Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dungeons or Settings you would have wanted to be Raids

As title says, what are some Dungeons or locations/themes/settings that you would have wanted to explore as full blown Raids.

For me it would have to be the missed opportunity of War of the Ancients raid in Cataclysm, where we get to fight alongside the Ancients in the past when the Legion first invaded Azeroth.

My second pick would be Azjol Nerub, because I think that place really deserved to be Suramar levels of scale and epicness as an ancient raid city to explore. The Azjol Nerub and Ahn'kahet dungeons were really just scratching the surface of what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    As title says, what are some Dungeons or locations/themes/settings that you would have wanted to explore as full blown Raids.

For me it would have to be the missed opportunity of War of the Ancients raid in Cataclysm, where we get to fight alongside the Ancients in the past when the Legion first invaded Azeroth.

My second pick would be Azjol Nerub, because I think that place really deserved to be Suramar levels of scale and epicness as an ancient raid city to explore. The Azjol Nerub and Ahn'kahet dungeons were really just scratching the surface of what could have been.
    I second the Nerubian zone which was scrapped. As far as I know it would've been the largest zone in Nordend, reaching deep into icecrown from dragonblight. Sad this zone got scrapped. Would've made a great raid inside their temple, with an Anub fight that would've been worth Anub (not what we got...).

Stratholme
    Utgarde keep/pinnacle complex
    Shadowfang Keep
    Scarlet Monastery
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would have loved to see more Caverns of Time in both dungeon and raid form. Feel like that was and still is a missed opportunity. Was there ever a lore reason given for why we don't use them anymore?

In any event, I second War of the ancients and Azjol Nerub, the latter in particular. There are still some living Nerubians, it would have been cool to see more of them (Unless those 3 quest givers were the only survivors?)

Some others I'd have liked to see:
    - Sacking of Stormwind (First war)
    - Battle at Blackrock Spire (Second war, Lothars fall)
    - More dungeons/raids that gave us explorable versions of old areas a la Old Hillsbrad
    - Blasting of Draenor
    - More emerald Dream (Uncorrupted version?)

Also wouldn't mind a raid that uses the Warfront formula. making the raiders build a base, soldiers, and attack/defend along side of them. (I doubt this is a popular opinion but I like anything that rings the RTS nostalgia bell)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account

The Karazhan Catacombs is the first that comes to mind.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I missed out on Antorus so I'd personally just enjoy more otherworldly or outer space themed content. Something's just really fucking cool about seeing a planet in the skybox.

Caverns of time. Don’t care about anything post-TBC.

Scarlet Crusade raid taking place in a giant castle, making it the only human raid the game has. We have fought orcs in their strongholds as raids, yet we haven't fought humans in their castle

Back before Cataclysm got released I always liked the idea of another human raid taking place in Gilneas where Greymane is the final boss

Azjol-Nerub speaks for itself. It was going to be a huge zone with a raid (Anub'arak being the final boss), but it got cut short to just 2 dungeons

A Caverns of Time raid where we besiege Quel'Thalas with Arthas, starting in Deatholme and ending at the Sunwell

Barrow Dens raid beneath Hyjal, the same place where the WC3 mission took place where Malfurion awakened the Druids of the Claw and Tyrande freed Illidan

Emerald Dream from Classic would have made a much better raid than that thing we got in Legion

Karazhan Crypts if only Blizzard got some balls left and made the entire place be creepy

Also a Caverns of Time dungeons where we aid Arthas and Anub'arak in taking the Frozen Throne from Illidan. Not sure how well this would work out as a raid with the obelisk stuff
    Last edited by McNeil; 2021-10-13 at 05:52 PM.

Grim Batol.

The fallen dwarf fortress that later served as the HQ of the Dragonmaw Clan and prison of Alexstrasza was done dirty. There's a lot of interesting things they could have done with it, especially if they took the Infinite Dragonflight / Caverns of Time route.

Surprised they didn’t turn Dalaran into a mini dungeon or something instead of doing Violet Hold 2.0. That could have been cool. Get to go through the streets. The sewer. Could have fleshed out that spire too. Ends in the violet Hold for the last boss.

The Shattrath raid I was disappointed got scrapped. Would have loved seeing that from the inside once returned to its former glory.

Would like to see a raid zone that is snowy, lots of natural set ups for raid mechanics. Don’t think we have ever got one? Icecrown citadel don’t really count because it has some snow on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I would have loved to see more Caverns of Time in both dungeon and raid form. Feel like that was and still is a missed opportunity. Was there ever a lore reason given for why we don't use them anymore?

In any event, I second War of the ancients and Azjol Nerub, the latter in particular. There are still some living Nerubians, it would have been cool to see more of them (Unless those 3 quest givers were the only survivors?)

- More dungeons/raids that gave us explorable versions of old areas a la Old Hillsbrad
    - Blasting of Draenor

Also wouldn't mind a raid that uses the Warfront formula. making the raiders build a base, soldiers, and attack/defend along side of them. (I doubt this is a popular opinion but I like anything that rings the RTS nostalgia bell)
    I'm guessing the bronze flight losing their power had something to do with it. They stopped making CoT stuff right after Cata added 3 dungeons to it.

I imagine WoD also had an effect, due to how much people lost their minds over WoD involving time travel.

a lot of classic and I mean pre cataclysm update classic dungeons like Wailing caverns and the temple of Atal'Hakkar should totally be raids.

I wish Black Rook Hold had a raid. I really like the ghost/haunted places kind of dungeons raids over the years, Karazhan being a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Grim Batol.

The fallen dwarf fortress that later served as the HQ of the Dragonmaw Clan and prison of Alexstrasza was done dirty. There's a lot of interesting things they could have done with it, especially if they took the Infinite Dragonflight / Caverns of Time route.
    I always felt like they should have swapped Bastion of Twilight location to Grim Batol, and have Cho'gall just take up residence there. It's such a bigger connection to the lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    - Blasting of Draenor
    Love it. Would have definitely been interested in seeing more CoT content, especially regarding the first two wars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Scarlet Crusade raid taking place in a giant castle, making it the only human raid the game has. We have fought orcs in their strongholds as raids, yet we haven't fought humans in their castle
    Definitely worth having a raid focused on em, considering how ever-present they had been throughout Vanilla and into Wrath.

Emerald Dream from Classic would have made a much better raid than that thing we got in Legion
    Should have had its own expansion, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalladin View Post
    The Shattrath raid I was disappointed got scrapped. Would have loved seeing that from the inside once returned to its former glory.
    Never really thought about it, but I think you're right it seemed like a perfect setup to have a Shattrath raid. WoD was lot of missed opportunities, like no Farahlon or Ogre Isles and the cut major cities of Karabor and Bladespire Citadel.

The Nerubian Kingdom Azjol / Ahn'Kahet.

5+ Year Old Account

I would have loved to have Shadowmoon Burial Grounds as a raid. Not only is probably the coolest dungeon in an expansion (or half an expansion lol) with outstanding dungeons, but it would have made at least SOME justice to poor Ner'zhul, whom devs have never missed the chance to take a big dump on.

I would have also loved to have Grim Batol as a full fledged raid instead of a cheap reskin of Ironforge. They could have given an use to all those Old Ironforge assets from Vanilla, so that we could admire a (former) Dark Iron city in all its glory. It would have also been coherent with the original vision of Cata, which was supposed to be a sort of Vanilla+ according to early development statements from Blizz.

Contrariwise, raids like Hyjal in BC or Uldir in BfA could have perfectly been dungeons, without the overall story suffering a lot. I'm still unsure about what exactly was the story reason for them to be raids, in the first place. Raiding Uldir as Alliance made as much sense as Horde going into, Idk, Waycrest Manor (which BTW is another dungeon that could have been cool af as a raid, instead of lame EP).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is definitely a fun one. I think a lot of great ideas have already been stated, so I'll just throw a vote behind WoD's Shattrath and Azjol'Nerub as raids.

I don't think anybody mentioned the plan to raid in the Abyssal Maw yet, but I was always sad that didn't work out. I think Blizz was so taken aback by player response to underwater content that they fled from the plan without even considering possible changes they could make. Just off the top of my head, the villain flushes most of the water out of the main area, creating a disaster for the things that are supposed to live there, but making it just freaking great for us. Alternatively make it underwater but the villain's magic prevents us from swimming in most places; but we aren't *slow* because of Neptulon's [or Hydraxxis' or whomever's] aid. It could have been made to work without trashing the whole idea. I'd have loved if we'd actually gotten all four elemental planes that expansion.

Hard agree with those who thought Grim Batol deserved more. We saw one small section, and yes I totally agree with whomever had said Cho'Gall could have set up shop there instead of some random tower. Grim Batol is a *fortress*, what better place to be called their bastion than that?

Also agree on "why was Hyjal a raid"? The whole motif of the Infinite was to try to make a past historical event "better", attempting to trick their opponents into letting them get away with things. "How great would Azeroth have been if the orcs never invaded?" "How wonderful if Arthas was stopped before he could become the Lich King?" Nevermind the damage to the timeline or how fucked we'd be if those events didn't prepare us for greater threats to come, plausible temptations like those made the Infinite Dragonflight both threatening and *fascinating*. All we did in Hyjal was... watch things unfold the same way we did in WC3. It's a waste pure and simple.

Hm. Where else would I have loved to see? Not as a raid *necessarily* but I'm still mad we never got Farahlon on Draenor. The uncorrupted Netherstorm would have been a delight. But [wrongly or rightly] people hated the expansion enough that Blizz seemed in a rush to get us out of there early.

I always felt like they should have swapped Bastion of Twilight location to Grim Batol, and have Cho'gall just take up residence there. It's such a bigger connection to the lore.
    I think Bastion of Twilight is supposed to be under grim batol, the tower is just a really odd teleporter to it.

Niche pick, but as many of the other picks I like have been mentioned already, I'd have absolutely loved if we got the Temple in the Sky arakkoa raid that was teased in Draenor archaelogy. The Arakkoa's aesthetic is beyond gorgeous, especially the High Arakkoa from WoD and it never got the mileage it deserved. The teases in Chronicle regarding their history only made it more so.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.