The devs are wayyyyy to quiet on this games future.

Makes me not want to put time into it.

1) Shows the devs suck at communicating with their community. Never a good sign.
    2) I don't want to invest time into an MMO unless I trust the people making it. I don't want to build a character up to play future content that sucks.

I'm really not digging the the silence on future plans.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post

1) Shows the devs suck at communicating with their community. Never a good sign.
    2) I don't want to invest time into an MMO unless I trust the people making it. I don't want to build a character up to play future content that sucks.

What future plans are we talking about? Expansions, or just upcoming patches? Because the game has barely been out a month.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I really enjoyed New World for the first 30ish levels, then it bogged down for me. I got into a combat routine, killed most things without a lot of hassle, but I still enjoyed it. Somewhere between the 30's and max level I just was a bit bogged down. Max level I was so excited to be able to join the wars and invasions, and nobody ever tried to touch my companies zone. We only had flagged people in Brightwood because they were trying to draw other Covenant members away from other zones, and when my smaller company was the only one to show up nobody really ever came back. Covenant had 2 other territories with bigger companies and better areas, they had full groups and never invited people outside their company for defenses, I almost swapped to Purple but instead just put the game down.

It was fun, I think it was worth the money, but with people having PvP turned off 90% of the time, and those who had it on seemed to be in low level zones looking for new players and a lack of interest in zones that weren't as profitable it has just run its course for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    uh...like what? Older MMO's like EQ1/AC were extremely heavy on the grind
    Did I say ALL or PLENTY?

When I said "only true relatively recently" I meant in a ubiquitous sense. As in I haven't seen a single MMO come out recently that didn't have some ridiculous grind built in. Not one. In the past, there were options.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Did I say ALL or PLENTY?
    But like...what are a few examples? I genuinely can't think of any.

Meh, I might give it a try for a month.

This is where I disagree. This is only true relatively recently. Plenty of examples in other MMOs from the past where things weren't a "time sink" the way everything is in current MMOs. You might have to bridge some gaps with some light grinding for an hour or two at most (wrapping up a level before going to the new zone, making sure you got enough mats to properly level skills if you didn't get enough during the natural flow of gameplay where the quests took you, etc).
    You can disagree all you want but the whole point in a game is to sink time into it, if goals are too easy to obtain then you completed the game and need to find another one to sink your time into, thats a reason why WoW fails to keep players now, it doesnt have anything to keep players playing, the crafting system in this game needs to require alot of effort to max out because thats where the best gear is locked behind and the best crafters will be able to make money once they can craft the weapons everyone wants.

- - - Updated - - -

Its just recently launched and already you want to know whats happening in the future, even blizzard dont say anything about future plans with a recent launched game, seems you have some unrealistic expectations on the dev team.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Not official, but folks have data mined a lot of new maps and weapons not in the game. There are some videos on YT of players who made it to those areas and ran around a bit. There is also some lore in the final areas of the game that point to the datamined stuff.

Like most other majorly funded games, there is likely more stuff coming but the game is still new for the vast majority of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    How do MMOs fair that do not allow alts?
    Alts are such an outdated concept that hurt their own game, modern day MMOs should really be designed around a single character that can switch freely between all different specs or classes.

Just look at WoW and all the crap you have to do and how long it takes to gear up a single character in raid gear. Seeing as WoW doesn't even bother to at least make it easier on your next alt, not many people are willing to double their work just to play another toon. Especially with the way they make everything obsolete with every new raid patch, making you do it all over again. All this ends with many players playing their same old classes and not enjoying the diversity of gameplay the dev's prepared. Gameplay gets older much faster, raids can't have interesting mechanics designed to require a certain classes, and there's a lot less tank/healers. Its honestly moronic game design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    oh god, crafting is so bad (not to mistake with gathering/refining). maxing out a crafting profession to 200 (except for cooking maybe) takes waaay longer than 1-300 in vanilla WoW there, maybe even up to 375 in TBC or whatever it was in wotlk. its just such a slow grindfest, that it begs to be monetized by boosters in the game shop, and whales will buy it no doubt.

NW somehow managed to make crafting even more tedious than runescape.

and why the fuck do mobs respawn so fast? i was killing the lost in restless shore to get to SCURVYHOOK, but ive been getting swarmed by respawns eventhough i was 5 levels higher than them. this shit is ridiculous.
    the entire economy system of new world is fucked, if it's not the coin dupe situation with character transfers, it's the fact that coin is so hard to get in decent quantities after hitting max level that you are literally hoarding money and using items/mats as bargaining items to get other items instead of spending coin, not to mention that grinding some professions takes literally 2-3x more time/effort because of how badly balanced the xp gain for each profession is, especially the gathering professions.

in regards to enemy respawns, yeah, they fucked up on that, i was doing a quest in weavers fen to get some ancient stone samples from the bridge area, i literally killed 2 skeleton guards patrolling the area where one of these stone piles was located, and in the time i killed them, walked the 2 feet to the stone pile and knelt down to interact with it, they were already respawning, fortunately thanks to skill windup times it gave me enough time to collect the sample before his melee attack interrupted me, and i'm ~10 lvls higher than the enemies in this zone, it's just a clusterfuck of a game that had potential but was never fixed properly before being launched.

But like...what are a few examples? I genuinely can't think of any.
    GW2 isn't (wasn't?) what I would call a menial task grinder at all. You got the best gear from doing the hardest content. Same with pre-panda wow.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You can disagree all you want but the whole point in a game is to sink time into it, if goals are too easy to obtain then you completed the game and need to find another one to sink your time into, thats a reason why WoW fails to keep players now
    A few things:

First, I never said GOALS shouldn't take time. I said gear (or specifically, character power progression) shouldn't take a bunch of time doing menial activities that are obviously just designed to waste your time instead of give you enjoyment. No one likes picking berries. They like feeling like they're making progress towards a goal and some idiots are fine selling their soul doing anything to get that sensation, especially if they can't get it in other ways (read: doing hard content).
    Picking berries for 400 hours isn't HARD to do. Anyone who sinks the time can do it. There is 0 chance of failure.

Second, that's because most of the people playing wow don't have the proper goals (i.e. full clear mythic). I also guarantee most of them don't have max or even near max ilvl, so they still have the carrot.

, the crafting system in this game needs to require alot of effort to max out because thats where the best gear is locked behind and the best crafters will be able to make money once they can craft the weapons everyone wants.
    Again, effort doesn't matter to me. Skill does. It takes effort to walk 500 miles, but anyone can make the journey one step at a time. Doesn't make walking fun, either. Make things take time by making them require a degree of skill that takes time to acquire.

There are plenty of things to do to keep players "playing" that don't involve making them treat it like a factory worker/fast food employee's bitch job.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2021-10-23 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I really enjoyed New World for the first 30ish levels, then it bogged down for me. I got into a combat routine, killed most things without a lot of hassle, but I still enjoyed it. Somewhere between the 30's and max level I just was a bit bogged down. Max level I was so excited to be able to join the wars and invasions, and nobody ever tried to touch my companies zone. We only had flagged people in Brightwood because they were trying to draw other Covenant members away from other zones, and when my smaller company was the only one to show up nobody really ever came back. Covenant had 2 other territories with bigger companies and better areas, they had full groups and never invited people outside their company for defenses, I almost swapped to Purple but instead just put the game down.

It was fun, I think it was worth the money, but with people having PvP turned off 90% of the time, and those who had it on seemed to be in low level zones looking for new players and a lack of interest in zones that weren't as profitable it has just run its course for me.
    Yeah.. i thought BfA made it obvious but world pvp is a fad. Players at large just opt out of it if they can.
    Having an mmo based around it is a mistake.

First, I never said GOALS shouldn't take time. I said gear (or specifically, character power progression) shouldn't take a bunch of time doing menial activities that are obviously just designed to waste your time instead of give you enjoyment. No one likes picking berries. They like feeling like they're making progress towards a goal and some idiots are fine selling their soul doing anything to get that sensation, especially if they can't get it in other ways (read: doing hard content).
    Picking berries for 400 hours isn't HARD to do. Anyone who sinks the time can do it. There is 0 chance of failure.

Second, that's because most of the people playing wow don't have the proper goals (i.e. full clear mythic). I also guarantee most of them don't have max or even near max ilvl, so they still have the carrot.

Again, effort doesn't matter to me. Skill does. It takes effort to walk 500 miles, but anyone can make the journey one step at a time. Doesn't make walking fun, either. Make things take time by making them require a degree of skill that takes time to acquire.

There are plenty of things to do to keep players "playing" that don't involve making them treat it like a factory worker/fast food employee's bitch job.
    In an MMO it should take several months to get the best gear, you shouldnt be handed it like in WoW so easily and quickly, if you dont like how the gameplay is in NW then dont play it, getting the best gear in NW is not something that is needed. WoWs content is cleared in a week in most cases, doesnt matter if only a small percentage of players do it, what matters is the content is complete that fast, full clear mythic is not hard, what is hard is finding players who can actually learn at a reasonable rate.

The crafting system in NW is a key feature in the game, if you dont like that dont play the game, crafting in NW is important as mythic plus is to WoW, NWs crafting system is one of the best ones i have used, crafting means you get to know the world and where everything is that you need.

In an MMO it should take several months to get the best gear, you shouldnt be handed it like in WoW so easily and quickly, if you dont like how the gameplay is in NW then dont play it, getting the best gear in NW is not something that is needed. WoWs content is cleared in a week in most cases, doesnt matter if only a small percentage of players do it, what matters is the content is complete that fast, full clear mythic is not hard, what is hard is finding players who can actually learn at a reasonable rate.

The crafting system in NW is a key feature in the game, if you dont like that dont play the game, crafting in NW is important as mythic plus is to WoW, NWs crafting system is one of the best ones i have used, crafting means you get to know the world and where everything is that you need.

Tell me how clueless you are about WF raiding without actually saying it. lol....

The zones in WoW are tiny and there is not many of them per expansion and they are not all linked to each other so they can be different zones, hand crafted stuff isnt better when there is not enough content to keep you playing.
    That's just not true at all. The WoW zones are not tiny. The Shadowlands itself are massive, especially Revendreth is on a whole other level. Not many per expansion? There's usually 4-5 (Shadowlands has 5) plus one or two added in content patches. I don't know how this matter for New World. WoW Vanilla at launch had over 30 zones, New World has 14. Up til Shadowlands each new expansion content had a continent with zones that were next to each other and even then the zones were very diverse, just look at Zandalar or Outland for example. Heck even Northrend was very diverse, from a tropical zone to snowy mountains to hills. And handcrafted isn't better when there's not enough content to keep you playing... are you talking about New World now? I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

If you remove mounts from WoW or Guild Wars 2, those zones are as big as the ones in New World. New World zones are by no means bigger than comparable zones from most of the other AAA-MMORPGs. I mean WoW, GW2 and ESO all deliver zones that are more detailed and at least as big as one of your New World zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    What future plans are we talking about? Expansions, or just upcoming patches? Because the game has barely been out a month.
    This doesn't remove the necessity of a roadmap for the players to keep them hooked for the future. At best such roadmap is already made during beta. With the massive problems New World is facing in the last weeks, I fear a roadmap and new content is not on the table at the moment. I mean a huge part of endgame content has been disabled for a longer time than it has been available.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

uh...like what? Older MMO's like EQ1/AC were extremely heavy on the grind, in EQ that's simply how you leveled as quests weren't much of a thing until later, and even then they weren't the primary ways to get XP. You simply grinded shit. Same in UO, lots of grinding to progress different skills etc.

WoW was so notable in that it was the first MMO that really broke away from that in a big way and put a big focus on questing with good item/XP rewards as a primary driver of progression while leveling.

That's not even touching upon older mechanics that extended the grind further like XP loss on death that could straight up de-level you, or needing to do naked corpse runs or find a group to fight to your corpse because it was in the middle of the dungeon and you needed to get all your gear and loot back.
    Hell, in EQ, you basically picked a spot in a zone and camped it to grind out mobs. That is why it had the nicknames of Evergrind and Neverquest. The quests that were in the game were very few and far between.

Corpse runs weren't even the worst part of EQ. It was having to "remember" all of your hotkeys every time you died and had to stare at a book ingame while doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    Tell me how clueless you are about WF raiding without actually saying it. lol....
    Its seems you are the one oblivious because the hardest content in WoW is usually cleared within a week, the only things not cleared in a week are just over tuned fights requiring more gear and thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    That's just not true at all. The WoW zones are not tiny. The Shadowlands itself are massive, especially Revendreth is on a whole other level. Not many per expansion? There's usually 4-5 (Shadowlands has 5) plus one or two added in content patches. I don't know how this matter for New World. WoW Vanilla at launch had over 30 zones, New World has 14. Up til Shadowlands each new expansion content had a continent with zones that were next to each other and even then the zones were very diverse, just look at Zandalar or Outland for example. Heck even Northrend was very diverse, from a tropical zone to snowy mountains to hills. And handcrafted isn't better when there's not enough content to keep you playing... are you talking about New World now? I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

If you remove mounts from WoW or Guild Wars 2, those zones are as big as the ones in New World. New World zones are by no means bigger than comparable zones from most of the other AAA-MMORPGs. I mean WoW, GW2 and ESO all deliver zones that are more detailed and at least as big as one of your New World zones.
    Each zone in WoWs last several expansions are tiny and most dont even have any extra depth bar a few caves and such, even most of revendreth is just for show and only takes 5 mins to get from its 2 furthest points in all zones, the content is also made irrelevant very quickly once you obtain max level. The only content relevant in WoW is the current expansion, the rest of the world in WoW is mostly ignored and pointless, having diverse changing landscapes in a small world doesnt actually mean its actually a good idea. WoW is complete fantasy so it has more flexability to do whatever it wants, NW is basically the real world with some fantasy mixed in.

If you have not played to lvl 60 in new world then you have no idea what the world is actually like compared to other MMOs. New World is a new MMO and will take some time for it to be developed into what current MMOs have had many years to be tuned into.

The World in WoW has became almost meaningless, they dont offer enough content in the world to actually make it worthwhile, WoW is just an instanced MMO these days with the occasional dailies.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-10-23 at 05:10 PM.

I had fun up until level 25 … went to the next area and logged out, haven't felt like logging in since. Was a pretty decent few hours while it lasted but I don't feel the game has the longevity. Hopefully it does have a great future and maintains a player base but I am probably done with it (for now).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This doesn't remove the necessity of a roadmap for the players to keep them hooked for the future. At best such roadmap is already made during beta. With the massive problems New World is facing in the last weeks, I fear a roadmap and new content is not on the table at the moment. I mean a huge part of endgame content has been disabled for a longer time than it has been available.
    I agree there should be some sort of roadmap, but really I'd personally prefer they squished the bugs first. That said I'm taking it extremely slow to get to max level, so I can imagine people at max level already want to know what's planned for the near future.

Developer shared "roadmaps" are a relatively recent practice. Games don't need these things. Plenty of games have had nonesuch and continue on to this day.

Common practice is not required practice.