Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Major patches have been announced outside of events all the time.
    yeah, that was my reaction too, i would say majority of wow content patches were announced outside of "big events"...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    The only purpose for blizzcon was the expac reveal everything else was hyped up dev noise that only ever has a 50% chance of not being forgotten about.

- - - Updated - - -

"We need to crowd a packed convention center in Anaheim with 10,000+ people who express the majority of their social interacting within an online fantasy game, fill it with booze and cosby suites, and we need to make people feel safe".
    From Blizzards marketing perspective it was to promote games. From Blizzards perspective un general it was a celebration of they games they made with the fans who play them who showed up. From a fans perspective it was an opportunity to go to an event of similar people who share a passion for the same things they did and to enjoy a social event.

You only cared about the expat reveals. You don't speak for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    It will never happen. This stupid idea that Blizzard would sell the IP is based on nothing but "lol disney", because corporations on that level don't just sell IPs like Warcraft. The only examples of that happening are private people cashing out by selling to these large corporations. No finacial analyst could ever justify selling something that could easily generate you another couple of billions down the line. Well, unless the court collectors are already raiding your offices and put "seized" stickers on everything.
    Last time I remember this happening was when THQ was going under.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialJusticeFuryWarrioir View Post
    Never cared about Blizzcon tbh. I just want a full presentation on WoW and all the new info.

If they manage to do that at least on the scale or bigger than previous Blizzcons I'll be satisfied.
    They haven't done one properly since Mists of Pandaria, IMO. I still remember how much stuff they had to show off at that BlizzCon. They showed off the cinematic, the Pandaren, the Wandering Isle, large swathes of Pandaria, a number of dungeons, tons of concept art, and all of it with their amazing music. It feels like every BlizzCon expansion preview they've had after has had less and less since then.

What would they show anyway? The new Overwatch patch they call Overwatch 2? Or an announcement that they are still working on Diablo 4? WoW is dead, nobody cares about that anyway and there is nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Last time I remember this happening was when THQ was going under.
    The only other compareable occurances of franchises of that magnitude being sold are star wars and minecraft, but both of them belonged to private people that got billions for them.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I read this as: "Our development contract with our third party vendor ends in December and we are reevaluating the newly proposed contract and weighing other third party vendors. Because of this, our engineering timelines have been moved to "least risky" to "most risky" in terms of completing our cycles. As we can't say with a degree of confidence what you can expect from Blizzard in the coming quarters, we'd rather wait till we're better prepared with a better timeline of expectations."

I think this is better for the company and fans overall.

BlizzCon came when Blizzard was on a strong upswing and there was a lot of momentum behind that. Also a lot of pressure. Blizzard is a games company, they're not an expo company. As in, putting on their own 2-day event with thousands of attendees. They did it, but it was clearly stressful for staff and reportedly not at all profitable for the company. Attending existing expositions is way easier than putting on one of your own.

And over time as they felt they had to keep the BlizzCon train going, that led to more pressure behind the scenes as staff had to prepare for the event -- and then attend it, and stay around people, some of which were abusers, in a non-work environment. A hotel even. I'm sure they also had to deal with grabby, pushy, or unhappy fans at various points throughout the event. Plus, where initial BlizzCons were in-person, they quickly became streamed as well, adding additional staff and technical hurdles and headaches.

Just do your announcements and event online like the last fully-streamed "Con" and call it good. The fans would rather you put your energy into making better games and fixing problems with existing ones, instead of having to put staff on projects for BlizzCon (panels, displays, activities, vendor partnerships, etc.). Online allows you to control your Q&A and narrative as you no doubt need to right now.

Blizzard realized its running out of old content to rerelease.

What would they announce anyways? More censorship? The new feature of removing skimpy transmogs? I know they said they wouldnt but we know pretty well where this is going.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

They probably were going to announce Cole Cassidy at this Blizconline, but since he came out ahead of time they had nothing new to announce and cancelled the whole thing.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by cozzri View Post
    Chances are the the event would be hijacked by disgruntled employees to use as a venue to continue protests against management and push for more unionization demands to be met. Smart move by the leadership trying to squash possibility of traction towards unionization. We all know how Blitzchung went, and he didn't even have any invested interest with the company, can you imagine this happening at a public event with their very own employees? Absolute PR disaster, axe laid at the root of the tree.
    Lolwut. Are you one of those corporation lovers who would rather see the rich, powerful business owners win over their marginalized workers?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    If you think they have nothing on the next expansion I have a bridge for sale. They could easily have a hype trailer for it along with the next big patch info. OW2, D4, DI, info about the Other Diablo media(TV/movie), any potential updates for D3, SC3(or whatever the next game in that IP is), new HS stuffs, As much as I liked HotS nothing here, their other mobile game(s), or thier new IPs in development.

They have plenty they could talk about.
    What on earth are you talking about? You can't just pull a bunch of random nonsense out of thin air and think that counts as evidence or proof. This is nothing - just a list of random shit they MIGHT want to talk about. But if we scrape away the surface, all you have really said is : "they could announce the next expansion for wow, and, um, maybe sc3?". Yeah, and they COULD announce that they are working on a frogger MMO, and a racing game based on electric scooters. They COULD do these things, but there is no evidence for ANY of these things.

You said they DO have things to feature at blizzcons, then produced a bunch of airy fairy, baseless nonsense.

And let me help you out a bit - if you think they have new IPs to announce, a trailer ready to go for the next expansion, SC3, AND other things to talk about, but chose to cancel blizzcons......then I have a bridge to sell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    From Blizzards marketing perspective it was to promote games. From Blizzards perspective un general it was a celebration of they games they made with the fans who play them who showed up. From a fans perspective it was an opportunity to go to an event of similar people who share a passion for the same things they did and to enjoy a social event.

You only cared about the expat reveals. You don't speak for everyone.
    So they made a party out of an expansion reveal, BlizzCon's purpose. Funny you end your sentence with "you don't speak for everyone" but start your comment on what it is Blizzard does and what their fans do.

So I suppose you do?

15+ Year Old Account
    And still when you created it your looking at the dull old backgrounds.
    Amazing.

Honestly, I doubt there will ever be a physical Blizzcon again. The online versions are even more of a cash grab at a fraction of the cost. Plus you have complete control over the questions, no risk of adverse fan reactions, and can reshoot each announcement until you get it right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Just say you have nothing to show - it's ok to be honest
    LMFAO. Like hell they will admit it. They didn't even have the humility to admit that their SL systems was a colossal failure from launch. Instead they used the story narrative as an excuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Hope Blizzard just gets destroyed. They fuck up in their workspace, then prune jokes and achievements, putting the finger on their playerbase. How dumb can you get? How can anyone have faith in such a company?
    Blizz is a huge KEKW right now. I stopped playing all their games since Feb. They couldn't even make a new game since OW in 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    ? they are still updating hots my dude, just slowly, yeah its dead but its still producing content, just waaay slower then normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow i am bookmarking this, nevermind the fact ow2 has already been confirmed for 2022.

- - - Updated - - -

imagine not even knowing how to read.
    it has been confirmed many many many many many many times over now the changes have literally NOTHING to do with investors.

unless i guess you also think the moon landing was faked.
    Dude no offense but you seem really really naive. You believe everything businesses tell you. You’re calling others stupid for “not knowing how to read” when they simply are disbelieving Blizzard. I’ve seen you this entire thread defend everything about Blizzard. I don’t know if you work for them or what, but no one should believe businesses that have a known track record for bullshit. And that’s modern Blizzard. The old generation are gone and what’s left is the people who have ran the game down over the last years. I mean damn dude. You really shouldn’t put pure faith in a 100% for profit business. Especially not one with this track record.

First lesson I’d say is learn just because they say something will be released a certain time doesn’t mean it will be.

- - - Updated - - -

snip.
    This is what I mean. You think announcing patches is a huge deal. It isn’t. You just took the goal post from major announcements and moved it to regularly scheduled patches. Come on man.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    OW2 is dead. Heroes is not only dead but murdered. D3 is dead. D2R was not bad but doesn't have anywhere to go. D4 has gotten worse with every reveal since the awesome announcement. WoW has been actively gutted despite already being empty of story or content. SC2 is long dead for nothing. What could they possibly announce? Slutmogs being removed? There'll never be another Blizzcon unless, of all things, Activision saves Blizzard from itself in the most unlikely of all outcomes.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Honestly, I doubt there will ever be a physical Blizzcon again. The online versions are even more of a cash grab at a fraction of the cost. Plus you have complete control over the questions, no risk of adverse fan reactions, and can reshoot each announcement until you get it right.
    ^ Basically this.

It was much more of a community thing in 2005 when it started. I went in 2009. I actually met Rob Pardo in line to get a beer and he was super cool to talk to. I highly doubt the devs even still walk around and talk to random people at the recent ones.

Now it's basically a corporate PR/marketing event masquerading as a community event they simultaneously use as an opportunity to make money off the whales and addicts.

I'm sure it's insanely more profitable and all around easier to do online, plus they have much more control over the narrative. No more "Don't you guys have phones" moments.