Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ion was responsible for the best and the two worst expansions. That’s a 1:2. And the two worst happened back to back, so I am not sure if I want to give him a 4th try to recreate the Legion-feeling yet again.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Players: "Please communicate more with us."
    Blizzard: "OK. The Game Director will be the face of WoW and do communication."
    Players: "Fire that fucker's ass right away since he's responsible for everything. FUCKING MESSENGERS MUST GO DOWN!"

Thus as it is with Ion. Thus as it was with Ghostcrawler. Chilton, the former game director, avoided all of this by not communicating with customers and keeping his mouth shut, especially during Cataclysm. Not a fucking peep essentially about Chilton (Game Director) during Cataclysm. A whole lot of fucking peeps about GhostCrawler.

Who looks smart now?

As for the rumor: No one here knows anything for certain. The one thing that seems certain is that consensus design will continue on the game no matter what the Game Director's name is and not much will actually change.

In fact: I wouldn't mind seeing Ion stepping down or being promoted to lead producer (Brack's old position). I don't think it will solve anything but putting theory crafters in charge of the game at multiple levels has been a losing proposition creatively.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-10-31 at 08:52 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    he was the leader of the primary team that was listed in the state lawsuit. the wow team being specifically listed as one of the worst offenders means ion either participated in said harassment or (and possibly more likely) didn't do enough/anything to stop the harassment going on throughout his team. so whether or not ion is guilty of harassment himself, he is responsible for his team during the last 4 years. hence, ion should be held accountable for having one of the worst offending teams for this lawsuit.
    This isn’t how any thing works just being put in the director roll of the game doesn’t mean Ion has the power to deal with HR problems he likely can’t even fire/hire people without approval from those above him like how JAB was the one to fire Alex.

And there’s no way ion was involved in any harassment and we wouldn’t have heard about it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Ion singlehandedly destroyed pve in this game. His leaving would be great news.
    You do realize that Ion is working on PvE since at least WotLK, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    some people dont want truth, they want convenient scapegoat

i think its true especially bc they opened associate game director spot.. i wouldnt like him completely gone cause i think he is really good at raid design..

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    he was the leader of the primary team that was listed in the state lawsuit. the wow team being specifically listed as one of the worst offenders means ion either participated in said harassment or (and possibly more likely) didn't do enough/anything to stop the harassment going on throughout his team. so whether or not ion is guilty of harassment himself, he is responsible for his team during the last 4 years. hence, ion should be held accountable for having one of the worst offending teams for this lawsuit.
    Ion is a lawyer, so I think we can safely guess he covered his butt. That includes not being a harrasser himself, forwarding to HR all complaints received, as well as keeping records. It might even be he has enough dirt that Activision-Blizzard can't fire him.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Yeah, I kinda remember how everybody hated Ghostcrawler and now he is viewed as some paragon of game developing.

People just need a face they can vent on, if it's not Ghostcrawler or Ion, then they will blame whoever takes his position just the same. Such is the way of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Obviously that would have a rather big impact on the game. Many hate Ion and are glad if he's gone, but no one knows who would follow and if it was better. Perhaps we get some great innovative active player, or perhaps we get some Activision suit that just cares about revenue.

So apart from the leak being utterly speculative (and that's already nicely said) we also wouldn't know where this would lead us, so pretty pointless to discuss anything.
    yep, i think a lot of ppl dont think about that.

also ppl not get, that not Ion per se is the problem. its the management, that give or give not budgets and financees forcing specific monetization goals (token supporting game design etc) and a whole team. its not that Ion can do what he wants and go like „hmm, today we can do a bit treadmill game design for fun“.

so ppl should realize, that Blizzard as a company is the problem. not a single face, steadily falling between the chairs in his (somewhat fucked up) position.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    yep, i think a lot of ppl dont think about that.

also ppl not get, that not Ion per se is the problem. its the management, that give or give not budgets and financees forcing specific monetization goals (token supporting game design etc) and a whole team. its not that Ion can do what he wants and go like „hmm, today we can do a bit treadmill game design for fun“.

so ppl should realize, that Blizzard as a company is the problem. not a single face, steadily falling between the chairs in his (somewhat fucked up) position.
    People used this same excuse with Bioware and they claimed EA was the one behind all its problems. Turns out that no bioware is just a crappy studio that is long past its prime.

Blizzard still has the talent to put out smash hits, it’s just the current WoW team that sucks. Bobby needs to fire ion and the rest of the lead devs and reboot the WoW team

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Ion was responsible for the best and the two worst expansions. That’s a 1:2. And the two worst happened back to back, so I am not sure if I want to give him a 4th try to recreate the Legion-feeling yet again.
    I'm not sure who would replace him: They put Holinka on whatever needs the most work (Legion, then on to Diablo 4, then Shadowlands, but now I think hes back on Diablo 4) Dansuer, maybe: But then we still have the problem where he's not a programmer: We need an actual programmer who actual has higher raid & PVP experience. Why is that so hard to find in this company?

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Yeah, I kinda remember how everybody hated Ghostcrawler and now he is viewed as some paragon of game developing.

People just need a face they can vent on, if it's not Ghostcrawler or Ion, then they will blame whoever takes his position just the same. Such is the way of sheep.
    It's because it got worse. Ghostcrawler wasn't viewed as the best but when Ion came along, it was a fucking nightmare. Ghostcrawler at least had the eye of design to realize that not everything should be perfectly balanced.

Its like people saying Cataclysm is the worst expansion and then WoD came along. Cataclysm is viewed better because WoD dropped it to another level of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Someone is forgetting about the existence of Warlords of Draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    In all sincerity, they need to bring on community reps again whose job it is to translate developer speak from team leaders that aren't exactly people persons into announcements/interviews the audience can vibe with. Public speaking skills when dealing with the general public are a whole different animal from public speaking in controlled environments like courtrooms, and the former just really isn't a skill most team leads at Blizzard have displayed.
    They don't pay CM's enough to take the job of communicating with this crowd. Tseric, Bashiok, Zarhym were simply meatshields for the developers when they were CM's. The community pretty much broke Tseric. Bashiok (Micah Whipple) was doxed. Zarhym was abused every time he posted anything as were the rest of them. I'd quit in a heartbeat if that was my job and they dropped all of that back in my lap.

Now: if they want to hire a PR person whose only job it is is to keep in touch with players and not have to do the other stuff that CM's do (forum watching and actual communication with players is only a small piece of it) that might be OK. That person could be shielded somewhat and would very definitely not be watching forums to see how many ways players suggest that he should kill him/herself.

Frankly, I'd be down with Blizzard saying "We've had enough. We'll put out anonymous blog posts when we have something to say. We have better things to do than to respond to or worry about trolls." Given how the 21st century has now evolved to where death threats have become common over trivial things across large swathes of society I wouldn't blame them.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-10-31 at 09:26 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Ghostcrawler at least had the eye of design to realize that not everything should be perfectly balanced.
    Considerations about lack of balance are the most common, and recurring criticism thrown at Blizzard. What are you on about?

Whether its class balance, number of faction cities, or even the amount of mailboxes on each city, anything not balanced is cause of criticism, and very vocal one.

I just want someone new.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Frankly, I'd be down with Blizzard saying "We've had enough. We'll put out anonymous blog posts when we have something to say. We have better things to do than to respond to or worry about trolls."
    Is that really what you think the GAME DIRECTOR OF WORLD OF WARCRAFT does? Do you think he is EXTREMELY ONLINE? Do you think they put this much thought in who stood in front of the camera for *Two* feature videos in the last 4 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ion being replaced won't have any effect on the game. People here tinning that are.. well. Special.

It's like the morons who thinks firing the manager of a football team and getting some other guy in will magically change anything. Shit players are still shit.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Not sure if that criticism is targeted towards his work as encounter designer or as game designer, which in their role and overall impact are naturally quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Ion being replaced won't have any effect on the game. People here tinning that are.. well. Special.

It's like the morons who thinks firing the manager of a football team and getting some other guy in will magically change anything. Shit players are still shit.
    You gotta start somewhere. Why not at the top where the poop originates before it flows downstream?