Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Question Like, what i$ the deal with india n hollywood movies?

Dune will soon come out in important (large) markets such as china, usa, uk etc

China is the world's largest cinema market cuz of their large "middle class" n they bring in the dough

But india got a gazillion people too! While it has large poverty, there's a huyge "middle class" there too n stuff

Don't they like hollywood movies? I know about bollywood but is it sooo large that it sqiushes out hollywood moouvies? What do/did they feel about the mcu

My brother was once visiting india, he complained about all the poor people not watching critical movies that about their situations, rather they prefer uncritical happy gay (old meaning of the word, like super happy care-free) singing n dancing movies

2021 hollywood seems to be the complete opposite, n might have a hard time getting the foot in??

Numbers is only part of the equation.

China has massive purchasing power, and the target audiences for Western movies in particular have a lot more disposable income than comparable demographics in India. So it's not that the Indian market isn't interesting, it's that it has less money than the Chinese market, and so it's a lower priority.

In addition, factors like the strong Bollywood film culture do work against competitor forms of entertainment, as they already have a strong hold on the market - and with only so much money to go around, it's even harder to convince people to watch something else (and by watch I of course mean spend money to watch).

It's not like MCU movies and such aren't available there; but with a market already dominated by competitors and with less money on the horizon, it's no surprise that the marketing departments of MCU & Co. focus on somewhere else instead.

That being said, none of this is immutable or eternal. Change can and probably will happen, over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    My brother was once visiting india, he complained about all the poor people not watching critical movies that about their situations, rather they prefer uncritical happy gay (old meaning of the word, like super happy care-free) singing n dancing movies
    Yeah, it is almost like people like use entertainment as a means to escape from the misery of their everyday lives for a brief time. When you have enough depressing shit happening IRL, there really isn't likely to be much motivation to seek out more depressing shit in your leisure activities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

You ask this because you don't have much experience with India.

India does get the movies, they just do it differently.

They refilm our movies with Indian actors and watch that.

My friend once showed me their version of Star wars. It was the same but natives were playing all the roles, they even used the same spaceship battle footage. Guess they are like China and they don't respect intellectual property.

5+ Year Old Account
    Are bollywood ticket prices same prices as hollywood ones over there?

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yeah, it is almost like people like use entertainment as a means to escape from the misery of their everyday lives for a brief time. When you have enough depressing shit happening IRL, there really isn't likely to be much motivation to seek out more depressing shit in your leisure activities.
    depends, sometimes u want to promote stuff to do something about situations, like hollywood did (somewhat) segregation america..(maybe they didn't do much but some at least)
    Only singinging about clear skies seems a bit much too n stuff..
    I'd imagine there's lots of frustrated indians..

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post

My friend once showed me their version of Star wars. It was the same but natives were playing all the roles, they even used the same spaceship battle footage. Guess they are like China and they don't respect intellectual property.
    Let me tell you the story of;

5+ Year Old Account
    'tis be true

what????????????

It may be wrong, but i'd love to see that

Hell, it'll prob be better than last star wars trilogy
    I'd take that bet! Can't wait to see their version of luke, solo n chewie!!!

Wait......... does this mean there's a giddy bollywood Thanos singing n dancing snapping his fingers n half the universe away??
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-15 at 11:56 AM.

Bollywood is larger than Hollywood. Indians love movies. They just already have their own burgeoning film industry.

As of 2011, the national film industries with the highest annual ticket sales worldwide were Indian cinema with 3.5 billion tickets sold, followed by Hollywood with 2.6 billion tickets sold.
    I'm an Indian immigrant, and I've never experienced the "ripping off Western movies with Indian actors" thing, at least not in cinemas. If it exists, I imagine it exists in a parody market like bootlegs, etc. If the above poster wants to show where these movies were released in cinema in India, I'd gladly revise that statement. But as for the "grimdark" comparison - there exists (smaller, indie) films about social situations in India. Like the West, the masses prefer bright eye candy that allows them to escape for a bit. And between all the singing in Bollywood, you'll find social issues cropping up all the time. My belief is the arranged marriage in India died because of Bollywood and all their movies about forbidden, non-arranged love.

Not everyone likes superhero movies, some people think that they are boring, predictable and forgettable where the only difference is the color of the uniform.

Why don't you like bollywood movies?

Would you rather watch critical movies about the situations going on in your country (whichever one it is), or would you rather watch uncritically happy movies?

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Bollywood is larger than Hollywood. Indians love movies. They just already have their own burgeoning film industry.

I'm an Indian immigrant, and I've never experienced the "ripping off Western movies with Indian actors" thing, at least not in cinemas. If it exists, I imagine it exists in a parody market like bootlegs, etc. If the above poster wants to show where these movies were released in cinema in India, I'd gladly revise that statement. But as for the "grimdark" comparison - there exists (smaller, indie) films about social situations in India. Like the West, the masses prefer bright eye candy that allows them to escape for a bit. And between all the singing in Bollywood, you'll find social issues cropping up all the time. My belief is the arranged marriage in India died because of Bollywood and all their movies about forbidden, non-arranged love.
    Glad someone mentioned bollywood. They have even made leaps and bounds in the cgi department and get some pretty big Blockbusters made no one in the West has even heard of
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Glad someone mentioned bollywood. They have even made leaps and bounds in the cgi department and get some pretty big Blockbusters made no one in the West has even heard of
    i remember seeing some of those movies in facebook, man, they are funny, it make no sense to me, some parts were very cringe, but the cgi and fights were rly good.

i guess there was one part where the army throw like, 5 peoples with shields from catapult and they went flying across the gate and all landed safely because a shield maneuver

They got their own thing going on there and they still get Hollywood movies there too.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i remember seeing some of those movies in facebook, man, they are funny, it make no sense to me, some parts were very cringe, but the cgi and fights were rly good.

i guess there was one part where the army throw like, 5 peoples with shields from catapult and they went flying across the gate and all landed safely because a shield maneuver
    Yeah its crack up seeing clips. When a dude kicks down his evil uncles army then breaks out into song and dance.

But hey its not like hollywood doesnt have their tropes that are just as ridiculous. like if I lived in india and saw clips of the Rock in jungle cruise swinging around like a cartoon character i dont see how its any different
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2021-10-15 at 07:02 PM.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

I mean, movies that aren't just musicals get made in India all the time? like, they have about as robust a national market for movies as any other developed country.

Maybe if Hollywood started making some mainstream Bollywood movies

15+ Year Old Account
    Bollywood wedding musicals are fire. Screw hollywood garbage
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-10-15 at 07:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah its crack up seeing clips. When a dude kicks down his evil uncles army then breaks out into song and dance.

But hey its not like hollywood doesnt have their tropes that are just as ridiculous. like if I lived in india and saw clips of the Rock in jungle cruise swinging around like a cartoon character i dont see how its any different
    indeed, the cultural shock is gigantic, but, i do in fact thing those movies were entertaining, there was no subtitles, so i understood shit, but the action and CGI made me keep watching.

The whole scenario was well made, weapons, armor, the place they fight, architecture, so they put a huge effort on it, i appreciate that as well

I have 2 main guesses;
    Might not be cost effective for Indian theaters to purchase the showing rights to new "Hollywood" movies.

Second one sort of ties with the first, India is not China, Bollywood movies are fairly original and I doubt there are government thought police restrictions being placed on them. Foreign movies are a tough sell in all markets (except China because of thought police). And if homegrown movies with homegrown stars are kick ass (Bollywood movies are pretty great) then they aren't going to have a real desire to see foreign movies. Further feeding the cost issue above.

it probably doesn't help that Hollywood is still much more likely to use stereotypes of foreigners to try to get a laugh from their home market at the expense of interest in the foreign market. while modern movies don't tend to be quite as ignorant or racist as older ones, it can still be quite alienating to some of the potential markets.
    also I'd imagine the average movie fan in India is less interested in watching movies mostly featuring white christian characters than they would be something with characters and cultures they can relate to

10+ Year Old Account

You mean how in the West especially in the US, we adapt Eastern movies without much of the audience realizing there are looking at a remake?

How many obsessed over the entire Hunger Games saga and never seen Battle Royale?

Its the nature of international film making. Hell storytelling as stories have always been adapted to fit local cultures.

To the topic
    Why would India emphasize Hollywood when they have their own film industry? Are you watching all the Bollywood hits?

I bet Koreans are like "why the hell don't they watch our stuff in the US? Why do they only latch onto stuff like Parasite?"
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-10-16 at 05:57 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive