Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Lol I can relate to this so much. I'm level 42 now and starting to feel burnout... I think this game is all kinds of fun, but I think it lacks a lot in order to make it a true contender, but it's well within the scope of possibility imho
    Imagine the people that no-life'd it.

But let's be real, walking everywhere sucks. Wanna know a secret? At one point in development, it was bandied about movement speed would be tied to weight. I told the devs at Relentless that was a terrible idea.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-10-15 at 11:03 PM.

Finally got to level 30.

So I decided to travel to a zone that is for level 26-35 characters, and pick up some quests in town and see if I can't continue leveling.

I get my first 2 quests, and they are 2.2k away all the way on the other side of the zone and no fast travel available.

Fuck it, uninstalled, I'm done.

I'm not spending 3-4 hours at a time in a game, just to have 80% of that time spent walking from place to place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    Finally got to level 30.

So I decided to travel to a zone that is for level 26-35 characters, and pick up some quests in town and see if I can't continue leveling.

I get my first 2 quests, and they are 2.2k away all the way on the other side of the zone and no fast travel available.

Fuck it, uninstalled, I'm done.

I'm not spending 3-4 hours at a time in a game, just to have 80% of that time spent walking from place to place.
    Half-assed thought I had about this game.

I've seen people on /r/newworldgame post stuff like, "I'm an adult with a full time job. I don't have time to play other MMOs, that why I love New World."

Never understood that take because statically most MMORPG players are in their late 20s to late 40s with jobs, anyway. Why play a game that disrespects your time with long ass travel times and monotonous tasks, then? Especially when there's other options on the market? If my free time is limited I'm not spending it in a walking simulator.

There's a lot of reasons why people champion the game, I just think the 'because I have no time' one is weak.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I understand you dislike the game, but how many times do we have to read you shitting on it
    Honestly, every post you've made is to discourage people from playing

Let them decide by themselves already
    What are you on about. Have you read this website? It is a collection of hate posts shitting on something. You can choose not to read any of his posts but instead you choose to engage. It's like you want the hate boners to continue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Uh, this patch sucks. They broke my sweet, sweet farming spots.

Edit: 100 gold for one stick of Cinnamon? FUCK YOU
    It's actually coin. Gold is ore that you mine,.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No it isn't and people need to stop making this comparison, Runescape actually has a full fledged endgame (and tons of it).

(example of one small part of that endgame)

New World and Runescape isn't even close to being like each other. Just because you can cut a tree doesn't make NW like Runescape.

New World lacks content (not just endgame content) and that is due to the fact it was originally made to be a PVP focused MMO.
    I played RuneScape from 2002 to 2016 and it is very similar to RuneScape's early days. There was a time you did not have any bosses and greater demons were the highest level monster in the game and you only had rune armor. Level 40 gear made with 85 mining and 99 smithing. Bossing didn't exist until the KBD was added to the game and then you had more stuff like the KQ added.

NW feels like those early days of RS but in a polished 2021 box. In time they will add stuff, and I am actually hoping for world bosses similar to what RS has that drops crafting materials + a rare item like a dragon med. I am also hoping company vs company encapsulates the great wars I fought on RuneScape someday while I was a part of 'the' alliance and led my own clan.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't able to play much this week but spent a few hours playing this evening again finally, and I have a few questions:

- I just got to standing 10 in Windsward, should I buy my first house (tier 1 obviously) or wait? As far as I can tell the only major perks of tier 2 to 4 are the reduced fast travel cooldown... and its gonna take me a while to get to standing 15, 20 or 30...

- I joined Syndicate early on, but have hardly done any faction quests for them. What does changing faction entail? I'm considering swapping to Covenant. Found the info about this.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-10-16 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Wasn't able to play much this week but spent a few hours playing this evening again finally, and I have a few questions:

- I just got to standing 10 in Windsward, should I buy my first house (tier 1 obviously) or wait? As far as I can tell the only major perks of tier 2 to 4 are the reduced fast travel cooldown... and its gonna take me a while to get to standing 15, 20 or 30...

- I joined Syndicate early on, but have hardly done any faction quests for them. What does changing faction entail? I'm considering swapping to Covenant. Found the info about this.
    Bonuses from having a house

1. extra storage space
    2. extra fast travel point
    3. bonuses from trophies in the house

I have yet to buy a house currenly with 200 hours played time, the first house you buy have 50% discount so you can wait until you get a better house with a shorter fast travel cd, there is also a weekly charge for owning a house.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    It's actually coin. Gold is ore that you mine,.
    Gold coins. They are yellow. There is nothing wrong shortening it to gold like is standard in pretty much any game that has yellow coins as currency.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Don't buy a house in a town you are not 100% sure you're gonna be working out of for a long time. The discount you get is only for the first house, regardless of the cost or location of the house. Houses scale with bonuses and money.

A shack in a starter town is nothing for the most part. Housing bonuses are global too.

Also it's not hard to get to 20 rep in a territory. It's pretty fast and gets faster as you level and can just drop thousands of materials into town missions and solo rifts/dungeons and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I read correctly that after all this time the game didn't actually have a transfer system. That's not a new MMORPG only having so much content at release problem, thats a fundamental design error. Enough MMORPGs have come out by now to know transfers should be a standard feature. It's how you sustain the game as it goes through its very stages of life and a feature enough players expect (and willing to pay damn near half the price of the game to use...frequently).

They should have had a sub team working on just that feature and how to meld it with core gameplay.

Its like cooking a nice dinner then forgetting you needed plates and silverware after the food was done. AGS is stuck with the turkey still in the over because they have nowhere to put it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It's how you sustain the game as it goes through its very stages of life and a feature enough players expect (and willing to pay damn near half the price of the game to use...frequently).
    Expecting the entire stages of life to happen with in the first few weeks is amusing. They are working on adding it and have already started adding the framework for the system to the store. Relax. You don't need server transfers day 1 in order to have a healthy game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It's worth buying one asap in my opinion.

It's not just a fast travel, it's a fast travel you can use from anywhere (unlike normal fast travel)

AND when it's on cooldown you can spend some azoth to reset its cooldown.

So you can essentially fast travel back to it from where ever and when ever, which is HUGE.

Makes travelling much less of a headache.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Expecting the entire stages of life to happen with in the first few weeks is amusing. They are working on adding it and have already started adding the framework for the system to the store. Relax. You don't need server transfers day 1 in order to have a healthy game.
    But they kind of did need server transfers though. How many people had characters stuck on servers they didn't expect to have long queues? And they are needing to to start issue. People are waiting for transfers just two weeks into the game and AGS even said transfers would be available two weeks into the game. Why ship a game when your backend isn't even in working order?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Imagine the people that no-life'd it.

But let's be real, walking everywhere sucks. Wanna know a secret? At one point in development, it was bandied about movement speed would be tied to weight. I told the devs at Relentless that was a terrible idea.
    Here's the thing about this meme: Play time does not indicate how complete a game is. You can get 100 hours out of single player games at best (with a few exceptional outliers), but that's about it. In MMOs, you grind the same content to increase your wealth and your player power since it is a massive multiplayer game. Many people are willing to grind far beyond the point where it stops being fun for this very reason. Part of the appeal of MMOs is that feelign of comparing yourself to others' progress.

So I can very well see someone playing for 300/400 hours and realize "Wow this game has a whole lot of features missing that most brand new MMOs should have." Things like worthwhile time sinks at max level, or straight up end game content. NW feels like a deja vu of Rift. There's somewhat fun but very repetitive content while leveling, and almost nothing to do at end game other than continuing to grind for money and PvP. The repeatable quests for factions and townships both fall into "Kill things" "Collect things from chests" and "kill this boss guy". Hell, most NORMAL quests fall into these 3 categories.

If an MMO does not launch with compelling content to do at end game (or at least a dev post saying that said content will be releasing <4 weeks after launch to allow people to level up at their own pace) then it is an incomplete game. Period. If Amazon thought town ownership PvP would keep lots of people spread over 600 servers engaged, they didn't do their market research.

Other than PvP, there's a shallow gear treadmill involving repeatable dungeons.

But aside from a lack of compelling end game content, it just seem that most people are quitting in the level 30-50 range. Most of them cite repetitive gameplay. And it's true. There's very little variety in this game. Combat with two weapons and three skills each gets old pretty fast to the point where people are telling others to swap their weapons out to spice things up. I shouldn't have to swap weapons to keep things fun. I should want to keep playing my weapon.

But I think the most egregious offender, on top of ultra repetitive quests, is the travel times. I love games with giant sprawling worlds. I dislike having to run 20 minutes to get somewhere, only to have that NPC tell me to run all the way back. Sure, there's fast travel, but it's limited to only traveling to and from very sparse and inconvenient locations.

Was New World worth the $40? Sure. I don't have the inclination to refund the game (although with the amount it makes my video card crash, I was almost inclined to). But I'm probably going to hit 60 and then stop playing and check back in a year and see what they've done with it.

- - - Updated - - -

But they kind of did need server transfers though. How many people had characters stuck on servers they didn't expect to have long queues? And they are needing to to start issue. People are waiting for transfers just two weeks into the game and AGS even said transfers would be available two weeks into the game. Why ship a game when your backend isn't even in working order?
    This.

There are many features in MMOs these days that should be considered standard. Especially with a game like New World, server transfers should have been in at the start. I don't get why so many people are willing to give incomplete MMOs a pass just because releasing incomplete games has become standard practice in this day and age.

The one redeeming factor about New World's incompleteness is the lack of sub fee. But I do not doubt that as a buy to play game, there's going to be a $15 monthly membership thing that gives people some shop currency and other boosts.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Does anyone know if there is a set of rules that influences new character start area? I've been trying to spawn on the Windsward beach and the game refuses to let me do it. The other three? No problem. Repeatedly spawning in those areas. Windsward? Forget it. And I'm talking 30 or so spawns. Yes, I'm that bored.

Before anyone replies, yup, I know. I can run to the other beach after the first hand in. But I'm just wondering why the game seemingly never wants to spawn me in Windsward. Is it down to how many players are in the city of each area or have they turned that spawn off due to a bug?
    Last edited by Collected; 2021-10-16 at 07:58 AM.

Something that surprised me is a box fee MMO launching with practically an empty store. If your main source of revenue post launch is micro transactions, why launch with a store that has nothing attractive in it to buy? I'm sure I wasn't alone in wanting to throw some money at this game in the form of cosmetics, similar to POE. But there's nothing in the store that appeals to me.

Half-assed thought I had about this game.

I've seen people on /r/newworldgame post stuff like, "I'm an adult with a full time job. I don't have time to play other MMOs, that why I love New World."

Never understood that take because statically most MMORPG players are in their late 20s to late 40s with jobs, anyway. Why play a game that disrespects your time with long ass travel times and monotonous tasks, then? Especially when there's other options on the market? If my free time is limited I'm not spending it in a walking simulator.

There's a lot of reasons why people champion the game, I just think the 'because I have no time' one is weak.
    It's just one of the many excuses brought up to defend very questionable design choices in New World. "I don't have time to play other MMORPGs, that's why I am playing New World which lets me run around for 80% of the time, totally disregarding my own time investment."

- - - Updated - - -

Did I read correctly that after all this time the game didn't actually have a transfer system. That's not a new MMORPG only having so much content at release problem, thats a fundamental design error. Enough MMORPGs have come out by now to know transfers should be a standard feature. It's how you sustain the game as it goes through its very stages of life and a feature enough players expect (and willing to pay damn near half the price of the game to use...frequently).

They should have had a sub team working on just that feature and how to meld it with core gameplay.

Its like cooking a nice dinner then forgetting you needed plates and silverware after the food was done. AGS is stuck with the turkey still in the over because they have nowhere to put it.
    They are postponing transfers. They eventually might come, but they have postponed them already twice. The new ETA is next week, but they said that one week ago as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    If even only one of the devs had played a game like say FFXIV they would've easily known how to add fun time-sinks and evergreen content at end-game without requiring too much resources.

Some of the reviewers pointed one thing out a long time ago: most of the developers of New World are inexperienced with the genre and they are making all the mistakes all the other dead MMOs before them ever made. As soon as I heard the reviewers saying there was nothing to do at end-game a red flag instantly for me went up because this is exactly what made me (and most of the rest of the playerbase) quit them.
    This especially is very confusing when the higher ups from New World are (in)famous MMORPG developers. Scott Lane is a senior designer / developer for MMORPGs and he's basically running the project. They have other big names as well. But surprisingly all of these seasoned people never expected these issues or saw that most of their systems are not working at all? It's very confusing, honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Something that surprised me is a box fee MMO launching with practically an empty store. If your main source of revenue post launch is micro transactions, why launch with a store that has nothing attractive in it to buy? I'm sure I wasn't alone in wanting to throw some money at this game in the form of cosmetics, similar to POE. But there's nothing in the store that appeals to me.
    This has been brought up several times as well. The game wants to get funding solely via the in game shop, but the in game shop has nothing that makes you want to buy them. That's why it's so odd that they're sticking to their "no mounts yet" decision. Mounts are one of the biggest generators of cash, next to lootboxes. While I condem the latter, I think mounts in the store is the smartest move from a financial perspective. Basically like ESO does it: give your players the most basic mount models in game while the fancy ones do cost money. I hate this approach, but it clearly works.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This has been brought up several times as well. The game wants to get funding solely via the in game shop, but the in game shop has nothing that makes you want to buy them. That's why it's so odd that they're sticking to their "no mounts yet" decision. Mounts are one of the biggest generators of cash, next to lootboxes. While I condem the latter, I think mounts in the store is the smartest move from a financial perspective. Basically like ESO does it: give your players the most basic mount models in game while the fancy ones do cost money. I hate this approach, but it clearly works.
    Unfortunately, in a PVP centric game such as NW, any speed increase would give a huge advantage to whoever has it. And mounts would be a speed increase that if purchasable in the shop would be a pay to win feature in any PVP battles.

Although I do confess to not knowing how PVP works in NW so such a speed boost may be irrelevant?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Unfortunately, in a PVP centric game such as NW, any speed increase would give a huge advantage to whoever has it. And mounts would be a speed increase that if purchasable in the shop would be a pay to win feature in any PVP battles.

Although I do confess to not knowing how PVP works in NW so such a speed boost may be irrelevant?!?
    Mounts would be available to everyone inside the game. But you can only get ugly horses by playing the game. Fancy skins like lions, rams, stags or whatever are shop exclusive. That's how ESO makes most of its money, by putting shiny mounts in the store while the only mounts you can earn in game are boring horses. The mounts share the exact same stats or advantages, the visuals (aka "skin") is different.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Mounts would be available to everyone inside the game. But you can only get ugly horses by playing the game. Fancy skins like lions, rams, stags or whatever are shop exclusive. That's how ESO makes most of its money, by putting shiny mounts in the store while the only mounts you can earn in game are boring horses. The mounts share the exact same stats or advantages, the visuals (aka "skin") is different.
    Gotcha. I thought you meant mounts in general. If it is just skins then no biggie.