Fidelity FX SuperResolution / Point added

I noticed this is something new under advanced "resample quality" settings which had old bilinear and bicubic,it also has "resample sharpness" option 0-2.

What is this ? i see no difference with nvidia card,what should i set to ? i didnt find anything useful.

That's interesting, I had no idea WoW was going to support FSR. If you're familiar with DLSS, FSR is similar tech, except it looks worse at every quality level, but has the distinct advantage of working on every GPU, not just newer Nvidia GPUs.

FSR basically takes a lower-resolution picture and then spatially upscales it, applying an edge reconstruction filter and then sharpness to address blurriness. So if you normally run at 4k (3840x2160), FSR ultra quality mode would actually render the game to 2954x1662 and then upscale it, so you'd get higher framerates.

FSR generally looks pretty good at ultra quality mode with an output resolution of 4k, and decent outputting 1440p. I wouldn't use it at 1080p output. Also the lower quality FSR modes (quality, balanced, and performance) really impact image quality, making everything look noticeably blurry.

In WoW it looks like FSR is only active if you turn it on in advanced graphics options and drop the resolution scale below 100% in general graphics options. WoW always supported resolution scaling so if you used it before, you should definitely turn on FSR. It'll look much better than before.

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, IMO this would be a good candidate for a front page article.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2021-11-05 at 07:02 PM.

Yep im using 1920x1080 monitor,so what should i set to ?

its default set on fidelity fx superesolution and resample sharpness to 0.2 and 100% resolution scale.

There is also new stuff called Point,and the old ones bilinear and bicubic.Im just trying to get as much fps as possible without looking terrible.

At 100% resolution scale it's turned off.

If your game is running slowly, you can try maybe 90% resolution scale and see how it looks. Otherwise I wouldn't scale your resolution at all. FSR generally doesn't work well at 1080p output res as there isn't enough data in the lower-resolution rendered image to make the output look good and FSR is a spatial upscaler that doesn't use motion vectors or previous frames, that's why DLSS is much better.

If you do upscale, I would definitely use FSR. Point would look pixellated, bilinear/bicubic looks blurry. FSR does edge reconstruction to make edges look sharp without being blurry, and applies a sharpness filter to make textures look better, so it's the best choice out of the four.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2021-11-05 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    At 100% resolution scale it's turned off.

If your game is running slowly, you can try maybe 90% resolution scale and see how it looks. Otherwise I wouldn't scale your resolution at all. FSR generally doesn't work well at 1080p output res as there isn't enough data in the lower-resolution rendered image to make the output look good.

If you do upscale, I would definitely use FSR. Point would look pixellated, bilinear/bicubic look blurry. FSR does edge reconstruction to make edges look sharp without being blurry, and applies a sharpness filter to make textures look better, so it's the best choice out of the four.

Yes,if i reset everything to a default its set to 0.2 and fidelity fx superresolution.If i understood well,its suppouse to downscale resolution to get higher fps but increase quality to make it look similiar or better.I tested it right now,downscaled my resolution to different scales,changed resample sharpness from 0.0 - 2.0 and it only sharpens or blurry wow,i see no difference in fps at all.

This crap is confusing in wow or im just dumb.

It should run faster unless you have a reasonably good GPU and are bottlenecked by CPU. It isn't tough to bottleneck WoW by CPU particularly running at only 1080p. You can check your GPU utilization in Windows task manager, it should be a bit lower when you downscale, so I guess you're saving some energy and heat at least.

At 1080p you probably don't want to downscale unless your framerates are poor, and if you're constrained by CPU it won't make any difference anyway.

Note FSR will always reduce image quality, even at "ultra quality" mode at 4k it's noticeable in most games if you freeze-frame, zoom-in, and do an A/B comparison. It isn't magical like DLSS. So you don't want to use it if you don't have to.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2021-11-05 at 07:33 PM.