Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    There's no way life is unique to Earth.

If only James Randi had demanded evidence of that.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Since we are talking about observing different boxes.

The obligatory I didn't see mentioned:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

The hilarious:
    Sean Lock's Carrot in a Box

James Randi offered a million dollars to anyone who could prove supernatural powers. Nobody claimed it. .
    Because the genuine article would neither need or want it. (Think about it)

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If only James Randi had demanded evidence of that.
    The existence of a prize from someone like James Randi being claimed or not claimed does not have any bearing on if something is true or not.
    There are several Flat Earthers who offer cash prizes for anyone who can prove the Earth is round, none have paid out. So, does that mean the Earth is flat?
    So, all the fact that Randi's prize being claimed is no one met the criteria to claim it, not the truth of anything involved.

I absolutely HATE it when people bring up James Randi as evidence against things like psychics or supernatural powers, it is extremely weak evidence at best. Note, I don't believe in that stuff, but the fact no one has claimed a prize means pretty much nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

James Randi offered a million dollars to anyone who could prove supernatural powers. Nobody claimed it.

There's no way life is unique to Earth.
    Same as above.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    But there is never nothing inside the box....
    And now you're being pedantic, if you're defining "nothing" as the absence of every single little thing, including atoms and wavelengths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life outside our planet? I'd say it's likely. And by life, I mean micro-organisms, at the very least. Evidence suggests Mars used to have liquid water on the surface, and that's our neighbor. Who knows what, if anything, was cooking up in there. Gonna go with a no with grey aliens probing our butts in their spinning saucers.

Time travel? Not like we see in the movies.

Psychics is a big, fat NO.

Other universes? All I know is my gut says maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And now you're being pedantic, if you're defining "nothing" as the absence of every single little thing, including atoms and wavelengths.
    just showing how silly your argument was...but just because you cant see anything, doesn't mean something is not there. isn't that how this whole thread got started?

just showing how silly your argument was...but just because you cant see anything, doesn't mean something is not there. isn't that how this whole thread got started?
    It's not silly. By showing there is nothing in the box, you prove the "negative claim".

I'll direct you to my most recent reply.
    Your post did not say anything other than you failed to actually look into it

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Your post did not say anything other than you failed to actually look into it
    I didn't "fail" to look at anything.

"Mathematically possible" does not mean "factually real".

James Randi offered a million dollars to anyone who could prove supernatural powers. Nobody claimed it.
    All this proves is that there is nobody dumb enough to potentially advertise to the world that they have supernatural powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    All this proves is that there is nobody dumb enough to potentially advertise to the world that they have supernatural powers.
    No, no.

They tried.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc&t=216s

He debunked tons of claims. Letting people use dousing rods to find rocks hidden on a stage, and failing. Used a police scanner to prove a faith healer was being fed information about the randomly selected audience members. Etc.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-10-15 at 10:12 PM.

That goes in direct contradiction with how those with """supernatural powers""" love to make shows and advertise themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not silly. By showing there is nothing in the box, you prove the "negative claim".
    what's silly is your reasoning. and it appears there is nothing I can do to help you. have a nice day! your tape is stuck in a loop

what's silly is your reasoning. and it appears there is nothing I can do to help you. have a nice day! your tape is stuck in a loop
    I suppose I can't stop you from double-downing on falsehoods. It's your right to be willingly wrong, though.

See how it silly your response was?

7+ Year Old Account
    No, no.

They tried.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc&t=216s

He debunked tons of claims. Letting people use dousing rods to find rocks hidden on a stage, and failing. Used a police scanner to prove a faith healer was being fed information about the randomly selected audience members. Etc.
    It doesn't matter how many people failed to win the prize or try for it.

It is weak evidence at best. All it means no one could win the prize, not they don't exist.

Of course I don't believe they exist, but that isn't because no one won Randi's prize.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Not really but I can suspend my disbelief for the sake of fun when, for example, visiting a fortune teller or tarot card reader. Or watching one of those trashy UFO shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It doesn't matter how many people failed to win the prize or try for it.

It is weak evidence at best. All it means no one could win the prize, not they don't exist.

Of course I don't believe they exist, but that isn't because no one won Randi's prize.
    The point is that in order for something like that to exist, it would have to be proven. It had the burden of proof.

Randi provided a very public, honest method for those who wished to prove it. And an incredible incentive to do so. And many did try. The fact that those failed is evidence against its existence, because it adds a complication to the already burdened: Not only must psychic powers exist, but no psychics, mediums, dousers, telekineticists, telepaths, (etc) at the same time could *and* would have bothered to prove it on a national stage when provided the riskless opportunity and significant incentive. If supernatural powers did exist, and as many people have them as are claimed, you'd think *one* of those people would have tried and succeeded.

Unless you add in the possibility that James Randi had supernatural powers, lol.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-10-15 at 11:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The point is that in order for something like that to exist, it would have to be proven. It had the burden of proof.

Randi provided a very public, honest method for those who wished to prove it. And an incredible incentive to do so. And many did try. The fact that those failed is evidence against its existence, because it adds a complication to the already burdened: Not only must psychic powers exist, but no psychics, mediums, dousers, telekineticists, telepaths, (etc) at the same time could *and* would have bothered to prove it on a national stage when provided the riskless opportunity and significant incentive.
    Yes the burden is to prove it exist is on the people who claim they exist.

That said the Randi's prize is not collected is not really relevant under any circumstances.

There are several Flat Earthers who offer prizes to "prove the Earth is round" people have attempted to collect and have been denied ... even by courts.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-10-16 at 12:26 AM.
    –The Sith Code

Finally! Somebody understands the really fucked up problem with that kind of publicity.
    No, no. They tried.
    No. Only the phonies tried. The real deal doesn't want the publicity.

Reminded of an old show whete the guy would walk in to his stockbroker's office and tell him to sell a particular stock...right...now. *ka-ching* 6 figures in his account. He just...knew. And he'd feed his acount every few weeks.