Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Beings from another plane of existence should not join the mortal factions. It's as if angels were real in our world and they would suddenly join the American army to participate in some petty squabble with another country. Why?
    You mean the plot of Legion? :P

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post

At BlizzCon 2010, it was mentioned in an offhand comment that something called a "dragonman" was based on unused concept art for a scrapped idea for a playable race. It may have been these dragonmen.

Actually, they are more likely to be based on the in-game Dragonmen than on Drakonids, since they use the playable Worgen skeleton.

"Blizzard have considered making drakonid a playable race, with Tom Chilton stating in 2009 that "We always looked at those and said, oh that would be a pretty cool player race - it would be cool to play as one of those guys. There's not a lot there as far as, where did they come from and what are they? But they are in the world and it wouldn't be completely inconceivable that a player would end up being able to play that, and we could continue to expand on the depth of that race and that sort of race."
    The concept art looks way cooler than the models, i think they were made uglier on purpose to reflect the ingame lore of being failed experiments and all.
    If they intordoced a palyable dragomen based on the original concept art you linked, or on the drakonid race itself, I'd reroll in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    You mean the plot of Legion? :P
    Lol, touché

At BlizzCon 2010, it was mentioned in an offhand comment that something called a "dragonman" was based on unused concept art for a scrapped idea for a playable race. It may have been these dragonmen.

Actually, they are more likely to be based on the in-game Dragonmen than on Drakonids, since they use the playable Worgen skeleton.

"Blizzard have considered making drakonid a playable race, with Tom Chilton stating in 2009 that "We always looked at those and said, oh that would be a pretty cool player race - it would be cool to play as one of those guys. There's not a lot there as far as, where did they come from and what are they? But they are in the world and it wouldn't be completely inconceivable that a player would end up being able to play that, and we could continue to expand on the depth of that race and that sort of race."
    The concept art looks way cooler than the models, they must have been made uglier on purpose to reflect the ingame lore of being failed experiments and all.

If they introduced playable dragomen based on the original concept art you linked, or on the drakonid race itself, I'd reroll in a heartbeat
    Last edited by SocialJusticeFuryWarrioir; 2021-10-16 at 07:59 AM.

Dragonman are cool. Wasn't aware they were considered to become playable, though I prefer that we got Goblins and Worgen back then ... they were just a better fit in the long run.

Yet, they, along with Sethrak and Naga would be a nice way to bring something scaly into WoW.

People literally obsessed with the idea of vampires vs werewolves in WoW when we literally already have that with Worgen vs Forsaken.
    Are the Forsaken models not sexy enough or something? Or is having a minor aesthetic twist on one of the most boring genres in fantasy invalidating it?

The SL races shouldn't be made playable.
    People complain about the lore, but then go around and say what are essentially the keepers of purgatory need to be playable? And skip out on stuff like angels just to make it more palatable? It's jumping the shark to the extreme, when we need to go back to simplicity and focusing on Azeroth itself.

There just really needs to be a point where we stop with the grand OTT stuff and just focus on what we already have, because both factions are missing core races for them, and one is so aesthetically screwed right now with the human overload it's morale is practically dead.

Where are Ogres? "Nobody will play them" - good, give them to the niche that want them, and have it mirror Mechagnome populations to even things out.
    Naga? Saberon? Forest Trolls? Furbolg? Dryads?
    We even have more grounded new introductions to the lore like mermaids.

Also, this obsession that the Horde needs to have the "vampire" races because it "suits them" went out the window in BFA when Dreven failed to join the Horde (Alliance quests exist too, you know), Vulpera and Nightborne joined and aesthetically clashed, and the Void Elves and Dark Iron joined the Alliance. Maybe it's just me, but San'layn would be easier to make playable as a subrace to Void Elves because they literally just need the red eye colour at this point (...and San'layn all don't have red eyes or vampires in general), but the idea of a race that exists to atone people for their sins like Venthyr seem to fit the justice and peace keeping themes of the Alliance just as well uh "oh goths go to horde" or whatever mindset drives that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    People literally obsessed with the idea of vampires vs werewolves in WoW when we literally already have that with Worgen vs Forsaken.
    Are the Forsaken models not sexy enough or something? Or is having a minor aesthetic twist on one of the most boring genres in fantasy invalidating it?

People complain about the lore, but then go around and say what are essentially the keepers of purgatory need to be playable? And skip out on stuff like angels just to make it more palatable? It's jumping the shark to the extreme, when we need to go back to simplicity and focusing on Azeroth itself.

There just really needs to be a point where we stop with the grand OTT stuff and just focus on what we already have, because both factions are missing core races for them, and one is so aesthetically screwed right now with the human overload it's morale is practically dead.

Where are Ogres? "Nobody will play them" - good, give them to the niche that want them, and have it mirror Mechagnome populations to even things out.

Also, this obsession that the Horde needs to have the "vampire" races because it "suits them" went out the window in BFA when Dreven failed to join the Horde (Alliance quests exist too, you know), Vulpera and Nightborne joined and aesthetically clashed, and the Void Elves and Dark Iron joined the Alliance. Maybe it's just me, but San'layn would be easier to make playable as a subrace to Void Elves because they literally just need the red eye colour at this point (...and San'layn all don't have red eyes or vampires in general), but the idea of a race that exists to atone people for their sins like Venthyr seem to fit the justice and peace keeping themes of the Alliance just as well uh "oh goths go to horde" or whatever mindset drives that.
    Just because you can't understand the scope of how big the trope of vampires and werewolfes is, doesn't mean it's boring. eah yeah, "oh those purgatory beings are so different yada-yada.yada". Well guess what, "Azeroth is somehow the center of everything in the cosmic order, so they come over and help out and keep their afterlife realms." Poof, problem solved.

Some of the other stuff you just mentioned like dryads, naga and whatnot is literally impossbile to implement because, hello? Ever noticed how each and every race is some type of bipedal humanoid? want to paly a forest troll? make a green one, want to play furbolg? make a pandaren.
    The only good picks you mentioned were ogres and saberon, but there's the matter of building up their backstory first with an entire seperate arc.

Wanna roleplay a nightborne vampire because you can't see past faction boundaries, -a concept which is way past its expiration date as it is already- and oh so desperately want to paly one on the allaince side for whatever reason? Cool, roleplay one. Let the real vampires join Horde like they were meant to though. At some point, maybe as soon as the next xpack, the boundaries will be nonexistent as it is.
    Last edited by SocialJusticeFuryWarrioir; 2021-10-16 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SocialJusticeFuryWarrioir View Post
    Just because you can't understand the scope of how big the trope of vampires and werewolfes is, doesn't mean it's boring. eah yeah, "oh those purgatory beings are so different yada-yada.yada". Well guess what, "Azeroth is somehow the center of everything in the cosmic order, so they come over and help out and keep their afterlife realms." Poof, problem solved.
    The lore definitely isn't a problem since it can be twisted in any way it needs to make things fit.

I sure can't wait for Warcraft to know get through their AoS, so we can include representatives of the different cosmic forces in our two factions, lol.

Some of the other stuff you just mentioned like dryads, naga and whatnot is literally impossbile to implement because, hello? Ever noticed how each and every race is some type of bipedal humanoid? want to paly a forest troll? make a green one, want to play furbolg? make a pandaren.
    The only good picks you mentioned were ogres and saberon, but there's the matter of building up their backstory first with an entire seperate arc.

Wanna roleplay a nightborne vampire because you can't see past faction boundaries, -a concept which is way past its expiration date as it is already- and oh so desperately want to paly one on the allaince side for whatever reason? Cool, roleplay one.
    Impossible to implement, my butt. They made mechagnomes who can't even have boots, gloves or whole pants. If they wanted to give us naga and dryads they could. Naga were even implemented in a way that they can wear trousers and boots textures on their tails. And since very early in the game.

Also your roleplay band-aids are just that. People don't want that kind of half-baked solution.
    Like, they can disguise their VE into HE, but they still can't make them paladin which means you never really got your playable HE.

Let the real vampires join Horde like they were meant to though.
    I don't know how much effort you went through to convince yourself of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    The lore definitely isn't a problem since it can be twisted in any way it needs to make things fit.

I sure can't wait for Warcraft to know get through their AoS, so we can include representatives of the different cosmic forces in our two factions, lol.

Impossible to implement, my butt. They made mechagnomes who can't even have boots, gloves or whole pants. If they wanted to give us naga and dryads they could. Naga were even implemented in a way that they can wear trousers and boots textures on their tails. And since very early in the game.

Also your roleplay band-aids are just that. People don't want that kind of half-baked solution.
    Like, they can disguise their VE into HE, but they still can't make them paladin which means you never really got your playable HE.

I don't know how much effort you went through to convince yourself of that.
    I like you for "some" reason :P

On a serious note:

Show me one naga on which these features are used, and
    the proof that they can work and how they work currently, then we can discuss this point further.
    Until then, you must make do with what you can. Currently Venthry and Sylvar are the most likely candidates.

Yep, no matter how you twist it, venthyr are not the #TeamSparklingEdward vampires form your wet fantasies, they are badass and thus need to be on the badass faction, until it dissolves along with the other one.
    Last edited by SocialJusticeFuryWarrioir; 2021-10-16 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    The Forsaken are zombies, not vampires. There are several undead creatures, not only one.

What's wrong with that? It's a fantasy game. They're not some godly figures. We easily kill them like any other mob. You people make them into these untouchable creatures. They're simply creatures with a purpose, that's it.

I'll tell you what's missing - known mythological creatures like Angels, Fauns and Vampires. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to play as these while we can play as Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, Werewolves, Orcs, Trolls, Minotaurs, Zombies and Goblins.

Ogres should definitely become playable. They have more history with the Horde than any other race. So do Forest Trolls. These two, i feel, are essential to the identity of the faction - just like High elves and Wildhammers are for the Alliance.
    Naga are problematic, since they have no legs. Saberon are likely, especially considering that they came to Azeroth with the Mag'hars. I don't see a reason why Furbolgs wouldn't be, either. They're already allied with the Alliance. Dryads can't be made playable since they have four legs.

First of all, San'layn aren't unique. Venthyr are. Secondly, it's not because of their gothics looks that they fit with the Horde, it's because of their similarities to Blood elves. Snob and patronizing attitudes, alongside a substance addiction that causes them to devolve is what the Blood elves (and Nightborne) have gone through. Kael'thas is there as a representative for a reason.

I like you for "some" reason

On a serious note:

Show me one naga on which these features are used, and
    the proof that they can work and how they work currently, then we can discuss this point further.
    Until then, you must make do with what you can. Currently Venthry and Sylvar are the most likely candidates.

Yep, no matter how you twist it, venthyr are not the #TeamSparklingEdward vampires form your wet fantasies, they are badass and thus need to be on the badass faction, until it dissolves along with the other one.
    Oh. I didn't realize you were joking. Haha, good one.

Here's your naga with pants and shoes.

Oh. I didn't realize you were joking. Haha, good one.

Hmm, still looks off compared to other races. The answer is still no.

There are some way more whoelsome bipedal naga concepts though, but drakonid still is cooler
    Last edited by SocialJusticeFuryWarrioir; 2021-10-16 at 10:40 AM.

There are some way more whoelsome bipedal naga concepts though, but drakonid still is cooler
    I don't believe in bipedal naga. If God wanted naga with legs, he'd call it lizardmen.

I don't believe in bipedal naga. If God wanted naga with legs, he'd call it lizardmen.
    Case in point.

Drakonid would be cool. They'd require a racial similar to the loa shrine of the zandalari. Something to get a bonus depending on the dragonflight you chose.

As for the venthyr and sylvar, I know you were joking but there's still some truth to it. Venthyr and maldraxxi are on the monster side, so obviously an easy fit for the Horde, while the sylvar and kyrian are the virtuous, an obvious choice for Alliance.

That is, if you disregard completely their stories and roles in the universe, which make them hard to place in any of the existing factions.

As much as they deserve to be playable, i don't know how viable it is in their current situation.

A possible solution, my friends:

That is, if you disregard completely their stories and roles in the universe, which make them hard to place in any of the existing factions.
    The role of the Lightforged Draenei was to vanquish the Burning Legion. Yet, they still ended up on the Alliance. Purposes and stuff don't prevent any allegiances.

A possible solution, my friends:

Yes. Yes, I'm interested.

The role of the Lightforged Draenei was to vanquish the Burning Legion. Yet, they still ended up on the Alliance. Purposes and stuff don't prevent any allegiances.
    At least once the Legion was vanquished they could throw themselves in the next war to avoid the existential crisis.

Venthyr lets Blizzard copy paste from the Vampire horror genre, Kyrians let them copy paste from the Angelic Heaven aesthetic, Sylvar lets them copy paste Fauns, and Maldraxxi lets them copy paste Hulks. That's why it will happen.

Yes. Yes, I'm interested.
    It could be some sort of prototype.

At least once the Legion was vanquished they could throw themselves in the next war to avoid the existential crisis.
    Now, say it with Shadowlands content:
    "At least once the Jailer is defeated and the Shadowlands have been reformed, they could throw themselves in the next war to avoid the existential crisis".

Now, say it with Shadowlands content:
    "At least once the Jailer is defeated and the Shadowlands have been reformed, they could throw themselves in the next war to avoid the existential crisis".
    Who would want a reform that puts them out of job ???

I mean, when that job isn't all war ?

Who would want a reform that puts them out of job ???

I mean, when that job isn't all war ?
    That's what they're aiming for.
    Sylvanas with her goal of breaking the cycle and the Kyrians giving up on that whole "purging your memory" thing.