Poll: Do you feel SL is the conclusion to a bigger story?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It feels like a conclusion of whole World of Warcraft tbh (with some loose ends).

Its kinda funny how these new devs are removing so many things that previous devs put into the game but they are also using their better work to promote their own lower quality story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancaris View Post
    And here we go again. If you listen without redeyes of hate
    Thank you for assuming things about me, alas you're wrong - my eyes are perfectly white, brown and black in color, absolutely no red. And though, admittedly, I'm not a fan of their recent storytelling, I'm also not a hater, because - you know - not liking something is absolutely fine.

So, please, if you don't agree with me for whatever reason, tell me why. I'd be happy to read your arguments and have a civil discussion, because unlike what you assumed, I asked an honest question and simply expressed my opinion. There's no reason for you to be hostile.

"conclusion to the one book of Warcraft saga", now first one.
    It still means that Shadowlands is a conclusion to some grand story that unfolded over a longer period of time - which is exactly what I asked about. At least that's how I understand what Steve said, though perhaps I mistitled the threat a bit. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    It feels like a conclusion of whole World of Warcraft tbh (with some loose ends).
    Oh, how so? Could you elaborate? I'm genuinely curious what makes you think that! Perhaps there's something that I've missed!
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2021-11-12 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    It still means that Shadowlands is a conclusion to some grand story that unfolded over a longer period of time - which is exactly what I asked about. At least that's how I understand what Steve said, though admittedly - I may have mistitled the threat a bit. My bad.
    Well, we have conclusion to some grand story - and its a story of Sylvanas, no? With some smaller arcs have some more points as Mograine, Thrall and Draka, Uther.
    Shame that we dont have Arthas story, but for me its even good. Devs can butcher it as well. Oh, and Baine still sits there, in Oribos. But who cares about taurens, right?
    And for all of that, i dream about some minor 9.3 patch with that kind of small stories. Baine with Cairne, Saurfang with his son, Durotan and Draka with Thrall. Arthas with Jaina, Jaina with Daelin. And Vol'jin still sleeping in Ardenweald. We dont need new locations with that. Even meeting in Oribos will work. Just give us some lore with familiar faces, not some shitfaced brokers, or automata(the f*ck) and other alien dudes.

Only thing SL has concluded is my trust in their skill to write a story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the implication here is that Shadowlands is meant to conclude the portion of the Warcraft saga that was focused singularly on Azeroth and things happening on or to it, and opening the door to a wider context of conflicts. Our dealing with Zovaal and his implied threat to Azeroth will lead to the machinations of beings working behind the scenes across the metacosm. Larger scope conflicts like the battle between the Light and the Void, Order and Disorder, Life and Death, and so on will likely be the fuel for Wow's future expansions and content.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Shadowlands fucked up so much previous lore that the head writer is now claiming this is still a conclusion to warcraft 3

So let's not mention tbc, wotlk, mop, legion...
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Feels like they're trying to rip off of FF14's Endwalker being the ending of the Zodiark story by saying this is the end of the current WoW saga a bit too much.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The "first book of the Warcraft saga" concluded here:

BfA and Shadowlands are filler.

The "second book of the Warcraft saga" is about to begin, and it will be about Light and Void, the two fundamental forces of the Warcraft franchise since the very beginning.
    Exactly this - defeat of the burning legion was the "first book" for me, too. Illidan, Arthas etc. all had sth. to do with the legion.

That claim is utter bullsh*t and Danuser should be ashamed to postulate this nonsense. At best Legion finished this 20 year long saga. Everything after is bad fanfiction.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Well, we have conclusion to some grand story - and its a story of Sylvanas, no?
    Okay, if you look at it this way, I agree - Shadowlands does conclude Sylvanas' story. Or, at least, it seems that it will.

That said, I got an impression that Steve meant something more than the story of one character, hence the threat and my opinion. If I simply misunderstood him then that's my mistake and I have no further issue with Steve's words.

And for all of that, i dream about some minor 9.3 patch with that kind of small stories. Baine with Cairne, Saurfang with his son, Durotan and Draka with Thrall. Arthas with Jaina, Jaina with Daelin. And Vol'jin still sleeping in Ardenweald. We dont need new locations with that. Even meeting in Oribos will work. Just give us some lore with familiar faces, not some shitfaced brokers, or automata(the f*ck) and other alien dudes.
    I do absolutely agree with that. I also feel like they really dropped the ball by not having more character moments in this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the implication here is that Shadowlands is meant to conclude the portion of the Warcraft saga that was focused singularly on Azeroth and things happening on or to it, and opening the door to a wider context of conflicts.
    As in - we're no longer just defending Azeroth, but the wider balance of the cosmic forces? Okay, I can see that, though in that sense, Shadowlands seems more like a beginning of a book, not an end, because it's the first time we so openly meddle with grander cosmic powers.
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2021-11-12 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Shadowlands fucked up so much previous lore that the head writer is now claiming this is still a conclusion to warcraft 3

So let's not mention tbc, wotlk, mop, legion...
    If it goes more there. a "We ruined so much the story and all the interesting plots that we have to start over from scratch."

Bit of a weird statement, if you ask me.

But it doesn't really bother me either way.

No. Hopefully the conclusion of WoW itself. Wishful thinking.
    This cat scratches free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Let's not introduce any "game vs. game" arguments in this thread.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I don't think WoW ever had good storytelling to begin with, but recent expansions have especially struggled to serve up much more than needless layering on top of what's already there. I'd still consider RTS through Wrath to be book 1, Cata/MoP to be 1.5, & WoD onwards to be "uhh we ran out of ideas so time travel n shit for now. Later on we'll add more layers of murk! Simple!"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post
    No. Hopefully the conclusion of WoW itself. Wishful thinking.
    Why would you want that instead of just continued cohesive story by more competent story writers?

Quote Originally Posted by confety View Post
    Its kinda funny how these new devs are removing so many things that previous devs put into the game but they are also using their better work to promote their own lower quality story.
    You think it's possible to have worse story writing than Classic Blizzard? Because Blizzard has always had some weak writing. WarCraft 3 had a cliffhanger ending that never actually amounted to anything for example. You spent most of the game playing as Ner'zhul's errand boy with a strong back and weak mind in Arthas, and then about 10 years later you find out that Arthas killed Ner'zhul off screen with some magically developed mind powers. Oooo. Lol. In TBC we killed 3 important WarCraft 3 characters who were suddenly villains but not really and then we killed a giant demon who got stuck in a hole. It was older Blizzard writers who took us from being your standard mercenaries to commanders to being super important on some cosmic scale and able to stand up to beings that should just squash us like bugs.

The best thing this new generation of Blizzard writers could do is severely weaken our characters in our fight with the jailer and send us back to Azeroth to deal with more mundane threats like the uprising of some elemental lord or, you know, Azeroth problems, and leave the cosmic shit to someone else. One thing I'm really enjoying about playing through the Classic expansions as Blizzard releases them is that I'm just some adventurer on Azeroth dealing with problems that aren't way beyond the scope of some Orc that started off collecting boar asses in Durotar and serving a warchief that started out as a sickly imprisoned Orc.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It sounds more like projection of the current state of Blizzard, not really the game. Blizzard itself is at a crossroads and is closing a lot of chapters with longtime devs leaving, changes, etc. I would still not be surprised to see the company renamed to try to reboot it's tarnished image. So they can say they are trying to close the book on chapter one, but it's more like their actions and failed response caused fans to leave which is making them think let's try to reboot things to bring players back with a new storyline.

It might be too little too late. Also doing this now while the wow leads are a mess of people leaving and unfilled positions doesn't seem ideal.

With Denathrius working with the Jailer, and the Nathrazim working for Denathrius, I think that's the strongest threads weaving all the way through the Warcraft story.

The Nathrazim were responsible for the Lich King.
    The Nathrazim were responsible for Sargaras.
    The Nathrazim continue to infiltrate and influence untold various groups.

In a way, the story of Warcraft up to this point has been the story of the Nathrazim. Before Shadlowlands, we would have said everything goes back to Sargeras and his crusade to scour the universe of life to deprive the void. Now, we know the Nathrazim that told Sargeras of the Void in the first place were working for Denathrius, so by extension, almost everything in Warcraft that we know has lead back to the Jailer.

kekw

imagine if someone would try to write lotr book 4 and say it would wrap up stories of previous books

warcraft was a creation of metzen and it's pretty much died with him leaving