Poll: Do you use a VPN?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Do you use a VPN?

Do you use a VPN?

Everyone on Youtube at least the Youtube Channels I am subscribed to, the youtube channels that I watch (Strictly Dumpling's Mike Chen, TheWarOwl counter-strike guy, etc.), they all say to use a VPN. How important it is to use a VPN now. You need to use a VPN since basically everyone has Internet Access in their homes now.

VPNs are cool because you can trick your ISP into thinking you are in another country, region so you can watch tv shows from that country, region. Watch tv shows and movies in another region than your own

And yet I still don't use one lol. We still don't use one in 2021-22 going into 2022.

I only use the Internet at home, in my home with my comcast home broadband Comcast Xfinity XB6 Gateway (modem) cable modem coaxial cable Internet connected directly to my Custom PC via ethernet cable.

Do you need a VPN at home? Or do you only need a vpn when traveling, when using hotel wifi, public wifi, etc.??

Your ISP can SEE EVERYTHING YOU DO if you are not using a VPN. But I also learned (and wonder if it's actually true) that: ISPs today don't really care what you are downloading. They only care about your bandwidth usage. ISPs today only care whether or not you are slowing everyone else down on the network. And they WILL THROTTLE YOU (slow your ass down) if they see that you are slowing everyone else down on THEIR network.

Even posting here on these forums, my ISP can see this that I visit the Mmo-champion forums.

Your ISP can see every single website you visit (if you are not using a VPN).

Your ISP can see every single Google Search you do *wink* (The Internet is for P***.)
    if you are not using a VPN.

Use a VPN when you have something to hide, when don't want your ISP to know what you are doing.
    Because nobody does anything criminally wrong on the Internet, right?
    Because nobody illegally downloads anything, right? *wink* *wink*

Do you use a VPN?
    Do you really need a VPN today in todays' modern 2021-22 world of Home Broadband Internet Access where every home has Internet, where every Home has a cable modem (or dsl lol)?

I just want to know. I just need to talk to some people on the Internet about this. forums here on MMO-CHAMPION.

And I hope this is a suitable topic to discuss about on these forums
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-10-30 at 12:17 PM.

Yes, there are websites I visit that are blocked in South Korea, so you need to use it to circumvent the block.

5+ Year Old Account
    I feel this is the perfect place to talk about this. Thiis is Mmo-champion after all lol.

I'm waiting for the inevitable VPN advertisements.

5+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling I may get an infraction (warning) for this for making this thread

I did have a Nord VPN subscription as the UK government has quite extensive powers that allow various departments to access your internet history, but I haven't renewed. I found it to be more of a hindrance than anything. Using Amazon was a pain, it would detect the VPN and I'd have to go through security measures. If you log into Paypal with a VPN there's a risk of them freezing your account as it's against ToS. Google would often detect the VPN and there'd be captchas etc and if you run a YouTube channel you can be locked out for suspicious activity. Logging in to any accounts from a VPN IP address that's been used by someone who was banned brings the risk that you'll also be banned. Not sure if I'll ever use one again.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just want to see how many people actually use a VPN, actually use one.

How many people actually use a VPN in 2021-22.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use it when I want to watch US-only streaming content or when I want to change routing when having latency issues ingame.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    I just want to see how many people actually use a VPN, actually use one.

How many people actually use a VPN in 2021-22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I use it when I want to watch US-only streaming content or when I want to change routing when having latency issues ingame.
    See this is what I've wondered too. How many people that do use VPNs use it for their personal protection VS the people that use it to access unavailable content.
    I don't personally use a VPN and the only person I know that does, uses it to torrent stuff so they don't get in trouble with their ISP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I barely use it. Only usefull realy when youtube has a region restriction or i have to post something that would get you banned on sites (99% cenzorship thing).

ISP here doesnt give a shit if you torrent .

Running a emulated browsers via tor is much better.

https://www.torproject.org/
    http://www.virtualdesktop.org/complete/ (examples)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    I have a feeling I may get an infraction (warning) for this for making this thread
    As long as your thread has a blatant advertisement in it you actually should get an infraction.

On topic: everyone who uses their smart phone in a WLAN which is not under their control should us a VPN. How is this even a question in the year of our Highlord Bolvar 2021?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    As long as your thread has a blatant advertisement in it you actually should get an infraction.
    removed it lol. I don't want another infraction on these awesome forums

Since you posted this sort of endorsment/advert for VPNs it's obligatory to post this video.

About throtling maybe you shouldn't vote for idiots that are against internet neutrality and you wouldn't have such a problem. I certainly haven't seen any issues but I don't live in the US so it's different. We also get unlimited 4g internet here for like 24€ a month and don't have to pay ridiculous amounts I heard you have to pay in the US.

The only reason to use VPN is to skip geoblocks which is kinda questionable pratcise. I have used it to circumvent a geoblock before playing a game. They used to allow foreign connections but due to some DDOS they simply banned all foreign IPs. VPN will help with this however there's also few other bypasses which I'm using right now to log in. You don't need expensive commercial vpn for this as I can use simple open vpns that will do the job. Someone might say that open vpn won't be safe for log in since they can see your log in data. However all this traffic is encrypted so they won't get any information about it apart from the fact i'm connected to this IP address.

Now question is how much do they pay you because your post is pretty blatant advert to me.

I don't use one, but I do make sure to always use ssl encryption for sensitive data and a network wide adblock.

Outside of some use cases (or if you are doing really dodgy stuff) I'm not convicted a VPN offers much to 95%+ of people online, It does make sense for some to use a VPN all the time, such as those who have a bigger online target on their back public figures, celeb's, Youtubers and streamers etc
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Whenever I want to cover my tracks, I use the TOR browser, which is free. Otherwise I don't use a VPN.

I only use one to pirate stuff

I use VPN when I'm visiting sites that I've never been to before or ones which don't require a sign-in.

Tried one yesterday, didn't get keep me from being locked out of instagram.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but not for security, I have it to watch content outside my region.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Can you prevent google trackers from profiling you by using VPN? Thing is I can never find a fast enough one. Internet is super slow then.