Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Damn. I really thought Oregon would hit #6 at best. I'm genuinely shocked by those rankings. It's gotta be all the Ohio State win.
    Yeah and they barely lost to Stanford.

LOL these rankings are a joke.... They say there is no way a team could beat Bama but unranked A&M did so yes there is very much a chance it can happen. Bama and SEC bias is so damn strong the other conferences should tell them to F-off and run their own real playoff system... via conference champs facing each other. And poor Cinncy... the G5 school should REALLY be thinking of doing their own thing for a natty now.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    LOL these rankings are a joke.... They say there is no way a team could beat Bama but unranked A&M did so yes there is very much a chance it can happen. Bama and SEC bias is so damn strong the other conferences should tell them to F-off and run their own real playoff system... via conference champs facing each other. And poor Cinncy... the G5 school should REALLY be thinking of doing their own thing for a natty now.
    I'm 50/50 with your above. The SEC gets too much of a bias, but they also win the most CFP's/Bowl games. I hate Alabama and the SEC, so I hate pointing out the other side. IMO the SEC chewing itself up should mean something, but I can't argue with the current CFP rankings because whatever the fuck they did put Oregon at #4.

The Cinncy thing...man, they barely got by fucking Tulane. That game was awful. I get that teams have bad weeks, Oregon certainly had their share. But we're talking about a G5 team that wants to dance with the top four P5 teams. And of the currents would wipe their asses with Tulane. Consider that.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-11-03 at 02:58 AM.

You realize there’s only one member from an SEC school on the playoff committee right?

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/s...committee.aspx

Also, Texas A&M is 5-2 with two close losses, so it’s not like Alabama lost to a shitty team. And Bama’ lost by 3 at that. Alabama would annihilate Cincinnati.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-11-03 at 03:03 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Georgia has a pretty easy final few games. Not knocking it, just pointing out. Their defense if fucking insane.

Georgia has a pretty easy final few games. Not knocking it, just pointing out. Their defense if fucking insane.
    Yeah I’ll be very surprised if Georgia doesn’t win the whole thing. I would have loved to see this years Georgia vs Joe Burrow LSU.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah I’ll be very surprised if Georgia doesn’t win the whole thing. I would have loved to see this years Georgia vs Joe Burrow LSU.
    Agreed. And yeah, that would be a good game.

I think Alabama should be 3 or 4. The only ranking I really disagree with is Michigan ahead of Oklahoma. I get Oklahoma doesn't have a good win but they really don't either. Both still have a chance to move up so it doesn't really matter.

Its interesting that they didn't rank SMU or Houston in the top 25, really hurts Cincinnati. Conspiracy theory but they really don't want Cincinnati in the playoffs.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ohio State has a fucking awful remaining schedule. #3, #7, and then Purdue and Nebraska for shits and giggles.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and they barely lost to Stanford.
    That was so painful to watch. And Stanford does that to Oregon a LOT.

You realize there’s only one member from an SEC school on the playoff committee right?

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/s...committee.aspx

Also, Texas A&M is 5-2 with two close losses, so it’s not like Alabama lost to a shitty team. And Bama’ lost by 3 at that. Alabama would annihilate Cincinnati.
    They can prove it on the field then... till then its only paper vs paper analytics

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 50/50 with your above. The SEC gets too much of a bias, but they also win the most CFP's/Bowl games. I hate Alabama and the SEC, so I hate pointing out the other side. IMO the SEC chewing itself up should mean something, but I can't argue with the current CFP rankings because whatever the fuck they did put Oregon at #4.

The Cinncy thing...man, they barely got by fucking Tulane. That game was awful. I get that teams have bad weeks, Oregon certainly had their share. But we're talking about a G5 team that wants to dance with the top four P5 teams. And of the currents would wipe their asses with Tulane. Consider that.
    top tier teams occasionally struggle with lower-tier teams, it's rare but it happens. There should be no room or need for bias in a playoff system, it should be purely record-based. If your conference is strong (SEC [which is really outside of Bama and this year UGA it's not any better than any other]) then toughen up or deal with it. You don't see divisions left out of the NFL playoffs cause it's a weak division. A strong division could get 2 teams in via wildcards though. It's just silly/stupid IMO that we still use such a system.

also, wasn't that game like 31-12? seems like a solid win even if they didn't play their best the full game.

They can prove it on the field then... till then its only paper vs paper analytics

- - - Updated - - -

top tier teams occasionally struggle with lower-tier teams, it's rare but it happens. There should be no room or need for bias in a playoff system, it should be purely record-based. If your conference is strong (SEC [which is really outside of Bama and this year UGA it's not any better than any other]) then toughen up or deal with it. You don't see divisions left out of the NFL playoffs cause it's a weak division. A strong division could get 2 teams in via wildcards though. It's just silly/stupid IMO that we still use such a system.

also, wasn't that game like 31-12? seems like a solid win even if they didn't play their best the full game.
    Yeah unfortunately. The amount of times the NFC East has been absolute ass cheeks, and fielded a barely above 500 or under team is too damn high. Meanwhile you have divisions like the NFC West where better teams get left out. Fortunately the Cowboys don’t seem to be a complete embarrassment this year, so hopefully they’ll field a good team. If they really wanted it to be about the best teams, they would do away with divisions, and just take the best teams top to bottom. Fortunately the NCAA has that with a playoff committee.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-11-03 at 01:47 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Agreed, they definitely do - I mean, ffs University of Washington lost to Montana, at home. So it happens.

I would entirely disagree with you about having a playoff - we had the record based system for a long time and it sucked. IMO we should expand the CFP to the 12 game model they came up with this year.

It was 31-12 at the end, but the game was much closer for most of the match. And for awhile it was 14-12. Although, as a counter to my point, Tulane was their only "close" game of the year in their division.

Yeah unfortunately. The amount of times the NFC East has been absolute ass cheeks, and fielded a barely above 500 or under team is too damn high. Meanwhile you have divisions like the NFC West where better teams get left out. Fortunately the Cowboys don’t seem to be a complete embarrassment this year, so hopefully they’ll field a good team. If they really wanted it to be about the best teams, they would do away with divisions, and just take the best teams top to bottom. Fortunately the NCAA has that with a playoff committee.
    yeah, we are on total opposite sides of the systems... I'd rather see talent spread out between teams which will never happen under the current system.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, they definitely do - I mean, ffs University of Washington lost to Montana, at home. So it happens.

I would entirely disagree with you about having a playoff - we had the record based system for a long time and it sucked. IMO we should expand the CFP to the 12 game model they came up with this year.

It was 31-12 at the end, but the game was much closer for most of the match. And for awhile it was 14-12. Although, as a counter to my point, Tulane was their only "close" game of the year in their division.
    When did we have a record based system? BCS? that had the stupid computer system and strength of schedule BS?

yeah, we are on total opposite sides of the systems... I'd rather see talent spread out between teams which will never happen under the current system.

- - - Updated - - -

When did we have a record based system? BCS? that had the stupid computer system and strength of schedule BS?
    And that worked out pretty well too, not quite as good as a playoff, but I don't think there's many arguments to be made about it. There was maybe one time that I can think of for sure when Michigan and Nebraska split the National Championship in 97'

So if there was a playoff you would have had

1. Michigan
    2. Nebraska
    3. Tennessee
    4. Florida State

And people maybe would have gotten to see Nebraska vs. Michigan

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Alabama would have to lose another regular season game, and the SEC Championship to not make it. If Alabama wins out and loses to an undefeated Georgia, they’re still in.
    You know the committee has turned into clown world when a team can have two losses and make it in over undefeated conference champs of the ACC and AAC

- - - Updated - - -
    @Crissi could you do me a favor and update the OP? It needs current AP and CFP rankings. Bit busy right now or I'd do it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we had a record based system for the entire history of college football until CFP came out. The BCS wasn't a tournament schedule, just 5 separate bowl games, based on record(ish). Prior to BCS it was just the polls, Coaches and the AP. We've had a record based system until the CFP was put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    You know the committee has turned into clown world when a team can have two losses and make it in over undefeated conference champs of the ACC and AAC

- - - Updated - - -
    @Crissi could you do me a favor and update the OP? It needs current AP and CFP rankings. Bit busy right now or I'd do it.
    Nah not really. There’s plenty of 2 loss teams that are better than Cincinnati. Texas A&M, Penn State, Ole Miss., Auburn, etc…
    Last edited by muto; 2021-11-03 at 06:20 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Nah not really. There’s plenty of 2 loss teams that are better than Cincinnati. Texas A&M, Penn State, Ole Miss., Auburn, etc…
    Okay, a two loss team still shouldn't get to the playoffs in a four team system, which was my point.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have to say, I've turned a bit on this Cinncy issue. Even winning out, and that win over Notre Dame on the road, while good, is just one win against a P5 team.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-11-03 at 09:41 PM.

The rankings are fine. I think Michigan State being rated 3rd while Oklahoma is 8th doesn't make much sense, both are undefeated teams who haven't been particularly impressive. But you know what, that will work itself out. If either team wins out they will have the resume to get in, so whatever. For what it's worth, every rating system hates Michigan State - fivethirtyeight gives them an 8% chance of winning out. Overrating MSU now is largely irrelevant, because if they win out they will deserve the rating, and if they lose they're most likely done anyway.

For the Cincy thing... I don't really care. There's no evidence that any of these power 5 teams actually would be a threat to win the playoff - they're right around .500 in the new year's bowl games, which to me sounds like they are properly placed. Last year Cincy played Georgia close in score but Georgia actually dominated the game, gaining nearly 50% more yards. And most rating systems actually have Cincy in 5th or 6th, with prediction systems putting them in 8th. Sagarin has them with the 94th ranked schedule.

I'd honestly prefer it if they just explicitly said the playoff was only for the power 5 teams so we would stop having to hear about it. Either that, or expand the playoff, because there aren't enough spots if you want like 8 conference to have a shot and only 4 teams get in.

BTW, if Oklahoma beats Baylor this week, get ready for the howls to get louder if they leapfrog Cincy for the 6th spot lol...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, we had a record based system for the entire history of college football until CFP came out. The BCS wasn't a tournament schedule, just 5 separate bowl games, based on record(ish). Prior to BCS it was just the polls, Coaches and the AP. We've had a record based system until the CFP was put in place.
    Huh? Prior to BCS the bowls could do whatever they want. Some had conference tie-ins, but Fiesta Bowl could invite whoever they wanted, and Cotton, Sugar, and Orange could invite at least 1 at large. The only bowl with locked in participants was the Rose. There was no real national champion it was just polls.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-11-03 at 10:22 PM.