View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Wonderful? Have you bothered to read up on what the issue is about? Because if you think this is wonderful..
    You ask if the dribbles is well read? None moreso my friend...

Polish courts have asserted that their national laws take precedence over EU law making them incompatible with EU membership. The German courts did the same thing last year in favour of Germany.

Poland is being threatened by the EU withholding billions of Euro, Germany receives no penalty at all for doing the exact same thing. No surprise then that Poland faces a stark choice, surrender to the EU Reich or leave the German controlled EU.

Recent history shows the Polish are no fans of surrendering, is that a fair precis?

Meanwhile in France, the EU's Mr Brexit Monsieur Barnier seems now to be calling for Frexit by doing the same as Germany and Poland. Eurochums just accept the EU dominoes one by one are falling...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Someone wasting their time spamming burner accounts to post on these forums doesn't come across, to me, as smart enough to figure that out.
    You need at least 200 post/replies to respond to a OT politics thread. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    You need at least 200 post/replies to respond to a OT politics thread. Problem solved.
    More stringent requirements to access non-game subforums have been suggested for a long time repeatedly.

The powers that be around here are not interested in taking that step.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You ask if the dribbles is well read? None moreso my friend...

Polish courts have asserted that their national laws take precedence over EU law making them incompatible with EU membership. The German courts did the same thing last year in favour of Germany.

Poland is being threatened by the EU withholding billions of Euro, Germany receives no penalty at all for doing the exact same thing. No surprise then that Poland faces a stark choice, surrender to the EU Reich or leave the German controlled EU.

Recent history shows the Polish are no fans of surrendering, is that a fair precis?

Meanwhile in France, the EU's Mr Brexit Monsieur Barnier seems now to be calling for Frexit by doing the same as Germany and Poland. Eurochums just accept the EU dominoes one by one are falling...
    You answered the question with a rather lengthy "no" .. you do not know what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    You answered the question with a rather lengthy "no" .. you do not know what it is all about.
    He reads headlines, and conclude what he feel about it.

Fact is that, according to some news sources, the EU is always on the brink of collapse. I'm sure Dribbles felt the same during the 08' economic crisis.

The consequences of the EU somehow "closing down" are unmanageable. The UK is just 1 country leaving, and it's a complete shitshow. Regardless of your opinion about the EU, the alternative, shown by the last centuries of history, is far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Feel free to explain how it could be changed, exactly, without breaking the GFA.

You have a border in the Irish Sea, or you have a border in Ireland. The GFA means you can't have a border in Ireland. So you have a border in the Irish Sea.

I don't see where the wiggle room is that you can say "the NI protocol will be changed". It's like throwing yourself out of a plane without a parachute then demanding that gravity be changed because you don't like the result.
    Cooee

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/sta...650181128?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    And?

There would still a border in the Irish Sea. There is still the need for checks on goods that are moving between the UK and NI, they are just potentially reducing and streamlining them. None of this impacts the protocol, it adjusts the implementation of the protocol.

They are basically saying that there will be a reduction in controls between two entities that, currently, have equivalent laws in place regarding the products in question. Let's revisit this one once the Tories start their process of getting rid of EU "red tape". Because I guarantee you that the EU will be a LOT more worried about UK sausages once we ease the limits of what kind of shit can get put in them.

And there is no guarantee that the fuckwits in the UK government would agree to this anyway. They are determined to get rid of the border they signed up to completely. And that STILL can't happen, without ending up with a border in Ireland.

This is in no way the kind of "gotcha" you seem to think it is.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice to see the EU cave, they finally realise we hold all the cards as I've said all along. Doesn't go far enough IMHO considering, I'm sure they will give more ground. Still it's a start, but does beg the question that if they are so weak they can't stand up to little ole Britain, how they going to do it when up against the likes of China?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Nice to see the EU cave, they finally realise we hold all the cards as I've said all along. Doesn't go far enough IMHO considering, I'm sure they will give more ground. Still it's a start, but does beg the question that if they are so weak they can't stand up to little ole Britain, how they going to do it when up against the likes of China?
    Sigh. I knew you'd come out with this kind of bullshit.

This isn't caving, this is the EU recognising that there are some negative impacts on NI and attempting to rectify it. While also ensuring that the GFA is maintained, as well as their Single Market. They are doing their best within the constraints that the UKs ridiculous "cake and eat it" Brexit imposed.

They are doing a better job of protecting NI than the UK is, with their threats of tearing the whole thing up.

You and "Lord" Frost appear to share the same brain cell when it comes to these things. Not sure who has ownership of it right at the moment.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

The EU is a pragmatic organisation that prefere compromises over giving an ultimatum. The EU rarely act based on feelings.

It however still consists of a border between NI and the the rest of the UK. In the end, the EU will prefere a decent partner in the UK, over letting you rot. It's a fine balance of leaving the EU having a negative consequence, obviously, and gain whatever we can from the partnership.

If anything, the EU once again shows that it negotiates in good faith, and will compromise with it partners, for a win/win. You might see it as weakness, but we do not live in 1914.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2021-10-13 at 12:15 PM.

That is, and always will be their problem. They are geopolitical pygmies masquerading as strong, competent world leaders. Unfortunately all the evidence show they are merely a paper tiger, respected by nobody.

Funniest bit for me was the sight of Macron flexing his muscles at the G7, hugging with Biden, publicly giving Boris a 'telling off', when all along the Anglosphere were stitching them up in the next room with the AUKUS deal!

EU just not credible, no matter how much they try and barge their way into the UN like John Terry at the Champions League final

- - - Updated - - -

And?

There would still a border in the Irish Sea. There is still the need for checks on goods that are moving between the UK and NI, they are just potentially reducing and streamlining them. None of this impacts the protocol, it adjusts the implementation of the protocol.

They are basically saying that there will be a reduction in controls between two entities that, currently, have equivalent laws in place regarding the products in question. Let's revisit this one once the Tories start their process of getting rid of EU "red tape". Because I guarantee you that the EU will be a LOT more worried about UK sausages once we ease the limits of what kind of shit can get put in them.

And there is no guarantee that the fuckwits in the UK government would agree to this anyway. They are determined to get rid of the border they signed up to completely. And that STILL can't happen, without ending up with a border in Ireland.

This is in no way the kind of "gotcha" you seem to think it is.
    So, is it going to be changed or not?

So, is it going to be changed or not?
    At the risk of wasting my breath talking to someone who clearly isn't interested in subtleties....

This is tweaking the agreement. Managing the mechanics of the Protocol. What the UK are talking about (and what my post you quoted was a response to) was changing the underlying principles of the Protocol. Even with these "concessions" that the EU are proposing, the border will still be there in the Irish Sea. Frost wants to get rid of that, and I stand by my statement that you can't do that without breaking the GFA.

So it depends on what you mean by "change". But you aren't interested in the details, clearly. You just want to be able to stick two fingers up to Johnny Foreigner, because the UK is so clearly superior.

Border in Ireland, or border in the Irish Sea. Pick one. There is no option C, regardless of what intellectual pygmies like Frost believe. And if you pick breaking the Protocol and saying "there is no border in the Irish Sea" then the UK government will be responsible for the creation of a border in Ireland and breaking the GFA. Good luck getting your trade deal with the US after that.

Then we'll see who the "geopolitical pygmies" are.

At the risk of wasting my breath talking to someone who clearly isn't interested in subtleties....

This is tweaking the agreement. Managing the mechanics of the Protocol. What the UK are talking about (and what my post you quoted was a response to) was changing the underlying principles of the Protocol. Even with these "concessions" that the EU are proposing, the border will still be there in the Irish Sea. Frost wants to get rid of that, and I stand by my statement that you can't do that without breaking the GFA.

So it depends on what you mean by "change". But you aren't interested in the details, clearly. You just want to be able to stick two fingers up to Johnny Foreigner, because the UK is so clearly superior.

Border in Ireland, or border in the Irish Sea. Pick one. There is no option C, regardless of what intellectual pygmies like Frost believe. And if you pick breaking the Protocol and saying "there is no border in the Irish Sea" then the UK government will be responsible for the creation of a border in Ireland and breaking the GFA. Good luck getting your trade deal with the US after that.

Then we'll see who the "geopolitical pygmies" are.
    Hahaha, course mate!

You keep rambling on about the GFA as if you actually think you know what it means. The EU are weak, very weak at the moment, fighting multiple fronts. They will yield.

Hahaha, course mate!

You keep rambling on about the GFA as if you actually think you know what it means. The EU are weak, very weak at the moment, fighting multiple fronts. They will yield.
    Projection of ignorance might work when you "debate" with your mates down the pub. It doesn't work with me.

If you have an issue with my interpretation of the GFA and the impact of breaking the Protocol on it, then state it. Otherwise you're just posturing emptily like Frost is.

Hahaha, course mate!

Yield on what? letting a 3rd country gain access to the single market? What's next, unicorns? As I wrote, the EU is pragmatic and able to compromise. If you see that as giving in, you're as ignorant as Dribbles.

In the end, putting up a border between Ireland and NI, will mean terrorist attacks in London and not Brussels.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Yield on what? letting a 3rd country gain access to the single market? What's next, unicorns? As I wrote, the EU is pragmatic and able to compromise. If you see that as giving in, you're as ignorant as Dribbles.

In the end, putting up a border between Ireland and NI, will mean terrorist attacks in London and not Brussels.
    The UK will not put up a border between the North and the South under any circumstances. If there is no border the EU's single market is in tatters, broke, shot to pieces if you like. It is the EU who will have to enforce, and thereby break the GFA, and install the border to protect their single market. That is why the EU are so weak and have no hand to play any more.

It's check mate for the EU, thanks to the brilliance of our Brexit negotiators. Just as we said all along, the cards are all ours.

The UK will not put up a border between the North and the South under any circumstances. If there is no border the EU's single market is in tatters, broke, shot to pieces if you like. It is the EU who will have to enforce, and thereby break the GFA, and install the border to protect their single market. That is why the EU are so weak and have no hand to play any more.

It's check mate for the EU, thanks to the brilliance of our Brexit negotiators. Just as we said all along, the cards are all ours.
    Correct, they overplayed their hand when they had all the power. They are now finding out its no longer possible to do it, and there is no appetite within EU member states for a trade war with the UK, so we shall get what we want, its rather quite straightforward.

Your right. the EU would put up a border and enforce it. But don't think for a moment that the Irish are as stupid as you are. If the UK breaks the WA and unilaterally disbands the Irish Sea border it will be the UK that gets blamed, not the EU.

And, yet again, Boris has twice? now threatened to blow up the WA. And twice ran back with his tail between his legs because the entire world answered "do this and our deals with the UK are void".

If you want to blow up the WA then go do it, stop being cowards and just do it. The EU doesn't give a shit, we know how that will end and it will be infinitely worse for the UK then for the EU.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The EU doesn't give a shit
    You know that's not true, which is why the EU are doing everything they can to avoid this problem escalating. Which our moronic Brexiteer friends see as "weakness" that they can exploit. Sadly they are still in thrall to Cummings and his ridiculous games theories of politics.

But the EU will do what they can up to the red lines of the sanctity of the Single Market. Then any ground they may choose to give stops. The sooner Boris and his team of fucktards realise this, the sooner we can get back to having proper adult relationships with our friends in the EU.

And we'll still have a border in the Irish Sea. Or we'll break the GFA in getting rid of it, which will make us an international pariah with both the EU and the US. Still, at least we'll still have the Russians pushing funds into the Tories pockets, so they may not care too much.

It may just be empty posturing anyway; trying to deflect attention from the report on how badly they messed up the Covid response. Why anyone would see what they did there and think they were some machiavellian planners who were controlling the whole process of Brexit to their benefit is beyond me. Boris has to be one of the stupidest men ever to grace Parliament. His ability to spout nonsense in more than one language doesn't mask that.

Sigh. I knew you'd come out with this kind of bullshit.

This isn't caving, this is the EU recognising that there are some negative impacts on NI and attempting to rectify it. While also ensuring that the GFA is maintained, as well as their Single Market. They are doing their best within the constraints that the UKs ridiculous "cake and eat it" Brexit imposed.

They are doing a better job of protecting NI than the UK is, with their threats of tearing the whole thing up.

You and "Lord" Frost appear to share the same brain cell when it comes to these things. Not sure who has ownership of it right at the moment.
    Satan or Putin has the ownership currently.