Thread: [TV] Ted Lasso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Last nights was a really strong episode.

although i didnt like it at first, i wish they would have given the Nate storyline a bit more time. Maybe they did in the acting rather than dialogue and i missed it but it felt like this could have been a season long storyline. if i watch it again in a couple of years or something ill look out for it

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Last nights was a really strong episode.

although i didnt like it at first, i wish they would have given the Nate storyline a bit more time. Maybe they did in the acting rather than dialogue and i missed it but it felt like this could have been a season long storyline. if i watch it again in a couple of years or something ill look out for it
    Nate's "storyline" (as you put it - I'm guessing you are referring to underdog becoming asshole ? ) /has/ been there the whole season (possibly part of last season I can't remember when they had the 'new towel guy' there but it started then) but its not a 'obvious and direct' storyline.

(ok I try to be as NON spoilery in specifics below but I have to allude to some of the character we're talking about so if you really don't want to know anything at all about it just skip the rest of the paragraphs here lol. But NOTHING SPECIFIC about events in the show is below.)

Nate's been having these negative comments/interactions only with certain other characters in the show, and not with others - but it has been more subtle - one or two comments/lines an episode - and then its never addressed/commented on further. We've been watching this personality trait of Nate's come out only with people 'under' him and in other snippets of interaction here and there - but you are right - its not really a 'main focus' plot. Its more watching a subtle personality shift come into play as a character develops, as a negative side effect of how his character has developed - and I've been really curious as to where 'this was going' and when it was going to come into the fore-front (clearly- now!).

For me - I've been more frustratedly waiting for anyone in the show to address this growing personality flaw in Nate. I expected the writers weren't just making these one-off lines for no point, but waiting a whole season (or more) to find out "ok when is someone going to say/notice something with Nate?" AHhh there it is.

But yea - the personality 'trait' for Nate that came to a head with this last episode has been something brewing in the background of the 'main character interactions'. Last night's episode was the first time they really 'brought it to the forefront' and directly shone a light on what he was actually thinking/doing. Prior to this episode, we've had his dialogue with certain underlings in the background but they never gave it any explanation or deeper context. Really curious to see where they go with this - because the subtle shift in his character - this 'one side of personality is XYZ but this other side is ABC' - could be something that ends up being brilliant with how they've written and executed it; or could be a dead-end.

And if that's not what you meant - nevermind .
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-10-05 at 07:06 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Nate's "storyline" (as you put it - I'm guessing you are referring to underdog becoming asshole ? ) /has/ been there the whole season (possibly part of last season I can't remember when they had the 'new towel guy' there but it started then) but its not a 'obvious and direct' storyline.

(ok I try to be as NON spoilery in specifics below but I have to allude to some of the character we're talking about so if you really don't want to know anything at all about it just skip the rest of the paragraphs here lol. But NOTHING SPECIFIC about events in the show is below.)

Nate's been having these negative comments/interactions only with certain other characters in the show, and not with others - but it has been more subtle - one or two comments/lines an episode - and then its never addressed/commented on further. We've been watching this personality trait of Nate's come out only with people 'under' him and in other snippets of interaction here and there - but you are right - its not really a 'main focus' plot. Its more watching a subtle personality shift come into play as a character develops, as a negative side effect of how his character has developed - and I've been really curious as to where 'this was going' and when it was going to come into the fore-front (clearly- now!).

For me - I've been more frustratedly waiting for anyone in the show to address this growing personality flaw in Nate. I expected the writers weren't just making these one-off lines for no point, but waiting a whole season (or more) to find out "ok when is someone going to say/notice something with Nate?" AHhh there it is.

But yea - the personality 'trait' for Nate that came to a head with this last episode has been something brewing in the background of the 'main character interactions'. Last night's episode was the first time they really 'brought it to the forefront' and directly shone a light on what he was actually thinking/doing. Prior to this episode, we've had his dialogue with certain underlings in the background but they never gave it any explanation or deeper context. Really curious to see where they go with this - because the subtle shift in his character - this 'one side of personality is XYZ but this other side is ABC' - could be something that ends up being brilliant with how they've written and executed it; or could be a dead-end.

And if that's not what you meant - nevermind .
    It was exactly that, I must just not have been paying enough attention. The first time I noticed it was the 'wunderkind' episode and didn't like it at first but then was disappointed when nothing came about in the next episode.

I'll just have to watch harder in future!

ok season finale, i thought nates reasoning was a bit weak.

i also thought Jamie should have exploded at the end or something, his arc is complete now lol

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok season finale, i thought nates reasoning was a bit weak.

i also thought Jamie should have exploded at the end or something, his arc is complete now lol
    Just putting behind spoiler tags because, as someone who usually finishes shows behind everyone else, I appreciate it:

Nates reasoning is the reasoning of someone with a personality disorder. I'm being very serious. Now, I could say its 'weak writing' but as the show doesn't have a ton of that - i'm not going to blame writers for saying they copped out to a 'evil villian' logic all of the sudden. But it IS the way people with mental health issues on the level of a personality disorder - skew and twist what actually happens into a narrative that victimizes them. Taking the same behaviors other people see as helpful or beneficial or supportive and twisting them into something that 'makes you (nate) feel bad' or 'makes you (nate) feel put upon' when NOTHING in the reality was that way, at all. I can only say "from a professional in this field" - they actually hit that 'logic' spot on. Because its not real logic, its twisted logic - its mentally ill logic. It only works in the bias/twisted way the person (nate) has to over-describe and defend it - because most other (normal) people would never perceive it that way.

For example: How he twisted the reality that "Nate's 9 stack" (whatever the play was called, don't remember now) play actually won the game. Instead of seeing that reality, he twists it around to further support his belief in his being 'kept back' and not being given 'fair credit' - when the play was named after him, and won the game. But no, per Nate - that play was only named after him, on purpose, by Ted, in order to 'blame and embarass him (nate) when it didn't work." But it did work. Instead of Nate seeing how he had misinterpreted Ted all along, somehow the team winning with his play was STILL evidence of how he was being persecuted - and thus at the end he's working for the definitive Narcissistic Personality Disorder of the show - the ex-husband.

Its crappy reasoning alright. Because Nate is mentally ill. And that entire diatribe was FINALLY the last bit of logic to see "oh. THAT's Nate's problem." He's not just some nice guy who didn't know people were still supporting him because he's not use to that - he's someone with a personality disorder who truly believes he's been persecuted and held back no matter how much Ted and those around him tried to build him up and help him shine.

And yea, Jamie has grown. That was nice to see! So glad for a show to actually have characters grow - both improving as well as de-volving because of their own issues. Remains to be seen if Jamie stays in his growth - backslides due to /reasons of plot/ etc. or what.

Lead Actor/Head of show said this was always a show sold as a 3 season arc for the complete story. But has (of course) said he's open to continuing the show past three seasons if that's what people/Apple+ wants from him. But technically this entire story was meant for a 3 season arc and be done. So whatever's happening next season we know this is part of that whole, entire, story buildup from first season for ALL these characters. I'm really curious to see how this story 'completes' its tale and where everyone will end up finally. And as much as I enjoy the show - I also get that it may not need to add on seasons if the story was never there to be developed as that could wind up really ruining it if they go in without a solid plan. But we shall see!
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

im not really enjoying this series, the ibrahimovich character and how they treat him is cringeworthy, ill watch it through but it might be a good thing that this i the last season

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    im not really enjoying this series, the ibrahimovich character and how they treat him is cringeworthy, ill watch it through but it might be a good thing that this i the last season
    To me, I see it more as making fun of the absolutely, insane, level of "star power" an athlete (or any celebrity) can have in the real world. As 'over the top' as the "new star" acts and how people receive him - It isn't that different then how real people sometimes act/treat real celebrities and athletes. Treating them like gods and believing that everything they say and do is "brilliant" - just because they can throw a ball, or (in the case of actors), can pretend real well.

And the actor/athlete being treated this way - falling into the same trap - because this is how they are being treated. Like nothing they can say or do is wrong, because of their talent or hard work. "Oh, well if everyone is saying it - I must be that brilliant/gifted/better than everyone."

I wish the portrayal seemed more "absurdist" to me, as this is a comedy. But really I see it more as shining a direct light (as we should) on this ridiculous trait of humans - on both ends of the issue. And how stupid it really is.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2023-04-05 at 06:13 PM.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    To me, I see it more as making fun of the absolutely, insane, level of "star power" an athlete (or any celebrity) can have in the real world. As 'over the top' as the "new star" acts and how people receive him - It isn't that different then how real people sometimes act/treat real celebrities and athletes. Treating them like gods and believing that everything they say and do is "brilliant" - just because they can throw a ball, or (in the case of actors), can pretend real well.

And the actor/athlete being treated this way - falling into the same trap - because this is how they are being treated. Like nothing they can say or do is wrong, because of their talent or hard work. "Oh, well if everyone is saying it - I must be that brilliant/gifted/better than everyone."

I wish the portrayal seemed more "absurdist" to me, as this is a comedy. But really I see it more as shining a direct light (as we should) on this ridiculous trait of humans - on both ends of the issue. And how stupid it really is.
    I get that, I just don't find it funny, the only one I've found funny during these parts of the show is danny Rojas. I've no idea why he's different though.

I think the three R's of comedy aren't clicking for me here

10+ Year Old Account
    They created a great first season, but they made so many stupid decisions with the plotlines from season 2 onwards that the show is going nowhere.

7+ Year Old Account
    Loved season 1. Started watching season 2, never finished.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    They created a great first season, but they made so many stupid decisions with the plotlines from season 2 onwards that the show is going nowhere.
    Well this is the last season - as it was always intended to be a 3 season story-show. So at least the 'nowhere' they are going was always going to end this season. =D
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

Agreed. I 100% don't care about Zava. I have never thought that he would actually be instrumental in the final showdown because it'd be weird to bring in a guy in season 3 who becomes the focal point. Seems like he's gonna finally disappear for some reason and we'll get Jamie Tartt stepping up in the end.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Agreed. I 100% don't care about Zava. I have never thought that he would actually be instrumental in the final showdown because it'd be weird to bring in a guy in season 3 who becomes the focal point. Seems like he's gonna finally disappear for some reason and we'll get Jamie Tartt stepping up in the end.
    Haven't watched this week's episode - so unless something 'blew up' there in the plot -

I FULLY expect Zava to have some sort of season-ending-injury during some important game that then puts the reliance back on the rest of the team to 'get better' instead of riding on the talents of a single player (the way it was played up in his first/second appearing episode). As you said - to give Tartt's story development (and the other players) more focus on their own importance. It would be a really ODD story choice for the entire 3rd season to just be about how Zava is talented enough to save the team on his own and no one else matters anymore (the way the script made it look in his first big episode). He'll either get injured and they'll be forced to recognize 'its not just him that can save us' or he'll break contract or well, something, to help the team to recognize its own abilities/power/good feels. Maybe Zava might even have some growth, but that would just be a bonus and I'm not expecting that.

But the 'satire' or commentary they put in the show because of the existance of "Zava" as a character, amuses me rather than annoys. But again, possibly because I am so 'ugg' of this phenom in real life, I find it more funny and amusing that they play up this character-concept on the show. Rather than finding it annoying as clearly others do (and I also get why he's annoying.)

I'm more curious to see how they are going to 'end' the plotline of the "budding narcissist" character, we saw emerge as the 'twist' at the end of 2nd season. I thought it was a brilliant (and scarily accurate) portrayal of a hidden narcissist evolving through the 2nd season into the 'twist betrayal' character at the end and so I've been very curious to see how they choose to resolve that storyline. Whether they'll stick with "real life how these people are/act" (as they did 2nd season) or if they'll give them the "he realized he was being an ass and saw the error of his ways" happy ending instead. (sorry I SUCK at remembering names so I am blanking on the name of the character I'm talking about lol).
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

I think the last two episodes have really picked up in quality.

I like the episodes where they step away from running a football club each season

Too bad it's over now!

It's easily one of the best shows I've seen. I love upbeat series like this. I think it shares its positive energy with Young Sheldon and the like.
    Anyone else found the middle of the show a bit too psychological and whiny?