Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is 200 hours of repetitive game play. It is great you are enjoying it but lets not pretend that New World offers actual hours of game play here. It is all kill or loot chests. The story that exists isn't that compelling and the zone quests are low in number or don't even line up very well with all the other stories.
    Most of NW has potensial, thats about it. Right now it feels like a miss from amazon game studios, but nothing would make me happier if they make the game better and better!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well that's what I said. If people are enjoying it, then sure.

But just saying, "This game makes you spend 2000 hours on stuff!" isn't really a positive thing in and of itself. It shouldn't be used as some kind of absolute metric of value or enjoyment.
    I think I see what you're saying. As a personal metric for if you're getting good entertainment for the price you paid it's fine, but it should remain a personal metric as everyone's personal preference is different, so saying "I got 200 hours of enjoyable gameplay out of this" doesn't mean someone else would.

Well that's what I said. If people are enjoying it, then sure.

But just saying, "This game makes you spend 2000 hours on stuff!" isn't really a positive thing in and of itself. It shouldn't be used as some kind of absolute metric of value or enjoyment.
    It was pretty clear that user was talking about their personal enjoyment. Though as such, content is content. Regardless of the repetition in a game. "Doom is all shooting" or "Jumping Flash is all jumping" is pretty wrongheaded if applied to some games and not others relatively speaking.

We don't have the same conception of film in that regard because we don't interact with film nor is it reactionary as games. We could say that an enjoyable movie does provide a lot of enjoyment potentially for someone, sure. The popular phrasing "rewatchable" exists because people do rewatch films.

I was just watching a review of Eternals this morning where the reviewer was talking about seeing Black Widow and Shan Chi 6+ times (this is madness IMO). That definitely is "content" for those that enjoy that kind of movie, as you said.

Game players are not as sophisticated an audience of its consumed product as other genres and modes of entertainment. There are a few reasons for this but largely is a matter of time. Games have not had as much academic and scholarly thought poured into them as film or music by compassion. Even less of which has filtered down to the mass-market public consumption of video games too.

This is to say it is common for game players to have a wrong conception of games and their operation. To overthink or wrongly state a game's design to the purpose of their views. Some who may not like shooting games might indeed say, "Doom is all shooting the same stuff" and be kinda right in a certain sense, but some Doom-nut might wax on about all the gameplay elements of firing a plasma gun or whatever.

A few years ago there was a good Extra Credit video about this but I don't know if that still exists honestly. Anywho, what I am saying is that gameplay does not expressly need to be varied, interesting, challenging, or anything other than the interface. To a large degree, it is purely interfacing with X/Y/Z systems that makes a game a game.

The repetitiveness or lack of variety in the content of NW is neither a boon nor bust except personally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    NO WPVP as they promised. MMO that is about WPVP and 90% players opt out... cmon
    WPVP isn't WPVP. It's ganking. There's nothing fun about ganking unless you're the one doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I really wish people would stop using time as the metric by which they measure a game. Sure, I could watch the same movie 100 times too, but I probably shouldn't say "The Matrix is 200 hours of content."

Granted, a lot of it is just a question of what each person enjoys and that's fine. I'm just saying that a game "taking a long time" isn't inherently a positive thing.
    If you go to the NW subreddit they will say it should take 200 hours to finish one watch through of The Matrix. Anything faster means you're a sweaty nerd who needs to go outside.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Nevertheless, the length of a game - or how much time the game lets you just stay logged in running around - isn't a great metric to use as the sole determination of how much "value" you'll get out of it.
    Never said it was. I specifically and consistently argued against the notion.

Making Cheetahmen 2 longer doesn't make it a better game, and marketing it as "60 hours of gameplay!" wouldn't be an indication of an increase in value in and of itself.
    Better game is irrelevant. I would never argue or discuss such a thing. However, gameplay IS gameplay regardless of the type or your engagement with it.

I'm simply saying that the length of a game isn't a good way to measure the value of a game in and of itself.
    I was in fact agreeing with you on this point. Just not on the idea certain types of gameplay are valid and other types less valid.

If the game consists of standing in place pressing one button for 80 hours to reach level 60, for example, that is indeed 80 hours of gameplay. It would likely be terrible, to be frank. But they can still say it is a valid 80- hours of gameplay regardless of who actually would enjoy that experience.

"Yea, but the gameplay is all repetitive quests and it's not really 40 hours of gameplay." is just as wrongheaded as someone saying "This is just 40 hours of shooting things over & over, not really 40 hours of gameplay." in another game.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-10-19 at 10:49 PM.

It is 200 hours of repetitive game play. It is great you are enjoying it but lets not pretend that New World offers actual hours of game play here. It is all kill or loot chests. The story that exists isn't that compelling and the zone quests are low in number or don't even line up very well with all the other stories.
    No more repetitive than any other game, all you do in WoW is the same content over and over, most players dont care about the story in any game, if you want a good story play SWTOR otherwise all other games story are just there and not interesting in the slightest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Walking takes a long time
    There is plenty walking in other MMOs
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Yeah sure okay? You're going to act like this game doesn't have a ridiculous amount of walking around in it? It's well-earned it's title of ''walking simulator" lol.

Note I'm not trying to bash the game I very much enjoy it, but too many quests are 'walk 1km this way, loot 3 chests, walk 1km back to turn in. Now walk 2km to next quest'.
    Yeah I enjoy it when I'm playing with a friend and we play casually and do the quests and farm named spawns for interesting loot. The walking simulator is painfully true though. But to say 'plenty of walking in other MMOs' is pretty damn funny from them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    No more repetitive than any other game, all you do in WoW is the same content over and over, most players dont care about the story in any game, if you want a good story play SWTOR otherwise all other games story are just there and not interesting in the slightest.
    Sure every game is repetitive but usually you have to "basic" everything down to the same tasks because they have variety or stories contained to the zone and stuff. New World doesn't really have any of that and is already at the basic state. Like I said there is nothing wrong with enjoying it or finding yourself spending lots of time in the game. People spend 300+ hours in Skyrim while others spend 30. Some spend 1,000 hours in No Man's Sky while others spend 10. It all depends what you are currently enjoying for whatever reason and how long it keeps you entertained.

But we should also be a little realistic and that the game isn't providing that content so much as the player is by continuing to find enjoyment for whatever reason and it is still within the first month of release so a lot of this could be tainted by the "honeymoon" effect.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't mind the walking, I constantly stumble across iron veins or other things to harvest and sell or use to level professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I honestly don't mind the walking, I constantly stumble across iron veins or other things to harvest and sell or use to level professions.
    This. I won't say that all the time, there are definitely times when I know I have a slog ahead of me. But I usually find that I don't particularly mind it because of the resources you can stumble across along the way.

Plus it's pretty ideal for dual-monitor gaming for those long hikes.

It's pretty annoying how some people in this thread are hellbent on just arguing with anyone who says they enjoy the game. Like, don't you have anything better to do than to return here *consistently* to tell people "no this thing you like is bad and you are mistaken"? I get not fanboying over it but holy shit... if you dislike New World that much, go away.

I leveled with pvp enabled all the time and I barely saw anyone pvp tagged but now that I'm leveling professions it has become clear to me they need to do something about it.

I feel like it doesn't make much sense and it goes around the whole nature of the game to go around stealing resources in other faction's territories with no way they can do anything about it.

I understand people just want to farm in peace. Well so do I, I don't want to deal with 3-4 syndicate and marauder players stealing all the resources in a territory my faction controls and all I can say is 'good morning'.

An easy fix for this would be to make it so you need to be pvp flagged to gather resources in other faction's controlled territories. It would be yet another incentive to pvp and choose the right wars. If you had the zone you could farm all you wanted without tagging. Because, let's be real. As a level 60 there's 0 incentive to enable pvp

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    It's pretty annoying how some people in this thread are hellbent on just arguing with anyone who says they enjoy the game. Like, don't you have anything better to do than to return here *consistently* to tell people "no this thing you like is bad and you are mistaken"? I get not fanboying over it but holy shit... if you dislike New World that much, go away.
    No and it's pretty revealing that they spend more time writting this petty hate than your average player that enjoys the game actually spends playing it.

Especially those that do the exact opposite on game threads that in general are probamatic. It's almost as if they're just being contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    This is how I go about it too. I play in a 'let me wander around' fashion in NW because I think the game world is fairly pleasant.

NW would be too tedious if I played point to point as in other MMOs I did that a few times in NW during the testing phases and it was not that compelling to me.

For release, I decided to just kick back and play a hour or so here & there. I didn't even progress out of the starter zones till nearly level 40, IIRC.

There is tons of stuff I haven't even done in the other starter zones and level 40+ zones. I was only in Cleave a few times, for example. I dipped a toe in Shattered a couple of times for materials. Yet I am at max level just the same.

I also think these zones are kinda small in reality. If you know how to get around you can end up miles away in just a few minutes.

I went out to kill Scratchy from Morningdale, ended up in western Windsward killing Bison. Saw a few rifts south of that and kept going till I was killing pirates in NE First Light.

Followed a good ore loop out of the pirate camp in first light that stretched past some ruins and into southern Cutlass near the fort. As I headed back up the coast I was already literally half the world map from where I set out in about an hour of playing.

Not a single teleport was used. I was just wandering about. It was fun.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-10-20 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    I agree you shouldn't tell someone who is enjoying the game they are wrong, that makes no sense. But at the same time the reason people are upset is that they can see the game has potential and design decisions have let it down. It's in our interest for the game to get better as it's B2P and we've all paid, so if the game gets better then that's a win/win for everyone.

So a what yellow material are the coins made out of then? The currency of WoW is still coins. It isn't gold copper, silver copper. New World doesn't say they are gold coins but they still picked "yellow" for the icon color and the link is clear. Is it referred to as coin by the game? Yes. Do many players call it gold? Sure and there is nothing wrong with that based on the presentation of the game.
    A lot of people look at the horizon and based on the information that their eyes give could say that the world is flat. Doesn't make them right. The currency is specifically called coin. Calling it gold just makes you wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    oh look, its another wednesday. it means weekly server shutdown during the day for the EU for the maintenance. how fun
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    oh look, its another wednesday. it means weekly server shutdown during the day for the EU for the maintenance. how fun
    The most shocking part is that it somehow still surprises you.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

maintenance over already
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    luckily today it took them only 5 (five) hours
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC