Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's where the Blizzard would step in with the "free addons" thing. Because that's when it's no longer customers paying for distribution service, but for the addon itself, if it's not available anywhere else.
    It would still be free, you would just be required to use their client in order for them to get the ad revenue. So I'm not sure if Blizzard would step in or not.

Quote Originally Posted by btlcryct View Post
    It would still be free, you would just be required to use their client in order for them to get the ad revenue. So I'm not sure if Blizzard would step in or not.
    If there are exclusivity deals then I believe they would. And probably it would be addon creators who's targeted by Blizzard, as such deals mean they are making / selling addons for money.
    Besides, it's not like Overwolf is blocking the access to the addons yet.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

If there are exclusivity deals then I believe they would. And probably it would be addon creators who's targeted by Blizzard, as such deals mean they are making / selling addons for money.
    Besides, it's not like Overwolf is blocking the access to the addons yet.
    "Yet" being the keyword. Let's hope it doesn't go down the road outlined. Overwolf could even try to spin it to Blizzard that they aren't charging for the addons, but the hosting of it. Say $4.99 a month to access the database whether you download 1 addon or 100. So you're paying for the service and not a per-addon/direct per addon charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    This gun analogy doesn't really add any credibility or weight to what you're saying.
    Oh, I'm sorry. Allow me to explain: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...gun+to+my+head

The phrase 'you could put a gun to my head' is a commonly-used idiom in the English language which is used for hyperbolic emphasis in discussing an undesirable situation, to display the strength of one's feelings on a given topic. It can also be used in the second person to emphasize the non-urgency of a situation, though typically in a way meant to steer the listener toward doing the thing anyway.

Clearly, my use of the idiom is covered by my first example. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Thage; 2021-11-15 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Don't care enough to go figuring out how to pit in a link, fuck it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Let's go with that then. 50% from Curseforge alone and the other 50% from say 3-5 other sources. Overwolf could just spin it as helping the author 'streamline' their income so 100% only comes from them by making basically a no compete clause with their agreement with the authors. There's your road to a monopoly to outline what glowpipe said.
    Well, the other half is direct donations, like from patreon mostly, which I think they can put right on their Cursforge mod page.

None of the other pages (github, wowinterface, etc) pays, at least I don't believe wowinterface does

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Well, the other half is direct donations, like from patreon mostly, which I think they can put right on their Cursforge mod page.

None of the other pages (github, wowinterface, etc) pays, at least I don't believe wowinterface does
    Wonder if Curseforge gets a cut of the Patreon donation if someone goes to Patreon from the Curseforge link, if they allow one.

Wonder if Curseforge gets a cut of the Patreon donation if someone goes to Patreon from the Curseforge link, if they allow one.
    unlikely, they don't regulate the link.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/deadly-boss-mods

he's got it right at the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Why would they? Is it against any laws to host wow addons? The developers don't want to host their addons for free on github to never see any kind of return. They host it on overwolf to generate something back for their hard work. Can't blame them either.

In the end, the users are at fault for wanting everything for free. Besides that seeing ads while updating add-ons once a month is really no dealbreaker..
    I have nothing against the addon devs getting a bit of pocket change, it's honestly nothing considering the time they spend but anyway. I just don't want sketchy parasite companies like Overwolf to have any involvement (or exist). Also, I really want to use open-source software, which I do whenever possible.

"Yet" being the keyword. Let's hope it doesn't go down the road outlined. Overwolf could even try to spin it to Blizzard that they aren't charging for the addons, but the hosting of it. Say $4.99 a month to access the database whether you download 1 addon or 100. So you're paying for the service and not a per-addon/direct per addon charge.
    And then they would meet in the court and I doubt Overwolf lawyers could spin it their way. Not to mention that Blizzard could simply start blocking addons.
    Also, as I said, Blizzard would go after addon creators, as they would be clearly profitting from the addon creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry. Allow me to explain: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...gun+to+my+head
    Sigh, we all know you would install the app in an instant if someone threatened you with as little as punching you in the face or taking your phone. Because you're not dumb to be bothered more about stupid app than your wealth or well-being (or the consequences of any other threat). And since everyone knows what you said earlier is completely untrue and pulled out of the ass it creates the impression that anything you say might be pulled in similar fasion, or simply blown out of proportion, or just an overreaction. That line meant basically nothing, pity it was 60% of your post. Similar to how kids like to use big words and make promises, big-eyed with excitement, without putting much thought into it.

Also, the meaning of the idiom is different - it's about being coerced into doing something against your will and doing it, because you have no other choice. It uses an extreme situation where everyone does everything they're told to. The very notion of choice is absent from that idiom

Anyway, whatever. That's how it may be seen. You do you
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

And then they would meet in the court and I doubt Overwolf lawyers could spin it their way. Not to mention that Blizzard could simply start blocking addons.
    Also, as I said, Blizzard would go after addon creators, as they would be clearly profitting from the addon creation.
    If they were to suddenly block addons, which is their right I get it, that would kill the game. I've been playing for 15 years and have probably played with close to 200 people (I'm talking to the point that I've actually talked to them on voice chat, not stuff like LFG/LFR/etc.), and in that time only 1 person did not use at least one addon. She considered addons to be cheating. I think if they suddenly blocked addons, we'd see a mass exodus from the game. Not to mentioned, they've even said they now design boss fights around the assumption people use stuff like DBM. We'd have to go back to Vanilla style boss fights.

If they were to suddenly block addons, which is their right I get it, that would kill the game. I've been playing for 15 years and have probably played with close to 200 people (I'm talking to the point that I've actually talked to them on voice chat, not stuff like LFG/LFR/etc.), and in that time only 1 person did not use at least one addon. She considered addons to be cheating. I think if they suddenly blocked addons, we'd see a mass exodus from the game. Not to mentioned, they've even said they now design boss fights around the assumption people use stuff like DBM. We'd have to go back to Vanilla style boss fights.
    In that scenario I think majority of players would switch from the "paid" addons to the free substitutes before Blizz used a move like this.
    Or rather people would simply take those addons and upload them to some free site for everyone to use, simply because addon code must be viewable and accessible to the public. And neither addon creators nor Overwolf can do anything about it

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...nt-policy/1642

edit: There is no way to monopolise this market by exclusivity. Only by convenience
    Last edited by procne; 2021-11-15 at 05:01 PM.

so rather than talking with their home-based competitors that are taking away revenue to see how they can improve and maybe hire them, they want to monopolize the market on a dying game. i don't know if they do mods for games other than wow but this is such a shortsighted and idiotic move.

Thanks to all of you who have given us time away from the travesty of an addon manager that the demise of the old curse left us using. You all were great!

So, why is not every addon author uploading their stuff to wow interface instead? And why isn't blizzard hosting their own addon repository?

Wago.io looks set to take on the fight, they are offering 85% revenue share.

honestly i see 0 issues with this. Curseforge is allowed to do what they wish

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    What would be the point? The game allows addons and it got a build in version check and you can enable/disable addons, since a while even without restarting the game.

Some people use no addons at all, some use broken addons and update them daily (target audience for this addon managers) and some use custom addons that many times dont even need any updated, not even between expansions.
    Integrating an addon manager directly into the Battle.net platform would offer numerous benefits to end users and addon developers. Developers would have a single source where their addons will gain exposure, and users will have a single source where they can download and sync them from without needing to download an additional client.

Blizzard would gain the benefit of oversight of addons, potentially allowing them to prevent addons which break game functionality or go too far with options (like the mod from Wrath-era which allowed drawing shapes in the 3D game world, which potentially trivialised some content). Of course it wouldn't stop developers distributing such addons through other means, but it could reduce their impact if less users are aware of it.

Blizzard could potentially give developers something in return. Maybe not money directly (due to the legalities associated with that), but battlenet credit, free games, free game subscription time, WoW tokens, etc. They'd likely need to ensure that people can't just create a trash addon that does nothing and then get free stuff, but there's definitely an avenue that Blizzard could explore for hosting addons.

I don't believe they'll do such a thing of course because it'd mean spending money on developing the service and the ongoing maintenance costs of hosting the service, but I personally think it'd be better than this situation we find ourselves in now (with Overwolf being despised by many in the community). Things were great when the WoWAce updater still existed, but that was a long time ago.

As soon as it is possible to monetize something, it is and then suddenly people come out under their rocks and whine that these companies and the people that did just fine for free now deserves and should be entitled to $$$$$$

Same crap all the time, why? Its amazing how fast these defenders show up.

Also, really, how much does it cost to store maybe 100 megabytes of data (whole resp)? Even a basic phone can transfer terabytes of data without issues every few days. Internet is becoming more centralized and more costly, like its pretty much the agenda. But you can still host things your self. Nobody remember FTPs? Whole file structures there. There seem to be this mindset that everything need to hosted at Microsoft or Amazon for stupidly high cost, you can do just fine with cheaper options. You dont need to maximize your 1gbit connections for 500KB-files

Also people complaining about the work, how inefficient are some of you? Once this whole deal was sealed i just put short cuts (links for some of you) in my interface folder that links directly to the download. Once the files are downloaded its just right click and unpack.

So sad the way internet is going

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The main concern is the note at the end that this will likely break all other addon managers. That would be a huge mistake by Blizz. Blizzard has incorporated some addons into built-in functionality over the years, but every class has 5-10+ addons that are essentially mandatory for end game gameplay. Although I've done it before in a pinch, it's too time consuming to manually go check every installed addon for a new version everyday and upgrade them. Curseforge by itself going away is nbd, but if this breaks all addon managers as it sounds, that's huge.

Addon maintenance had already become a problem as more addon devs have moved on to other things as wow's popularity has dwindled. But this is a move only someone that has never played wow at all would make. If someone were making a list of how to discourage past players from returning to wow or to how to push current players away, this would be in the top 5. In the past whenever addon managers have temporarily not been working, every raid I've been in has started with an hour+ delay while half the group manually upgrades all of their addons to the same latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    But this is a move only someone that has never played wow at all would make.
    Which move? What does Blizzard have to do with it? What are you talking about?