Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Covenant switch and followers/companions

When v9.1.5, tons of people will switch covenant, simply because it becomes so easy, and we have all reached max Renown.
    But some people have ofc already switched, so it should be possible to answer anyway:

What happens to the "neutral" (in lack of a better word) companions, such as Meatball, Croman etc?

Will be start our new covenant with 10ish level 60s? Will we have to find them in Borghast again?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

they transfer over
    I give bad feedback all the time, I just dont rage or give them shit. Paying for content does not gives you the license to be an asshole.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    When v9.1.5, tons of people will switch covenant, simply because it becomes so easy, and we have all reached max Renown.
    But some people have ofc already switched, so it should be possible to answer anyway:

What happens to the "neutral" (in lack of a better word) companions, such as Meatball, Croman etc?

Will be start our new covenant with 10ish level 60s? Will we have to find them in Borghast again?
    the wowhead article says you lose all your followers, I would assume that goes for the ones in Torghast too. Unfortunately due to maintenance I cannot check myself but yeah looks like you lose them all

edit: scratch that, comment section of that article confirms they follow you over. Only the covenant specific ones don't

10ish? There are like 2 or 3 neutral ones to begin with. The torghast ones usually wait outside for you if you already found them once, the others are unlocked with renown as usual I guess. Snowball's chance in hell that the covenant specific ones keep their level though.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

To elaborate on Companions from Torghast, while you can pick up your current Covenant's peeps in the central chamber long after finishing the run during which you rescued them, this does not apply for NPCs rescued while not being in the corresponding Covenant, meaning you can't switch Covenant and then pick up lots of Companions for the new Covenant in Torghast's entrance area.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    10ish? There are like 2 or 3 neutral ones to begin with. The torghast ones usually wait outside for you if you already found them once, the others are unlocked with renown as usual I guess. Snowball's chance in hell that the covenant specific ones keep their level though.
    There are 12 connected to your covenant. The renown ones are connected to your covenant, so when switching, they will natuarally be gone.

Right now, I'm at 21 and missing (atleast) Croman, for a total of (minimum) 22. That is 10 neutral ones, by my math skills.
    But do they stay at 60 (or whatever) or do I need to re-level them?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

It is kind of a broken system... troop level counts all champions you have including those from the covenant you left. The system feels incomplete and broken.

There are 12 connected to your covenant. The renown ones are connected to your covenant, so when switching, they will natuarally be gone.

Right now, I'm at 21 and missing (atleast) Croman, for a total of (minimum) 22. That is 10 neutral ones, by my math skills.
    Not sure where you got the 12 Covenant-specific ones from. While you're right that there are 22 total obtainable* Companions you can have, only Meatball and Croman are neutral and will come along if you change Covenants.
    See this guide.

* Ben Howell was only datamined, doesn't appear to be in game, but probably would have been connected to the Kyrian Covenant anyway, due to his involvement with the Kyrian story - then again, you chucked him into the Maw...
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2021-10-26 at 02:23 PM.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Not sure where you got the 12 Covenant-specific ones from. While you're right that there are 22 total obtainable* Companions you can have, only Meatball and Croman are neutral and will come along if you change Covenants.
    See this guide.

* Ben Howell was only datamined, doesn't appear to be in game, but probably would have been connected to the Kyrian Covenant anyway, due to his involvement with the Kyrian story - then again, you chucked him into the Maw...
    The achievement https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=...ony-of-purpose literally says "Collect all 12 adventurers from your covenant".

The achievement https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=...ony-of-purpose literally says "Collect all 12 adventurers from your covenant".
    "Added in patch 9.0.2.36639"
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2021-10-26 at 02:55 PM.

To elaborate on Companions from Torghast, while you can pick up your current Covenant's peeps in the central chamber long after finishing the run during which you rescued them, this does not apply for NPCs rescued while not being in the corresponding Covenant, meaning you can't switch Covenant and then pick up lots of Companions for the new Covenant in Torghast's entrance area.
    Thanks, that's helpful information. It's how I expected it to work of course, but would've been nice.

- Meatball and Croman will switch over, retaining their level
    - Troops will never lose level anymore, which means you will start your new covenant with your current troop level
    - Followers that are unlocked by renows will be instantly available as soon as you hit the renown (as you directly get level 40 renown you will instantly unlock all renown based 9.0 followers)
    - For the three "soulbinding" followers you still need to play through the entire campaign (unlike their soulbind the followers don't automatically get unlocked)
    - You need to unlock the Torghast specific followers with their quest. If you were present while one of your group members completed the quest for a follower in a previous Torghast run for your new covenant you can directly pick them up in the Torghast main hall
    - Missions that were started when switching covenant are instantly aborted

"Added in patch 9.0.2.36639"
    although subtracting the 5 added in 9.1 and the 2 neutral ones, it seems there were 15 Covenant-specific Companions even during 9.0 - so after reading the comments, I assume this achievement doesn't count the Soulbinds.

Anyway, your link provides an even better overview of the Covenant-specific Companions, see the top comment by Bursi. It's 20.

All the others are from renown (therefore covenant specific) or from torghast (covenant specific). There are only 2 neutral ones (also from torghast).

- - - Updated - - -

That is afaik not true. I unlocked a bunch of kyrian ones while being night fae with my group and they were immediately available when I switched to kyrian previously.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I think the bonus level also has an additional follower that spawns only there doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    That is afaik not true. I unlocked a bunch of kyrian ones while being night fae with my group and they were immediately available when I switched to kyrian previously.
    Seems likely that if you were grouped with someone in another Covenant who unlocked a follower, then you can get it after switching. But not if you were solo.

Not a big deal, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
    they transfer over
    are they changing it in 9.1.5? as far as i was aware only the neutral ones went with you

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Seems likely that if you were grouped with someone in another Covenant who unlocked a follower, then you can get it after switching. But not if you were solo.

Not a big deal, anyway.
    That might be the reason then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    - Meatball and Croman will switch over, retaining their level
    - Troops will never lose level anymore, which means you will start your new covenant with your current troop level
    - Followers that are unlocked by renows will be instantly available as soon as you hit the renown (as you directly get level 40 renown you will instantly unlock all renown based 9.0 followers)
    - For the three "soulbinding" followers you still need to play through the entire campaign (unlike their soulbind the followers don't automatically get unlocked)
    - You need to unlock the Torghast specific followers with their quest. If you were present while one of your group members completed the quest for a follower in a previous Torghast run for your new covenant you can directly pick them up in the Torghast main hall
    - Missions that were started when switching covenant are instantly aborted
    OK. Clear and precise.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    For the three "soulbinding" followers you still need to play through the entire campaign (unlike their soulbind the followers don't automatically get unlocked)
    Should be noted that in 9.1.5, so next week, you'll be able to skip a Covenant's Campaign if you've completed it once on another char.