Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy Lord of the Rings - never got a game it deserved imo

Seems like a gold mine franchise when it comes to the gaming industry, yet i feel this IP never got the game it deserved. From all the LOTR games i think the only two that did any kind of justice to the franchise were :

- War in the North
    - The Return of the King ( 2003 game )

A lot talk about Shadow of War and Shadow of Mordor. I played both, i really do not think it's the type of game the franchise should get. To me it felt like i was playing Assassins Creed with orcs.It just feels like the developers keep designing the wrong type of game when it comes to this franchise.

There was talk ages ago that a proper RPG was being developed and would be released under the name "The White Council" , sadly it got cancelled.

I think a lot of players would appreciate at LOTR game similar to Elder Scrolls or Witcher series. A huge open world game where you get to experience Middle Earth with your character and quest through great single player content.

Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    Seems like a gold mine franchise when it comes to the gaming industry, yet i feel this IP never got the game it deserved. From all the LOTR games i think the only two that did any kind of justice to the franchise were :

- War in the North
    - The Return of the King ( 2003 game )

A lot talk about Shadow of War and Shadow of Mordor. I played both, i really do not think it's the type of game the franchise should get. To me it felt like i was playing Assassins Creed with orcs.It just feels like the developers keep designing the wrong type of game when it comes to this franchise.

There was talk ages ago that a proper RPG was being developed and would be released under the name "The White Council" , sadly it got cancelled.

I think a lot of players would appreciate at LOTR game similar to Elder Scrolls or Witcher series. A huge open world game where you get to experience Middle Earth with your character and quest through great single player content.
    It looks a bit dated now but questing through LotRO is a brilliant way to experience Tolkien's world while following the Lord of the Rings story.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Gollum is on deck, should be a fun run but still not the game I was hoping for.

I would add the battle for Middle Earth strategy game to your list though, maybe just the second one. That was pretty fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Uhm, LOTR: The Third Age? Hello? One of my favourite games from the PS2 era ever.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Uhm, LOTR: The Third Age? Hello? One of my favourite games from the PS2 era ever.
    Seconded. Was a beautiful game.

Third Age mod for Medieval 2 Total War is very good. There is one being made with Attila Total War too.
    Do you hear the voices too?

OP, have you not played LotRO? It's the most faithful Tolkien game ever made and will almost never be usurped.

The Nemesis system from the Shadow games is one of the best systems ever created for games, I wish we'd see a lot more of it.

Third age and BFME were both pretty fun, but yeah, LOTR deserves much better still.

Shadow says Hello.

Honestly, LotRO was an incredibly good game back in its first years. Mines of Moria is a fantastic expansion. Pity it turned into what it is now, but for immersion it's still great.

I wish we would have gotten a proper 3D trilogy though. Or something detached from the Fellowship.

With Amazon releasing five seasons of the Lord of the Rings TV show, I think the time for a next gen game would be perfect.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

LotRO is probably the most faithful game we'll ever get. the license for LotR is probably very expensive, so the only people who can afford it are AAA devs who make washed out least common denominator crap like Shadow of Mordor and stuff like that.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    The Nemesis system from the Shadow games is one of the best systems ever created for games, I wish we'd see a lot more of it.
    I think WB tried to patent that.. not sure if they were successful.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Third Age was great. Final Fantasy X but on the LOTR movie setting

I feel Battle for Middle Earth 2 was also a great addition
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

There are some really good, expansive mods in development for a number of games. Third Age Total War is continued to this day in the form of Divide & Conquer for Medieval 2, Total War Attila is currently getting the incredible Rise of Mordor mod and there's also the Kingdoms of Arda mod that is currently being developed for Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord.

I feel like most AAA devs would probably fuck it up if they ever tried to make a big Lord of the Rings title in this day and age.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Battle for Middle Earth games were very good
    I agree about Shadow games, I didn't feel connected to LotR universe at all

As others have already stated, LotRO is very faithful to the source material. The graphics are dated, but it's still pretty fun. I would recommend playing it with a subscription though, so you don't hit any annoying FTP restrictions that hinder your enjoyment...because there are some very annoying ones.

I don't think the source material is a great play setting. Other things have taken the base concepts and created better settings for play imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the trilogy in ps2 and remember beating it all with my brother. Shadow of Mordor was fun too. Only got partway into shadow of war though. Surprisingly I have war in the north, but never tried it.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

If anything, Shadow of Mordor/War are like Batman Arkham games, not Assassin's Creed. Also, like @Dakhath said the Nemesis system is simply brilliant, especially in the second game.

I also second the opinions that Battle for the Middle Earth games were great too. Some of my favorite RTS games of all time. I also enjoyed The Two Towers for PS2 quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.