Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's funny how they can't substantiate their position about these cosmetic changes without launching into a tirade that reveals highly reactionary social and political beliefs.

If it were not for the context in which these changes were taking place, they probably wouldn't care. I suspect people facing consequences for saying disgusting things in a group chat hits a little too close to home.
    without the context of what's happening at blizzard these changes wouldn't be happening at all... yeah, just really cannot help but be upset over creeps being kicked to the curb for some reason...

He'll always be McCree to me. I didn't even know he was even named after a Blizzard employee until it was pointed out.

It's funny how they can't substantiate their position about these cosmetic changes without launching into a tirade that reveals highly reactionary social and political beliefs.

If it were not for the context in which these changes were taking place, they probably wouldn't care. I suspect people facing consequences for saying disgusting things in a group chat or helping contribute to a toxic work environment hits a little too close to home. It's not that there's nothing wrong with it, to them, it's that they psychologically have to tell themselves that it isn't wrong or else that would force them to reevaluate their behavior and complicity. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.
    You don't see how whitewashing someones name from their work is reactionary? The irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    You don't see how whitewashing someones name from their work is reactionary?
    No dude, "reactionary" has a specific definition and does not just mean 'a stance that is a reaction to something'.

Then again, you keep using "whitewashing" incorrectly as well, so... (Hint: It is not a direct synonym for 'censorship')
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-10-22 at 10:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The funny thing is that the people complaining that "Butch Cassidy was a murderer and a thief" don't actually give a shit about characters in their media being named after bad people.

It's literally grasping at straws to try and rationalize being butthurt that a group they dislike is (apparently) being catered to, that's all. And what is rationalization, after all, but an attempt to make our feelings contagious?
    That's not what people are saying. They are saying if you feel you need to change a name because the person they are named after did something you don't like or was really bad don't fucking rename it after someone a thousand times worse. You own the Washington Redskins and feel the name is offensive and so want to change it that's fine go ahead and do so, just don't change it to someone worse like Washington Subhuman Savages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    That's not what people are saying. They are saying if you feel you need to change a name because the person they are named after did something you don't like or was really bad don't fucking rename it after someone a thousand times worse.
    The answer to which is, again, temporal proximity is a factor. I wasn't aware that Butch Cassidy was a developer at Blizzard or that his actions had lasting systemic consequences that are still being felt by people in the present day.

Context. *jazz hands* And again, it's immaterial since you don't actually give a shit about what Cassidy did anyway and wouldn't care if he had a namesake were it not for the fact this is occurring in the context it is.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

That's not what people are saying. They are saying if you feel you need to change a name because the person they are named after did something you don't like or was really bad don't fucking rename it after someone a thousand times worse. You own the Washington Redskins and feel the name is offensive and so want to change it that's fine go ahead and do so, just don't change it to someone worse like Washington Subhuman Savages.
    my god then they really should never name any characters after any historical figures ever again...

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the group being catered to in this instance is.... not sex pests...
    Can people stop using the term Sex pests? It's so hilariously childish sounding that any conversation about this loses all seriousness.

10+ Year Old Account
    my god then they really should never name any characters after any historical figures ever again...
    I love being told that it's wrong to ask for diversity in video games because artistic integrity but it's fine to scream to high heaven if said artists make a unilateral decision that certain people dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Can people stop using the term Sex pests? It's so hilariously childish sounding that any conversation about this loses all seriousness.
    Stop hiring and rewarding sex pests in the video game industry and there won't be a need to use the term. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    why? it's easier to type out than "serial sexual harassers".

How dense are you? Can you not read? I'll say it again. It's not about naming a character after someone bad it's about renaming a character to someone worse.

Naming a character after someone "bad" is fine. Renaming a character you own that you find problematic for one reason or another is fine as long as you don't rename them after someone a thousand times worse than the original person because you then lose any moral justification for the change.

No dude, "reactionary" has a specific definition and does not just mean 'a stance that is a reaction to something'.

Then again, you keep using "whitewashing" incorrectly as well, so... (Hint: It is not a direct synonym for 'censorship')
    Reactionary isn't tied to only one set of political beliefs. And whitewashing is exactly what they are doing by combing their entire library of games of references that people like you find "offensive." Mind you these games have a rating system. And if you can't handle them then try one that caters to a more immature audience.

How dense are you? Can you not read? I'll say it again. It's not about naming a character after someone bad it's about renaming a character to someone worse.

Naming a character after someone "bad" is fine. Renaming a character you own that you find problematic for one reason or another is fine as long as you don't rename them after someone a thousand times worse than the original person otherwise you lose any moral justification for the change.
    what is the metric for this? how can you much less anyone else decide what an acceptable name to use for a fictional character? and as elegalic pointed out, ya'll don't actually care about the name change but just the name being changed at all....

10+ Year Old Account
    Reactionary isn't tied to only one set of political beliefs.
    It tends to be since certain political beliefs are intrinsically tied in with "return to a glorious past", actually. And the people you are complaining about most certainly do not want to return to said "glorious past". You're using the term wrong.

And whitewashing is exactly what they are doing by combing their entire library of games of references that people like you find "offensive."
    Considering it's not an effort to cover up evidence of crimes, it is not by definition whitewashing. Again, you're using the term wrong.

Mind you these games have a rating system. And if you can't handle them then try one that caters to a more immature audience.
    You keep insisting that I support all of these changes without actually providing any evidence of that claim. Funny that.

yes? like, being a criminal who robs rich people is something to aspire to.
    Robbed and murdered. Don't forget the murder, the murder is the more objectionable thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    what is the metric for this? how can you much less anyone else decide what an acceptable name to use for a fictional character? and as elegalic pointed out, ya'll don't actually care about the name change but just the name being changed at all....
    They wouldn't care if the name was changed, period, if were not in a context that steps on the toes of the reactionary sector of gamer culture.

This is why I don't call myself a gamer despite being an avid consumer of video games. I don't want to be associated with such degeneracy.

Robbed and murdered. Don't forget the murder, the murder is the more objectionable thing.
    better not name your kid Alex after Alexander the great then...

Why does anyone care about this? Are you really trying to defend what is essentially a monument to a rapey creepy dude?

Maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

It tends to be since certain political beliefs are intrinsically tied in with "return to a glorious past", actually. And the people you are complaining about most certainly do not want to return to said "glorious past". You're using the term wrong.

Considering it's not an effort to cover up evidence of crimes, it is not by definition whitewashing. Again, you're using the term wrong.

You keep insisting that I support all of these changes without actually providing any evidence of that claim. Funny that.
    Yeah they do, Blizzard wants to have the respect of their past back. But the people complaining want to have their glorious safe space back that blizzard stole, apparently.

You're right no crime was committed, so i agree. But blizzard is doing it to whitewash their catalog of supposed crimes.

Well, if you didn't support the changes you wouldn't be here defending them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why does anyone care about this? Are you really trying to defend what is essentially a monument to a rapey creepy dude?

Maybe you should take a look in the mirror.
    Rapey creepy is not has bad as violenty murdery actually dudes.

And this is a forum to discuss the game and the op. So this would be the place to talk about it.

Yeah they do, Blizzard wants to have the respect of their past back. But the people complaining want to have their glorious safe space back that blizzard stole, apparently.
    dude have you seen ANY of these so called SJW's outside of blizzard even... commenting on these changes??? no one gives a shit. the only people who insist on talking about this beyond pointing out this does NOTHING to change the work environment at Blizzard are the people who don't want their precious video games changed even in the slightest. AKA.... a safe space...