How the hell can the Miscarriage case resulting in a conviction of manslaughter.

"At Poolaw's one-day trial, reported KSWO, the jury was presented with evidence by prosecutors that there was no way to state with certainty that her drug use caused her miscarriage, and both the nurse and the medical examiner noted the fetal abnormalities seen at the autopsy."

If the prosecution says this, there shouldn't be a trial in the first place... Must be an overzealousn district attorney. Or local elections in few months. So every idiot becomes "Tough on crime".

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    How the hell can the Miscarriage case resulting in a conviction of manslaughter.

"At Poolaw's one-day trial, reported KSWO, the jury was presented with evidence by prosecutors that there was no way to state with certainty that her drug use caused her miscarriage, and both the nurse and the medical examiner noted the fetal abnormalities seen at the autopsy."

If the prosecution says this, there shouldn't be a trial in the first place... Must be an overzealousn district attorney. Or local elections in few months. So every idiot becomes "Tough on crime".
    More troubling (I think? there's so much that's batshit and sickening here) is that the fetus wasn't even viable, Native American women have significantly higher rates of stillbirths, and the law under which they prosecuted her wasn't in effect until 6 months after she'd been charged. But she is brown, so.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    These two stories came out on the same day: Judge acquits former St. Louis County officer in death of 12-year-old girl

"Marquart, 27, hit Akeelah while she and her friend crossed the 8900 block of Halls Ferry Road about 5:45 p.m. near the city line with Jennings. An investigation found that Marquart was going 58 mph in the 30 mph zone when he struck Akeelah, throwing her body more than 125 feet down the road. Akeeleh died about a month after being hit."

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...6a627748a.html

"Prosectors in Oklahoma successfully argued to a jury this month that a woman who had a miscarriage was guilty of the manslaughter of her non-viable fetus."

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/br...ge-in-oklahoma
    Jesus FUCKING Christ... it's impossible to say cops don't get away with nearly everything just by being cops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    Jesus FUCKING Christ... it's impossible to say cops don't get away with nearly everything just by being cops.
    It's also astonishing we still have people insisting #notallcops when... yes, actually, all cops choose to be part of a corrupt and oppressive system whether actively or through willful ignorance of the impacts of their profession.

But hey criticising a voluntary and paid profession with enumerated legal privileges that most people don't have is literally as bad broadbrushing racial minorities. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's also astonishing we still have people insisting #notallcops when... yes, actually, all cops choose to be part of a corrupt and oppressive system whether actively or through willful ignorance of the impacts of their profession.
    very much so, when you become a cop you are inducted into this society separate from the rest of society, that becomes your main signifier even if you delude yourself into thinking you're somehow above it.

10+ Year Old Account
    very much so, when you become a cop you are inducted into this society separate from the rest of society, that becomes your main signifier even if you delude yourself into thinking you're somehow above it.
    Yep. That's why we don't have a 'gay cops' float at Pride.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yep. That's why we don't have a 'gay cops' float at Pride.
    this is pretty "un" related to the topic but I read a story about a NYPD cop who murdered her ex GF's new love interest. it really goes to show no matter the kind of person you are if you're a cop the chances of you perpetrating domestic violence goes up exponentially.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is pretty "un" related to the topic but I read a story about a NYPD cop who murdered her ex GF's new love interest. it really goes to show no matter the kind of person you are if you're a cop the chances of you perpetrating domestic violence goes up exponentially.
    40% of Cops is a meme for a reason.

New information about the Ahmaud Arbery case, the defendants in the killing of Arbery were told multiple times that their phone calls while in jail would be monitored, and they didn't think the calls could be used in the trial.

One of the murderers, claimed in one of the phone calls that claimed that "no good deed goes unpunished", claiming that their chasing and killing of Arbery was a good thing.

https://meaww.com/ahmaud-arbery-case...s-bryan-roddie

According to a report, Greg tells his brother during one of the calls, "I have been filleted and laid out as a sacrificial lamb. It’s… it’s all political.” Greg asks his brother, “You’ve heard the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished?” to which his brother replies, "That’s a shining example right there.” In one of the calls between the McMichaels couple Leigh and Greg, the latter becomes angry while discussing his daughter's social media posts - one of which had a photo of Arbery's dead body lying on the street.

In one of the calls made by Travis to his best friend Zack Langford, the former spoke about wanting to be released on bond so he could be present for raising his young son. Langford testified on behalf of Travis during their bond hearing. In one of the calls between Travis and his mother Leigh, the latter was heard preparing her son for the high-profile case, at one time likening it to the media coverage that O.J Simpson's case received. “Oh my God,” Travis said to which his mother replied, "but that's a good thing because they're gonna see facts that's not there that they haven't seen." In another call, Greg said he did a "good deed". The defense said the prosecution will argue that the good deed his client had on mind was killing Arbery. The defense added, Greg referred to his "attempt to conduct a private person's arrest" of Arbery as a good deed.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    New information about the Ahmaud Arbery case, the defendants in the killing of Arbery were told multiple times that their phone calls while in jail would be monitored, and they didn't think the calls could be used in the trial.

One of the murderers, claimed in one of the phone calls that claimed that "no good deed goes unpunished", claiming that their chasing and killing of Arbery was a good thing.

https://meaww.com/ahmaud-arbery-case...s-bryan-roddie
    It's a tough case to prove that he meant killing arbery was the "good deed" when all the defense has to do is say "he meant trying to arrest him"

Probably be better to play the "he has no remorse for his actions" angle.

Men shot by Kyle Rittenhouse can be called “rioters” and “looters” but not “victims,” judge rules

Wow! This piece of crap judge. Talk about bias here, I feel for the prosecution in this trial. I mean at least if anything I guess both sides should have their "narrative" of what to call them. No doubt this might bias the jury.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Men shot by Kyle Rittenhouse can be called “rioters” and “looters” but not “victims,” judge rules

Wow! This piece of crap judge. Talk about bias here, I feel for the prosecution in this trial. I mean at least if anything I guess both sides should have their "narrative" of what to call them. No doubt this might bias the jury.
    Yeah, that ruling is racist, partisan horse shit.

If the victims can't be called "victims" because that's biasing, then calling them "rioters" or "looters" can't be tolerated.

Especially since, to my knowledge, none of Rittenhouse's murder victims actually engaged in any looting or rioting. Whereas Rittenhouse really did kill two people.

Is that the new standards? You can't call murder victims "victims" until after the fuckin' trial? Defense lawyers should just pretend that, no, the knife just accidentally stabbed into them 42 times, they're not a victim.

Get fuckin' bent, you shitbird judge. Hell, the prosecution could potentially sue for a mistrial due to judicial malfeasance over this.

Wow! This piece of crap judge. Talk about bias here, I feel for the prosecution in this trial.
    From what little I've read about this, the judge has been doing this sort of shit pretty much the whole time. I never really expected Rittenhouse to be anything but the poster child for our fucked up "justice" system (through his inevitable acquittal), but I didn't really expect the judge to hand it to the defense so blatantly.

Just for sake of completeness, they can only be called that if the defense can produce evidence showing that's what they were. The defense isn't banned at the outset, but isn't free to use it throughout the trial if they lack evidence to show it's true. I'm not a lawyer to tell you whether or not evidence that clears that hurdle is likely to be found and presented.

The judge's insistence that 'victim' or 'alleged victim' is loaded and denied in his court is reported as being personal and longstanding to the judge himself, and not Wisconsin law.

In other news on the case:
    Prosecutors wanted to block a use-of-force expert from testifying regarding self-defense. Judge grants in part that expert can't testify about what Rittenhouse was thinking, or give expert opinion on whether or not it was self-defense. But it sounds like expert gets to testify.
    Prosecutors sought to bar the video that shows police officers encouraging Rittenhouse/armed militia. Judge denied it.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...5-80ddda5d4e1b

The shooting victim that wasn't killed is suing, alleging officials are partly responsible for assisting the "band of white nationalist vigilantes." Strangely enough, he isn't suing the dude that shot him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...trial-n1282466
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    The shooting victim that wasn't killed is suing, alleging officials are partly responsible for assisting the "band of white nationalist vigilantes." Strangely enough, he isn't suing the dude that shot him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...trial-n1282466
    He's got nothing to sue Rittenhouse for. That's already being handled by the criminal courts. Same reason OJ wasn't sued for wrongful death in the matter of his wife until after the criminal case was resolved and resulted in a not guilty verdict, if you want a really well-known example. Civil and criminal issues aren't over the same issues, and you don't have to pick and choose.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

It's horrifying from a legal point of view. The judge is an obvious racist appeaser and is more than likely doing anything and everything to help the defense get Kyle a not guilty verdict. And appealing these things is difficult, at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Just for sake of completeness, they can only be called that if the defense can produce evidence showing that's what they were. The defense isn't banned at the outset, but isn't free to use it throughout the trial if they lack evidence to show it's true. I'm not a lawyer to tell you whether or not evidence that clears that hurdle is likely to be found and presented.

The judge's insistence that 'victim' or 'alleged victim' is loaded and denied in his court is reported as being personal and longstanding to the judge himself, and not Wisconsin law.
    The judge not allowing "victim" or "alleged victim" but possibly allowing "rioter" or "looter" is one of the most biased and racist decisions I've ever seen. The fact that you even remotely appease this shows your true colors.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The judge not allowing "victim" or "alleged victim" but possibly allowing "rioter" or "looter" is one of the most biased and racist decisions I've ever seen.
    Not sure where the racism comes from, but those "vicitms" seemed to have been awfully engaged in the happening before being shot.

40% of Cops is a meme for a reason.
    Seriously, if I were a woman I'd steer clear of dating a cop.

It's like a huge red flag of "I might just hit or kill you".

I'm sure there are whole categories of convicts that are safer to date than dating a cop.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demasiados View Post
    Not sure where the racism comes from, but those "vicitms" seemed to have been awfully engaged in the happening before being shot.
    The sheer volume of ignorance expressed in the above is staggering.

They are victims because they were shot in cold blood. They are neither looters nor rioters because that hasn't been established in any court of law. The rest of your problems are going to have to be sorted out by others.

It's adorable that you don't see how this entire thing is based on racism.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They are victims because they were shot in cold blood.
    They are neither looters nor rioters because that hasn't been established in any court of law.
    In that case i hope theres such an establishment done with regards to Kyles cold-bloodedness so as to keep this to your standards.