10+ Year Old Account

Season of Mastery Changes for MC

https://classic.wowhead.com/news/sea...en-core-324695

As usual Wowhead has the info. Mostly just "More adds". Geddon got a lot of interesting changes though
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Hmm...yeah some encounters are just more adds but that changes the fight significantly as your raid has double to amount of shit to deal with before going to the boss or until you kill the boss. Lucifron shouldn't be a big change you'll just get everything together and aoe it down. But the bigger healthpools etc of stuff like Magmadar may be interesting. Garr is more interesting as is Sulfuron and Majordomo, and you'll actually get to see what the Ragnaros fight is like...

Honestly, this could get rather interesting with actually needing to progress MC. Can't wait to see what they do for the latter raids if this is the beginning.
    "DIE, INSECT!" - words to live by

A lot of these changes actually sounds good. It seems like they are trying to kill most of the common cheese tactics of every boss and tries to add elements that makes the fights more challenging instead of simply making them take longer or making them harder in the terms of everything becoming a enrage timer race, or a race until you are all out of mana on the healers.

And from what I understand they won't be buffing the trash? I certainly hope not as spending stupid amounts clearing trash, which is something you already do for far too long in Vanilla is the worst. We don't need anything increasing the amount of time players have to spend on trash mobs that's for sure.

But how well tested are these changes? The release feel rushed. All these changes to Molten Core with less than three weeks until release? No one is going to level 60 and inside Molten Core for the first few days but still.

These changes needs to be tested to ensure that the increase in health and the more difficult mechanics doesn't make things impossible It will be utterly stupid for Molten Core to release in this buffed state for it to only get nerfed a few weeks later as a result of the changes make it next to impossible for players to complete. Please for the love of God make sure that things are thoroughly tested before release. We don't want this to become like Retail where things change around a lot per hotfix patch because of bad planning and lack of testing.

It would be really interesting if Blizzard actually took their time to make this more comprehensive. All changes in Season of Mastery looks and sounds good. But this could have become so much more if they didn't rush it all. Why not wait a few more months taking your time tweaking additional aspects of the game. Season of Mastery is clearly trying to make Vanilla into a harder version of itself so why not tweak the world, quests, mobs, dungeons etc to reflect this as well? It would be awesome if these kind of changes wasn't happening to the RAID's only.

yeah they said they were going to add things that were removed, not redo the fights completely. given the low level of tech at the time, they definitely
    leaned on more adds for difficulty

Shazzra and Geddon changes seems interesting.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    yeah they said they were going to add things that were removed, not redo the fights completely. given the low level of tech at the time, they definitely
    leaned on more adds for difficulty
    Imagine if they didn't rush the release. They could have spent some time trying various things, having them tested on the PTR before making final decisions. Instead of giving themselves no time at all by announcing the release of Season of Mastery out of nowhere and it being in less than three weeks..

Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
    Imagine if they didn't rush the release. They could have spent some time trying various things, having them tested on the PTR before making final decisions. Instead of giving themselves no time at all by announcing the release of Season of Mastery out of nowhere and it being in less than three weeks..
    nah if its a seasonal things it definitely gonna be a stepping stone kinda thing. they wanna dip their toes in the water

Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
    I actually really like the direction they are going with with the bosses here but feel like the season of mastery is being rushed and they could add in a lot more stuff. I think it's a good step, but at the same time, think it would be far more interesting if they added in shit like new zones, new raids, and new dungeons. Classic wow had a lot of ideas that ultimately did not make it into the game, if blizz actually made steps to fix this, I got a feeling the season of mastery could be bigger than the rerelease of classic was.

I think what they did was a really good first season shift. Not totally insane. Just enough changes to make the flavor a little different. At least it wasn't just "they got more HP" type of thing only. That would have just been meh af.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually not excited for the raid changes at all. What I loved about classic was the casual, chill and fairly easy raiding. It was something you did with your guild, which was always a bunch of friends, and you avoided so much drama and anger by not wiping, and you saved time, making it super easy for someone like me, in their mid thirties to enjoy it. Focus was on community, not on the encounters, which was great.

Now, this is closer to retail, and to clear MC, it will prolly involve wipes and be far more time consuming, I don't really have any interest in any of that. I mean SSC/TK is getting too hard and time consuming for my taste.

I can handle challenge, did some hard raiding over the years in retail, but I don't enjoy it. Not ashamed to say I HATE wiping, rather always one shot every boss without much challenge, cause the fun for me is to do something in a group, and to have fun, laughing on discord while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I'm actually not excited for the raid changes at all. What I loved about classic was the casual, chill and fairly easy raiding. It was something you did with your guild, which was always a bunch of friends, and you avoided so much drama and anger by not wiping, and you saved time, making it super easy for someone like me, in their mid thirties to enjoy it. Focus was on community, not on the encounters, which was great.

Now, this is closer to retail, and to clear MC, it will prolly involve wipes and be far more time consuming, I don't really have any interest in any of that. I mean SSC/TK is getting too hard and time consuming for my taste.

I can handle challenge, did some hard raiding over the years in retail, but I don't enjoy it. Not ashamed to say I HATE wiping, rather always one shot every boss without much challenge, cause the fun for me is to do something in a group, and to have fun, laughing on discord while doing it.
    These changes are nowhere close to the difficulty of retail. These raids will still be easier than TBC raids.

Regardless, the season is called season of MASTERY. You might not be the target demographic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    These changes are nowhere close to the difficulty of retail. These raids will still be easier than TBC raids.

Regardless, the season is called season of MASTERY. You might not be the target demographic
    No, this will prolly not be for me. I still actively play TBC Classic with my guild, and will continue with that for years if I'm allowed, as I liked all expansion up to WoD and would actually play those if made classic.

BUT, vanilla is still my favorite time of the game, and sadly classic era is completely dead in comparison to TBC etc. I would have loved fresh Classic servers that are NOT Season of Mastery, but that's pretty much not gonna happen now. Never played private servers and have no interest in that either.

Even if TBC is harder, I simply won't have time to play both TBC and SoM if the raids in SoM are buffed. Would have worked if it was like in classic and you clear the raids fast and easy
    Last edited by Battlebeard; 2021-11-08 at 03:11 AM.

Some of these changes are interesting. If they put in the change where Onyxia conflags the target of her fireball some people are gonna be super salty. At least it'll add some sort of a challenge to the opening tier of raiding instead of standing still pressing 1 button and collecting loot in 30 seconds. It was ridiculous that players in dungeon gear were demolishing Rag before the sons phase the first week of raiding. I like that blizzard addressed the boosting issues, made leveling easier and added some fresh quirks to raid encounters. Of course those who are pining for a true "classic+" are going to whine because there are no class changes, but give blizzard credit for going out and doing something different. There will definitely be a market for SOM, I just hope they don't over do it with the # of servers and end up with ghost towns.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those changes are actually pretty cool TBH and while I see people moaning about adds, they all sort of add to the encounter in one way or another. It's a common complaint you see over the years, essentially people just want the boss to do something on it's own, instead of being fortified by adds. I don't really see the complaint either way.

The only issue I have with some of the changes is some of the timings of the abilities going off, and what some of the abilities do. Lucifrons adds can mind control, which is always an annoying ass mechanic in WoW when it doesn't have flags for who it can and can't mind control. There's a reason Lady Vashj had her MC removed pretty early on because it's just not a fun mechanic to deal with.

Something to keep in mind is that they can't go too deep with changes because the tools available are pretty limited, but these look pretty neat regardless.

Most of them are good even if some of them are pretty basic (Lucifron and Gehennas). I think putting a 60 minute timer on Ragnaros is really dumb though, especially considering that entails resetting the instance, killing trash and killing Majordomo all over again to respawn him (at least that's how it use to work). Granted, if you're spending 60 minutes on Ragnaros people probably want to take a break lol.

I think something they should consider is literally just putting you at the beginning of the instance if you release so that you aren't spending 6+ minutes getting back to the raid. Literally just wall off the starting area if a boss is in combat to prevent run backs until AFTER the encounter is over.

These changes honestly make MC harder than the OG BWL though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes me wonder what they're gonna pull out for BWL
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything