10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    DPS Check on Titania?
    That wasn't even difficult to hit for casual players when it was relevant content and it sure as hell didn't matter in the slightest what classes you were going with.
    Aye, I mean these first primals are basically intended for people to actually learn their new class in practical applications before heading into savage.
    Most people don't find mashing dummies fun nor is it very useful in actual raid encounters where the bosses do their best to screw up your neatly planned rotation.

It is very useful because you apply the dummy-rotation to a boss fight and since every boss fight has different phases where you can't attack or do something you'd normally do you adjust from there.

i.e. skip a "what's it called"-combo point reset for 10 Kenki because you lost 2-3 GCDs uptime.

It's all about muscle memory.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-10-19 at 08:11 PM.

I've been trying crafting and I got to the level 35 LW quest where I have to make a HQ Toadskin Jacket. I can't even come close to finishing this thing. I looked up some rotations/macros, tried to emulate it, but the best I can do is roughly halfway to the 1584 I need to make it HQ before I run out of CP and durability.

One site I looked at listed their stats by level and they have about 30+ more craftmanship & control than I do and 50+ more CP, so is this is a gear problem? I've just been using what I've gotten as quest rewards though I did buy a couple pieces for GC seals.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've been trying crafting and I got to the level 35 LW quest where I have to make a HQ Toadskin Jacket. I can't even come close to finishing this thing. I looked up some rotations/macros, tried to emulate it, but the best I can do is roughly halfway to the 1584 I need to make it HQ before I run out of CP and durability.

One site I looked at listed their stats by level and they have about 30+ more craftmanship & control than I do and 50+ more CP, so is this is a gear problem? I've just been using what I've gotten as quest rewards though I did buy a couple pieces for GC seals.
    Have you tried food + syrups? They can make or break recipes (know it myself, since whenever i forget when cooking, the first one flat out fails). Also, you can try overleveling in the firmament if that's an option (it's the fastest way currently anyway, if it's still active)

So the Moogle event is running now, lots of goodies to get, what’s the best way to go about it? I been doing the 4 man that give 5 of the tickets and it’s okay so far but I want a bunch of stuff >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    So the Moogle event is running now, lots of goodies to get, what’s the best way to go about it? I been doing the 4 man that give 5 of the tickets and it’s okay so far but I want a bunch of stuff >_<
    The fastest by far is 8 Blue mages running Coils T2. 30~ second runs for 3 tomes.a piece.

I found this visual guide for Moogle event very helpful. https://imgur.com/a/PCvSRna

Credit goes to the authors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    There isn't any meaning behind it.

The characters in the ARR cinematic (also the 1.x ending cinematic) are the players, who are teleported 5 years into the future.

If you had a legacy account (played 1.x) then you had a different intro than the rest of the players in ARR. It showed you teleporting outside of your chosen city state, instead of arriving with a carriage or ship.
    Technically the WoL werent sent to the future they were put in a pocket dimension for 5 years and then released when hydalen had need of them again (Meteor survivors have a different opening scene)

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Who has these issues? Misconecptions?
    Who and what are they based on?
    The entire community thought DNC was going to be giga chad meta because it was theoretically better than bringing BRD. People still think that because it is a little better in a highly optimized kill. It is the worst ranged physical during prog, by a decent margin. This is still catching people out today.

People had no clue what GNB could do because they couldn't actually test it. Even given the weeks to learn it, it wasn't featured heavily in gate prog. It didn't change much from 5.0 but it's one of the better performing tanks today.

Due to lack of testing, all phys ranged had significant balancing issues, as did RDM and to a lesser extent SMN. These were all substantially buffed in patches AFTER the first raid tier. Issues that would've been found in a PTR.

Many people today still think RDM is weak after what happened in gate, even though it's only slightly weaker than BLM. It used to be significantly weaker. First impressions in an expansion last a long time. It's not that hard to get them right. Just have a PTR and don't produce a game like it's 1995.

Never even noticed anyone complaining about that stuff.
    E4S was cleared 1 day after release.
    World FirstDPS were:
    DNC, Bard, MNK, DRG
    What kind of issues are we talking about?
    E4S world first did not have a DNC. It was MNK/DRG/BRD/SMN. You would never bring 2 ranged phys week 1. Notice their kill had none of the new jobs.

DPS Check on Titania?
    That wasn't even difficult to hit for casual players when it was relevant content and it sure as hell didn't matter in the slightest what classes you were going with.
    This caused wipes in many groups on the first week, and even more in groups where people had no idea how to play their jobs. If you were 70 and could beat o1s, this enrage wasn't hard, yet somehow in a new expansion it caused loads of wipes. There were also many groups hard carried on Hades by healers at the end because the same people who needed 3+ pulls to down Titania had weakness during a soft enrage.

If you want to learn your class go to "what are the dummies called"-area and hit them for 30 minutes.
    Or we could do that on a PTR and not have a new game release involve people needing to relearn something they've played for years.

Why exactly do you have to play 100% perfect as soon as the expansion hits? Please explain that to me.
    What is preventing you from doing it after you hit max level?
    If you want to learn to play your class properly, you can do it as soon as you hit max level and can do so on your own. If you can't figure it out on your own, you go for guides. That's not something that would change if you had a PTR.
    The issue isn't playing 100% perfect. It's not being a hindrance on people around you, which you absolutely are if you have no idea how to play, and it's because the new expansion is released and you want to play the game, not worry about other shit. People who are actually playing a new job have to get through 10 levels of playing with the job before they're even allowed to play with other people in the new content.
    Last edited by BiggestNoob; 2021-10-22 at 12:12 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    The problem for WoW would be the stories lead into the raids, if anywhere at all. So even if they made stories mandatory they'd all end in the same audible thud that Shadowland's did.
    Well FFXIV had raid storytelling already 7 years ago as well and does it so much better them WoW... Bellular Gaming got a video about it, I'm not a fan of Bellular but his FFXIV none-live clips were really good!

Personally I think a lot of the beauty of a new expansion is everything being fresh for everyone. I think all of the above points are valid, but are for a different style of game. I've always felt that FFXIV more heavily values exploration and discovery over optimization; eventually you'll have people who will theorycraft and minmax and release guides, of course, but a PTR allows too much of that to be done before release.

I think I could support a much more limited PTR, though. Allow people to play around with jobs but don't allow any MSQ progression or dungeons/trials/raids.

Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    Well FFXIV had raid storytelling already 7 years ago as well and does it so much better them WoW... Bellular Gaming got a video about it, I'm not a fan of Bellular but his FFXIV none-live clips were really good!
    True, but they are still considered side content. They might be referenced in the msq but are in no way required to understand the story.

That isn't the case for WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestNoob View Post
    The entire community thought DNC was going to be giga chad meta because it was theoretically better than bringing BRD. People still think that because it is a little better in a highly optimized kill. It is the worst ranged physical during prog, by a decent margin. This is still catching people out today.
    People had no clue what GNB could do because they couldn't actually test it. Even given the weeks to learn it, it wasn't featured heavily in gate prog. It didn't change much from 5.0 but it's one of the better performing tanks today.
    Due to lack of testing, all phys ranged had significant balancing issues, as did RDM and to a lesser extent SMN. These were all substantially buffed in patches AFTER the first raid tier. Issues that would've been found in a PTR.
    Many people today still think RDM is weak after what happened in gate, even though it's only slightly weaker than BLM. It used to be significantly weaker. First impressions in an expansion last a long time. It's not that hard to get them right. Just have a PTR and don't produce a game like it's 1995.
    Why do you think any of this would change with PTR...
    The community "thinks" a lot of stuff. None of that has any realistic information or background, just like in WoW.
    PTR is completely irrelevant and unnecessary and would only spoil major points of the story and fights.

And you fail to understand that during progression DPS doesn't matter because the game doesn't have significant DPS burst phases (which DNC would win over BRD anyway) and stuff like that, so it really doesn't matter if DNC is the "worst" at progression because you aren't skipping phases or making your life easier by choosing BRD ofer DNC.
    You play the mechanics, DPS and performance is secondary.
    Just because some world-first racers want to know everything immediatly, doesn't mean the rest of the community should have a worse experience. Yes that does mean I consider everything that would lead to a more competitive community to be toxic for the game. PTRs, meta-slaves, all that stuff. That stuff is not used by the community to test fights, it's get "ahead". It's dumb.
    The fact that the community looks at FFLogs to see what the strongest job is and we discuss what class is more useful during which stage of a game, is already telling, even though no one actually needs to do that to clear savage. And this was never any different in FFXIV.

So again, who will the PTR benefit other than world-first racers?

E4S world first did not have a DNC. It was MNK/DRG/BRD/SMN. You would never bring 2 ranged phys week 1. Notice their kill had none of the new jobs.
    True, but how does that matter, It had SMN in it instead of DNC.

This caused wipes in many groups on the first week, and even more in groups where people had no idea how to play their jobs. If you were 70 and could beat o1s, this enrage wasn't hard, yet somehow in a new expansion it caused loads of wipes. There were also many groups hard carried on Hades by healers at the end because the same people who needed 3+ pulls to down Titania had weakness during a soft enrage.
    As if that would change - Wth. Hades?
    Hades was like months in, I guess you can see by that, that PTRs won't help?
    Are you talking about "Normal mode" Titania/Hades?
    You think people who struggle with that would play on PTR?

Or we could do that on a PTR and not have a new game release involve people needing to relearn something they've played for years.
    so you can relearn "earlier"? You do understand that this won't change, right?
    The issue isn't playing 100% perfect. It's not being a hindrance on people around you, which you absolutely are if you have no idea how to play, and it's because the new expansion is released and you want to play the game, not worry about other shit. People who are actually playing a new job have to get through 10 levels of playing with the job before they're even allowed to play with other people in the new content.
    Bullshit. No one who wants to learn his class is going to be a hindrance. You are making up problems.

I have no urge to welcome people posting spoilers and having to avoid forums and FFXIV related stuff 24/7 and not being able to discuss anything FFXIV related 3 month before it's release. Especially since it works just fine now and there is basically no one in high- or low-end who has any issues with the status quo. This has never actually been brought up as a problem.

If someone can't play the new jobs at high level then he just sucks and literally no PTR will save him from that. He won't visit the PTR and learn the class, they would be completely uninterested in something like that. That must be some kind of joke.
    Again, it doesn't take longer than 30 minutes to learn a class properly.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-10-23 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    True, but they are still considered side content. They might be referenced in the msq but are in no way required to understand the story.
    This is true of the later raids, but anyone who skipped coil is missing a lot of important information about what happened before ARR. This is why square didn't do another raid like coil, people didn't like feeling that they were forced into raiding to understand the story.

MSQ roulette works quite well for me. It's not nearly as fast as some other methods if you only want to farm tickets, like e.g. Coils 2. But it gives a big chunk of exp and poetics once a day to level up some chars and get some gear for them as well in addition to 7 or 10 tickets. Considering the event is up for a few weeks, that can give a good base income of daily tickets, which you can then complete with some dungeon / Coil runs.

Second part of leveling goal reached, which is to get all the jobs to 70 before the Road to 70 is gone. Most of my opinions on the classes haven't changed all that much, but some have. I have not played GNB or DNC yet outside of their starter quests, this will be changing from 60-70 especially as I plan to rotate in DNC and probably BRD for SB content once my MCH hits 70.

I'll start with the best:

MCH: I love this job, it's my new favorite. It got exponentially better with the improved shots and Drill. Can't wait to get Flamethrower. It's basically everything I wanted out of a ranged DPS (that BRD didn't deliver) with the bonus of fancy animations.
    DRG: Close second favorite. I switch between the two depending on mood, but for group content I much prefer ranged. DRG is still the best melee by miles.

RDM: Best caster class (since BLU doesn't count). I haven't been able to play with it as much as I'd like though.
    SMN: Kind of fell out of like with this one, it was one of the better jobs until level 50 but given the choice I'd take the previous 3 over playing it. I am excited about the EW changes though, I'm sure my opinion will change with them.

BRD: Took forever to improve, but it finally did. I'm still not into the song management though.
    MNK: Surprised to say second best melee DPS job for me since I hated monk in WoW. I know this one's getting a bit of a rework too though.

NIN: Most likely to never be played again (along with BLM) once it's leveled. I don't like the ninjutsus.
    BLM: Too confusing, the whole rotation changes every ~10 levels and the lack of mobility is a killer.
    SAM: I haven't liked this one either. It's not terrible, it's just blah.

SCH: No opinion, it's leveled cause SMN is. I think I did one dungeon with it.
    WHM: Well, I like it better than AST.
    AST: I have yet to be able to deal with the cards (hah :P). I get into a focus with healing or DPSing and their main gimmick just sits there unused. I've given up on it. I only play it in squadrons and FATEs.

Tanks: Honestly, they're all basically the same. I can't say I've noticed much difference between WAR, PLD, or DRK outside of theme.

BLU: Best job. It's a constant struggle to not drop everything and play it.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExpensiveFur...KcTEOxE3aNe_CS

So this happened, just in case anyone needed a good laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second part of leveling goal reached

Tanks: Honestly, they're all basically the same. I can't say I've noticed much difference between WAR, PLD, or DRK outside of theme.
    Oof keeping them all in the same level range... that's some dedication.

Yeah tanks feel like carbon copies but so do two healers to be honest. Diurnal AST is pretty much the same shabang as WHM, SCH being the odd one out. Agreed that cards suck. The old implementation was cool because you could decide between buffing the group or not but the new one is lust lame³.

The two worst things about it are:

1) All the job quests. I was originally disappointed they were getting rid of those, now I welcome it. :P Most of the storylines aren't good, so having to do them every two levels to keep abilities current has been an ordeal. I told my SO I can sum up 90% of the 50-60 job quests as sad person needs help not being sad.

2) Rotations. I'll be frank, I only play NIN and BLM in MSQ roulette because I can't remember how to play them most of the time. I do well to manage the rotations of the other DPS and even then I know I'm not playing some of them optimally. I only feel truly confident with MCH and DRG.

I like everything about AST except the cards. I love Gravity, it doesn't have the stun but it's otherwise superior to Holy in every other way. I actually thought the Sects were cool, but I know they're removing those in EW.

The two worst things about it are:

1) All the job quests. I was originally disappointed they were getting rid of those, now I welcome it. :P Most of the storylines aren't good, so having to do them every two levels to keep abilities current has been an ordeal. I told my SO I can sum up 90% of the 50-60 job quests as sad person needs help not being sad.
    It is rather disappointing that most of the job questlines in the game just aren't worth the grind to see them, but still. The mantra "quality > quantity" is a misnomer. You want quality and quantity. Going from 15 job storylines to just 5 role quest storylines in ShB did not improve the overall quality of the storylines. I can name a few Stormblood job questlines that were at least decent. I don't really remember any of the ShB role questlines, maybe Giott the dwarf was fun but I don't remember the story at all. When you're raking in hundreds of millions of dollars per year off of subscriptions, expansion box purchases, a cash shop, and merchandise, you absolutely can afford to hire good writers and quest designers to add more quality questlines into the game.