did not.

imo what you say, even when the base of it is true, makes no sense and is not reality.