Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    At some point I imagine I will but right now I don't see a single reason why I should

Not right away; I'll wait it out a bit as with any previous Windows.

I'll let my company's IT test it out 1st.
    Then i'll upgrade on my work laptop; just to get the feel for it.
    About a monh after that my personal laptop+PC get a turn.

I have no intention to update my PC just yet so currently no. If W11 turns out to be good and I get myself a new CPU I will probably update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Installed it 24 hours ago and it's not that bad IMO. Made an ISO into a cheap USB 2.0 stick with Rufus, then went ahead with backups and a clean reinstall onto the 256GB SSD. The actual install only took about half an hour, I was ready for an all nighter after reading @Syn20 's post. There was also a dodgy moment when it took about 10 minutes to connect to the internet before it could proceed.

Once in, first thing I did was to unlink the account to Microsoft; I enabled the Administrator account, logged in with it and fully deleted the other one. Then I tried to make a new local account but for some reason the Administrator UI was missing that feature. Luckily the command line worked and I made a new local account without the Microsoft sign in and was able to name it properly with the Users folder named correctly once the original setup account was deleted and out the way.

Agree with the taskbar being a bit screwed up, but as far as Task Manager is concerned I opened up Windows Tools and pinned it to the taskbar from there. Start menu doesn't bother me that much, you could always download an app launcher or write your own. Context menu is bit weird though, it's like an App with the default menu underneath like they did with Settings and the Control Panel.

Spent most of today configuring, debloating, yes a few registry hacks are needed, and restoring programs. Tip: go ahead and update 'App Installer' through the Microsoft Store then you can use the 'winget' command from the terminal to get rid of a load of apps.

No regrets, I'll probably stick with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Twoddle As you seem to know your stuff, I'm curious: I was able to make a local account when doing the initial install (after it trying to tell me a million times how "beneficial" a Microsoft account is). Weren't you able to do it that way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    @Twoddle As you seem to know your stuff, I'm curious: I was able to make a local account when doing the initial install (after it trying to tell me a million times how "beneficial" a Microsoft account is). Weren't you able to do it that way?
    AFAIA you can't get around it with the home edition. You can make another local account but I wanted it in the same name as the one I set up. You can rename the account but you can't rename the underlying Users folder name so because of my OCD I was forced to do it the way I did so that the Users folder would be named correctly.

do not see much point in switching just yet aaaand too much used to vertical taskbar and they decided to give up on that option for some reason soo...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    AFAIA you can't get around it with the home edition. You can make another local account but I wanted it in the same name as the one I set up. You can rename the account but you can't rename the underlying Users folder name so because of my OCD I was forced to do it the way I did.
    Aaah, I see. Yeah I'm on Windows 11 Pro, which I assume is why it let me do it at install.

Your write up is good though, for those on the Home edition!

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can't see any reason to
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Installed it 24 hours ago and it's not that bad IMO. Made an ISO into a cheap USB 2.0 stick with Rufus, then went ahead with backups and a clean reinstall onto the 256GB SSD. The actual install only took about half an hour, I was ready for an all nighter after reading @Syn20 's post. There was also a dodgy moment when it took about 10 minutes to connect to the internet before it could proceed.

Once in, first thing I did was to unlink the account to Microsoft; I enabled the Administrator account, logged in with it and fully deleted the other one. Then I tried to make a new local account but for some reason the Administrator UI was missing that feature. Luckily the command line worked and I made a new local account without the Microsoft sign in and was able to name it properly with the Users folder named correctly once the original setup account was deleted and out the way.

Agree with the taskbar being a bit screwed up, but as far as Task Manager is concerned I opened up Windows Tools and pinned it to the taskbar from there. Start menu doesn't bother me that much, you could always download an app launcher or write your own. Context menu is bit weird though, it's like an App with the default menu underneath like they did with Settings and the Control Panel.

Spent most of today configuring, debloating, yes a few registry hacks are needed, and restoring programs. Tip: go ahead and update 'App Installer' through the Microsoft Store then you can use the 'winget' command from the terminal to get rid of a load of apps.

No regrets, I'll probably stick with it.
    Why would you unlink the Microsoft account? I have always thought that was one of the silliest things people do. Local accounts are useless in my opinion.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Why would you unlink the Microsoft account? I have always thought that was one of the silliest things people do. Local accounts are useless in my opinion.
    Local accounts do everything I need to, and nothing I don't.

What benefits are there to having an MS account over a local one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Local accounts allow people to use their computer without the need of a internet conection. I, for example, i only turn my internet conection after i log in to the computer because my router requires extra autenthication, if i don't do the required autenthication then the router is useless, which means i wouldn't be hable to use my computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it doesn't benefit me for my use case and I don't wish to buy into the App model, there's another platform for that. If I want to sign in to Microsoft I'll do it when I choose to like when checking my email in the browser instead of being forced to when firing up the OS, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Many, but the biggest one for me is syncing all my Windows devices so if for example I add a favorite on one, it shows up on the others. Also not having to log in all the time is great. I set my computer to automatically log me in at startup without having to give a PIN or password. Those things annoy me.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics

10+ Year Old Account
    Many, but the biggest one for me is syncing all my Windows devices so if for example I add a favorite on one, it shows up on the others.
    How many do you have? I have 2 that are used for wildly different things so there's no real reason for me to sync things other than like, a browser.. Which gets synced by logging into the browser anyway

Also not having to log in all the time is great. I set my computer to automatically log me in at startup without having to give a PIN or password. Those things annoy me.
    You can also do that with a non-MS account. I literally don't have a password on my home PC and it just dumps me straight into windows when I turn it on, while my laptop has a password so people who aren't me are less likely to get in

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Key becomes tied to the account, which is great for rebuilds or when building a new machine. That alone was enough for me. I have 3 keys tied to my account and can move them around as i see fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Local accounts allow people to use their computer without the need of a internet conection. I, for example, i only turn my internet conection after i log in to the computer because my router requires extra autenthication, if i don't do the required autenthication then the router is useless, which means i wouldn't be hable to use my computer.
    That isnt how they work. I can log into my machine with no internet just fine. And ive never purchased a single App from the Microsoft Store. In fact, ive never even opened the MS store.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    You dont need an internet connection to use your computer. It just wont sync anything youve done until you get a connection, just like a Chromebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Key becomes tied to the account, which is great for rebuilds or when building a new machine. That alone was enough for me. I have 3 keys tied to my account and can move them around as i see fit.
    Yeah that's a pretty good reason if you rebuild a lot

I'm in the MS account is kinda useless boat too.

IMO the only real cool thing about syncing was wallpapers (my bookmarks are all in Firefox)
    *and looks like they are doing away with wallpaper sync (and some other of the roaming profile syncing too) in 11 (and maybe even in the last build of 10).

all my PC's have the serial attached to the Hardware so I can just re image it whenever I want and it auto activates anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had Windows 11 for a few weeks now and I'm going back to Windows 10.
    This is the first time since the 90s that I'm downgrading Windows. I just haven't found anything intuitive in the new Windows and I hate the "more options" button when you rightclick on desktop. It's usually a ton of hidden things I often use that requires another click.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I've had Windows 11 for a few weeks now and I'm going back to Windows 10.
    This is the first time since the 90s that I'm downgrading Windows. I just haven't found anything intuitive in the new Windows and I hate the "more options" button when you rightclick on desktop. It's usually a ton of hidden things I often use that requires another click.
    There's an easy fix for that.