10+ Year Old Account
    A new study using CDC data for the USA shows some sobering info.

1) Men are 1.6x more likely to be die than women
    2) Among middle-aged men, African-Americans and Latinos are about six times more likely to die than their white counterparts

The study mentions a few other things, but for the record, I don't think the virus is inherently racist or sexist. This is the USA. Men are more likely to work than women. Poor people are more likely to have at-risk jobs than richer people, and in the USA, African-Americans and Latinos are more likely to be poor. Like, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    A new study using CDC data for the USA shows some sobering info.

1) Men are 1.6x more likely to be die than women
    2) Among middle-aged men, African-Americans and Latinos are about six times more likely to die than their white counterparts

The study mentions a few other things, but for the record, I don't think the virus is inherently racist or sexist. This is the USA. Men are more likely to work than women. Poor people are more likely to have at-risk jobs than richer people, and in the USA, African-Americans and Latinos are more likely to be poor. Like, a lot.
    It is the same study that shows that urban areas with more green cover have less Covid. Duh! Maybe because urban areas with more green cover tend to be more affluent?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Maybe because urban areas with more green cover tend to be more affluent?
    And more spread out. Double whammy. Yeah, everyone here is familiar with correllation and causation, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And more spread out. Double whammy. Yeah, everyone here is familiar with correllation and causation, I hope.
    Nah! All the green color scared the covid virus away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possible mutation over Delta being investigated in the UK.
    https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/...5Es1_&ref_url=

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Possible mutation over Delta being investigated in the UK.
    https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Lets hope the mutation isn't anything to worry about, but things are not looking great here in the UK again with numbers going up:
    Get Covid jab or restrictions more likely, Sajid Javid says
    If not enough people get vaccinated, it is more likely restrictions will be reintroduced in England, the health secretary has said.

Sajid Javid said he did not believe the current pressures on the NHS were unsustainable.

He added that the government would not be bringing in its Plan B measures, which include mandatory face coverings and working from home, "at this point".

But he warned cases could rise to 100,000 a day.

NHS leaders have said some restrictions must immediately be reintroduced if England is to avoid "stumbling into a winter crisis".
    I'm at high risk from Covid and got the booster last week, I hope the new mutation isn't anything of concern, as the idea of being stuck at home again isn't appealing at all! but I take what Javid says with a very large pinch of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Lets hope the mutation isn't anything to worry about, but things are not looking great here in the UK again with numbers going up:
    Things aren't looking good in a lot of places. The situation on the Baltic (Estonia, Latvia and Lituania) is overwhelming. It isn't good near the Black sea (Romania and Ucraine). But then i look to Russia and compare it with the UK, they having like 20% less daily cases with 5 times the amount of deaths.

This to say vaccines are working. Also i don't see BoJo implementing a new lockdown, unless the NHS is failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I'm at high risk from Covid and got the booster last week, I hope the new mutation isn't anything of concern, as the idea of being stuck at home again isn't appealing at all! but I take what Javid says with a very large pinch of salt.
    No one likes it, lets keep faith in vaccines.

EDIT:
    BoJo was a skeptical before he got covid, and even after he always choosed to route of the full economy opening. I really don't see him implementing a new lockdown.
    Last edited by Tuor; 2021-10-20 at 06:31 PM.

San Francisco just transitioned into the CDC moderate transmission level. Five out of 9 Bay Area counties are now moderate (Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda). Including Monterey and Orange, seven counties in California are now in moderate level. Santa Clara and Sonoma are close. None of the others are within striking range unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

FDA authorizes Moderna and Johnson & Johnson boosters and says people can get a shot different from their original dose

Good. My wife can get her booster shot now. I should be able to get mine soon.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-10-20 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    But then i look to Russia and compare it with the UK, they having like 20% less daily cases with 5 times the amount of deaths.

This to say vaccines are working.
    I'm surprised these stats arent being publicised more (as in social media etc to combat anti vax). If you ever needed to see the power of the vaccine you just need to compare the UK to Russia. They're my go to stats for friends and family who are still unsure.

Russia has a 7 day average of 30k cases and 950 deaths (and most Russians who are allowed to talk think this is a large undercount)

UK has a 7 day average of 45k cases and 130 deaths

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Russia has a 7 day average of 30k cases and 950 deaths (and most Russians who are allowed to talk think this is a large undercount)
    What, lol, just because it's estimated that Russia's "official" total is only about a quarter of the actual COVID deaths?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

California Accounts for 12% of U.S. Students, but Only 1% of Covid School Closures

Of the 2,321 nationwide school closures since August because of Covid-19, about 1 percent have been in California — even though the state accounts for 12 percent of the nation’s K-12 students, according to data from Burbio, a technology company that monitors outbreaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    And things continue on a path to hell while our drunk bankrupt farmer fucks around.

Notes on this graphic: Our normal ICU capacity is 76. They're attempting to raise that to 130, though information on how successful they are being is unavailable.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

And today in, "Do masks, social distancing, and vaccines work? Yes, yes they do."

I think SF is still at 0 closures?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And today in, "Do masks, social distancing, and vaccines work? Yes, yes they do."

I think SF is still at 0 closures?
    Yes. Only 30 positive tests as of 10/15/2021. Not bad for a school district with 63k students and staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our C19 task force lead has indicated that there will be another booster wave, as in 4th shot. So get ready for another one in half a year or so.

To be honest I would not be surprised if we don't have to get them for the rest of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Our C19 task force lead has indicated that there will be another booster wave, as in 4th shot. So get ready for another one in half a year or so.
    Any specific reason? So far we are not seeing any increases in case, hospitalization and mortality numbers. Vaccination in San Francisco peaked around April, and the rate has been dropping since then. More than three quarter of the currently fully vaccinated San Franciscans were fully vaccinated by the end of April. The number of cases and hospitalization peaked in mid-August and has been going down since then. It is still going down. It appears that the vaccines protection is not weakening. At least against the Delta variant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Any specific reason? So far we are not seeing any increases in case, hospitalization and mortality numbers. Vaccination in San Francisco peaked around April, and the rate has been dropping since then. More than three quarter of the currently fully vaccinated San Franciscans were fully vaccinated by the end of April. The number of cases and hospitalization peaked in mid-August and has been going down since then. It is still going down. It appears that the vaccines protection is not weakening. At least against the Delta variant.
    Just because Israel does it doesn't mean that the rest of the world will automatically follow suit. It's way too early to be talking about a 4th shot. That decision can easily wait until we see what the winter holds in store.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Just because Israel does it doesn't mean that the rest of the world will automatically follow suit. It's way too early to be talking about a 4th shot. That decision can easily wait until we see what the winter holds in store.
    You may say that, but you will.

If there is anyone who knows what will be next it's Professor Ash - he's the one who said this about the current booster too, of all people - he actually has the data, because he's actual C19 Commissioner here and leads the vaccination efforts.

If he says there will be 4th vaccination - there will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

If he says there will be 4th vaccination - there will be.
    That is like saying ''If it is on the Bible then it must be true''. Ridiculus...