Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    And Lightforged Draenei were from outer space with a purpose of exterminating the Legion. Mag'har Orcs were not only from another planet, but from another reality altogether. And Void elves are from outer space, as well. Their purpose is to master the Void.

Why would any otherworldly creature? Simple, because we've got involved with each other, pulled them into our situation and built a relationship with them.

You can say that about any race. But, the fact that these races are distinct from one another and mesh well with a certain faction, tells us where they belong.

That's called PVE content. It does not nullify PvP.

Unlikely. They have rivalries of their own and certain agendas that don't just lend themselves to everybody.

I don't know if they're better than Ogres, but what this guy don't understand is that Blizzard can't possibly neglect the Necrolords while adding all other covenant races. They'd have to pick one from each realm. And, as it stands, only Gladiators have a female model in Maldraxxus.

They're the only ones with a female model. What, you think they'd only add some Shadowlands races?

Night Fae are obviously Sylvar.

They don't have a female model. And you cannot have gendered skeletons because of reasons (lack of feminine or masculine features due to lack of flesh).

And Sylvar. I don't know why you keep forgetting them.

Why not both?
    I don't know why they chose Gladiators, but they are obviously being set up to be the Maldraxxus allied race.
    I was just saying they look more playable or finnished.. that they lack a female model is true, but ogres never had them either. The gladiators use kul tiran model and they happen to have a female model.

I dont think its so obvious as you think.. like I said, they are just kul tirans with no faces and are just shown as guards, not even talking about the options of the model it self. Ogres are on the list as fan favorites for a long ass time, if the rexxar model is an indication of what an playable ogre should be, then.. I see them happening more likely then those guards that use the Kul'Tiran model. Also the focus of the Maldraxxus is mostly on Draka, now leader, Mograine and couple of skeletons. Even the skeletons look morr playable.

The bl was that both Kyrian and venthyr seem more fleshed out and is a single race compared to a range of undead creatures and orc and human, but time will tell.. we will see.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-10-19 at 08:44 PM.

I fail to see how the NPC Maldraxxus Gladiators being less refined than a playable rig is relevant at all considering the first time we saw Vulpera they looked like this with all the armor baked on:

I don't see how the Male Maldraxxus Gladiator's we have are any less there. Draka being the leader of the House of the Chosen is ez mode lore justification.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're unlikely to get ascended Kyrians, but the non-winged ones instead. Things like wings would most likely be a back gear piece.

They wouldn't add Stoneborn, either. You just skipped a covenant race - one from Maldraxxus.
    Yea I feel the same way..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    I fail to see how the NPC Maldraxxus Gladiators being less refined than a playable rig is relevant at all considering the first time we saw Vulpera they looked like this with all the armor baked on:

I don't see how the Male Maldraxxus Gladiator's we have are any less there. Draka being the leader of the House of the Chosen is ez mode lore justification.

They are just hooded guards...with no face. I find it hard to compare, but could be just me..

You're unlikely to get ascended Kyrians, but the non-winged ones instead. Things like wings would most likely be a back gear piece.

They wouldn't add Stoneborn, either. You just skipped a covenant race - one from Maldraxxus.
    But being only able to play Kyrian Aspirants and having Ascended right there would be so infuriating, You'd basically be reducing angels to just blue humans, I mean it's not like losing the ability to use back piece would take anything away unlike Mechagnomes limbs since most are just 2d patterns that can only get so interesting

Also between Venthyr and some version of Stoneborn, I'd take Stoneborn, even if it's just a watered down version using Draenei animations, I... well, I just think male Venthyr have weird Torsos

And Lightforged Draenei were from outer space with a purpose of exterminating the Legion. Mag'har Orcs were not only from another planet, but from another reality altogether. And Void elves are from outer space, as well. Their purpose is to master the Void.
    Dude it's really not the same, they are all mortal races with mortal desires; Void Elves literally originate on Azeroth and had been part of both Alliance and Horde. It's like you're unable to see the metaphysical difference.

If they joined either faction, at most it should work like the Pandaren, with each group "choosing" a side from an overall neutral pool; the overall issue is that the Shadowlands "races", as organizations, are going to continue to be neutral in their realm, so how do you justify a group of that race, coming to Azeroth, and deciding to join a specific faction?

The only one that makes sense for that would be Draka as a leader, but then why would she leave her position as Margrave? That's the whole issue, what would necessitate swaths of the covenant forces to leave their higher plane of existence and worry themselves with the pity concerns of the mortals of one world?

I really think the metaphysical difference of purpose and scale is not clicking for you.
    Last edited by MyWholeLifeIsThunder; 2021-10-19 at 06:55 PM.

... but that's the point of it all. There's no notable Gladiators (as in NPCs who use those models) at all, and Draka isn't exactly using the female Maldraxxus Gladiator model is she?

None of the notable Maldraxxians are. Mograine is Mograine, Draka is Draka. I don't really understand how this equates to having fully-face covered Gladiators be playable.

To me it'd just be easier to have a racial option for existing race skins to simply adapt a Necrolord glowing eyes and pale-skin option if that's what it really comes down to, since that's pretty much what Draka and Mograine end up being. Sure, the Gladiator model is cool, but as pointed out it's not really representing a Playable Race right now either considering how its design is literally a 'faceless NPC soldier'. I wouldn't mind Blizzard adapting it to be playable, but I don't really see em going out of their way in adapting them either. I personally think all of the Shadowlands races are pretty well rooted in the Shadowlands, much like how most of the Draenor races like Botani, Arrakoa and Saberon are pretty much non-playable still.

But time is still early to tell.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-10-19 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    But being only able to play Kyrian Aspirants and having Ascended right there would be so infuriating, You'd basically be reducing angels to just blue humans, I mean it's not like losing the ability to use back piece would take anything away unlike Mechagnomes limbs since most are just 2d patterns that can only get so interesting

Also between Venthyr and some version of Stoneborn, I'd take Stoneborn, even if it's just a watered down version using Draenei animations, I... well, I just think male Venthyr have weird Torsos
    So true! I'm just looking up at winged Kyrians hovering above me in Korthia and they still look so gracefull ...

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    ... but that's the point of it all. There's no notable Gladiators (as in NPCs who use those models) at all, and Draka isn't exactly using the female Maldraxxus Gladiator model is she?

None of the notable Maldraxxians are. Mograine is Mograine, Draka is Draka. I don't really understand how this equates to having fully-face covered Gladiators be playable.

To me it'd just be easier to have a racial option for existing race skins to simply adapt a Necrolord glowing eyes and pale-skin option if that's what it really comes down to, since that's pretty much what Draka and Mograine end up being. Sure, the Gladiator model is cool, but as pointed out it's not really representing a Playable Race right now either considering how its design is literally a 'faceless NPC soldier'. I wouldn't mind Blizzard adapting it to be playable, but I don't really see em going out of their way in adapting them either. I personally think all of the Shadowlands races are pretty well rooted in the Shadowlands, much like how most of the Draenor races like Botani, Arrakoa and Saberon are pretty much non-playable still.

I remember an idea that basically, we could get "playable SL races" by our characters "ascending" rather than being members of saidcovenant. So we become such "race", with racials based on the covenant ability perhaps, each one with their own model.

The "Maldraxxi Gladiator" NPC is pretty much the apex of Maldraxxian strength, so it would make sense for their ascended form the way Kyrian, Sylvar and Venthyr would make for their own covenants. As far as the customization options go, they could be given faces, but a lot of fun stuff could still be done with solid black heads.

Honestly the Ogre-like Gladiator's look like dog shit, the Krexus style of Gladiator looks mega dope. They got the cinematic treatment and everything! 40 seconds ->

Last edited by shoc; 2021-10-19 at 07:59 PM.

As a tengent; while I prefer the idea of Shadowlands AR's being neutral, I think the idea of our characters "ascending" could more easily allow for a factioned approach; For example, Playable Sylvar would be Night Elves granted such a boon by the Winter Queen as a thank you to her sisters, as well as allowing the fallen in Teldrassil to choose to return to Azeroth as Sylvar as well, creating a stronger factional presence for them in Azeroth.

We could have a similar approach to the Venthyr through Kael, Uther and the Kyrian and Draka and the Necrolords. Basically, our characters getting such a boon through our personal relationship to those important figures:

Alliance: Tyrande -> Sylvar
    Uther -> Kyrian

Horde: Draka -> Gladiator
    Kael'thas -> Venthyr

Honestly the Ogre-like Gladiator's look like dog shit, the Krexus style of Gladiator looks mega dope. They got the cinematic treatment and everything! 40 seconds ->
    Isn't Krexus practically the only one who looks like that though? The other Gladiators are all the dogshit variety, and I don't see those being adapted to being playable. Nor do I see them taking Krexus' uniqueness away from him and having his model be playable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    As a tengent; while I prefer the idea of Shadowlands AR's being neutral, I think the idea of our characters "ascending" could more easily allow for a factioned approach; For example, Playable Sylvar would be Night Elves granted such a boon by the Winter Queen as a thank you to her sisters, as well as allowing the fallen in Teldrassil to choose to return to Azeroth as Sylvar as well, creating a stronger factional presence for them in Azeroth.
    If they were ever made playable, I agree that neutrality would be the best choice, given that's how our own characters approach Covenants.

I don't know about the ascension idea though. I saw T&E talk about it, and it makes sense but involves a lot of permanence that I don't think people are going to want to adopt. Shadowlands is going to be less relevant as we move forward to different expansions, not more relevant. To me, the shadowlands races are gonna be like Hozen/Jinyu being asked for as playable races when MoP was hot. Legion's races all got the benefit of being Allied Races following into BFA which made a big deal out of it, but I expect the focus to shift for the next expansion to something bigger than just Allied Races or Covenant carry overs.

I honestly feel like them doing the Allied Race thing for the Shadowlands races is just gonna bloat what they've already been unable to handle. Like content-wise, this expansion has already been suffering, and I don't see them drawing it out and dedicating more resources to elaborating these races into playable form when they could easily be spending that development time on pushing out the next big content theme instead. I feel like with 9.2 not even talked about yet and with 9.3 possibly completely cut out, a lot of these Covenant stories might not even get the proper story conclusions after we leave Shadowlands. They'll more likely be left behind as entry-level NPCs like Sethrak and Drust, while the primary focus of the 9.2 content will be straight into the Maw.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-10-19 at 08:19 PM.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot about the Stoneborn! Them playable would be so awesome, but I worry about what others say about inhabitants of the Shadowlands fighting for Horde/Alliance.

We could have a similar approach to the Venthyr through Kael, Uther and the Kyrian and Draka and the Necrolords. Basically, our characters getting such a boon through our personal relationship to those important figures:

Alliance: Tyrande -> Sylvar
    Uther -> Kyrian

Horde: Draka -> Gladiator
    Kael'thas -> Venthyr
    But, you just said in your opening paragraph that you'd like the Shadowlands AR's to be neutral, but then show them being divided by faction.
    Last edited by Mungho; 2021-10-19 at 08:15 PM.

Gosh people really wasting their breath on covenant races as ARs? They have literally 0 chances to happen, they make no sense lore wise, their models weren't set up for it and I don't think many players would actually want to play one of those on dimensional things...

I feel the same way about the Shadowlands as I do AU Draenor. I want as little of it as possible seeping into the main universe once this expansion is over.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Krexus practically the only one who looks like that though? The other Gladiators are all the dogshit variety, and I don't see those being adapted to being playable. Nor do I see them taking Krexus' uniqueness away from him and having his model be playable.
    It's also not helping when he was ditched pretty early on and the focus shifts completely to Draka, mograine and some liches.

I see the Legion argument being brought up before, but look it this way.. did we get all legion forces as allied races? The vrykul and broken were left out for example. Who says (if) we are getting sl races that we get all 4 of them, when maybe they have 2 in mind, who knows. It's not like it's weird to think that, when we saw it happening before.
    I am just being honest here and that is, that I find Maldraxxus and Night fea have fewer things or less focus on 1 race that really shines or true representives. They are both filled a with a bunch of different creatures.. the only one that seems plausible are idd the Sylvar as Choom mentioned, but even then it feels like Kyrian and Venthyr are more fleshed out in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    It's also not helping when he was ditched pretty early on and the focus shifts completely to Draka, mograine and some liches.

I see the Legion argument being brought up before, but look it this way.. did we get all legion forces as allied races? The vrykul and broken were left out for example. Who says (if) we are getting sl races that we get all 4 of them, when maybe they have 2 in mind, who knows. It's not like it's weird to think that, when we saw it happening before.
    I am just being honest here and that is, that I find Maldraxxus and Night fea have fewer things or less focus on 1 race that really shines or true representives. They are both filled a with a bunch of different creatures.. the only one that seems plausible are idd the Sylvar as Choom mentioned, but even then it feels like Kyrian and Venthyr are more fleshed out in that sense.
    The thing is I don't even see 2 happening.

None of the races are really adapted for Playable Race form, unlike the races we've seen in BFA (including the work done at the end of Legion-pre-BFA, which I include as BFA content) which were built to be adapted as playable. We have some races like Sylvar who use female Draenei animations, but that alone isn't enough to call them playable. The Gladiators are honestly the worst offenders, with no one actually wanting to play as the Ogre-based Gladiators and simply arguing that they would or should be playable. Like, I've not seen anyone actually want to play as a faceless Gladiator - the conversation is slipping away to some other variant of Maldraxxian, and that kinda defeats the whole point of 'adapting' them as Allied Races since we're literally gonna be talking about a new race entirely that we haven't seen any model for; one that has a face model or uses a unique NPC (Krexus) model that also hasn't been adapted to a common player skeleton.

At that point it's like the Quillboar example I gave much earlier. Just because we can argue a Quillboar could be adapted using Orc skeleton doesn't mean it will somehow become playable, even if the lore happens to tie in some new Quillboar content. The amount of work involved to retrofit a completely new Gladiator doesn't fit the whole point of an Allied Race, which is meant to be a low-cost adaptation of a playable race.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-10-19 at 08:47 PM.

I was just saying they look more playable or finnished.. that they lack a female model is true, but ogres never had them either. The gladiators use kul tiran model and they happen to have a female model.
    An Ogre female model would most likely be based on the female Kul Tiran skeleton.

Sylvar true.. but how likely you see them happening? I mean it could happen, but it seems less likely looking at their model.
    What's wrong with their model? they use the playable female draenei skeleton, have a male and female counterparts, possess several customization options and have a unique running animation.

I dont think its so obvious as you think.. like I said, they are just kul tirans with no faces. Ogres are on the list as fan fovorites for a long time as well.. I see them happening more likely.
    Got any other Maldraxxus race? They wouldn't add all 3 others , but leave out Maldraxxus.
    They do have faces. I don't know if model-wise, but probably like that of Krexus.
    I'm not saying Ogres aren't. I'm saying they're currently setting up the Shadowlands races for playability.

The buttom line was that both Kyrian and venthyr seem more fleshed out and is a single race compared to a range of undead creatures. But time will tell.. we will see.
    You've got owl people and several automatons in Bastion and Stoneborn, Dredgers, and Bigguns in Revendreth. The same is in Maldraxxus. That you cannot tell them apart is not an issue. Each realm holds one possible allied race.

I agree. But, i think it would interfere with armor an such. No playable race was added with wings.

Well, it's not what your prefer. It's what plausible. Stoneborn use Metamorphosis skeleton and are unfit for playability as a race.

Dude it's really not the same, they are all mortal races with mortal desires; Void Elves literally originate on Azeroth and had been part of both Alliance and Horde. It's like you're unable to see the metaphysical difference.
    Yes, i get it. They are beings of a different realm. The afterlives are not that mysterious anymore. and the beings there are not that special.

If they joined either faction, at most it should work like the Pandaren, with each group "choosing" a side from an overall neutral pool; the overall issue is that the Shadowlands "races", as organizations, are going to continue to be neutral in their realm, so how do you justify a group of that race, coming to Azeroth, and deciding to join a specific faction?
    Well, not all Pandaren join us, either. Only the Wandering Isle ones. and there don't seem to be different philosophies to the Shadowlands races like there are for the Pandaren.

The only one that makes sense for that would be Draka as a leader, but then why would she leave her position as Margrave? That's the whole issue, what would necessitate swaths of the covenant forces to leave their higher plane of existence and worry themselves with the pity concerns of the mortals of one world?
    How many times do i have to explain it? we help their covenant to restore order to their realm. We save the Shadowlands from the Jailer. We are the most important thing out there.

I really think the metaphysical difference of purpose and scale is not clicking for you.
    I think you overestimate things and are oblivious to the fact that we gain reputation with them, as well as them being suit for playability, alongside us being the Heroes of the freaking universe.

I remember an idea that basically, we could get "playable SL races" by our characters "ascending" rather than being members of saidcovenant. So we become such "race", with racials based on the covenant ability perhaps, each one with their own model.
    Not applicable, as it would mean that the Shadowlands races would be able to be every class.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Gosh people really wasting their breath on covenant races as ARs? They have literally 0 chances to happen, they make no sense lore wise, their models weren't set up for it and I don't think many players would actually want to play one of those on dimensional things...
    They have like 100% chance of happening. They make a lot of sense lore-wise. Their models are literally suited for playable standards. Many people would like to play as Fauns, Angels, Vampires and Undead Hulks.

We still got 4 Legion races at the end of the expansion: Nightborne, Highmounntain, Lightforged and Void elves.
    As for Vrykul and Broken:
    Firstly, Kyrian use the female Vrykul skeleton, which makes them more likely to become playable in the future.
    Secondly, Argus Broken received the updated Draenei skeleton, instead of the outdated Tauren one (like the TBC ones have), which, again, makes them more likely to become playable in the future.

Literally:
    Maldraxxus Gladiators = male and female, Kul Tiran and Ogre skeletons.
    Sylvar = male and female, female Draenei skeleton.
    Kyrian = male and female, female Vrykul skeleton.
    Venthyr = male and female, not sure which skeleton (modified Nightborne one?)
    Last edited by username993720; 2021-10-19 at 08:53 PM.

If they were ever made playable, I agree that neutrality would be the best choice, given that's how our own characters approach Covenants.

I don't know about the ascension idea though. I saw T&E talk about it, and it makes sense but involves a lot of permanence that I don't think people are going to want to adopt. Shadowlands is going to be less relevant as we move forward to different expansions, not more relevant. To me, the shadowlands races are gonna be like Hozen/Jinyu being asked for as playable races when MoP was hot. Legion's races all got the benefit of being Allied Races following into BFA which made a big deal out of it, but I expect the focus to shift for the next expansion to something bigger than just Allied Races or Covenant carry overs.

I honestly feel like them doing the Allied Race thing for the Shadowlands races is just gonna bloat what they've already been unable to handle. Like content-wise, this expansion has already been suffering, and I don't see them drawing it out and dedicating more resources to elaborating these races into playable form when they could easily be spending that development time on pushing out the next big content theme instead. I feel like with 9.2 not even talked about yet and with 9.3 possibly completely cut out, a lot of these Covenant stories might not even get the proper story conclusions after we leave Shadowlands. They'll more likely be left behind as entry-level NPCs like Sethrak and Drust, while the primary focus of the 9.2 content will be straight into the Maw.
    Honestly I agree; Shadowlands races just feel less likely to become Allied Races than everything we have seen, but I don't discount the idea that they might want to push playability for them in order to have something shiny and new to keep people engaged during the hiatus.

I think that's the question for me; do they move as quickly as they can to the next exp, or do they try to milk more content from Shadowlands for the hiatus? I would go with the former, but yeah who knows.

It just might be that since the SL races are indeed reworked existing races (sans Venthyr) they could milk them a bit further.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    But, you just said in your opening paragraph that you'd like the Shadowlands AR's to be neutral, but then show them being divided by faction.
    I'm just saying it could potentially have a factioned approach; I literally say that I prefer neutrality, but I can see a way how it could work under the faction dichotomy.

Like this is all speculation; SL AR's are far from a certainty, and while I'd personally like that if they happen they would be neutral, I really can't assure anything. I'm speculating on how they could be implemented.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, i get it. They are beings of a different realm. The afterlives are not that mysterious anymore. and the beings there are not that special.
    I really don't think you do. They are literally beings with a higher purpose that goes beyond the political struggles of ONE mortal world. Like any proposal that doesn't try to approach the metaphysical and ideological divide feels shallow, and you don't go into any sort of depth into what motivation and context would make these races want to come to Azeroth and join a faction war.

Not applicable, as it would mean that the Shadowlands races would be able to be every class.
    lmao or maybe there's just a restriction as to what classes can "ascend"

Honestly I agree; Shadowlands races just feel less likely to become Allied Races than everything we have seen, but I don't discount the idea that they might want to push playability for them in order to have something shiny and new to keep people engaged during the hiatus.

I think that's the question for me; do they move as quickly as they can to the next exp, or do they try to milk more content from Shadowlands for the hiatus? I would go with the former, but yeah who knows.
    I'd love for the latter to be the case since I think there's a lot of lore potential in Shadowlands, and exploring more than just the 4 realms. We've only scratched the surface of the afterworld here.

But realistically speaking, things have been moving slower than a snail's pace, and it's absolutely backwards to expect us to stay any longer than necessary when most people are already waiting on the next expansion and sick and tired of the main Sylvanas-centric storyline as it is.

Any aims for new races should really be placed on what could be coming up next, as it really should always be. Races being added in retrospect of the expansion just feels like 'filler', like they couldn't plan anything better for that expansion so they have to take the best bits of the last one to fill in the gaps. That's exactly how I felt about the Race additions in BFA. It wasn't as much a crowd pleaser as much as fulfilling a status quo for (a lack of) Expansion Features
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-10-19 at 11:09 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    Oh, I can't believe I forgot about the Stoneborn! Them playable would be so awesome, but I worry about what others say about inhabitants of the Shadowlands fighting for Horde/Alliance.

That how fellow Horde enjoyers think, "MUH HORDE IS NOT MONSTERS. THEY ARE GOOD GUYS" then proceed to ask for monster races that specialize in rape,cannibalism or genocide.
    Just ask 100 people from horde which faction would neutral vampires join, and i bet 99 of them gonna play it like.... "you know monster races are all at horde, and blood elfs almost got their almost vampire race so so, let goats and angels go alliance but not like we are bad guys but we don't want any goody two shoes races at horde, how we gonna play victim then?"
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.