Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    I will , whenever 10 stops getting supported.
    probably windows 12 time by then tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabulon5 View Post
    If this is true you already have a TPM chip, you just don't know it. Your processor can be configured as a TPM, pretty much all processors made after 2015 can, just gotta dig a little.
    Not true for AMD Ryzen 1 (2016).

Mainboards are getting since a while windows-11-ready BIOS versions, where TMP is simply "ENABLED" as BIOS DEFAULT.

The OEMs are selling right now the last non-Windows11 ready hardware (mostly AMDs previous gen systems), the whole windows 11 migration is just an issue for low-budget buyers who buy just right now new hardware and dont know why its sold for cheap.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Not true for AMD Ryzen 1 (2016).

Mainboards are getting since a while windows-11-ready BIOS versions, where TMP is simply "ENABLED" as BIOS DEFAULT.

The OEMs are selling right now the last non-Windows11 ready hardware (mostly AMDs previous gen systems), the whole windows 11 migration is just an issue for low-budget buyers who buy just right now new hardware and dont know why its sold for cheap.
    Honestly, if you are AMD user there is no reason to downgrade to Win11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    true, because of the cache bug.

Honestly, i don't think W11 should habe been realesed, there are so many yet to be solved bugs, like the file explorer bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I game on Intel 10900k/z490 and my second sytem was a ZEN2/B450 one. I got rid of the AMD system, piece of unsupported trash, that cant be used for audio recording.
    I would avoid current AMD systems, but not out of reasons for current and future windows incompatibilities.

The windows 11 / AMD performance issue is overblown, as if windows 10 (TEN) with the still ongoing AMD CCD "badluck" issues is magically solved. The only thing AMD had going for, were the CPU+boards with the good price/performance ratio, but thats clearly limited with real world hardware compatibility. The lack of software and OS support for AMD is the least amount of issue you get.

I am sceptic about ZEN4 with AMDs own big.LITTLE implementation. AM4 since 2016 did not manage to get fully supported with windows over 5 years, so I have my doubts how ZEN4 will handle the current WINTEL collaboration with the Intel Thread Director Technology implementation. AM4 "first adopter" issues are still present at the end of AM4, so having doubts about microsoft/AMD is not that far stretched at this point.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    If you upgraded from 10 then yes, off by default. But a clean install come enabled
    I did a fresh install of windows 11 iso using a usb stick, even selected new fresh device, no syncing whatsoever, on bnew nvme i bought and no its NOT enabled.

I assume (not sure) it does enable automatically if you have virtualization turned on in bios, but it shouldnt be on by default. It would be turned on on PCs who do VMs or android emulation, but if you are not messing with those it shouldnt be on.

Honestly the way i use windows, its really not any different from 10, you dont really gain or lose anything. I dont notice a performance loss, I feel like theres less stuttering, but thats maybe because of my bnew 980 pro *shrugs
    Last edited by Yizu; 2021-10-18 at 01:39 PM.

I'm still using windows 9 and it takes everything in my power to remain at 9. I swear they try and sneak in an update any way they can lol

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    For me, Windows 11 really highlights all the UI issues I had with 10, and somehow actually made them worse. The fact that I can't do the simplest things like move my taskbar or make the icons bigger or make hovering over them super obvious is such a weirdly backwards way of going. It's actually shocking how much this seems like a UI driven update, but the bulk of the changes aren't actually, you know, good.
    Yeah, exactly this.
    I seriously fail to understand, don't they do any internal tests now? How such bad designs could go live? Like, did nobody ever say: "Hey guys, your UI is ages worse than win10 had, wtf are you doing?"
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

No valid poll options.

Windows took a dive into anti-privacy, surveillance totalitarianism with Windows 8. They joined Apple and Google who were already there.

Each new "upgrade" is a step further toward extinguishing your privacy, stripping you of individuality, and merging you further into the Borg Collective. Today we monitor your data; tomorrow we monitor your thoughts; the year after that, you are getting most of your thoughts from us.

We need to bring a sledgehammer to surveillance tech, and we need to smash it to pieces. Then we need to start from where we were 10 years ago.

The little ui changes make no sense I'll agree.
    Taking the weather from the taskbar is one.
    You can't click on calendar in the taskbar now either and just enter events anymore.
    It brings up a calendar I can only look at which is pointless mainly.
    The volume icon can't be moved and is paired with network in the far right.
    No live tiles for weather in the start menu etc.

Those are the main ones I've come across.
    I'm down with the sec changes, not so much the ui ones.
    Other than those little things, it does run smoothly for me and I've had no issues.

Stardock is selling the Start11 app that can convert it back to older start menus if anyone is interested for 5$.
    I grabbed it for now and went back to the 10 look.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I keep hearing a lot of horror stories about Windows 11.

I think I will stay where I'm at with 10 for quite a while longer.
    Its literally a Win 10 Feature Update that was renamed.

If they hadn't decided to call it Win 11, it would have been forced on you as Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update 2021.

And.. quite a few of the background enhancements ARE coming to the next major Win 10 update.

15+ Year Old Account
    I swear back when Windows 10 was released people said the exact same about that... basically just get the impression most people don't like change. I'm not saying Windows 11 is faultless, far from it, but it's just Windows 10 in a different skin and some other changes. And I agree some of the changes are annoying (no clock on 2nd display taskbar annoys me the most), but I welcome the new look UI.

15+ Year Old Account
    Iirc windows 10 was received quite well at first for the most part.
    Possible, I might be thinking about how Windows 8 was received.

It's a yes or no question and poll....

Just ignore the flavor text.
    It's not, i want to upgrade but my setup with a 6700k doesn't currently allow it without a hardware bypass which i have not done, at least not yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Its literally a Win 10 Feature Update that was renamed.
    I think there is a lot more that we can't see, if W11 was just a renamed port then there wouldn't be any bugs, the problem is that at the moment it buggy has hell.

One example of the new features of W11 is the new thread manager that allows the SO to deal properly with the yet to be realeased Alder Lake CPU's. This new feature will allow the SO to deal with the Big/Little arquitecture of the Alder Lake, this feature was developed togeter with Intel.

So, there is a lot of things on that SO that don't shine at all, but they there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I think there is a lot more that we can't see, if W11 was just a renamed port then there wouldn't be any bugs, the problem is that at the moment it buggy has hell.

One example of the new features of W11 is the new thread manager that allows the SO to deal properly with the yet to be realeased Alder Lake CPU's. This new feature will allow the SO to deal with the Big/Little arquitecture of the Alder Lake, this feature was developed togeter with Intel.

So, there is a lot of things on that SO that don't shine at all, but they there.
    From what I hear some of the bugs being reported now were in the Windows 10 insider build about 7 months ago the AMD issues being the big one (I don't have a AMD computer or some of the other hardware on my insider computer so I can't say ran into them) but it does seem to lead me to believe some of the code for 11 came from the 10 insider builds.

*most of the security in 11 was built into 10 around 2019 (was a MS response to a comment in the video someone posted with the hacking demo).

Yeah that I remember was DOA. I didn't know shit about computers back then, but I knew that everybody and their mother hated Windows 8 for some reason....idk I thought it was pretty lol
    The issues with Windows 8 boiled down to them replacing the Start button with a "hot corner" and swapping the Start menu for the Start screen, and for a lot of people the UI changes were enough to do without the performance improvements and positive quality-of-life changes with things like the power-user menu and task manager.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fresh installed Win11 Pro using the media creation tool direct from Microsoft, and activated with my Win 10 Pro key. Aside from a small driver issue with Ryzen Master, I've not had any show stopping issues or weird behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The issues with Windows 8 boiled down to them replacing the Start button with a "hot corner" and swapping the Start menu for the Start screen, and for a lot of people the UI changes were enough to do without the performance improvements and positive quality-of-life changes with things like the power-user menu and task manager.
    I had a few people that had Windows 8 computers (bought with it new) and hated it's GUI, that's when I ran across classic shell for them, have a few people that still only run 10 because of having that installed they wanted 7 installed on their newer 10 computers (A driver messed I really didn't want to deal with).