Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is corporal punishment still legal in some western countries?

Shouldn't we have come further as a society? it's been illegal here in the 70's but there are still a couple of western nations where it's still a thing.

I've heard the argument "kids don't understand reason so you need to show them by action or else they run around like rude brats", but how come it's not more of a problem in countries where it's illegal than countries where it is legal?

Which western countries would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Which western countries would that be?
    Afaik it's legal to some extent is all U.S states, Canada, Italy and the U.K (other than Scotland).

Why is it that a person can torture and rape a 3yr old and still be alive to brag about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Why is it that a person can torture and rape a 3yr old and still be alive to brag about it?
    Maybe it's the effect of a language barrier, but isn't corporal punishment = spanking your child? Well, technically any bodily punishment but isn't that the most common use of the word? So that's what I mean, even if I also don't agree with the death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Maybe it's the effect of a language barrier, but isn't corporal punishment = spanking your child? Well, technically any bodily punishment but isn't that the most common use of the word? So that's what I mean, even if I also don't agree with the death sentence.
    I say this as someone who's ambivalent on the death penalty (on the one hand, people like the Charleston church shooter are a waste of space and oxygen; on the other, the dead can't suffer): I think that may have been a red herring. At any rate: if a kid is too young to understand reason, that includes your rationale for hitting them; all you're teaching that kid is to be fearful, violent, or both (and certainly not to be respectful, since that's a common argument).

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    No one gives a shit if a 4yr old gets his/her bottom a swat or hand gets smacked...

This thread won't go anywhere because you're effectively telling parents how to raise their child. And that is none of your business.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's because some people still believe it's optimal even though it never is. After a wrong-doer has already been detained it only makes sense to do constructive things like trying to fix them instead of "scaring" them into behaving better in the future.

The thing that you have to realize about people is that nothing is ever "obvious". These kinds of things seem obvious but they're actually not which is why it takes a long time for society to figure it out.

No one gives a shit if a 4yr old gets his/her bottom a swat or hand gets smacked...
    I do mind and I dissent.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-10-24 at 11:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, banning it is a fairly recent phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_...unishment_laws
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

This thread won't go anywhere because you're effectively telling parents how to raise their child. And that is none of your business.
    I have no idea why "I'm a parent" means absolutely anything outside of you have proven you can stick a peepee inside a veevee and make sure the fetus stay relatively safe for 9 months.

Being a parent doesn't make you smarter than everyone else in the room, more qualified at anything, etc. Corporal punishment is shown to make people more violent, its just abuse.
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2021-10-24 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I have no idea why "I'm a parent" means absolutely anything...
    Offering an opinion on something you know nothing about... Primary, is that you?
    Being a parent doesn't make you smarter than everyone else in the room, more qualified at anything, etc.
    Experience always counts...if you're not a parent, if you've no experience at all raising a child, then you don't get a say. And gods help anyone should a person try to get between a parent and a child.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-10-24 at 11:53 PM.

Offering an opinion on something you know nothing about... Primary, is that you? Experience always counts...if you're not a parent, if you've no experience at all raising a child, then you don't get a say. And gods help anyone should a person try to get between a parent and a child.
    Can you try again with a post of actual substance please.

Also this is horrifying considering this is a post about abusing children. You essentially said "gods help anyone who tries to stop me from abusing my child"

Can you try again with a post of actual substance please.
    Maybe I would if you posted something substantial...beyond "I don't know why...?

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    After a wrong-doer has already been detained it only makes sense to do constructive things like trying to fix them instead of "scaring" them into behaving better in the future.
    Especially if that "wrong-doer" is, y'know, a little kid. It inculcates anger issues, and—again—does not actually "teach respect." (Speaking as a survivor and a former childcare worker, by the way.)
    Last edited by Dacia Ultan; 2021-10-25 at 12:37 AM.

Maybe I would if you posted something substantial...beyond "I don't know why...?
    Do you even know what the word substantial means? If the way I worded my last post confused you, then I guess not.

I called into question why you or anyone else thinks being a parent gives someone the right to abuse their child. You of course deflected with bullshit and then essentially threatened anyone who would question your parenting decisions, no matter how stupid they are.

Becuz da bible sez so.

It's probably the reason most of the regressive/antiquated crap we have to deal with still exists.

Pain is the quickest teacher. Now you can argue that, on the long term, it causes more issues... but violence has always been used to get someone to stop an unwanted behavior. It's basically how the law works, so the teaching isn't entirely misguided.

The violent feral youths in the hundreds running amok here deserve a good battering with batons imo, since their parents don't seem to give two shits what their offspring are up to... going from town to town hospitalising random people.

Kiddy gloves by the police and a justice system that constantly lets them off has emboldened this behaviour terrorising people.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-10-25 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    The violent feral youths in the hundreds running amok here deserve a good battering with batons imo, since their parents don't seem to give two shits what their offspring are up to... going from town to town hospitalising random people.

Kiddy gloves by the police and a justice system that constantly lets them off has emboldened this behaviour terrorising people.
    I know, right? We should go back to stoning people who commit crimes, too.

Offering an opinion on something you know nothing about... Primary, is that you? Experience always counts...if you're not a parent, if you've no experience at all raising a child, then you don't get a say. And gods help anyone should a person try to get between a parent and a child.
    So psychologist and neuroscientist don't matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

You know that the children who often become criminals usually were spanked right? Like they learn that hitting solves issues form a very young age, which is why children who were disciplined with violence are much more likely to resort to violence and therefore more likley to end up in jail for violent offences.