Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Yes, it's quite literally racist. The core tenet of being opposed to racism, which I believe in, remain "don't judge a book by its cover." In this case the book is a person, the cover is their appearance/gender/etc.

When you outright say "we will hire more X people because we have too many Y people working here" that is racist. Why? Because you're judging a book by its cover in doing so. You're saying "the qualifications are secondary to the person's appearance." The goal should always be to hire people who are best qualified.

If there's not an overwhelming number of people applying that are minorities, that's likely because there's not an overwhelming amount of them working in the field to begin with. That's a problem that can be addressed in other ways without spurning qualified candidates for someone less qualified but different looking.
    The problem with your argument is that it is based on the assumption that someone can't possibly be as qualified as white cisgender heterosexual men, and how dare anyone insist that someone *different* could possibly match the talent and brilliance of a white cisgender heterosexual man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    And yet from the pictures I've seen and the lawsuit I've read they ended up with a mostly white developer team, particularly at the management and supervisory level, and a frat-house office culture.
    It's almost as if a lack of gender *diversity* in management leads to poor management of inter-gender behavior. Weird. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that maybe diversity increases the ability to address issues...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun divorce View Post
    This wouldn't even be a problem if black parents didn't name their kids names like Lequantisha or Trayvonica.

Name your kids something normal, like James or Stefanie.

And if this is really an issue, go ahead and change your name. It isn't really oppression, when you can get rid of it by officially changing your name, by the same people, that are supposed to be a part of the systemic oppression affecting you.

Also Blizzard has always employed tons of ethnic minorities and tons of women. Go and watch their Blizzcons even from like 12 years ago. They have tons of Asians and women on the team and tons of black voice actors.

What's the issue?

Stop making shit up.
    There's a word for the idea that black names are abnormal and make people appear stupid... that word is "racism".
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's almost as if a lack of gender *diversity* in management leads to poor management of inter-gender behavior. Weird. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that maybe diversity increases the ability to address issues...
    It's a mystery.

It's disheartening to see so many here that in essence are saying that purity must be maintained. You can choose among the various purities on display. There's more than one.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    From a letter from Bobby Kotick we can deduct that Blizzard is going to force more attention towards hiring women and non binary people. (I have no idea what the last one means).

But I find it funny that lack of diversity of the development team aswell as Blizzard employees is the sole blame for the stagnation of World of Warcraft, even though the team that started wasn't at all diverse in skin tones and gender.

But we can theoretically prove that the "diverse" team as of now is producing a lesser product than the old guard of Blizzard Entertainment who were made up of simply caucasian men. Simply put because the game is withering and declining more steadily with each expansion they seem to put out.

But Blizzard isn't technically that diverse at all.
    I find it racist and sexist that Blizzard Entertainment and Bobby Kotick assume that white men in its entirety all think alike or that we are a hivemind with the same opinion. I thought that diversity meant different experiences and ideas coming to the table but here on they actually double down on their stance of hiring quotas and filling up statistics.

As if every white man on this planet is faced with the same kind of upbringing and same background.

Does Blizzard think that every white man, every caucasian, where Anglo Saxons, Germanic, Slavic, Nordic, Meditereans and others all come from the same background, the same culture, the same upbringing and the same thinking? Is Blizzard even aware that across the globe there lies an entire continent made up of white people with different nations, traditions, cultural upbringings and the like?

Is this some kind of backwards American mindset I'm seeing here?

And now from Ion's interview, and I quote:

is really fucking ironic considering the game is being butchered left and right by a small, vocal community on Twitter.

But I don't see any diversity present at Blizzard at all. Nor will they fix it. They all share the same political views, they all share the same mindset on their Twitter. They all share the same opinions on real life issues. They all seem to claim to be pretty open yet they barely, if at all go outside their hugbox on Twitter and will block people for merely giving feedback. They do not engage discussion at all. All they do is strut around like a winner on Twitter and circlejerk with eachother.

Mods, leave this post up if you aren't scared and are open for discussion, else you can censor it and put it hidden and swallowed in a "megathread" where discussion buries it.

Blizzard Entertainment can go eat shit.
    Listen I think diversity is a crock of shit. If someone is good for your job and has qualifications then hire them. If they happen to be all white males then thats just the way the cookie crumbles. I don't believe in not giving someone a chance based on their sex or sexual orientation but rather if they would be a good fit and have something to bring to the table.

It's a mystery.

It's disheartening to see so many here that in essence are saying that purity must be maintained. You can choose among the various purities on display.
    There is a reason that none of them can answer this simple question:

Which is more likely to discriminate: A hiring team of homogenous people or a hiring team of diverse people?
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Hiring managers and human resource professionals the world over are used to being directed to weigh certain soft metrics (read: skin color, sex) differently depending on the political climate.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Also, isn't this forbidden to discuss here? Who knows anymore.
    Last edited by Femininity; 2021-11-02 at 12:39 AM.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    Listen I think diversity is a crock of shit. If someone is good for your job and has qualifications then hire them. If they happen to be all white males then thats just the way the cookie crumbles. I don't believe in not giving someone a chance based on their sex or sexual orientation but rather if they would be a good fit and have something to bring to the table.
    That's a nice fantasy world, but in the real world what happens is human beings tend to identify and sympathize with people similar to themselves, causing them to favor candidates that match their own qualities.

Do you have an actual solution to that problem, or do you have pointless thought experiments about a fantasy world where that isn't the case?
    -ynnady

ITT: A massive bunch of people saying "hire based on merit" who absolutely and completely miss the point that "merit" is subjective, and the aspects of a person's merit that aren't subjective are still massively derived from their opportunity, which is affected by discrimination.

In other words, there are a lot of dumb arses in here.

If it mostly applies to widening recruiting so they have a more diverse qualified talent pool to hire from then no it isn't.
    So you've got 400 onions with which to make supper, but 398 of them are rotten. What have you gained?

What happened to just hiring the best person for the job and maybe, not being a jerk to them and treating them with respect?
    Feel like you have a target on your back around here?

Knowing this place, you probably do.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothall View Post
    So you've got 400 onions with which to make supper, but 398 of them are rotten. What have you gained?

What happened to just hiring the best person for the job and maybe, not being a jerk to them and treating them with respect?
    Nothing ever happened to that because it isn't how the world has ever worked.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account

That’s not really how it works. More often you need one onion and you have a dozen that would do. So what you set up there isn’t often a reality. What is apparently being missed is that the best idea is to expand recruiting well beyond stuff like referrals and word of mouth of friends of friends and then take a serious look at qualified applicants so they can make an office environment THAT WON’T GET DRAGGED INTO COURT. It’s a worthy goal and good for the company.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

There's a word for the idea that black names are abnormal and make people appear stupid... that word is "racism".
    They are not black names. They are names that black people recently have been coming up with because they want to appear even more special.

The problem with your argument is that it is based on the assumption that someone can't possibly be as qualified as white cisgender heterosexual men, and how dare anyone insist that someone *different* could possibly match the talent and brilliance of a white cisgender heterosexual man.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I think black people that choose names that are supposed to be indicative of their heritage or just playing the black card when it's convenient for them. They want their own history or culture to identify with. But here's the truth. Black History is American History. The blacks who came here as slaves were sold to Europeans by other black tribes in Africa. Those larger more powerful tribes enslaved their own people and sold them off as slaves to Europeans. Before they did however they raped the women and castrated the men so they couldn't reproduce.
    So black people had no home. They were cast out and enslaved by their own kind. Sold like cattle. The slavery system in Africa didn't officially even end until the 1980's! Sure there was people here who don't like change and wanted things to stay how they were. Those people never really considered that even though the lived in a sea of White that those people were all different and from different cultures and upbringings. This was why irish and italians used to have wars in early American history. Because they didn't like how each other lived.
    Bottom line is that American was and is a Melting pot. Whoever you are, whoever you were, once you become an American that's now what you are. Once here we need to all treat each other fairly. That doen't mean you have to like each and every person and if someone doesn't like you oh well that's life. People were ignorant and pretended everyone was the same just because of their color when in fact they were all different.

Today many black Americans want to believe there was this magical place where they all lived like kings and queens before white American ancestors ripped them from their homes. So they create this false history and names that are indicative of that idea, rebelling against the common white American names and cultures that aren't their own. When in fact that is all a lie. Don't believe me ? Go look up any info you want from legitimate sources and find out for yourself.

TLDR; we need to unite as a country and as a people and stop looking for others to blame. Become the great nation our forefathers intended. Let's be the change we want to see in others.

Part of the problem is that "being the best for the job" is a lot easier for some than for others, its not really a fair fight. Like imagine if we play a game of Monopoly and you started with 200$ and I started with 20,000$. Do I have an advantage?

Someone selling those properties don't care that you are disadvantaged. Its all fun to say "best person for the job" when its probably just easier for you to to live up to your full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    neither because likelihood to discriminate isn't based on how homogenous the group is...
    That's delusional. If you think a hiring panel that includes black people is equally as likely to hire black people as a hiring panel that does not include any black people is, you are not living in the real world.

I'd love to hear your explanation for why black sounding names received 50% less callbacks from applications as white sounding names.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by FrostHate View Post
    "We can’t just open up a position, take the first couple dozen resumes, look through them, and pick someone out of that pile, because we may just get a couple dozen white male resumes,"

Imagine if the mentioned group was literally any other than "white males". Ion would've been fired the moment this interview was published.
    It's perfectly fine now to say you will have second thoughts about hiring people just because they are white lmaoooo xD
    Haha im so glad im not white.

snip
    It really doesn't matter what you think, discriminating based on a name is just stupid and most likely racist/sexist.

That’s not really how it works. More often you need one onion and you have a dozen that would do. So what you set up there isn’t often a reality. What is apparently being missed is that the best idea is to expand recruiting well beyond stuff like referrals and word of mouth of friends of friends and then take a serious look at qualified applicants so they can make an office environment THAT WON’T GET DRAGGED INTO COURT. It’s a worthy goal and good for the company.
    Yeah this is Bullshit. Your acting like a dozen onions are all the same. They are not. There is always a difference. It's not a vacuum where each person is identical except for the color of their skin and sexual preference or if you identify as an onion or a male or whatever. There is always a difference that can be relatable to the job at hand. This crap only happens in sit down jobs where people don't work all that hard other than typing. If you go into most blue collar jobs there are all sorts of people but you don't see many women. I was a boss and currently own my own company. I hardly ever get a female applicant for the work I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    i've never met any smart people whose named end in y... all the jimmy i've encountered or johnny and so on i've encountered have been among the dumbest people i've met...

i've also never met any smart people who were named daenerys or stuff like that from movies/series lol...
    I mean, thats unfortunate for you, but it isn't really indicative of anything.

I think black people that choose names that are supposed to be indicative of their heritage or just playing the black card when it's convenient for them. They want their own history or culture to identify with. But here's the truth. Black History is American History. The blacks who came here as slaves were sold to Europeans by other black tribes in Africa. Those larger more powerful tribes enslaved their own people and sold them off as slaves to Europeans. Before they did however they raped the women and castrated the men so they couldn't reproduce.
    So black people had no home. They were cast out and enslaved by their own kind. Sold like cattle. The slavery system in Africa didn't officially even end until the 1980's! Sure there was people here who don't like change and wanted things to stay how they were. Those people never really considered that even though the lived in a sea of White that those people were all different and from different cultures and upbringings. This was why irish and italians used to have wars in early American history. Because they didn't like how each other lived.
    Bottom line is that American was and is a Melting pot. Whoever you are, whoever you were, once you become an American that's now what you are. Once here we need to all treat each other fairly. That doen't mean you have to like each and every person and if someone doesn't like you oh well that's life. People were ignorant and pretended everyone was the same just because of their color when in fact they were all different.

Today many black Americans want to believe there was this magical place where they all lived like kings and queens before white American ancestors ripped them from their homes. So they create this false history and names that are indicative of that idea, rebelling against the common white American names and cultures that aren't their own. When in fact that is all a lie. Don't believe me ? Go look up any info you want from legitimate sources and find out for yourself.

TLDR; we need to unite as a country and as a people and stop looking for others to blame. Become the great nation our forefathers intended. Let's be the change we want to see in others.
    Your history is so insanely incorrect that I'm not sure where to start. Slavery systems in Africa were almost never chattel slavery, so comparing it is stupid. The idea that one tribe capturing another and selling to white people somehow absolves the white people is bizarre anti-morality, and it doesn't matter because it isn't true. Europeans forced the tribes to capture others for them under threat of violence. The slave trade started when the Portuguese began raiding the Western coast of Africa to capture slaves. This proved dangerous and ineffective, so they established an arrangement with those tribes: We will stop killing and enslaving you if you bring us slaves. Tribes which failed to meet the quotas set by Europeans were enslaved themselves, or slaughtered. Other nations followed the model of the Portuguese when they arrived. The idea that Europeans showed up and then they and the tribes they found had a jolly good laugh while they traded other people is absurd, ridiculous, and ignorant in the extreme. Read a book instead of watching a youtube video once in awhile.

For you to lecture me about "legitimate sources" when I have an MA in history and you know fuck all is rich.
    -ynnady

The game isnt racist it just isnt very good any more.
    Improve it