Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, Mr. Freeze has always been one of Batman's more sympathetic villains. He does bad things...but he does them because he wants to save his wife. If any of them could possibly be redeemed...Freeze is probably the most likely candidate. Most of Batman's other villains are unrepentent maniacs.

Though I've never understood why Dr. Victor Fries goes by "Mr. Freeze" while someone like Leonard Snart gets to be "Captain Cold". Snart, as far as I am aware, never earned the rank of Captain in any organization. C'mon Vic...you earned the Prefix.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not actually true at all. Sam Raimi's First Two Spider-Man movies were both excellent. SM 3 was, admittedly, a complete shitshow. Opinions range about TASM 1 and 2...but they are both better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X3, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Dark Phoenix.

And as for "Fox level bad" ... while they do have the stinkers mentioned above... "Logan" and "Deadpool" both say hi.
    Oh dont get me wrong I do love the OG spiderman 1 and 2 but the last one came out in 04. Im talking more recent stuff from Sony has been pretty bad.

Im gonna watch Morbius cause im a fan of any comic book movie I just have fairly low expectations. The Venom movies were average at best and im a big Tom Hardy fan :/

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    The Venom movies were average at best
    Wait, you mean you DIDN'T enjoy two black garbage bags fighting intertwined in front of a dark background at night? And a snarky killer symbiote relishing in bloodshed that's entirely implied and off-screen? HOW COME?!

Honestly I have very little hope for darker materials in a genre whose target demographic is PG-13. They did make Deadpool and Logan, I suppose, so all hope is not lost... But my suspicion is they'll stay away from the more serious stuff if they can avoid it.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Watched Eternals last night. I enjoyed the movie, it's very different to the standard fare when it comes to Marvel movies. No huge flashy fight scenes, very much focused more on story which is good cause moving forward I wanna see where they go from here

Snart, as far as I am aware, never earned the rank of Captain in any organization.
    Haha yeah, there's a WHOLE lot of "Captains" and "Doctors" in comics that I am NOT completely convinced ever earned ANY actual organizational rank or got any sort of actual PhD, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    GotG Vol. 3 has officially started production today. Still a ways off in 2023, but I’m excited as hell to see what James Gunn has in store for us.
    I have to say I hated gotg2 but gotg3 is one of the few movies on the upcoming slate I am really interested in(probably along with DS2). If he could cut back on the need for constant one liners by 50% gotg3 might actually be worth seeing. Just take the story itself somewhat seriously is all I ask.

Apparently BP2 has paused production because Letititia Wright (Shuri) got injured during filming, and needs some time to recover. Apparently, the rumor is that Shuri will take on the mantle of BP.

Doesn't make sense to me unless you want to argue it's a family thing only (then why the challenge at the waterfall ceremony?) It should have either been the head of the Rhino clan, or the lady who played Michonne in TWD (don't remember her Black Panther name).

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Apparently BP2 has paused production because Letititia Wright (Shuri) got injured during filming, and needs some time to recover. Apparently, the rumor is that Shuri will take on the mantle of BP.

Doesn't make sense to me unless you want to argue it's a family thing only (then why the challenge at the waterfall ceremony?) It should have either been the head of the Rhino clan, or the lady who played Michonne in TWD (don't remember her Black Panther name).
    I sincerely hope the head of the Rhino clan is in prison and not the Black Panther. And was the challenge for the Black Panther mantle or for being king of Wakanda? That's not neccessarily the same, is it? Okoye is a good candidate. Even Nekia would be a good candidate. M'baku too. Shuri could be a good Black Panther, especially if she can power herself up with even more tech, but idk if she could win a challenge at the waterfall if that's what she'd need to do. I don't think she could use tech and I'm not sure we have seen her fight without tech yet, did we?
    I've seen a video somewhere (don't remember which channel it was) that Nekia is going to have a son with T'Challa, so depending on when that child was born and when BP2 takes place, he could be in line for being BP. Although I doubt he'd already be ready in BP2 itself. But I also don't know if they are going to acknowledge the loss of the heart-shaped herb in any way, they might not have any at the moment.

Wasn't the plant that gave the power of the Black Panther completely destroyed (last one used to save T'Challa)? If so then I would have guessed the next BP would be more reliant on the tech aspects, so Shuri could certainly be a candidate for that.

She was injured a while ago and they only just paused filming. Not sure she’s the new BP given that.

- - - Updated - - -

The king gets to pick who is the Black Panther. That’s kinda how monarchies work.
    So was there ever a time in the comics where there was no king and no BP? If so, what happened?

For those interested: Panther's Rage: The First Marvel Graphic Novel (it's just a write up that I found interesting a while back)

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    So was there ever a time in the comics where there was no king and no BP? If so, what happened?
    Well, there was a time when there was a Queen of Wakanda...but there's pretty much always been a Black Panther in the comics.

This isn’t the comics.
    I know, but we were talking about the situation in MCU Wakanda right now (or rather, in BP2), with no king and no Black Panther and you chimed in with 'The king gets to pick who is the Black Panther', which is something that's not possible if there's no king, so my guess was you were talking about a situation where there is a king, which can't be the BP2 situation we were talking about, but must instead be the comics .. or any other medium that isn't the MCU during BP2. So.. if it's not in the comics and not in the MCU, what were you talking about?

Edit:
    Well, there was a time when there was a Queen of Wakanda...but there's pretty much always been a Black Panther in the comics.
    So Shuri is in line for the throne when T'Challa dies. Does she need to be confirmed by that waterfall-"council" like T'Challa was after his father died? He wasn't king just because he was T'Chaka's son, he was king only after his duel against M'Baku.
    I mean, Shuri could just bet on no one calling a duel, but would M'Baku pass on that chance?

Anyway, until there's a king or queen, there is no Black Panther, if I understood that right.. right?
    Last edited by formerShandalay; 2021-11-09 at 01:22 AM.

Hmm..
    King Azzuri--->King T'Chaka--->King T'Challa
    That was back when I was still reading comics. As I understand there was a change that had an adviser ruling before T'Challa who was too young at the time. (S'Yan)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm..
    King Azzuri--->King T'Chaka--->King T'Challa
    That was back when I was still reading comics. As I understand there was a change that had an adviser ruling before T'Challa who was too young at the time. (S'Yan)
    They could go with that if (big if) the story about T'Challa's and Nekia's son is true.

10+ Year Old Account

Her family/clan is "the Royal Family of Wakanda". They're a clan unto themselves, and if they stop being the ruling class, that's gonna shake some things up. It's not that they CAN'T be removed, it's that traditionally, that's the role they've held. The challenge at the waterfall CAN change it, it just HASN'T, in the past.

If it's gonna be Shuri, they need to do one of two things; either have her fight and win in a waterfall challenge (may feel too same-y) or split the Black Panther and King of Wakanda titles, as it was when T'Chaka was King but T'Challa was Black Panther. Then, whoever becomes King/Queen can designate Shuri as the Black Panther, perhaps to give her family a purpose and keep them occupied as much as anything else. I'm hoping it's the latter.

So Shuri is in line for the throne when T'Challa dies. Does she need to be confirmed by that waterfall-"council" like T'Challa was after his father died? He wasn't king just because he was T'Chaka's son, he was king only after his duel against M'Baku.
    Anyone can be considered "in line" for the throne. Tradition dictates that the heir of the former ruler will rule if no one challenges. And challenges are fairly uncommon occurences.

I mean, Shuri could just bet on no one calling a duel, but would M'Baku pass on that chance?
    Quite Possible. He challenged T'Challa because he didn't believe he was worthy..but once T'challa earned his respect...he was the most loyal of his subjects. He might feel that the best way to honour T'Challa would be to allow Shuri to take the throne.

Anyway, until there's a king or queen, there is no Black Panther, if I understood that right.. right?
    No, T'challa was still Black Panther after his father died and before he became King. He was only stripped of the effects of the heart-shaped herb before the ceremony so that any challenges would be fair fights.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-11-09 at 01:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He opposed T'Challa because he thought T'Challa was weak and would bring ruin to Wakanda. And he was almost right. The challenge was less "I definitely should lead" and more "if you can't beat me, you don't deserve it". That's why M'Baku is largely friendly after that; he lost, and that satisfied him completely.

He MIGHT challenge Shuri, someone else might and he could be satisfied with that outcome, or it could be a lot more complicated.

Officially?

There's always a chance Shuri just takes some of the remaining herb or synthesizes an artificial version and takes it herself, and designates herself "Black Panther" in her brother's name, no matter what the Wakandans want to say about it. She's got the tech skills to take off on her own.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone can be considered "in line" for the throne. Tradition dictates that the heir of the former ruler will rule if no one challenges.
    Even there, the way they presented it, it looks more like the heir just steps out and says "I'm gonna be King, come at me if you disagree". It isn't a strict inheritance, but the clans might refuse to challenge and respect an inheritance. But that still comes down, fundamentally, to a single person saying "I'm King now" and no one challenging it, not actually any direct transfer of power through bloodlines.

Anyone can be considered "in line" for the throne. Tradition dictates that the heir of the former ruler will rule if no one challenges.

Quite Possible. He challenged T'Challa because he didn't believe he was worthy..but once T'challa earned his respect...he was the most loyal of his subjects. He might feel that the best way to honour T'Challa would be to allow Shuri to take the throne.

No, T'challa was still Black Panther after his father died and before he became King. He was only stripped of the effects of the heart-shaped herb before the ceremony so that any challenges would be fair fights.
    I meant in the event of BP2, when T'Challa is dead, which means there is no king and no Black Panther. That would mean there would be no Black Panther until there is a king or queen? Or could they, say, make a council decision for it? I think that'd be alright, but I'm not sure if that's in line with Wakandan tradition or even if they'd break tradition in such a special case.

Edit: or what @Endus said, of course I'm not sure however if Shuri would want to get into any discussions about that with the 'elders', she didn't seem to be on very good terms with them ^^ Although if there's actually the need for a Black Panther in some way, she'd still do it and tell the elders she's going to give the mantle up once the problem is solved or something like that.
    Last edited by formerShandalay; 2021-11-09 at 01:49 AM.

I meant in the event of BP2, when T'Challa is dead, which means there is no king and no Black Panther. That would mean there would be no Black Panther until there is a king or queen? Or could they, say, make a council decision for it? I think that'd be alright, but I'm not sure if that's in line with Wakandan tradition or even if they'd break tradition in such a special case.
    We don't really know exactly how BP2 is going to handle the transfer of power. We don't know who was ruling after T'challa got snapped out. It's been 5 years since then.

We don't really know exactly how BP2 is going to handle the transfer of power. We don't know who was ruling after T'challa got snapped out. It's been 5 years since then.
    Oh right, I totally forgot! They may have made someone Black Panther (if they were able to get more herb) during the time T'Challa wasn't there and even may have had another king or queen. It's not like they actually had reason to think T'Challa would come back. Shuri was counted as 'dusted' iirc in Endgame, so it can't have been her. But yea, they probably have everything already in place when T'Challa dies.