Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I guess this might wrap it up for people who are on the fence about quitting or not, and don't want to get even more spyware on their machines.

And yes, they could update each and every single addon manually, but they won't.

In the end there doesn't seem to be much Blizzard can do about this other than making the game fully playable without addons, something that it's not. Although it doesn't need as many as people may think they need or use.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Nothing stops anyone from creating a free alternative. After all we already had one expert claiming it to be easy.
    That's all there is to it - for community to prepare such tools and addon DB themselves.

So far seems everyone relied on tools (whether client or the website) provided by a company, the one they hate so much, and now that the company got fed up with the freeloaders, they cry like little babies.
    Thing is, people relied on Curse long before it got bought out by the piece of shit company that currently owns it and forces its bullshit on us.

What better way to force your terrible product down people's throats than to buy an established platform and then turn it into shit?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    wasn't their own client the twitch client?
    They had a Curse client before that, which had ads and download wait times unless you decided to pay for the premium version. It's quite a while ago though.

wasn't their own client the twitch client?
    They had their own client before Twitch bought them.

Then Twitch deleted Curse client and released Twitch client in its place. But they left the API open for 3rd party clients people prefer using.

Then Twitch sold Curse to Overwolf and now they're forcing people on their shit client by closing down the API.

Aw man, Ajour is brilliant.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the player base have no add-ons installed.

adblockers, ever heard of it?
    Yes and? Some people use them, others don't or deactivate them just for that reason. If they go to their homepage there is at least a chance they get some revenue, if they don't got there isn't even the chance.

And not sure why you think you need to brag about using a service they offer but refuse to support them. It's fully OK and understandable if you fear that you get malicious software, but then don't complain later when more and more content is only available behind a paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Ah yes let's janitor dozens of add-ons by visiting each download page to check for updates by hand like cavemen
    I never stopped doing this.

Considering the amount of addons you have, you seem to rely on them greatly.
    So... you're expecting addon devs to make addons for you for free, then some additional service to automatically keep them updated, for free.

That's the only acceptable option for you?
    Actually it's against the rules to monetize addons for WoW. So yes, we are expecting the addons to be free.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Actually it's against the rules to monetize addons for WoW. So yes, we are expecting the addons to be free.
    Addons are free. But we're talking about hosting and automatic updates service. I think you should reread the news
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Honestly this could be as damaging to the cohesion of the playerbase as anything Blizzard has themselves done to their game, and Blizzard probably needs to take action here. Overwolf is pissing in their cheerios if a move like this is going to stand to frustrate and alienate players who will either have to play without some addons or inconvenience themselves by relearning how to find and update them again.

Blizz courted this issue of course by letting 3rd parties fix their game's UX for them with eager add-on development.

Could be a good moment in 10.0 for Blizzard to just bring the add-on business in house, program some of the functionality right into the game of certain very popular ones and those that may be seen as widely indispensable by players, and then just adopting Square Enix's approach to client-side mods.

Overwolf is a horrible app, been using WoWup. I'll probably just stop using CurseForge altogether after this goes through.

Shame .. it's a great lightweight addon manager.

First, they create a monopoly for addons. Then comes the paywalls. It's just a matter of time before they lock down addons by limiting download speed to 1Kb/s and 1 download per hour unless you buy a premium sub. They are monetizing addons and people do nothing to fight back. it's sad

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    First, they create a monopoly for addons. Then comes the paywalls. It's just a matter of time before they lock down addons by limiting download speed to 1Kb/s and 1 download per hour unless you buy a premium sub. They are monetizing addons and people do nothing to fight back. it's sad
    Lol, a monopoly. How did they create a monopoly?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Lol, a monopoly. How did they create a monopoly?
    They may not have yet. But is anything stopping them from simply telling addon authors they can only post their work on Curseforge and if they are caught posting it elsewhere they forfeit any earnings from Curseforge? I'd have to guess Curseforge is the author's biggest source of income from addons, so some/a lot may accept these terms.

Quote Originally Posted by btlcryct View Post
    They may not have yet. But is anything stopping them from simply telling addon authors they can only post their work on Curseforge and if they are caught posting it elsewhere they forfeit any earnings from Curseforge? I'd have to guess Curseforge is the author's biggest source of income from addons, so some/a lot may accept these terms.
    The dbm author has said it's like half iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    The dbm author has said it's like half iirc.
    Let's go with that then. 50% from Curseforge alone and the other 50% from say 3-5 other sources. Overwolf could just spin it as helping the author 'streamline' their income so 100% only comes from them by making basically a no compete clause with their agreement with the authors. There's your road to a monopoly to outline what glowpipe said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Ah yes let's janitor dozens of add-ons by visiting each download page to check for updates by hand like cavemen
    Still better than letting Overwolf anywhere fucking near my PC. You could put a gun to my head and I'd still rather do it manually than deal with Overwolf's shit-tier malware ever again.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by btlcryct View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's where the Blizzard would step in with the "free addons" thing. Because that's when it's no longer customers paying for distribution service, but for the addon itself, if it's not available anywhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Still better than letting Overwolf anywhere fucking near my PC. You could put a gun to my head and I'd still rather do it manually than deal with Overwolf's shit-tier malware ever again.
    This gun analogy doesn't really add any credibility or weight to what you're saying.