Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Can someone explain this is in more details? From what I read those 3rd party addon managers were using Curse servers / resources to download the addons, so Curse was taking the costs of hosting, but at the same time Curse was getting no money from it. Why is it unfair that they want to limit this? And on top of that they aren't doing a hard block.

Or am I missing something?
    It's not really unfair and they're entirely in their right to do this imo.

They pay addon developers through a rewards program for ads that people view when downloading addons or subscribing to the ad-free experience. It's pretty bizarre for people to expect them to develop the app, host the addons, develop the API and STILL pay the add-on developers when people are bypassing their source of revenue using third party applications.

Quote Originally Posted by TommiTMX View Post
    It's not really unfair and they're entirely in their right to do this imo.

They pay addon developers through a rewards program for ads that people view when downloading addons or subscribing to the ad-free experience. It's pretty bizarre for people to expect them to develop the app, host the addons, develop the API and STILL pay the add-on developers when people are bypassing their source of revenue using third party applications.
    shh, don't make sense here. We already had one person claiming this will kill WoW. that's the kind of people you're going against. Facts and logic do not work, only emotional, irrational hatred.

Ah, ok thanks, guess that works.
    Thought I was missing something judging by the emotional reactions.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Ah yes let's janitor dozens of add-ons by visiting each download page to check for updates by hand like cavemen
    I'd hate to be that guy, but in my circle of friends that was pretty common back when Vanilla was released.

If it weren't for the facts that the Curseforge client requries another software to run in the background to use, and the fact that Ajour scans for addons from more than just CF pages, I might have used the CF client.

EDIT: I used to pay for the old Curse client v5 to not get the ads, and to update addons without queues.
    Last edited by DarkLimpan; 2021-11-15 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... even if i were to visit the page to manually download it they're not getting any ad revenue from my visit...
    Considering the amount of addons you have, you seem to rely on them greatly.
    So... you're expecting addon devs to make addons for you for free, then some additional service to automatically keep them updated, for free.

That's the only acceptable option for you?
    Last edited by procne; 2021-11-15 at 11:13 AM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

What people don't seem to get here: Overwolf is paying addon authors per download count.

If people don't go to their homepage, or use their client with built-in adds, they won't create any income for Overwolf. Without income for Overwolf, how are they supposed to support the authors?
    It costs them money to host the addons (including a complete version repository), and they indirectly motivate addon authors by allowing them to earn some money without directly monetizing the addons themselves (which would be against Blizzard's ToS).

A possible solution would probably be that before you can download addons from their page via API would be that you have to go to their homepage first - so you can use your download manager, but before you can start downloading the addons you have to click a link provided by your third party addon manager first.

adblockers, ever heard of it?
    Is getting everything for free the only acceptable option for you?

i'm not enabling any ads to get my computer infected from ads... my computer matters more to me than what some addon author makes from ads...
    That's not the answer.

So far everything you talk about boils down to getting the spoils without letting anyone profit from it.

Considering the amount of addons you have, you seem to rely on them greatly.
    So... you're expecting addon devs to make addons for you for free, then some additional service to automatically keep them updated, for free.

That's the only acceptable option for you?
    To be honest... yes.

Addons were made by players for players. It was like a hobby, to make a WoW better place.
    I think that everyone should be able to put their addons on the Curseforge website... and then the website would get money from the traffic/adds and use part of that money and help the addon-makers.

It's much better(but also less profitable I guess?) than downloading some kind of spyware.

I am using like 5-7 addons at max and to be honest I am totally fine with updating them manually. I am doing that like once per month? Even less friequently, I didn't update a few for almost a year!

Hell, if I had to pay for addons I just wouldn't use them. There are like 2 maybe 3 addons that are almost mandatory(though not really), rest is just a bonus that I could easily live without... and I am pretty sure there are people who would still make their addons for free, but not put them on the curseforge.

i'm not enabling any ads to get my computer infected from ads... my computer matters more to me than what some addon author makes from ads...
    That's totally reasonable.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2021-11-15 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    To be honest... yes.

Addons were made by players for players. It was like a hobby, to make a WoW better place.
    I think that everyone should be able to put their addons on the Curseforge website... and then the website would get money from the traffic/adds and use part of that money and help the addon-makers.

It's much better(but also less profitable I guess?) than downloading some kind of spyware.

I am using like 5-7 addons at max and to be honest I am totally fine with updating them manually. I am doing that like once per month? Even less friequently, I didn't update a few for almost a year!
    That's what I do as well. And that's what Overwolf is proposing too. And that's what the people in this thread are so outraged about.
    Addons are free, but Curseforge is providing hosting, and the client provides automatic updates, so they want the ads to be viewed.

That's what I do as well. And that's what Overwolf is proposing too. And that's what the people in this thread are so outraged about.
    Addons are free, but Curseforge is providing hosting, and the client provides automatic updates, so they want the ads to be viewed.
    Watching ads on their website? Making it unusable with the add-blocks? Sure, as long as the adds aren't taking like >50% of the website and are pop-ups, and impossible to not click.

Downloading some kind of spyware? No.

> Addons were made by players for players. It was like a hobby, to make a WoW better place.

That sounds great and it works fine when you've got a small audience. When things go big you need a decent infrastructure. Which costs money. A lot of money. Maybe traffic and ads aren't enough to sustain the costs, we don't know.

Curseforge's job could easily be reproduced by maintaining an addon database on some github repo + writing a custom client to pull from that and present a nice UI, but addon devs won't do that because they think they deserve money for their half baked shit

The whole thing is a travesty. We shouldn't have to pile up dozens of add-ons on a game made by a multi billion dollar company to make its UI not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Curseforge's job could easily be reproduced by maintaining an addon database on some github repo + writing a custom client to pull from that and present a nice UI, but addon devs won't do that because they think they deserve money for their half baked shit

The whole thing is a travesty. We shouldn't have to pile up dozens of add-ons on a game made by a multi billion dollar company to make its UI not suck.
    Sure, do that for free

Quote Originally Posted by Cattyrin View Post
    I hope Blizzard gets annoyed by this as well cuz then they'll send out the lawyers to do (hopefully) good things for once.
    On what grounds do you think Blizzard would or even could sue? Overwolf can do whatever the fuck they want with their stuff. Is ist inconvenient? Sure. But they have to earn money, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Watching ads on their website? Making it unusable with the add-blocks? Sure, as long as the adds aren't taking like >50% of the website and are pop-ups, and impossible to not click.

Downloading some kind of spyware? No.
    Well, it's their site and their DB, so they get to dictate the rules under which you are using it. If you don't like it you can use other options. I'm guessing addon creators host their addons on other sites or directly? My point is - if you don't like the price a company puts on their product then strop using it, rather than complaining you can't use it for free

- - - Updated - - -

then they will need to include a clause that they will compensate you monetarily for any data loss or any other kind of damage resulting from malicious ads from their client/webpage...
    blablabla always an excuse. Stop using Curse and stop complaining they don't provide stuff for free.
    Leech

That's not the answer.

So far everything you talk about boils down to getting the spoils without letting anyone profit from it.
    I'm willing to bet the person you're responding to pirates shows off the web too. It seems like the type of argument I expect from someone who gets all their media off p2p sharing.

Can someone explain this is in more details? From what I read those 3rd party addon managers were using Curse servers / resources to download the addons, so Curse was taking the costs of hosting, but at the same time Curse was getting no money from it. Why is it unfair that they want to limit this? And on top of that they aren't doing a hard block.

Nah, thats basically it. Overwolf hosts the stuff, pays the Addon Authors some form of Money. But People demand the Corporation to just run a Charity. Because its outragous for them to earn something.

They are doing hard block though.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, ok thanks, guess that works.
    Thought I was missing something judging by the emotional reactions.
    Overwolf is piece of shit software that shouldn't go near any working computer.