View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    People can pretend an EU united front but I would suggest there is no smoke without fire.

Just this week I've brought news of a credible Frexit campaign, growing dissent and calls for an Irexit. And then there is Poland and Polexit. What on earth is going on there? Seems to me the only reason they are still EU members is because there is no EU mechanism in place to remove them. The only thing the EU can and has done is impose 1 million euro daily fines until the Polish bend the knee to them. Of course the wise Poles will probably just ignore and refuse to pay those daily fines anyway. What can the EU do?

With respect eurochums I would suggest this is existential. And all the while the shining light of Brexit and its many benefits are reported daily tempting others to join them.

I'm minded to dust off the trusted Brexit countdown clock, as it cannot be a question of if but who and when another nation joins the land of the free outside of the EU.

Tick tock...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    People can pretend an EU united front but I would suggest there is no smoke without fire.

Just this week I've brought news of a credible Frexit campaign, growing dissent and calls for an Irexit. And then there is Poland and Polexit. What on earth is going on there? Seems to me the only reason they are still EU members is because there is no EU mechanism in place to remove them. The only thing the EU can and has done is impose 1 million euro daily fines until the Polish bend the knee to them. Of course the wise Poles will probably just ignore and refuse to pay those daily fines anyway. What can the EU do?

With respect eurochums I would suggest this is existential. And all the while the shining light of Brexit and its many benefits are reported daily tempting others to join them.

I'm minded to dust off the trusted Brexit countdown clock, as it cannot be a question of if but who and when another nation joins the land of the free outside of the EU.

Tick tock...
    Someone in Poland talks about Polexit, despite the country still being overwhelmingly pro EU. Member of a minority party talks about Frexit in France. Member of a minority party in Ireland talks about Irexit. Seriously dribbles, at least show some fucking imagination with the names. This is laughably poor.

All this shows, really, is that for all these more sensible grown up countries, the possiblity of leaving the EU is a tiny fringe movement. Because most people realise what the EU does for them, and they realise the damage it would cause to leave. The former because they haven't been fed a steady diet of lies from people like Boris and papers like the Daily Mail. And the latter, thanks to us.

People aren't looking at the UK post Brexit and thinking "I've got to get me some of that". Because they prefer their waters to not be full of literal shit. They prefer their farm goods to actually make it to the tables of customers. They prefer their rubbish to be collected, and their public transport to be operational.

The only thing these politicians are looking at is how successful Brexit politicians have been at selling a stupid idea to ill-informed voters. They see the chance to turn themselves from fringe idiots (like Farage) into mainstream politicians with some clout. That's why they're talking about these things, not because they're popular (they aren't) and not even because they genuinely believe in them (Boris never did, after all). They just see it as a means to gain power for themselves.

But you keep clinging to the thought that our leaving will bring the EU down. Because deep down, you know that if it doesn't we're going to be standing alone, Arrested Development style, thinking "I've made a horrible mistake". In the meantime taxes are going up (again), inflation is going up (could hit 5% next year) and satisfaction with what Brexit has delivered is going down. It's just a question of time now, before the other shoe drops. It's coming.

Will you be owning up to being a Brexiteer then? Or will you be hiding away pretending all the bad things are nothing to do with you? I know which one my money is on.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Poland isn't even about Brexit but about a wannebe dictator trying to erode the checks on Democracy.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Poland isn't even about Brexit but about a wannebe dictator trying to erode the checks on Democracy.
    If that's true are the EU comfortable keeping that sort of company? I mean history tells us they have been there before. Didn't the Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawieck even speak about a Third world war a couple of days ago being caused by the EU? Scary stuff, good job we are not still in the EU would be a definite Brexit benefit if we miss that. This is not allies being chummy in blissful harmony now is it?

Polish PM says Commission risks ‘World War III’

https://www.euractiv.com/section/pol...world-war-iii/

Seems to be it's not just Poland on its own but with substantial backing from Hungary along with Slovakia and the Czech Republic as one united Visegrad group against the EU. Nope the charade is over, just a matter of timing. I'll take a bit of inflation Huehuecoyotl tyvm, the alternative is a right mess.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    So like Brexit?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

If that's true are the EU comfortable keeping that sort of company? I mean history tells us they have been there before. Didn't the Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawieck even speak about a Third world war a couple of days ago being caused by the EU? Scary stuff, good job we are not still in the EU would be a definite Brexit benefit if we miss that. This is not allies being chummy in blissful harmony now is it?

Polish PM says Commission risks ‘World War III’

https://www.euractiv.com/section/pol...world-war-iii/

Seems to be it's not just Poland on its own but with substantial backing from Hungary along with Slovakia and the Czech Republic as one united Visegrad group against the EU. Nope the charade is over, just a matter of timing. I'll take a bit of inflation Huehuecoyotl tyvm, the alternative is a right mess.
    Because the EU can't really force a member to leave and can't punish a member either. The European Commission must have the agreement of every country to punish another one. If some countries like the Eastern ones (Hungary and Poland more specifically) are covering each other, the EU can't do much. One country can paralyze the whole union (France did that in the 60s, UK under Thatcher).

That's a big flaw in the EU system and I agree completely with every criticism of the EU way of handling the Polish case. But not removing Poland doesn't mean the EU is comfortable with keeping wannabe dictators. The EU legislation can't really handle that because the question never occurred before the Eastern european inclusions. Poland isn't about Brexit at all, you even had huge demonstrations in Poland a few weeks ago to support the EU.

https://www.ft.com/content/dbb8e56f-...d-1027b7582691
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-10-28 at 02:07 PM.

Note.

While food storages are ongoing in the UK. Taxes are going up, industries are collapsing, there's is actual shit in the water. Dribbles has successfully derailed the conversation to an imaginary non existent insert country-exit nonsense, all that backed by a picture of A billboard somewhere in Ireland. Not even a full time billboard, but one of those half time rotating billboards.

Like, honestly... What is there to discuss?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59070020

The impact of Brexit on the UK economy will be worse in the long run compared to the coronavirus pandemic, the chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility has said.

Richard Hughes said leaving the EU would reduce the UK's potential GDP by about 4% in the long term.

He said forecasts showed the pandemic would reduce GDP "by a further 2%".

"In the long term it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic", he told the BBC.

His comments come after the OBR said the cost of living could rise at its fastest rate for 30 years, with suggestions inflation could hit almost 5%.

Speaking after Wednesday's Budget, Mr Hughes said recent data showed the impact of Brexit was "broadly consistent" with the OBR's assumption that the leaving the EU would "reduce our long run GDP by around 4%".

"We think that the effect of the pandemic will reduce that (GDP) output by a further 2%," he added.
    Well, guess blaming covid got a little less convenient.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Note.

While food storages are ongoing in the UK. Taxes are going up, industries are collapsing, there's is actual shit in the water. Dribbles has successfully derailed the conversation to an imaginary non existent insert country-exit nonsense, all that backed by a picture of A billboard somewhere in Ireland. Not even a full time billboard, but one of those half time rotating billboards.

Like, honestly... What is there to discuss?
    Well, find someone from the brexit crowd that is not immune to facts first, then we can discuss things, up until it's just dribbles fantastic brexit fantasyland, burner and sircaw with the victim complex, bonus points for sircaw because he believes every negative should be followed by a positive, for balance, even if there's no positive.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

We have the same problem here that the US has. We have a group of people that believe that if facts disagree with their opinions, you have to reject the facts. Posting articles like this, as far as they are concerned, is completely pointless. Expect our resident burner to pop up any minute, call that fake news and explain how there isn't a single empty shelf in the country and we're all better off.

Pigeons, the lot of them. Best dealt with using a pellet gun, rather than a chess board.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

We will see if the OBR are right, they don't have a great record of long term forecasting to be frank. It can barely get its 3 month projections right, let alone predict economic reality 30 years from now.

Any divorce comes with an economic consequence, it does not make it right that you should stick it out with an abusive partner just because you might have to live off beans on toast for a few weeks.

Freedom is a wonderful thing that you cannot put a price on, whatever the cost Brexit will have been worth it rather than remain slaves to the EU machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    That's a big flaw in the EU system
    And it's a big plus at the same time. Because it makes sure smaller countries get a voice that actually counts and can't be overwritten by Germany/France all the time.

Well would you look at that; seems like people are starting to wake up to the shit sandwich that is Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1947002.html

It's almost like people are seeing the reality of what's happening in the country, and correctly linking the bad things to Brexit. I wonder how long people will put up with it before they demand changes? I wonder how far the polls would need to move before Boris ditches Brexit like a used girlfriend.

Interesting times ahead, for sure. Unless you've linked your entire psyche to the concept of Brexit, and your mental health will collapse like a poorly made souffle if it all goes west. Then it's only interesting in the Chinese curse sense of the word.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well, find someone from the brexit crowd that is not immune to facts first, then we can discuss things, up until it's just dribbles fantastic brexit fantasyland, burner and sircaw with the victim complex, bonus points for sircaw because he believes every negative should be followed by a positive, for balance, even if there's no positive.
    Ah my friend from the mountains, I was reading what the Austrians were saying about Brexit only yesterday and how it is being reported. It isn't just me saying Brexit is fab, many of your countrymen are too!

Brexit is a great success: wages are rising. The UK economy is booming like seldom before....

https://www.wochenblick.at/der-brexi...mieten-sinken/

Apologies for having to google translate that link, people moan if I don't source it, from what I can see the reporting is absolutely spot on. Would you agree?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah my friend from the mountains, I was reading what the Austrians were saying about Brexit only yesterday and how it is being reported. It isn't just me saying Brexit is fab, many of your countrymen are too!

Brexit is a great success: wages are rising. The UK economy is booming like seldom before....

Apologies for having to google translate that link, people moan if I don't source it, from what I can see the reporting is absolutely spot on. Would you agree?
    You found a source from a far-right "media outlet" so no, naturally I wouldn't agree. But it is quite telling that you were able to find them, tells us something about your bubble. Well done.

Lets see. Truck drivers certainly have seen an increase of wages, that really isn't contestable; it is unlikely to last, but you know temporary wage increases for short periods of times, I am sure can be crossed on as a great win that will go to the annals of history. That and it is a reaction to a worker shortage, that's not really much of a win, for anyone else than the drivers. I guess in the same way that if everyone's home burns down, your roof over your head probably would be seen as a positive, even if the walls have giant holes in them.

Rent drops, funnily enough of that can be linked to rich people moving (which is why it has gone down some places and up others). Oh and dropping house prices. Which if I recall right, wasn't that a Brexit positive, that housing prices were going up? Now that they are going down, is that then also a positive?

Can't find anything that indicates that purchasing power has increased beyond anything that wasn't completely expected and follows the trend. I am actually only seeing stuff that indicates it is not.

Minimum wage is going up, great. Not sure how the fuck that is related to Brexit, and equally so, when the Tories had to be pushed to do it, it is kind of congratulating a child for cleaning their room, after you told them 50 times. I am going to guess there aren't any famous lines in British writings that includes "Great wins come on the back of being nagged to do it"

But I am guessing that wasn't so much the allure, I am guessing the lines "socialist press can no longer lie!" and "international competition", which I am pretty sure when it comes from Wochenblick might as well have come in 3 brackets instead.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

10+ Year Old Account

Far right magazine with strong ties to europe skeptic nazi party FPÖ. Only the BEST sources from dribbles as always.

France taking unilateral action, as retaliation against little britain not holding up their part of the deal on fishing licenses for French fishermen.

France to impose far more stringent checks on UK imports (grinding them to an effective halt) and will denie UK fisherman access to French ports, starting next tuesday.
    @dribbles that’s a single country retaliating, not (yet) the entire EU. So, our cards are coming open on the table. You claim you hold the royal flush, lets see em.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    France taking unilateral action, as retaliation against little britain not holding up their part of the deal on fishing licenses for French fishermen.

France to impose far more stringent checks on UK imports (grinding them to an effective halt) and will denie UK fisherman access to French ports, starting next tuesday.
    @dribbles that’s a single country retaliating, not (yet) the entire EU. So, our cards are coming open on the table. You claim you hold the royal flush, lets see em.
    So France bans UK fishing boats, so what. I raise you that the UK will ban all EU, not just french, fishing boats in retaliation.

Lord Frost vows to disrupt ALL EU fishing activity in British waters

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-France.html

And on top as the icing on the cake the EU shoots itself in the foot, the boat taken hostage in Le Havre is Scottish. The only part of the UK that shows any signs of support for the EU, or did, that's over now though I am guessing.

Time to invoke Article 16 methinks... tick tock

Lord Frost? Isn't the House of Lords like...mostly ceremonial/performative with little actual power compared to Commons? And they like, have little to nothing to do with the actual ruling government?