Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not loving the Whitecloaks look. Jordan was pretty picky about details, which the costume designers seem to have glossed over entirely in this case. They look pretty, instead of a formidable, imposing fighting force.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    An article came out with a picture of the Whitecloaks and, yeah, they look terrible. Nothing at all like depicted in the books. They look more like some weird Star Wars cosplay.
    They look like a bunch of hood-less wannabe Klansmen, where's the freaking sun emblems and armor? Also, why do half the guys in that god damn picture have dusters and side cropped/undercut hair styles? Can we not with the fad hairstyles of current day? This shit is fantasy, not the real world for crying out loud.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    They can't go one moment with mentioning something as progressive. The only thing "progressive" is that the reigns of power in this world are held primarily by women.
    This is what happens when you hire woke idiots to be show runners. I have zero faith that this show will be at all faithful to the main cast and will try and stroke the progressive cock at every opportunity. Considering the trailers have already proven the point that this show will not be focused on the main three characters, it's going to suck ass.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I misheard it or not, but on the latest Moiraine 'teaser' she referred to the Dragon Reborn as 'they' and the images that followed were of Mat, Rand, Perrin and Egwene as if any one of them could be the Dragon Reborn. I'm not OK with this. It was clear that the Dragon was male, it was a major plot point that the Dragon Reborn was male and that male channelers go mad. Egwene had her own destiny, I sincerely hope they aren't going down the road that she might be the 'chosen one' too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I don't know if I misheard it or not, but on the latest Moiraine 'teaser' she referred to the Dragon Reborn as 'they' and the images that followed were of Mat, Rand, Perrin and Egwene as if any one of them could be the Dragon Reborn. I'm not OK with this. It was clear that the Dragon was male, it was a major plot point that the Dragon Reborn was male and that male channelers go mad. Egwene had her own destiny, I sincerely hope they aren't going down the road that she might be the 'chosen one' too.
    I certainly hope so too. To have Egwene in the running for this alters the story considerably, and the whole structure, tone set up - is it necessary?

Egwene had an amazing destiny, and it was clear too. Also in this world, women were in charge because of their abilities, they don't need to "alter" the story line to make it more pro-female, it already was, it was one of the cool things about this.. I don't think any woman reading WoT felt terrible, or second rate. I enjoyed the sections focusing on Egwene, Elayne, Nynaeve etc as much as I enjoyed those on Rand, Matt and Perrin

If this change happens, it would be clear evidence of a serious problem with males having anything unique... like erm.. no we can't have that, and that's not equality, it's equity, it's sameness

7+ Year Old Account
    I would say it is not necessary to have Egwene up front and centre as a contender for the Dragon Reborn. As you rightly say, it actually changes the dynamic and a lot of what made the Wheel of Time popular. I hope I have misheard/misunderstood the trailer.

As a woman, I loved the story. The different way cultures viewed men and women -and their relationships. I felt empowered by the story, there are complaints from some quarters about the way Jordan wrote women -I personally disagree with most of them. I thought he captured the essence of how groups of women interact when put together pretty well. He got down the positives and the negatives for both sexes in my opinion.

I would say it is not necessary to have Egwene up front and centre as a contender for the Dragon Reborn. As you rightly say, it actually changes the dynamic and a lot of what made the Wheel of Time popular. I hope I have misheard/misunderstood the trailer.

As a woman, I loved the story. The different way cultures viewed men and women -and their relationships. I felt empowered by the story, there are complaints from some quarters about the way Jordan wrote women -I personally disagree with most of them. I thought he captured the essence of how groups of women interact when put together pretty well. He got down the positives and the negatives for both sexes in my opinion.
    Thank you for that. I loved his book particularly because of how he wrote it all.

I found two rivers women, very much like my home town in the UK, women aren't suppressed or silently meek, The women's circle understood who was in charge, whether the men felt so or not. I loved the tongue in cheek humour, it reminds me of the women in my life who are strong, independent and will let you have an ear full, or smack if you were out of line.

It was very different from the other fantasy stories, and I liked that about it. I may be male but I think the story as is was brilliant, and what they need to focus on is bringing that spirit, the vibe of what Jordan was conveying into the series. Along with great special effects, scripts and showing the fantasy.

They don't need to try and gender/race / sexuality swap anything. I'm even cool about sexual orientation swaps in places where it makes sense and was hinted, though not explicitly shown.. e.g. the Red Ajah and there can be other characters along the way, that might be bi, cultures even where that's really a thing, but also you have to show cultures where it is not.. because that is part of real life.. not every where is the same, not every where follows my narrative, and you just don't paint over what any author is trying to do /say because you don't agree.. especially in a fantasy world where an author has actually catered for diversity - different ethnicities, empowering roles for males and females etc

I'm bi, I don't need to have every show changed to have gay representation to e happy. I 'm glad that a lot of shows have this, but some stories like LotR and WoT are fine the way they are, and I'll welcome new stories that have prominent or main lead characters that reflect me, just as fine as I am with those that do not, as long as it's a good story and I'm entertained.

The way Jordan wrote his stuff worked, And it worked well, these guys when they tamper things and change things almost always spoil them and make them worse, and it's not necessary..at least not for making any political or social engineering statement. At least that's my opinion.

I'm also aware that sometimes people make too much fuss over the slightest change and exaggerate the social war by moaning about the slightest race/gender/orientation swaps when actually I've watched the stuff and still pretty enjoyed it regardless. In some cases, it's marketing just trying to appease the woke crowd rather than the content necessarily being significantly altered. But, sometimes the content has been significantly altered and the story ruined too just to appease or pander, so you never really know what you will get until you get it.

Egwene as a potential Dragon?
    If this is the case then it just became garbage. An all important part of the background has always been this gender orientation. The One power is two halfs; male and female. Because male channelers go insane, the entire world structure is female oriented...with female channelers ("Aes Sedai") holding the most power under the White Tower.
    In general society is pretty much sexist...against men. The events that occur in book 6 hit extremely hard because of this. "Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon," he said softly, "or you will be knelt."'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Egwene as a potential Dragon?
    If this is the case then it just became garbage. An all important part of the background has always been this gender orientation. The One power is two halfs; male and female. Because male channelers go insane, the entire world structure is female oriented...with female channelers ("Aes Sedai") holding the most power under the White Tower.
    In general society is pretty much sexist...against men. The events that occur in book 6 hit extremely hard because of this. "Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon," he said softly, "or you will be knelt."'
    There is noway they would change the dragon to be Egwene or any other of the characters because that would pretty much change the whole story so much it would become a new story in and of itself. I did feel that when i read the series for the first time it wasnt CLEAR that it was Rand even if much of the first book was focused on him. But i never felt it was any chance it would be Egwene either. When Moraine says "they" i think she means the boys. That Egwene was brought along was more because she was sensitive to the one power and would eventually need to go to the tower anyways.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    There is noway they would change the dragon to be Egwene or any other of the characters because that would pretty much change the whole story so much it would become a new story in and of itself. I did feel that when i read the series for the first time it wasnt CLEAR that it was Rand even if much of the first book was focused on him. But i never felt it was any chance it would be Egwene either. When Moraine says "they" i think she means the boys. That Egwene was brought along was more because she was sensitive to the one power and would eventually need to go to the tower anyways.
    I don't think they are changing it so that Egwene IS the dragon. The possibility that they are looking to her as a potential dragon worries me. The possibility of a female dragon changes a good chunk of the lore AND potentially a good chunk of the cultures. It might be the editing of the trailer, -I sincerely hope that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    They look like a bunch of hood-less wannabe Klansmen, where's the freaking sun emblems and armor? Also, why do half the guys in that god damn picture have dusters and side cropped/undercut hair styles? Can we not with the fad hairstyles of current day? This shit is fantasy, not the real world for crying out loud.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what happens when you hire woke idiots to be show runners. I have zero faith that this show will be at all faithful to the main cast and will try and stroke the progressive cock at every opportunity. Considering the trailers have already proven the point that this show will not be focused on the main three characters, it's going to suck ass.
    I think that the focus on Moraine is because in the first cpl books she has a lot of place. Further i think it will change more and more and focus on the other people(Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene and Nynaeve) and other aswell that becomes more prominent in later books.

I don't think they are changing it so that Egwene IS the dragon. The possibility that they are looking to her as a potential dragon worries me. The possibility of a female dragon changes a good chunk of the lore AND potentially a good chunk of the cultures. It might be the editing of the trailer, -I sincerely hope that is the case.
    Yes, and worries me too, because even that change, changes the dynamic significantly.

While I appreciate you say you may be mistaken about what you heard, (which I hope is the case), if it actually turns out to be true, again I feel it's destroying part of the charm of the entire series and the fundamental things it is based on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    I think that the focus on Moraine is because in the first cpl books she has a lot of place. Further i think it will change more and more and focus on the other people(Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene and Nynaeve) and other as well that becomes more prominent in later books.
    Yes, focus does switch a lot between the 5 characters, Although Rand turns out to be the Dragon Reborn (which part of the whole mystery of the Eye of the World is that we don't know which of the 3 of the boys is, and regardless, they all 3 have great destinies tied together and requiring each other.

Moiraine, Egwene, Nynaeve etc all have significant roles and the focus does switch to them significantly in some of the other books, wasn't Rand like pretty much absent for 2 books at one point in time. All this happens without changing the story or needing to make Egwene a potential dragon reborn candidate.

But these guys are funny, they are so arrogant sometimes, they think creative suggestion they make is amazing and better than someone's life work they spent thousands of hours crafting together.. and they can waltz in and wave their want and change this and that and it would be amazing.

Or more likely, they don't give a shit and are catering to metrics , opinion polls, trends and make changes for that rather than actual quality or authenticity.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the awful stuff that Rand has to deal with being the pivotal character, one wouldn't wish that arduous and often torturous existence that he has. There'd be a riot from the fandom if they tried to swap characters roles around all for the sake of wokeness nonsense. Honestly, the series isn't for casual fantasy fans and frankly the people this show should be catering to are the fans, while still making it approachable enough for non-fans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Considering the awful stuff that Rand has to deal with being the pivotal character, one wouldn't wish that arduous and often torturous existence that he has. There'd be a riot from the fandom if they tried to swap characters roles around all for the sake of wokeness nonsense. Honestly, the series isn't for casual fantasy fans and frankly the people this show should be catering to are the fans, while still making it approachable enough for non-fans.
    As I said, I don't think they have swapped the roles. However, the implication in the teaser was that any of the four could be the Dragon Reborn. I'm getting this from Moiraine referring to the Dragon Reborn as 'they' instead of 'he' followed by images of Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene. Using 'they' as the plural makes no sense, she knows that she is looking for one boy born in a specific area within a specific timeframe. Even the implication that Egwene could be the Dragon they are looking for is too much of a change to the story for me.

It might be that they are using it as a hook to get non book readers in, thinking the possibility of a female 'Dragon Reborn' (-which sounds pretty cool) will reel in people wanting a female protagonist leading the charge against the Dark One. That however, is not the story.

As I said, I don't think they have swapped the roles. However, the implication in the teaser was that any of the four could be the Dragon Reborn. I'm getting this from Moiraine referring to the Dragon Reborn as 'they' instead of 'he' followed by images of Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene. Using 'they' as the plural makes no sense, she knows that she is looking for one boy born in a specific area within a specific timeframe. Even the implication that Egwene could be the Dragon they are looking for is too much of a change to the story for me.

It might be that they are using it as a hook to get non book readers in, thinking the possibility of a female 'Dragon Reborn' (-which sounds pretty cool) will reel in people wanting a female protagonist leading the charge against the Dark One. That however, is not the story.
    OH, as if to say it's not good for the Dragon REborn to only be male?

What is wrong with these people.. yet it's fine for Ae Sedai to only be female... gender distinction is an important part of the way the one power works, and that's okay, it doesn't need to be changed, because that is not htis fantasy's story. Jordan even ahs gender swaps later on when we see a female channelling Saidin and a male saidar - he does that diversity incorporated into the story.. don't need to make the Dragon REborn potentially female also because people might get offended for something to be male only if it turns out not being a total disaster. . It's crazy this.

It feels totally un-necessary and ruinous.

It might be that they are using it as a hook to get non book readers in, thinking the possibility of a female 'Dragon Reborn' (-which sounds pretty cool) will reel in people wanting a female protagonist leading the charge against the Dark One.
    DAENERYS THE DRAGON QUEEN IS REBORN!!!111 ....omg

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    DAENERYS THE DRAGON QUEEN IS REBORN!!!111 ....omg
    They should call it the Wheel of Thrones and say based on the Wheel of Tine and Game of Thrones.

Another alternative was to just tell a totally different story in the same world. Maybe do it in the Age of Legends or another point in the Wheel of time

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    New trailer tomorrow

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/s...595957761?s=21

Our heroes have been called forth to rally and join us tomorrow at 9:00am PT for the official trailer debut for #TheWheelOfTime

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole Egwene being a possible dragon would be a hilarious.

Essentially it'd be people trying to make an already female dominated world even more female.

Oh I so look forward to seeing how this show portrays the contest of power between all the major female entities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    The whole Egwene being a possible dragon would be a hilarious.

Essentially it'd be people trying to make an already female dominated world even more female.

Oh I so look forward to seeing how this show portrays the contest of power between all the major female entities.
    Yea the books were already very socially charged, and they kind of lean away from Rand to the female characters the more the books go on, I don't see it being a good decision to make this change if it is true. I hope it isn't.. it would be stupid and would really change the structure of the concept.

I have already been very sceptical about the show, I am not worried too much about it being a bad adaptation because the best adaption has already been played out in my head when I read all the books
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Pushing the idea that Egwene might be The Dragon Reborn won't end well. The purists will point out that it is too much a deviation from the books while the perpetually outraged who have never read the books and doubtfully care enough to watch the show will complain that the male was chosen over the female to be the hero again. You can already see the headlines on that one.