Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I'm not worried how the heat will feel - I've gotten used to it before - but rather the performance drop from overheating.

Thing is you don't actually have to use a laptop anymore you can get good wireless keyboard+mouse, plunk your pc next to your bed and use a monitor arm to have the monitor over your bed.
    The ergonomics are 1000% better and it removes the thermal issues
    you can also use this solution with a laptop, just need a side table to put it on as long as you cable manage the monitor cable properly its a pretty nice setup and no more heat/crappy ergonomics
    This obviously depends on how your bed/room is setup but it might be worth looking into
    Also new laptops probably have alot more power budget then what you were used to so they will heat you up quite a bit more then before

It depends on how you want to use them. And before I say any more, I highly discourage anyone from going with Alienware - they're utter garbage and massively overpriced.

Personally, I'm running the MSI GP66 Leopard 10UG on the side, which has a dedicated RTX 3070 Mobile. This laptop can run most modern games on 1440p at high / ultra settings with 60 fps.

Using its own 1080p 144hz monitor, it manages all but maybe some insane titles on ultra at 144fps no problems.

So... in a nutshell... yes. Gaming laptops are good as long as you keep your gaming expectations somewhere between 60-144 fps depending on whether you go for 1080 or 1440. But for that, you would need to at least invest ~1500-2000€ since a dedicated GPU is a must have.

On a side note: they're absolutely much louder than a normal desktop configuration due to their fans being sh... well, what can you really expect? They're running wild to keep the hardware cool in that confined space.
    Corsair 4000X RGB || AMD Ryzen 9 5900X || ASUS ROG Strix X570-F || AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Sapphire Pulse
    64GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3600 || NZXT Kraken X63

Yes I think. Because I see lots of people are still buying gaming laptop for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarez View Post
    On a side note: they're absolutely much louder than a normal desktop configuration due to their fans being sh... well, what can you really expect? They're running wild to keep the hardware cool in that confined space.
    Gaming laptops performance is somewher between low end and mid-range from desktops.

The noise issue seems small on paper, but it is not. The fans are small and loud at gaming and the noise source is at ear hight and db(a) measurements are worthless, because you cant compare a noise source in your face, to a gaming PC under your desk.

My 10900k (250W) + 3090 (350W) gaming system runs at MAXIMUM GAMING HEAT with fans just hitting 800-900 RPM, under my desk, far away from my ears - its just audible at MAXIMUM OUTPUT and drops to not audible at all under idle.

You cant do that with a gaming notebook and we dont even have to talk about the enourmous performance differences.
    -

7+ Year Old Account
    I bought almost 2k € MSI gaming laptop with I think rtx 2070 and I have to get rid of it after few months. Its temperatures were unbearable, I don't understand why are they making "gaming" laptops so thin and lightweight. I doubt most people buying expensive gaming laptop will use it to daily carry, but instead it will sit on the desk for most of time, so there is no reason not to build them with propper cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Gaming laptops performance is somewher between low end and mid-range from desktops.

The noise issue seems small on paper, but it is not. The fans are small and loud at gaming and the noise source is at ear hight and db(a) measurements are worthless, because you cant compare a noise source in your face, to a gaming PC under your desk.

My 10900k (250W) + 3090 (350W) gaming system runs at MAXIMUM GAMING HEAT with fans just hitting 800-900 RPM, under my desk, far away from my ears - its just audible at MAXIMUM OUTPUT and drops to not audible at all under idle.

You cant do that with a gaming notebook and we dont even have to talk about the enourmous performance differences.
    It's a clear trade off. You can't take your rig comfortably to any trip. If all one is planning to do is to have the laptop sit on a desk all day and never move it, there is no point to it.

But if you want to be flexible and mobile, a proper gaming laptop is a valid choice nowadays.
    Corsair 4000X RGB || AMD Ryzen 9 5900X || ASUS ROG Strix X570-F || AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Sapphire Pulse
    64GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3600 || NZXT Kraken X63

Ergonomics aside, everyone today knows what kind of deal they're signing with a laptop of any sort, right?
    Thermal design. That will be a problem of various magnitude. Some models might be better, but it will still be there. The fans will be blasting, so get a decent pair of headphones. And then to the worst, the guts of that PC will be under some serious stress. Play any serious game and your system will pretty much be thermally throttling its internals from start to finish. How long will it last boils down to your luck (obviously some models are better than the others. Which though, your guess is as good as mine). I've had some (my own and from close enough friends to treat as trustworthy source of information) last till their obsolescence, and some just dying on you in 1 to 2 years.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can´t believe the many replies.

Yes, they are. In fact, as good as many PC tower set ups and even better.

Cooling is not even an issue. I played MSX loaded with 900gb of mods. Raided wow at high settings and even played Assetto Corsa and Dirt rally on a laptop before I bought my PC.

Yes, they will heat up like crazy, but as simple as keeping it clean and getting a cooling pad will do. Also, do not buy a thin laptop, use logic there: you need space for air to flow.

PC benefit is that you can mount up the best GPUs and stronger CPUs, cooling is stronger and so you can afford higher performance.

Button line: you can play at 50/80 FPS at the highest settings on nearly any "gaming" laptop on a 1400ish budget. It will get hot, but it will handle it just fine. And no, yo do not need (nor can appreciate) gaming above 50 FPS. That is like claiming that you can notice higher pixel count on small printed images... bs.
    Last edited by shise; 2021-11-26 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you don’t see frames above 50 that’s a you thing. Going from 165 to 60 is quite noticeable for me.
    I didn't notice going from 60 to 144, but I notice going from 144 to 60.

Oddly enough, 60 on console is fine to me, but I'm also further away and using a separate display, so that might be why

Well, of course, the gaming notebook will be very cool to work, because it is powerful, but if you need only for work you will not use all the power of video card notebook, so that can waste your money, buy a new laptop from Apple, stylish and high-quality, and for work or normal use at all ideal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marina34 View Post
    Well, of course, the gaming notebook will be very cool to work, because it is powerful, but if you need only for work you will not use all the power of video card notebook
    That depends HEAVILY on your work

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That depends HEAVILY on your work
    Totally agree with you