Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    When the major alternatives are the BBC Sherlock, the Robert Downey Jr. one, or the god awful Will Ferrell one, that really isn't saying much.
    MODERN - yes, we're pretty limited. Because it wasn't until post 2010 that anyone wanted (or got enough money to attempt) to reboot Sherlock Holmes as "modern" in the first place. =D

Prior to that though we have several awesome "old skool" Sherlock Holmes actors - both that acted in original movie/tv programs as well as those who acted in tv series/movies based or scripted off the original Doyle Stories.

As an old Sherlockian/Holmesian - I had to post .

And for my money - the best Sherlock Holmes actor, bar none, for me - Jeremy Brett. Played him for years as part of the PBS/BBC Sherlock Holmes Series (from the early 90s) which was a tv series adapting the original Doyle stories and books (and only the original). Brett epitomizes every aspect of the Holmes personality perfectly to me in his acting, and he looks dead-on too. (And for your older-loving Hollywood-philes a Younger Jeremy Brett sang the role of Freddie Einsford Hill in the "My Fair Lady" movie production opposite Aubrey Hepburn. Cracks me up to see Sherlock Singing down the sidewalk in that movie LOL =D).

He will always be "The Sherlock" to me. The one whom all other actors are measured against, for that character.

I'd get into the Stephen King discussion too but that just would keep all of this way off topic and i'm not trying to hijack really LOL. If anyone starts another thread debating adaptations of fiction (Or King specifically) we can talk there LOL. There are SO MANY good and bad adaptations, it really could be its own lecture on "doing it wrong vs. doing it right."

Some adaptations are better for sticking close to the source; some are better for not doing so. Only the finished project will show us and stand for itself. Only then will people find out if character/plot changes (whatever they might be and all of them that are there) were "worth it" or not. Sometimes it works great; sometimes its awful enough for authors to sue to have their names removed (*cough* Lawnmower Man *cough*)

On a related note: Yes, actually, I do consider the Ranklin Bass animated version of The Hobbit to be the far better adaptation than the PJ trilogy. LOTR PJ Trilogy is awesome - the animated Bass movies are "alright". But not his Hobbit; the animated version is far better and, ONE of the reasons I would say it is, is because it is a truer re-telling of the actual book's story - than the live-action trilogy ended up being.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-07-06 at 06:54 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I realize I have contributed to some of this derailment....but all of this talk about Hulks, LotR, Sherlock Holmes, etc is really off-topic.

Let's bring it back to Sandman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I understand your sentiment and what you're trying to say, but you need to realize that everything you said here is 100% bullshit coming from your mouth.

An adaptation of an existing work can change the material as much as it pleases and still be considered a derivative work.
    the only 100% bullshit is how you are keep twisting things and outright ignoring what one is saying and you keep arguing like ims aying a movie should be 100% faithful, just showing your disonest intent of conversation.

You're trying to make a point that being more faithful to the novels would make it better, yet here you are arguing that changes to the original novel are fine.

Yet that is rarely the goal of a film adaptation. It is not to be faithful to the source, it's to capitalize on an already established property that guarantees an audience for a new movie.
    And when it is faithful to source it becomes arguable way better if it was not.

A lord of the ring books, without taking the book as source would be shit, period.

I'm expressing it as an opinion. You're free to disagree, and I'd be fine if you did. Except you aren't exactly disagreeing, you're trying to explain your opinion as though it's some sort of objective standard of what an Adaptation must be, and for the most part I'm countering all that bullshit with plenty of examples that go against what you're suggesting.
    My dude, if you are making an adaptation, of a source, faitfhul to the source is a objective standard you can count for it. There is big, small or compeltely different changes in adaptation, that is not subjective.

They can be judged. I never said they can't be judged. All I said is it's a subjective opinion that will differ from person-to-person.
    you said people should not do that, which is worse, cause you can't dictate what other people should do.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Looks straight out of the comic with that overhead shot being the crowd pleaser. I do not like that his hair is not as full and unkempt as in the comics, but Gaiman has said it would be different later.

Well, this looks better than I expected.

Then again, anything with Charles Dance in it automatically looks better

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Then again, anything with Charles Dance in it automatically looks better
    He is good, he should play Shaddam II

Dream looked the part, sort of, but he was almost pouting, felt weird, like he was about to do duck lips selfie..
    or 'Blue Steel' zoolander look...
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-16 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    He is good, he should play Shaddam II
    I assume you mean Shaddam IV (of Dune fame)? A role he'd fit very well indeed, totally agree.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I assume you mean Shaddam IV (of Dune fame)? A role he'd fit very well indeed, totally agree.
    ah yes, I must have gotten confused with me brain watching all those Leto II youtube vids about him n the golden path n stuff

Some say charles dance looks too old, but I mean they changed Kynes (and yes she was good in the film), so, lets just get charles dance cuz he is awesome

5+ Year Old Account
    Lucifer

this is a 'small' picture, link below is better to see/judge but I guess mods would get angry if I uploaded it here..

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/7dkk...First_Look.jpg
    https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Wp5F...ifer_Wings.jpg

oh look, Lucifer is female.

I'm so not shocked...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    oh look, Lucifer is female.

I'm so not shocked...
    well, the comic that it's from has lots of shifting, so this is alright.
    The real problem is Death, that was so changed that she won't have the cultural impact the comic version had, some very ideological posters here are ignoring this n say that she might mechanically play the part, somehow is a defense...as her look will be dismissed by the audience, they know it will be but...these guys are really stubborn n don't really care..

The real problem is Death, that was so changed that she won't have the cultural impact the comic version had, some very ideological posters here are ignoring this n say that she might mechanically play the part, somehow is a defense...as her look will be dismissed by the audience, they know it will be but...these guys are really stubborn n don't really care..
    meh

gender bending, race changes etc

when that happens in adaptions, I immediately lose all interest.
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

meh

That says more about you than it does about the adaptation.

For the record, Lucifer's character design in the books was based on David Bowie...so an Androgynous look.

5+ Year Old Account
    meh

i meant changing genders happens in the actual comic, as for race changes that happened too, but in such small part it would be detrimental to take out the main look in the comic, Death is mainly this little white goth girl which gave her a cultural impact the race change will never do nor are they interested, probably because the times have changed n kids today don't care as much about goth, metal, etc. so they decided not to cater to gen-x which paid for his whole career...neil gaiman is a lying sack of shit imho

We've simply decided that Neil Gaiman's view that she's perfectly cast for the part carries more weight than your view that she isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    That says more about you than it does about the adaptation.

For the record, Lucifer's character design in the books was based on David Bowie...so an Androgynous look.
    lol sure, it's my opinion.

she looks really androgynous.

- - - Updated - - -

i meant changing genders happens in the actual comic, as for race changes that happened too, but in such small part it would be detrimental to take out the main look in the comic, Death is mainly this little white goth girl which gave her a cultural impact the race change will never do nor are they interested, probably because the times have changed n kids today don't care as much about goth, metal, etc. so they decided not to cater to gen-x which paid for his whole career...neil gaiman is a lying sack of shit imho
    Ik it does but we know how people generally view him.

5+ Year Old Account
    We've simply decided that Neil Gaiman's view that she's perfectly cast for the part carries more weight than your view that she isn't.
    Our eyes carry more weight than his lies.

Our eyes carry more weight than his lies.
    Your eyes haven't seen the woman play the part. His have.

- - - Updated - - -

lol sure, it's my opinion.
    I know it's your opinion. Your opinion says more about you than it does about the series.

5+ Year Old Account
    Your eyes haven't seen the woman play the part. His have.
    I'm talking about cultural impact, she will have none, whether or not she can mechanically play a part is the lesser concern.

since all these..DC trailers dropped today, the Batman, who cares what race catwoman is? She is a thief, likes cats, interested in batman and...that's it. She hasn't an iconic cultural look. So there it doesn't matter, in the sandman it does matter what Death looks like for the fans because it's iconic, it resonates culturally with goth, metal people, anyone who thinks this new cast choice will resonate with anyone is either severly delusional, outright lying or just don't care.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-16 at 11:51 PM.

I know it's your opinion. Your opinion says more about you than it does about the series.
    hm and what do you think that opinion says about me???