View Poll Results: Allow transmogs to be acquired in pvp by killing a poor sod with said transmog on the

Voters
60. This poll is closed
  • Yay

6 10.00%
  • Nay

44 73.33%
  • Butts!

10 16.67%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Random idea: Allow people to obtain old transmogs by killing players

So you see someone walking around and think to yourself: "Hey that's a nice ass transmog, i would like to have that too.".

So you go over to him, kick the poor chum's ass and loot his butt.

It happens again, but this time the butt-to-be-looted is on your own faction.

So you come up with an overly complicated plan to lure him into a free-for-all world pvp area, and as you are trying to manipulate him into springing your trap on him he whispers to you "Hey wanna duel for a chance of getting this sweet mog? Just 1k per duel.".

After swift calculations involving the fact that you have roughly half of his Ilvl you fight him a couple of times and eventually you are indeed awarded The Butt you desired.

A practical way to get old mog pieces in a less restrictive and less repetitive fashion, an additional motivator to pvp and a way to potentially bypass grinding.
    Additionally it allows mogs to be shared either consensually or after a trial of skill (naturally involving 11 rogues and a boomkin, just to make it fair).

So: Yay / Nay / Butts?
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have just.. bounties being a world thing, so people can be tracked down in all zones if killed too many in PvP.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Nah, you don't deserve my transmog just because you beat me in pvp.

Unless that transmog is the current seasons elite set and we're doing ranked arenas.

Sure, but in classic transmog-acquiring fashion, enemy players have a completely random chance at dropping only one part of their xmog at a time, and you can only try for that xmog once a week

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Sure, but in classic transmog-acquiring fashion, enemy players have a completely random chance at dropping only one part of their xmog at a time, and you can only try for that xmog once a week
    Honestly why not?
    It prevents singular people being farmed for their mogs for one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Nah, you don't deserve my transmog just because you beat me in pvp.

Unless that transmog is the current seasons elite set and we're doing ranked arenas.
    Sounds like you're just scared of facing a little bit less predictable opposition. ^^
    A true gladiator would know that his fancy stuff is a permanent challenge, and if he is not up to it he should take it down.

But more realistically though: I'm mainly talking about the farm-mogs from i.e. unranked pvp or deprecated pve content, though it would be interesting to allow presently unobtainable gear to drop as well.
    Frankly e-peen has always been a laughable concept to me so "But i worked hard for it once!!111" is just a nonargument to me, alas mine is not the only way.

I mean i'll happily fight you for the current gear, but i can't do that for the old stuff which i might learn about only years later because i didn't play at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Sounds like you're just scared of facing a little bit less predictable opposition. ^^
    A true gladiator would know that his fancy stuff is a permanent challenge, and if he is not up to it he should take it down.

But more realistically though: I'm mainly talking about the farm-mogs from i.e. unranked pvp or deprecated pve content, though it would be interesting to allow presently unobtainable gear to drop as well.
    Frankly e-peen has always been a laughable concept to me so "But i worked hard for it once!!111" is just a nonargument to me, alas mine is not the only way.

I mean i'll happily fight you for the current gear, but i can't do that for the old stuff which i might learn about only years later because i didn't play at the time.
    Why should you get access to the gear I might have spent millions of gold on from BMAH just because you can gank me or beat me in a duel?

Is this inspired by that wow private server where you loot the other player or albion online where you fully loot the other player if you defeat him ???

Bleh. What an awful idea. Would quickly lead to people "selling" transmog for gold or real money. No thanks.

Why should you get access to the gear I might have spent millions of gold on from BMAH just because you can gank me or beat me in a duel?
    Because you lost, duh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Is this inspired by that wow private server where you loot the other player or albion online where you fully loot the other player if you defeat him ???
    I have not heard of such a server until now, and i have no idea what Albion even is.

This is how early UO was and the outcry was so great that they split the game in two halves. One that kept the original pvp rules and one that ended up being like all games are now. Guess which one was dead?

Because you lost, duh.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not heard of such a server until now, and i have no idea what Albion even is.
    there is a private server that is full custom, you start with a race and chose what skills you want from all classes and when you kill someone you loot a chest with items
    and albion online is a mmo game that when you are at the highest difficulty areas if you kill someone (or he kills you) you loot his corpse and get everything he has from items to mounts and even his inventory bags! fun game ! :P

Because you lost, duh.
    How about you just get good and acquire the gear on your own without needing silly catch up mechanics or welfare transmogs?

Feels like a very bad idea.
    Aside from the fact that folks would immediately be selling their “deaths” for gold/real money - it’s an objectively quicker way to get this stuff than the “real way” (crafting, drops, rating, etc). So people would quickly stop doing those other forms of content and just wait to murder/pay someone to be murdered.
    Imagine if someone had the gladiator tabard for a season (2400+ rating) and you just had to kill them once to get it.
    Big yikes to any motivation for anything aesthetic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because you lost, duh.
    And that's why it should never happen.

How about you just get good and acquire the gear on your own without needing silly catch up mechanics or welfare transmogs?
    How about you get good and just not lose to me?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    And that's why it should never happen.
    Tsk, no consequences to losing?
    Where's your inner elitist!

Honestly good people wouldn't mind it, they've nothing to fear here; their loot will stay exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Feels like a very bad idea.
    Aside from the fact that folks would immediately be selling their “deaths” for gold/real money - it’s an objectively quicker way to get this stuff than the “real way” (crafting, drops, rating, etc). So people would quickly stop doing those other forms of content and just wait to murder/pay someone to be murdered.
    Imagine if someone had the gladiator tabard for a season (2400+ rating) and you just had to kill them once to get it.
    Big yikes to any motivation for anything aesthetic.
    And what if it is, as another suggested, a once per week dropchance of just one piece?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    This is how early UO was and the outcry was so great that they split the game in two halves. One that kept the original pvp rules and one that ended up being like all games are now. Guess which one was dead?
    What is UO?
    Was it with all loot or just transmogs? You do realise it says nothing about any party losing access to a transmog, just about kne gaining.

Or we just delete pvp and be done with it at last.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    there is a private server that is full custom, you start with a race and chose what skills you want from all classes and when you kill someone you loot a chest with items
    and albion online is a mmo game that when you are at the highest difficulty areas if you kill someone (or he kills you) you loot his corpse and get everything he has from items to mounts and even his inventory bags! fun game ! :P
    That sounds, eh, like not my kind of game.

Personally i don't want to have to mind dying in a game, because at some point i am going to die - if i don't then i'm not playing the game to the fullest.

Which is why my suggestion is only about transmogs, not about anything with substance, and the losing party wouldn't need to lose access to it either.

I mean most transmogs are trivial to acquire anyway, does it really matter if i got the tusks of mannoroth from steamrolling SoO 20 times or from steamrolling someone who happened to display them on his character?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Or we just delete pvp and be done with it at last.
    Given PvE's low replay value it would be better to just ditch WoW entirely at that point.
    I mean i'm sure a few houseplants will keep playing, but nothing near enough to warrant serious investment in new content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Tsk, no consequences to losing?
    Where's your inner elitist!
    Since i'm not 14, i don't have one.

Oh god... are we still trying to revive the corpse of world pvp? No one cares.

I can just imagine the couple of players selling Corrupted Ashbringer, legacy elite gladiator sets, Anathema/Benediction etc etc.

Blizzard at one point looked into making legacy elite gladiator sets available to purchase for people earning certain ratings in current season. Obviously the official forums erupted in complaints from people not wanting to lose their exclusive mogs.

Just look at the debates regarding Mage Tower appearances from Legion on this very forum. There's a lot of people seemingly obsessed with the fact that they have access to cosmetics other people cannot acquire.

In other words, it'll never happen as some people seem to base their entire enjoyment of WoW on the fact that they can flex exclusive gear to others, as silly as that might seem.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*