Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I looked at how you where styling the phrase and it looked like you where getting annoyed at typing the same thing over and over - except you did it in one response so its kind of odd seing as how i didnt say or type anything in between that response.
    Nah, I am rarely annoyed. I though it was funny.

Anyway fair enough 20 minutes of wow isnt a lot. I'm suprised though why someone who plays mmo's and spend their time on an mmo site dedicated specifically to wow, the biggest ever western mmo bar none, have only played 20 minutes of wow.
    Before the launch of GW2 this forum was one of the largest GW2 hubs as already stated. I wouldn't even know this is a WOW-related forum if people on here didn't mention it directly. My browser link is direct to the subforums and I have never seen the WOW subforums, front page, or any of that in many years (probably since I first google Guild Wars 2 forums like 9-10 years ago). I have a browser script that blocks all advertising too. Wouldn't even notice this was a World Of Warcraft subforum site if you looked over my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I kind of forgot this is even a site dedicated to WoW since I rarely give the WoW sections a passing glance.

This thread reminded me that a lot of people here do in fact main WoW.
    I guess? I dont even play it anymore but thats mostly because its just been a pretty shit expansion.

I honestly think OSRS deserves some credit for its storytelling. Its quests are often memorable & the humour is fantastic, even if the gameplay itself is very, very marmite. I'd also say it's the best sandbox MMO I've played as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I honestly think OSRS deserves some credit for its storytelling. Its quests are often memorable & the humour is fantastic, even if the gameplay itself is very, very marmite. I'd also say it's the best sandbox MMO I've played as well.
    They have great quest design. There are not a lot of them but they made them stick and the writing was often excellent.

Story: Any mmo that lasts quite awhile rehashes the same story plots. SWTOR is the only one you can really forgive since StarWars is a fairy tale and until Disney ruined it the Universe was always going to have light vs dark until Anakin brought balance to the Force.

Gameplay: Ugh this is tough cause I really love multi char control games like Granado Espada and STO to a lesser extent. Plus you play both ground and space in STO but I think I'm going to have to go with WoW in the end.

Housing: Wildstar. I ended up building a massive Ice world by creating a bunch of characters on my brothers account and my own and putting the characters housing plots into a community plot( I think thats what it was called) with tons of creatures and spaceships, buildings, biomes, and stuff. Also created tons of buildings, statues, creatures, spaceships, robots, and other crazy shit on some other characters. Eso comes in second.

UI: Wow. Hands down best base UI out of any MMO.

Best Levelling Experience: I enjoy the lvling experience in Wow once but for multiple characters its horrible so I'm thinking maybe STO? You can passively level alts once you unlock the Admiralty System and Duty Officer systems on them and they usually have bonus events and shit so its pretty easy to level regularly if you want.

Best Raids/Dungeons: Wow. ESO dungeons were ok too. Dcuo has some ok ones as well.

Best Graphics: I think I gotta go with Wow since they age so well and everything else ends up looking kinda shitty and jank after 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
    Oooops, I tend to not PVP in MMOs, so completely forgot about it.

I agree they are not a true sandbox, no MMO can truly be one.
    Most people forget to mention pvp , most likely because most games dont really have that much pvp content. Wow kinda went out of their way with it

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Most people forget to mention pvp , most likely because most games dont really have that much pvp content. Wow kinda went out of their way with it
    Yeah, if I want to PVP, I'll play a proper PVP game. While it can be fun now and again in a MMO, I'd rather they don't waste too many resources on it.

The big wars GW2 and ESO went for, I just found extremely boring. But my opinion doesn't count for much here, because I didn't give it that much of a chance. It just seemed like a boring zerg most of the time.

Saying that, I loved my BH missions in SWG, and absolutlely hated being hunted as an early level Jedi lol. We need an up to date version of that game...
    Last edited by Tekko; 2021-11-06 at 01:59 AM.

I kind of forgot this is even a site dedicated to WoW since I rarely give the WoW sections a passing glance.

This thread reminded me that a lot of people here do in fact main WoW.
    I barely play WoW anymore yet it remains my most played game weekly. I guess videogames lost their ability to keep me engaged for entire hours a night like they used to. I only really have energy for a few hours a night so WoW stays fresh as a Twinkie for me

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    FF blows wow out of the water with dungeons and raids, like it's not even close the experiences
    Too bad they are far too easy. Savage are more interesting but still easy overall.

Best Story Telling: SWTOR/Gw2 and to a lesser extent Wow

FF 14 story telling sucks. I mean, the cinematic and dialog are nice but it is only fedex quest and the killing quests are beyond terrible. Overall, the best story though, just how it is told that sucks.

Best Gameplay: WoW

No competition here

Best Levelling Experience: SWTOR/GW2/WoW

The leveling is nice and you have a good time doing it in those game. FF 14 leveling is terrible. You either do the MSQ for your first run and you spam the roulette or the infinite dungeon for the other jobs. Pretty terrible.

Best Dungeons: WoW/FF14

I put FF14 in there because those dungeons are nice to see and some have a great atmosphere but most are forgetful. WHile I remember each dungeon in wow and even each boss name. Also FF14 dungeons are piss easy.

Best Raids: WoW

FF14 are just boss fight (and easy overall). There is not atmosphere in the raid (though usually where you are ported is beautiful).

Best Graphics: Undecided

Depends of your taste. Even Wow can be found nice.

Best Music: FF14

Overall, it is FF14, though Wow has some nice music as well.

There is a reason those two are the most played currently.
    Last edited by Specialka; 2021-11-08 at 07:48 AM.

Best Story Telling: FFXIV/SWTOR

I liked how SWTOR handled everything in that regard. I'd put it slightly ahead of FFXIV but FFXIV is good as well due to how they handle your character and the other main ones.

Best Gameplay: WoW

Yeah... at least overall.
    There are games with better combat but everything else is shit compared to how WoW handles gameplay inside dungeons/raids etc.

Best Sandbox: Eve

no competition

Best Levelling Experience: SWTOR/FF14/GW2

It's tied to the story telling imho.
    GW2 is mentioned here because you can level through a lot of things.

Best Dungeons: WoW/FF14

WoW for your difficulty kick, FF14 for the presentation

Best Raids: WoW/FF14

same here

Best Graphics: certainly *not* WoW/SWTOR

WoW has horrible animations the graphics aren't beautiful either. The game is old and it shows at every corner.
    Same with SWTOR but even worse.

Best Music: FF14

WoW music is pretty boring with very, very few exception. The only time I actually enjoyed WoW music was the Login screen during Vanilla and some MoP/WoD stuff.

Most FF14 songs are a hit.
    Most recent favorite: Castrum Marinum Theme (P2) could listen to all the time.

Sandbox: EVE Online

Music: For me it's between EVE and WoW. I think to appreciate the music of EVE you have to experience it while playing, as I'm not sure it would have the same impact hearing it out of context. Hearing something like this when you're floating in an asteroid belt with the rays of light from a nearby star streaming through just makes for a really serene experience:

Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2021-11-08 at 10:07 AM.

Graphics - FF14. All the major MMOs are approaching a decade or more in a age. FF14s art style is still amazing. People literally play the game just to create cool screenshots.
    Don't fully agree here, while the characters can look great and transmog options are awesome. I've finally got the class I want to play in Endwalker to lvl 80 and I am currently doing the end game story content I didn't do on my first 80, and going through the open world zones in Shadowbringers, they all look like crap. Like really bad.

This is on max graphics, 4K and using Gshade (without Gshade it's 10x worse).

Now, I am not saying certain dungeons can't look amazing, they do. But to dismiss other MMOs like GW2 and WoW is just plainly wrong. They all have their own artstyles, and each can look amazing given the right circumstances.
    Last edited by Tekko; 2021-11-13 at 01:55 AM.

I'd love to know why so many MMOS feel so floaty compared to WoW. I have yet to find one where the controls are as satisfying as WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I'd love to know why so many MMOS feel so floaty compared to WoW. I have yet to find one where the controls are as satisfying as WoW.
    I'd also like to know this, this is why WoW normally wins on gameplay. If you're gonna create a similar game, get the bare essentials correct.

You are used to WOW, that is why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No MMO comes close to character control compared to WoW.

Pretty sure you said you've never played WoW properly, so you can't really judge.

I played MMOs before WoW. I started with DAoC and ACII.

No MMO comes close to character control compared to WoW.

Pretty sure you said you've never played WoW properly, so you can't really judge.
    That is just your opinion based on what you are used to playing. You're conditioned to that particular animation rigging in WoW over X number of hours one may have played it- likely intensely.

WoW has excellent visual presentation. Even if a customer didn't play it intensly, it often leaves an impression because it is well designed to communicate visually to the player it's reactivity.

I haven't played WOW is a very long time, but I also said I had played in the past when it was a newer game.

More importantly I played other games for a very long time, where I got used to the animation rigging of those games. These other games to my expectations, such as WOW actually, "don't even come close" by comparison. It's a natural bias that develops because I have gotten used to the way FF14 plays compared to Archeage, for example.

It's just personal bias in the player's part whether you like hearing that or not. It's not unique to WoW either.

It is a common bias in other genres and games. I have done hundreds of focus groups where players of a particular game will claim such & such doesn't compare in control or "responsive feel" to other genre competitors. For example, a group we had discussed Fortnite and another a few months ago on The Division. Players of those games claimed their respective genre competitors don't "feel" as good as the game they were conditioned to playing or preferred playing. Literary, every player of a game claims the other genre offerings don't "feel" as good as another.

Sorry. WoW did not crack a secret code of control. It's a well-made game people got used to playing. Just like other games in other genres.

- - - Updated - - -

I played MMOs before WoW. I started with DAoC and ACII.
    That doesn't mean you didn't acclimate to WoW's visual reactivity.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-11-13 at 05:27 PM.

That is just your opinion based on what you are used to playing. You're conditioned to that particular animation rigging in WoW over X number of hours one may have played it- likely intensely.
    Yes it's my opinion, and I am not conditioned that way. I play other MMOs more than I play WoW and WoW wasn't my first MMO either, I played others before it was even released.

The vast majority will agree WoW has superior gameplay to other MMOs, I do think the rotations in WoW are uninspiring though, but that is not the factor of gameplay I am judging it on.

It is all opinion at the end of the day, and we can agree to disagree, no point arguing over it or discussing it further.

Yes it's my opinion, and I am not conditioned that way. I play other MMOs more than I play WoW and WoW wasn't my first MMO either, I played others before it was even released.

The vast majority will agree WoW has superior gameplay to other MMOs, I do think the rotations in WoW are uninspiring though, but that is not the factor of gameplay I am judging it on.

It is all opinion at the end of the day, and we can agree to disagree, no point arguing over it or discussing it further.
    Neither asking for or providing my own opinion on the gameplay of World of Warcraft.

I replied directly to a poster asking why other games feel floaty and the controls not as good in other games by comparison; the answer is factual because players get used to the way WoW plays just like fans of particular games get used to the feel of their respective genre preferences.

The quality of the gameplay I am not speaking on at all. Just the acclimation to animation rigging Blizzard use for their game; this type of sentiment is shared in many games and genres by consumers.