Magnesium crisis threatening millions of jobs in the EU.

So if things weren't already going badly enough with supply chain issues another new crisis has raised its head - this time a magnesium shortage out off China.

China had been producing 87% of the world's supply of magnesium and 95% of the EU's supply. Except it has been having a power shortage that has caused major problems with magnesium production. The main magnesium production comes from one town, Yulin, in the Shaanxi province, but due to power shortages the local government ordered 35 of the 50 smelters to shut and the other 15 to cut production by 50%.

The end result is that the EU is expected to run out of magnesium by the end of November and the dwindling stocks are seeing price rises of up to fivefold.

And the problem with this? Magnesium is a crucial component in aluminium alloys used by carmakers, the aerospace industry, packaging and everything from power tools to laptops. EU leaders are concerned that if the Chinese don't restart their smelters then within weeks industries could be forced to shut, affecting millions of jobs.

5+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like China badly needs Russian gas, since the eu is holding up north stream 2 start n dont care about their own citizens if they freeze or their economy, just to be rude to Russia, then Putin should stop supplying ungrateful europe, lets see how they like it.

Besides its an asian century, that's where Russia should prioritize.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Sounds like China badly needs Russian gas, since the eu is holding up north stream 2 start n dont care about their own citizens if they freeze or their economy, just to be rude to Russia, then Putin should stop supplying ungrateful europe, lets see how they like it.

Besides its an asian century, that's where Russia should prioritize.
    Don't be so hard on Europe, what are we going to do with cold and hungry millions right across the border when their power and fertilizer plants will shut down and food prices will skyrocket next ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Considering that magnesium isn't rare, EU problem is entirely self inflicted.

EU is championing carbon neutrality by outsourcing all dirty industries to other countries, then whine that those countries cause pollution. But when countries start caring about pollution and shut down some coal power plants, EU whines that dirty production stopped.
    The green lobby is just a neo-colonial attempt to make countries send supplies for free while also making them feel sorry for producing those. They only whine because they have no actual military might to enforce their neocolonial policy

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how cleaner energy push has to do anything with China's power shortages. It sounds to me like a massive logic leap thread. Might as well post some crap about Lebanon having daylong power cuts because it's somehow EU's fault they fail at managing their state.

It sounds like barking at the wrong tree there for badly veiled agenda.

- - - Updated - - -

Like it or not - cleaner energy push is important. Yes, I share the views that 1st world countries are forcing it down weaker countries throats after they exploited the shit out of them to allow the luxury, but ultimately - it's me who is going to breathe this air for another 50 years or some such and I'd rather not choke up when I'm 80 on top of other natural diseases I'll be having then.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Don't be so hard on Europe, what are we going to do with cold and hungry millions right across the border when their power and fertilizer plants will shut down and food prices will skyrocket next ?
    You are not the Soviet Union, you aren't responsible for other countries economies, take care of your own, no need to cater to hostile eu-apparatchiks, if they don't want your products, let their own decisions determine their outcome. That's fair.

You have lost decades of economic progress by trying to get nearer eu, instead of Asia, I wonder if you realize this is an Asian century?? You should adapt.

North Stream?
    North Stream 2?
    South Stream?
    By now you should have had pipelines to Japan, SK, etc. instead you are dancing along with EU drama queens in Brussels that cockblock your projects.. Yes I know you have some big projects with China, but those are fairly recent, why didn't you start on them 2 decades ago?..

eu cooperation should be a side-project fer chrissakes..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-25 at 04:45 PM.

I know I'm talking to a lunatic, but nevertheless.

Russia does sell stuff to the Asian markets, but you might have noticed... Russians don't actually live in Asia.

It's simple geography, it's a fuck ton easier to pipe and ship oil and gas to Europe (it's still thousands and thousands of Kms) than it is to pipe and ship to the Asian Market, across what is essentially a quarter of a planet away.

Furthermore, most of the Pacific rim is already cornered and supplied by the US and Australia. Both of which have an easier time shipping to China and other major Asian economies.

And while both Japan and South Korea are quite near Russia, they aren't near where the bulk of the Russian energy infrastructure is located.

And finally.... The Europeans can pay more.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-10-25 at 06:08 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dang that sucks, but the silver lining is that if we create more scientific knowledge there is always a new and better alternative to any physical resource. Problems like this drive us to innovate which reduces our reliance on China, which is a good thing. We shouldn't want the CCP's Magnesium that much anyways.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    snip
    ukrainian, are u worried about those pipeline fees?

As I said in my post u replied to, recent projects to china, meaning they weren't connected like currently before, and japan n sk have shown interest in the past.

You are not the Soviet Union, you aren't responsible for other countries economies, take care of your own, no need to cater to hostile eu-apparatchiks, if they don't want your products, let their own decisions determine their outcome. That's fair.
    That's what is happening now anyway.

By now you should have had pipelines to Japan, SK, etc. instead you are dancing along with EU drama queens in Brussels that cockblock your projects.. Yes I know you have some big projects with China, but those are fairly recent, why didn't you start on them 2 decades ago?..

EU paid for it with their own money, and all expenses are already long recovered with current price jumps.

Japan and Korea aren't so eager; even to China we had to build "Power of Siberia" on our own dime. Maybe they'll get around to thinking about it now that China buys out all LNG they can.

...or they can give advance orders for our floating nuclear power plants.

And we still have long-term contracts with EU countries - as Ukrainian gas transport system gets on verge of breaking down due to underinvestment we got to have something to replace it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    And finally.... The Europeans can pay more.
    ...Europeans aren't paying more then China right now for gas though.

Which is why both US and Quatar LNG goes there, and Russia gets to play energy hardball and say "you get what your contract says you are owed and the rest we'll use in Russia - got to fill our gas storage in preparation for winter... or you could sign new long-term contract right now. Oh, and don't forget to certify NS2 too, might run short on gas otherwise if winter happens to be cold".
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2021-10-25 at 10:18 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    ...or they can give advance orders for our floating nuclear power plants.
    Saw one in a documentary, sheesh those winds would blow my sandwich away..