Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Daily server downtime and rollbacks

How do yall feel about the literal daily downtime and rollbacks thats happening in the mornings US time. And the zero feedback or response from blizzard about the problem.

Playing only offline and modding the game, so doesn't really affect me XD
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    How do yall feel about the literal daily downtime and rollbacks thats happening in the mornings US time. And the zero feedback or response from blizzard about the problem.
    I stopped playing and won't come back until it is actually fixed.

I didn't know this was still happening. I lost the one character I leveled on Monday I believe but then they fixed that issue. Guess other stuff is still happening...

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they are responding to it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

My Barb hasn't been rolled back yet although I'd hate for that to happen after I finally get something big like an IK piece

And Blizzard is responding all the time, they do so via Twitter or Bnet launcher pop-up messages... just this morning they said they were monitoring high-activity times and that whatever they're doing could result in DCs or failed logins

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I mean they are responding to it.
    Every day they say they are aware and investigating then 1-2 hours later its fixed. No response or statement on why every single day shit goes down or why rollbacks happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never lost any progress whatsoever on my road to 97, playing entirely online. So I feel pretty good I guess.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well it was pretty annoying trying to play it tuesday morning and not being able to. I dont know if this is vicarious vision or blizzard's shitty servers, but it could have used another month or 2 of dev time

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well it was pretty annoying trying to play it tuesday morning and not being able to. I dont know if this is vicarious vision or blizzard's shitty servers, but it could have used another month or 2 of dev time
    VV remastered the game. Its blizzards servers.

They explained the issues today

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2...-forward/28164

It's a complex problem.

TLDR, their system for allowing you to basically be "region free" isn't playing nice with some older code. But they're breaking up systems into smaller chunks to allow faster processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    They explained the issues today

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2...-forward/28164

It's a complex problem.

TLDR, their system for allowing you to basically be "region free" isn't playing nice with some older code. But they're breaking up systems into smaller chunks to allow faster processing.
    well thats the first they have shared though the fact that a few thousand characters on one region at launch is enough to bring the game to its knees is a bit of a headscratcher. Means they allocated next to no server space for arguably one of the most popular games on the 21st century remaster.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I know, but I just dont know if its bad coding from vv or shitty servers from blizzard or both at the same time causing all the downtime

well thats the first they have shared though the fact that a few thousand characters on one region at launch is enough to bring the game to its knees is a bit of a headscratcher. Means they allocated next to no server space for arguably one of the most popular games on the 21st century remaster.
    Few thousand ???

Try hundreds of thousands because people love farming bosses and each time they create and destroy a session it was creating massive load on the global server, so no it wasn't a few thousand it was more massive than that. Simply put the code built for handling the sessions was never designed for the scale of load it was designed for, its still the old 2001 code they are using here. So now they need to go in and separate out that old code and bring it up to a standard for handling the farming behaviour of people in 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well I know, but I just dont know if its bad coding from vv or shitty servers from blizzard or both at the same time causing all the downtime
    Its the reuse of old 2001 code for handling play sessions, its explained that it was never designed for the stupid boss farming playstyle of current players who create and destroy thousands of sessions per minute searching for that one perfect McGuffin.

Cant blame VV here or Blizzard really, they had no way of knowing that the old code was not up to the task, now they need to go in and separate the code so they can patch it.

not an easy task since it requires a huge amount of testing.

Edit - VV had no way of knowing as they never coded the game to begin with and were having to work with antiquated 2001 code. Blizzard might have known if there were still coders on staff that built the engine but I doubt any of the original coding staff still work there so it was a gamble to even use the code and here it failed badly.
    Last edited by Addiena; 2021-10-15 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    Few thousand ???

Try hundreds of thousands because people love farming bosses and each time they create and destroy a session it was creating massive load on the global server, so no it wasn't a few thousand it was more massive than that. Simply put the code built for handling the sessions was never designed for the scale of load it was designed for, its still the old 2001 code they are using here. So now they need to go in and separate out that old code and bring it up to a standard for handling the farming behaviour of people in 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

Its the reuse of old 2001 code for handling play sessions, its explained that it was never designed for the stupid boss farming playstyle of current players who create and destroy thousands of sessions per minute searching for that one perfect McGuffin.
    People dont farm different today than they did before d2r. Its not a mystery how long games took or were run. Im sure they more than had the resources to host a million players per a region and couldof scaled back instead of up to avoid this.

Ahhh I'm so glad I didn't pay for this shit.

Happily enjoying my non-bastardized D2 experience

New Blizzard couldn't organise a root in a brothel

Who is VV?, and how incompetent and lazy has Blizzard become that they cant even remaster there own 20 year old game...

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Who is VV?, and how incompetent and lazy has Blizzard become that they cant even remaster there own 20 year old game...
    https://www.vvisions.com/

well since they fucked up warcraft 3 remaster vv has done a much better job than id trust blizzard to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Re-using Spaghetti Code
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

https://www.vvisions.com/

well since they fucked up warcraft 3 remaster vv has done a much better job than id trust blizzard to do.
    good point,... I was going to say something else but you summed it up perfectly.